• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

ghst

thanks for the laugh
QuickKick89 said:
Seriously, how can this system survive with an 8.8 to carry it for 6 months to a year (more likely a year)

Zelda is not, nor will it ever be "an 8.8" despite what some fat guy thinks.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Thought I'd liven this thread up with some Red Steel screens from PantherLotus' thread: :D
PantherLotus said:
Red Steel

:)

scr_089.jpg

scr_090.jpg

scr_091.jpg

scr_092.jpg

scr_093.jpg

scr_094.jpg

scr_095.jpg

scr_096.jpg

scr_097.jpg

scr_098.jpg

scr_099.jpg

scr_100.jpg

scr_101.jpg

scr_102.jpg

scr_103.jpg

scr_104.jpg

scr_105.jpg

scr_106.jpg

scr_107.jpg

scr_108.jpg

scr_109.jpg

scr_110.jpg

scr_111.jpg

scr_112.jpg

scr_113.jpg

scr_114.jpg

scr_115.jpg

scr_116.jpg

scr_117.jpg

Ashodin

It's also quite possible that they're reviewing everything on the system less because they want to really shine Zelda nice.

The guys at EGM have been saying for months that Red Steel's played like shit. This doesn't seem to come as that much of a surprise.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
UBI would of payed a million yen for an 8.8. :lol

I just get this general feeling that some gaming purist sites simply will never like the Wii no matter what games come out for it. The detest the notion of "waggle" and will show it in every review. Too bad the Wii will sell like gang-busters regardless.

Xeke

Banned
Maxrpg said:
It's also quite possible that they're reviewing everything on the system less because they want to really shine Zelda nice.

Yea that 8.8 is really shining through...

Lobster

Banned
I don't get what reviewers are getting at..This game looks as decent has Half Life 2 and as far as im concerned Half Life 2 is a brilliant looking game. Way above my expectations.

Look at the damn explosions..can't wait to experience em in person.

This is what I'm not liking about these reviews from GS

GregK said:
Red Steel might have looked pretty good for the time, had it been released a few years ago. But between all the bland, blurry textures, the sluggish frame rate, and the plain-looking weapons and characters, it's decidedly below par by today's standards

Their graphical standards are impossibly high for what the Wii is capable of...they expect stuff to look like 360 and PS3 games.

I mean, they're gonna have to knock Mario Galaxy's graphics because it probably could have been done on the Gamecube, even though it looks absolutely beautiful.

Xeke

Banned
clearacell said:

Their graphical standards are impossibly high for what the Wii is capable of...they expect stuff to look like 360 and PS3 games.

I mean, they're gonna have to knock Mario Galaxy's graphics because it probably could have been done on the Gamecube, even though it looks absolutely beautiful.

Are you kidding??? RE4 looks much better then Red Steel as does Super Mario Galaxy.

hyp

i guess the question we should be asking everyone is... did you really expect this game to score higher than a 7?

Graphics got a 6? I realise Red Steel has an odd art style, but the game is easily the best looking on Wii right now.

I don't trust Gamespot reviews anymore after today. They're complete trash, even if their Red Steel review turns out to be accurate.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I dunno the graphics look fine to me with the exception of the characters, but still I'd think it deserves more than a 6. A 7 at least.

Deepblue

Banned
BlindN-Fan said:
I don't get what reviewers are getting at..This game looks as decent has Half Life 2 and as far as im concerned Half Life 2 is a brilliant looking game. Way above my expectations.

whatdog.gif

It's fairly obvious that you have not played HL2.

caldazar

On the plus side (and I recognize this is reaching for positives/damage controlling) the review basically says that the control scheme is promising and while there are some problems, they sound more related to particular design choices, like not supporting gestures like stabbing with the sword or having unintuitive gestures like moving the remote forward to zoom in with a sniper rifle. Kasavin says that the controls "have the potential to be a good fit for a better game".

What really brings the game down is the terrible AI, story, multiplayer, presentation, and design...that's a long list of terrible things, but before this game came out some people were arguing that FPS's just flat out wouldn't work or wouldn't be any better with the Wiimote (remember the long threads about that?), whereas this review seems to indicate that a well-designed and more well thought out FPS could benefit from Red Steel's control scheme.

BigBoss

BlindN-Fan said:

Your username really suits you.

hyp said:
i guess the question we should be asking everyone is... did you really expect this game to score higher than a 7?

I didnt. Unlike Zelda a complete polished game which wasnt even properly reviewed :lol, I believe Red Steel was a 1st generation Wii experiment. The next game will rock :)

Nobody here (save for that one guy who originally wanted a PS3) has a Wii yet and you don't have this game either. Wait...........then go play the game and return to this thread and let us know whether you honestly agree with the score or not.

If it's really as bad as the reviewer make it look like, well, I think I will just wait for Red Steel 2 then... IF this game sells enough to warrant a sequel, obviously.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
clearacell said:

Nah man, this has nothing to do with the power of the Wii.

Xeke said:
Are you kidding??? RE4 looks much better then Red Steel as does Super Mario Galaxy.

Yeah, but if they employ the same logic to a Wii game that looks like RE4 (which is roughly about as good as the Wii can push), GS can still say "it looks like a PS2 game, not up to the current gen standards".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is entirely a product of too-high of expectations combined with a whole lot of effective and timely advertising that built this game up to be something that it's not. We might have known once those first reports were coming back about the controls.

