• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how people on GAF reacted when GTA V won GOTY at VGX, i'm not surprised to see similar salty nonsense again over a game that isn't The Last Of Us winning.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
In the year when The Last of Us was released? As someone who has played through both to 100% completion, it is definitely a controversial choice to me.

One is a step forward for storytelling in our medium, while the other is the definition of a retread. I enjoyed both games but there's no doubt in my mind which is more deserving of accolades. But I digress - I regret even posting in this thread because I usually just ignore reviews and awards. It just disappoints me to see such an original and amazing game get snubbed over nostalgia.

Yes, it only won because of nostalgia.

faridmon

It's a good game but it's not my GOTY personally, it's definitely better than the likes of TLoU, I think that game was just average, but the GOTY is obviously
DotA 2

I like you Anonymous person in the internet.

Seriously, why the salt? Its a fantastic game and deserve to win.

Yes, it only won because of nostalgia.

Really? Really?

Try a bit harder, will ya!

I loved The Last of Us though, so I wouldn't be mad if it have won it. GTA V on the other and...

The game looks absolutely brilliant and fun like games used to be. Hopefully, devs get the memo to produce more "gamey" games (i.e., gameplay mechanics focused), if that makes any sense. We need to get away from the trend of everything becoming "cinematic" of "filmic" or whatever. There is a different medium for that kind of thing.

Marjar

Banned
Oh man that's awesome.

It really is an amazing game and by far one of the best Zelda games. I wish I could say that I can't believe people are getting pissy about this but then I remember stuff like the Twilight Princess 8.8 review.

The Hermit

Actually, i was being ironic...but hey.....now i've said it....

The hardest Nintendo fans are usually the most vocal, like Smokey and Amirox.

Anyway, I liked this Zelda a lot (especially the outstanding music) but I don't know if I would consider the best or even in te top 5 games this year.

Chorazin

While I loved it, as a strategy game it is flawed and too easily broken, making the combat nearly inconsequential on latter stages, even in lunatic. Which is pretty much because of one class.

Yuuuuup. After the first few missions the risk of defeat is almost nonexistant. Add in grinding on the non-story encounters and you're invicible, even before you start breeding little demi-gods of war.

faridmon

The game looks absolutely brilliant and fun like games used to be. Hopefully, devs get the memo to produce more "gamey" games (i.e., gameplay mechanics focused), if that makes any sense. We need to get away from the trend of everything becoming "cinematic" of "filmic" or whatever. There is a different medium for that kind of thing.

I just hope we get more development towards the handheld gaming. Hopefully GOTYs such as this will give the Devs a hint that, you can get recognised if your game is awesome and is on a Handheld device.

SmokyDave

I'm guessing you didn't look at the Youtube link in the OP.
The day I read Youtube comments is the day I've read absolutely everything else in the universe.

In the year when The Last of Us was released? As someone who has played through both to 100% completion, it is definitely a controversial choice to me.

One is a step forward for storytelling in our medium, while the other is the definition of a retread. I enjoyed both games but there's no doubt in my mind which is more deserving of accolades. But I digress - I regret even posting in this thread because I usually just ignore reviews and awards. It just disappoints me to see such an original and amazing game get snubbed over nostalgia.
Eh, I don't see it like that. I've played GTA and TloU and GTA is my GotY, even though it's a total retread. I didn't even put TloU in my top 10 (although some of that is because I can't be arsed to finish it and it might well get great later on). DEVICE 6, a game that is far more original than either of those (or any game on the Gamespot list) made my top 10, but not above GTA. Ultimately, it's all about what you enjoyed most, not what you feel you have a social responsibility to promote.

HAHAHAHAHA! Smoky Dave? A Nintendo fanboy?
My disguise isn't working!

Yeah cos Zelda always beats GTA yeah sure Gamespot, fuckin retards.
i continued the video to the end hopping that he was joking about zelda winning the game of the year
Like what grown man play ds. When I think of ds I think kids.
Fucking gamespot hipsters
Wow way to pick a game that no one plays
Typical epic Gamespot fail. They get paid off for interviews, more than likely get paid off for awarding their Game of the Year too..
I've played all the games in this video, none were that great and in fact I can't even think of a single game that came out this year worthy of a game of the year. But I broke out in hard laughter when you gave the award to that pile of shit.
Is this the video for Game of the year 1986?
Obvious controversy bait. There is absolutely no reason for this to win over TLOU or GTA.
Hilarious at how people use this as an excuse to hate Sony fanboys, yet the majority are angry that GTA V did not get it. A game which is far more deserving. I feel these GOTY awards choose the games that are not as mainstream/popular just to be different. Regardless of how good this is, how can anyone pick it over TLoU, GTA V, AC4 and others. This is just plain insulting.
Bull shit, nintendo games don't deserve a shit
This is just bad. The only real competitor for the goty was gta V
U are joking pick a good game like ac4, cod ghost, dead rising 3, kill zone shadowfall, they r good game unlike this shitty Zelda 
sorry but this is bullshit. bioshock tlou or gta v should have won. this is the worst choice ever
look i understand its there opinion but jesus fucking christ what a disgrace fucking shitty zelda crap im so pissed about that.
I uncontrollably facepalmed when I saw the result.
I dont get it why did this game won it supposed to be the last of us or gta 5.
i can't take gamespot seriously after this.............FOR GOD SAKE THIS IS 20 YEARS OLD GAME
wait wait ... zelda ? game of the year??? LMAO i expected gta v or tomb riader or tlou ... but zelda? an old ass same game
This is a joke right? A fucking 2 year old could make a better game than this, this game would've deserved game of the year in 1985, but not in 2013
Seriously Gamespot, of all the innovation gaming has brought ( Zelda's Mechanics are dated, you could play a dozen games that play similarly to Zelda), you chose a REHASH. and a handheld game. A lot of gamers here disagree with you with this horrible choice .
Gamespot tries to be the hipster "We're not going to do what we know you want us to do and you can't make us." version of IGN. They usually go out of their way to support Nintendo and Microsoft (mostly Nintendo) because they know most people are going with Sony. They follow the if you can't be better be different strategy and it gets them attention. Was Zelda a good game? yeah and Zelda is one of my favorite series but it sure as hell wasn't better than GTA V.
I never even heard of this game. What grown man is playing this b.s on a 3Ds. Fucking man Childs, and nerds. I think people are just trying to give Nintendo anything at this point, due to their dismal performance projections. I understand its your favorite childhood games and system. But how long are you going to keep playing the same shit. Move out of your moms basement and let the free market do its thing and faze out Nintendo for good. Unsub to u fucking nerds.
So, Gamespot, how much did Nintendo pay you to save their failing reputation?
okay lets see...this year we got DMC,tomb raider,BF4, splinter cell blacklist,The last of us,Bioshock infinite, Asaassins creed 4 black flag,RAYMAN LEGENDS, GRAND THEF AUTO V,and a tone of god damned awesome games but YOU STUPID MOTHERF!@#$ERS GIVE THE F@!#!ING GOTY AWARD TO F!@#ING ZELDA,no offense it is a good game but it cannot be compared to the other nominees...
Zelda: Link To The Past was a great game. One the best games ever.... BUT the game is fucking 20+ years old. A few cosmetic updates to a handheld game DOES NOT deserve to even be a nominee, let alone GOTY. Gamespot is just fucking with us now. 

i am strengthened and invigorated

Moff

Fair enough.

Snubbed is a general term used when something/someone is undoubtedly deserving of an award, but leaves empty handed. Like if Bryan Cranston was up for an award against that dude from Big Bang Theory, and lost.

and ALBW is the guy from big bang theory?
nah, dont agree at all with you.
I finished TLOU too, and while it is certainly a worthy GOTY contender, I honestly believe ALBW was simply better, even witthout the nostalgia, although great music is certainly not a downside of a game.
I even might agree that TLOU brought the medium forward in storytelling, but it might be arguable if storytelling is THAT important that its enough for a GOTY award. heck, I might even argue if storytelling is important in a videogame at all.

smr00

Banned
Fantastic list.

Continues to blow my mind how angry people get over others opinions.Salty people everywhere.

Busaiku

I'm not as big a fan of this game as others (probably my 4th or 5th favorite 3DS game this year), but it's great to see a 3DS game win.

jgmo870

Banned
$40 is over priced for a GOTY caliber game? Alright then....

FE: A, Rayman Legends and Tearaway are all highly praised by the press and gaffers. I don't think any of them are as good as they're made out to be or worth their full price. ALBW can wait, I'm not in a rush.

Shocked! Not sure I'd put it as game of the year (nothing has surpassed TLOU for me) but I'm not upset. ALBW is a brilliantly designed game. Like, brilliantly designed. Like, there are times I stop and just marvel at the brilliance of the design.

A bold choice by IGN, I'm proud of them.

Codeblue

Respect to GS for picking a handheld title. Not my personal pick, but most of my top games will be coming from portables. Now if Tearaway and Fire Emblem could find a site to highlight them...