I don't think the score is indicative of what was written, I think it is almost being punished for the hype surrounding it. Read this:

said:
Red Steel isn't completely devoid of merit, but it's a half-baked, buggy game that feels rushed and poorly executed. There's a good concept in here somewhere, as a swords-and-guns shooter pitting you against yakuza villains certainly seems like it could be very exciting. However, the experience itself hardly fulfills any of the promises behind it. So if you're looking for an exciting new way to simulate gunning or cutting lots of dudes down using the Wii Remote, you'd best keep looking.

A lot of these gripes do seem legit, even though the score perhaps does not indicate what they're saying. But I also think they might be a bit harder on this game than they would on another multi-platform title of similar quality just because of its hype, exclusivity, and expectations surrounding the title.

I can't wait for GS's Wii reviews to magically gain 3-4 points for no reason other than the fact it's been embraced by the masses.

And seriously, that fat **** is Demi right?

Not totally unexpected. Red Steel's been iffy for quite a while and Kasavin is probably the only GameSpot reviewer I trust.

Otherwise, UbiSoft has really dropped the ball in terms of quality, outside of Rayman and well, Rayman? But the Wii [third-party] launch lineup isn't that shot to hell though, I mean Call of Duty 3, Metal Slug, Trauma Center and Monkey Ball look particularly solid.

Krowley

i've trusted Kasavin ever since his ninja gaiden review, which was totally spot on and completley reflected my own thoughts on the game.

If he hates this game bad enough to score it in the 5's, you can pretty much bet that it's horrible. Even when i disagree with him, i can clearly see from the text of his reviews why he gave the score and make a decent judgement about whether the issues would bother me.

the issues he talks about in this review sound truly horrible and i'm pretty sure they would bother me greatly. I expected this game to score in the high 8's but unless ign or 1up give it a really high score and totally contradict this review, there is no reason to assume that this is a worthy game.

It sounds like it's a buggy, unpolished piece of crap.

He's a good reviewer... probably the best one at gamespot.

edit// and i also want to mention that gamespots scoring system of averaging all the catagory's together is the biggest problem with their site. It's not a fair way to judge a game, since many are much greater than the sum of their parts. It's possible that on the zelda review, gerstman averaged all the scores together, saw how low it was going to be and then wrote his review to justify the score.

If matt from ign had used the same system of averages, TP would have scored much lower than it did. But they don't do that, and that's why i have always preffered their review system.

What makes me a troll and makes Anihawk a smarmy jerk? I'm not trolling, but if my opinion is a tad harsh I can tone it down.

I more say what I say kind of tug at the cheek of N-bots. Nothing more.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mommy, I wanna get off the insanity train. Seriously, did anybody have truly high expectations for Red Steel?

Xeke

Banned
clearacell said:
Yeah, but if they employ the same logic to a Wii game that looks like RE4 (which is roughly about as good as the Wii can push), GS can still say "it looks like a PS2 game, not up to the current gen standards".

If the Wii truly is GC 2.0 its worst games should look as good as RE4.

Lobster

Banned
BigBoss said:
Your username really suits you.

RS doesn't use any tricks to make it look good. It doesn't have any flat textures that look bumped from a far. From what I see from RS pics RS obviously looks as good as HL2 except for the detail on models and as big a draw distance. But guess what RS can look as good without loading.

Amir0x

Banned
Shard said:
Mommy, I wanna get off the insanity train. Seriously, did anybody have truly high expectations for Red Steel?

how far we've come, though!

Remember when the first grainy photos of Red Steel came from Game Informer, and the Nintendo fanatics were like "HOLY SHIT LOOKS ON PAR WITH 360 GAMES I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY"

and then, oh precious reality, as the weeks and weeks progressed and they saw what it really looked like, and how it really played like... and well... times change so fast, don't they? You don't even have time to savour the madness anymore :lol

Ganondorfo

Tim the Wiz said:
Not totally unexpected. Red Steel's been iffy for quite a while and Kasavin is probably the only GameSpot reviewer I trust.

Otherwise, UbiSoft has really dropped the ball in terms of quality, outside of Rayman and well, Rayman? But the Wii [third-party] launch lineup isn't that shot to hell though, I mean Call of Duty 3, Metal Slug, Trauma Center and Monkey Ball look particularly solid.

The best games from ubisoft are coming to x360/PS3

Assassin's creed
Brothers in arms 3
Rainbow six: vegas
Splinter cell 5

Ashodin

Shard said:
I never did, but I had expectations that it would receive a high 6 and/or low 7 score. I think most other Websites will do this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
GhaleonEB said:
damn, I wish I could know what a game should score before playing it! What's your secret?

Taking in collective opinion/experience of every single other respected review i've heard about this game.

Or I could just listen to one guy and his jaded, incoherent review which contradicts much of what everyone else has been saying.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
how far we've come, though!

Remember when the first grainy photos of Red Steel came from Game Informer, and the Nintendo fanatics were like "HOLY SHIT LOOKS ON PAR WITH 360 GAMES I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY"

and then, oh precious reality, as the weeks and weeks progressed and they saw what it really looked like, and how it really played like... and well... times change so fast, don't they? You don't even have time to savour the madness anymore :lol

You were looking forward to this. You.

I can proudly say I never was.

AniHawk said:
Not really impressed. Looks like Perfect Dark Zero at best.

See?

And I'm going to be right about Elebits too. Just watch.

Krowley

Shard said:

i did. i thought it was gonna surprise everybody and score in the high 8's and low 9's. After POP and a few others, i have trusted ubisoft to put a certain level of spit and polish on their games. I figured this one would come through in the end.

Obviously i was wrong.

Top Bottom