I'm sorry but what was the point then?

The point wasn't to say his taste sucks. It's fine to play what you like even if you only game on a single platform due to taste, time, money or whatever. The problem starts when you start trying to discredit what other people like because it doesn't exist in your bubble, especially if you haven't played it.

Timeaisis

Bold move, Gamespot. Earning a little respect back from me now. I'd of for sure thought they'd go with a safe pick like GTAV or TLOU. Cool that a handheld game that really deserves praise is getting it.

But damn the salt on those comments (and some in this thread). The only two games I haven't played from their list are GTA and Tearaway, but at the present moment I'd pick 3D World as my top game with ALBW as a close second. And my god, I'll say it, I liked Bioshock Infinite over TLOU. Opinions, man.

shamanick

People can disagree with a choice without it being "dat salt". It's a discussion forum. Having said that, hoo boy at that EmCeeGramr post

phanphare

Banned
Shocked! Not sure I'd put it as game of the year (nothing has surpassed TLOU for me) but I'm not upset. ALBW is a brilliantly designed game. Like, brilliantly designed. Like, there are times I stop and just marvel at the brilliance of the design.

"IGN" and "bold choice" should rarely be used that close together

BBboy20

lwsm_salt-mountain-newark-calfiornia_1445.jpg

Kingdom come, baby.

What the hell.

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

I usually don't care about GOTY, but when you put it that way it makes me think that it's actually a good thing and not a problem at all.

-MB-

Not sure if serious...

I wonder if Tom McShea is chewing his tongue out for a LoZ game winning GOTY, especially one that is based on the series' formulaic conventions (but now in eye-lacerating 3D!).

He's actually made a blog post talking about how Link Between Worlds is his third favorite Zelda of all-time now, BECAUSE of his deviations from the formulaic conventions so...

Sacrimoni

Banned
Video game websites tend to be very myopic and similar with their goty choices, which is a testament to how bland and pointless most of them are

Fire emblem, mario 3d land, dota 2, poe, papers please and zelda are all perfectly valid choices

But they, and games like them will never win at certain outlets

Majestad

Banned
FE: A, Rayman Legends and Tearaway are all highly praised by the press and gaffers. I don't think any of them are as good as they're made out to be or worth their full price. ALBW can wait, I'm not in a rush.

What are some games you think they are worth their full price then?

DEVICE 6, a game that is far more original than either of those (or any game on the Gamespot list) made my top 10, but not above GTA.
That's just a mobile game, it's not a real game. What other kinds of f2p casual shit do you like? Not even a real gamer.
;p

Jesus Christ on a unicycle, this shit makes me embarrassed to call myself a gamer. It's easy to forget how bad the level of discourse is on other sites compared to here.

heyf00L

I was just playing it this morning (about to go after the 7th sage) and was thinking that overall it was a better game than OoT in many ways. One thing I really appreciate about ALBW over OoT is how many more, or at least spaced out, NPCs there are and how it makes the world feel more alive, inhabited, and believable -- more like Majora's Mask.

Joqu

Oh god this thread.

I'm personally not too much of a fan of A Link to the Past and even I loved this game, GameSpot did good. Y'all who haven't played this yet better pick it up.

and ALBW is the guy from big bang theory?
nah, dont agree at all with you.
I finished TLOU too, and while it is certainly a worthy GOTY contender, I honestly believe ALBW was simply better, even witthout the nostalgia, although great music is certainly not a downside of a game.
I even might agree that TLOU brought the medium forward in storytelling, but it might be arguable if storytelling is THAT important that its enough for a GOTY award. heck, I might even argue if storytelling is important in a videogame at all.
That's not what I was getting at, no. Was just trying to explain to the other guy what a snub is, since he didn't seem to understand.

As for your last point, I'd argue that it is very important. As we're getting closer and closer to uncanny valley, these kinds of things (storytelling, acting, direction, etc) will/should become more important in immersing the player. Gameplay will always be as important (if not more) but TLoU was one of those rare examples when both came together flawlessly.

jgmo870

Banned
What are some games you think they are worth their full price then?

Pretty much none but I'm willing to pay full price for games that try something different and/or are from developers I like e.g. Knights in the Nightmare (Sting), Gravity Rush (Japan Studios), Catherine (Atlus), and Dark Souls (From).

Scrabble

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

You hit exactly the reason why I've been disinterested in these types of games for the last few years. Same reason why I could give two shits abut Mario 3d world and have no desire to play it. To me, these types of games just feel like toys. That's perfectly fine if that's all you're looking for, but for me personally, I want a game to strive to do a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom