• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

I'll take a stab in the dark and say that ALBW doesn't have this great level design or great gameplay that it's being praised for, just like the majority of modern Nintendo games that get lauded for both.

This is possibly the worst videogame related post I've read all year.

Majestad

Banned
You hit exactly the reason why I've been disinterested in these types of games for the last few years. Same reason why I could give two shits abut Mario 3d world and have no desire to play it. To me, these types of games just feel like toys. That's perfectly fine if that's all you're looking for, but for me personally, I want a game to strive to do a little bit more.

Watch a movie duder. Video games first and foremost are supposed to provide fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy shit. They actually got it right.

I'm honestly shocked.

Is this the first time a major outlet has given GOTY to a portable game?

slit

I can't believe they picked a Nintendo game, much less a handheld one. I can't say if it's the correct choice as I haven't played it yet but I can't wait to.

Randomizer

Great choice; it's good to see some diversity and the game is masterfully designed and certainly worthy of consideration and the win.

Props to gamespot. Lesser sites like giantbomb haven't even reviewed the game, never mind considered it for goty

Really? That website is terrible I have no idea way they have such a big fan base.

heyf00L

You hit exactly the reason why I've been disinterested in these types of games for the last few years. Same reason why I could give two shits abut Mario 3d world and have no desire to play it. To me, these types of games just feel like toys. That's perfectly fine if that's all you're looking for, but for me personally, I want a game to strive to do a little bit more.

A little bit more what? Not fun, obviously.

Seda

Some of the structure changes in A Link Between Worlds were definitely interesting, and it did provide a breath of fresh air. However, I agree with Maragidyne in that the dungeon design and progression seemed to suffer a bit, due to being able to access them in any order and requiring only one item to surpass. I would say I enjoyed the game, and I appreciated the attempt to shake things up, but I wouldn't want that structure change to be implemented in the next Zelda without a couple of tweaks.

That said, I have no problem if GameSpot came to the decision that this was the most remarkable game of the the year in their eyes, whatever their criteria may be.

KmA

I've been meaning to pick it up for a while but I just find the art style atrocious. I'm glad they didn't go for another wind waker styled game again but this current style is just... bleh.

A little bit more what? Not fun, obviously.

It's the whole "games as art" thing again. Like the media needs to "grow up" and you got to "push the envelope" and shit so that games get that validation from people who never gave a fuck and probably still won't even after gaming's done jumping through all of their hoops.

Santiako

It is right now at #3 or #4 of my goty list, such an amazing game and higher on my list than TLoU, which is the only other game on their list that I've played.

Enosh

The comments on this are horrifically hilarious.

Someone said a two year old could make a better game than Zelda. Others asked how much Nintendo paid them to save their reputation.

Good lord, the Internet never fails to deliver.
I don't understand why the same mistrust people place in GS due to the Kane and Lynch thing when they review any big game and give it a high score, isn't reasonable in this case too

traveler

Not Wario
Yes, GTAV's application of over-the-top characterization to everything to the point where it's not even perceivable as buyable parody is truly new and meaningful social commentary.

Some of the structure changes in A Link Between Worlds were definitely interesting, and it did provide a breath of fresh air. However, I agree with Maragidyne in that the dungeon design and progression seemed to suffer a bit, due to being able to access them in any order and requiring only one item to surpass. I would say I enjoyed the game, and I appreciated the attempt to shake things up, but I wouldn't want that structure change to be implemented in the next Zelda without a couple of tweaks.

That said, I have no problem if GameSpot came to the decision that this was the most remarkable game of the the year in their eyes, whatever their criteria may be.

I think the rental system was basically pointless, given the ease and considerable amount of rupees available, but I do think that having all the items from the outset provided one substantial benefit that's been kind of overlooked: dungeons can be designed to use the item from the get-go rather than having you complete "generic" puzzles up until the dungeon item. Is this worth each dungeon only using one item? I dunno, but there's no reason Nintendo couldn't just require multiple items for any given dungeon with the appropriate "challenges" provided at the entry of the dungeon to signal that going forward. I think the rental system could use an overhaul, but the basic philosophy definitely has some advantages.

heyf00L

This is possibly the worst videogame related post I've read all year.

Indeed. We mostly post crap opinions that will be ignored, but wow, it takes a lot of arrogance to sit down and decide that that opinion needed to be typed out and sent all over the world.

Shauni

I'm going to play it once I find it cheap enough. Because history taught me these overpraised games have never been worth their full price.

History must not have taught you much, because Nintendo games rarely go down in value. You might get lucky with some kind of sale, but it's doubtful. Most likely, it'll go out of print with the digital copy as the only option, before it sees a significant price drop.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I've got news for you: ALL video games are toys.

Meh, Tearaway was robbed. More charming, more inventive, more original, also on a handheld.

As someone who has played them both extensively, I completely agree with you on all your points except for the fact that it was "robbed." It WAS more charming/original/inventive. It just wasn't a better game.

Pretty much none but I'm willing to pay full price for games that try something different and/or are from developers I like e.g. Knights in the Nightmare (Sting), Gravity Rush (Japan Studios), Catherine (Atlus), and Dark Souls (From).

Ugh. First of all, it's free on PS+ and second, it's incredibly overrated. Those controls and battles are atrocious.

faridmon

Really? That website is terrible I have no idea way they have such a big fan base.

Giantbomb is the best thing that happened to the internet since it was invented.

Having said that; you don't come to GB if you are looking for a balanced views of opinions and gaming selections.

Timeaisis

Are people really discussing that games need to have some more thematic or social significance than just being fun in order to be the worthwhile? I don't mind that sometimes, but I play games primarily to have fun and/or get absorbed in some fantasy.

It's the same with movies -- I never want to see Requiem for a Dream again, but I can respect it as a good movie for it's narrative and thematic significance. However, I'll watch Star Wars or Indiana Jones over and over because they to be just good fun. Do I think one is better than the other because one is more profound thematically? No. Do I think one is better because I enjoy it more as a movie? Yeah. That's how I feel about games. Themes and and emotional depth only add to my love of a game, they don't define it. ALBW isn't my top pick this year (3D World is mine), but I sure understand why Gamespot picked it. It's a fun game, and it is very well designed.

jgmo870

Banned
History must not have taught you much, because Nintendo games rarely go down in value. You might get lucky with some kind of sale, but it's doubtful. Most likely, it'll go out of print with the digital copy as the only option, before it sees a significant price drop.

I've gotten "lucky" with FE: A, 3D Land, MK7, OoT3D, and Star Fox 64 where I've payed $20 give or take $5 for each. I've seen low prices for Paper Mairo and apparently there have been ALBW download codes sold here for $25. Like I said, I can wait.

My+James+Franco+gif+was+already+posted+So+have+_982ec9352a4ad929d862095429872353.gif

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's a damn good choice. I had more fun and enjoyed the entirety of the experience in ALBW whereas GTAV and TLOU both dragged heavily in several areas. TLOU will not be in my GOTY consideration because it was more work than it was play. Your mileage may have varied, but if I wanted to be stressed after work, I'd do more work.

At least GTAV was fun most of the time.

george_us

I still have five dungeons to go in A Link Between Worlds (horray for crunch) but from what I've played, it's absolutely a GOTY candidate. I probably would of went with either GTAV or Super Mario 3D World but A Link Between Worlds most certainly has an argument. 2013 has been the best year in gaming since the PS2 generation ended even excluding the hardware launches.

heyf00L

Is this worth each dungeon only using one item?

How did each dungeon only use one item? You always at least needed the hookshot, bombs, and hammer (sometimes helicopter thing) to solve puzzles + whatever item the dungeon focused on and of course the wall merge. All that plus the huge emphasis on 3 dimensions made for the most refreshing Zelda in decades.

They feel like toys because you've never been on gaming, but on "interactive experiencing".
You're one among milions that gained interest on videogames when they stopped to be proper videogames. In other words, one of the reasons this industry is heading towards simplified technology driven experiences and in my opinion, towards its own destruction.

Some of them are, sure. And again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not what I look for in games any more.

I'm curious, but what Oscar-worthy performance have you witnessed among other award winning games this year? Because it sure as hell wasn't in GTA V or, as much as I enjoyed it, TLOU.

I haven't finished the game yet, but it is indeed fantastic. I'm very surprised they chose a handheld game, was definitely expecting GTA V.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are people really discussing that games need to have some more thematic or social significance than just being fun in order to be the worthwhile? I don't mind that sometimes, but I play games primarily to have fun and/or get absorbed in some fantasy.

It's the same with movies -- I never want to see Requiem for a Dream again, but I can respect it as a good movie for it's narrative and thematic significance. However, I'll watch Star Wars or Indiana Jones over and over because they to be just good fun. Do I think one is better than the other because one is more profound thematically? No. Do I think one is better because I enjoy it more as a movie? Yeah. That's how I feel about games. Themes and and emotional depth only add to my love of a game, they don't define it. ALBW isn't my top pick this year (3D World is mine), but I sure understand why Gamespot picked it. It's a fun game, and it is very well designed.

A lot of people appear to be very psychologically and emotionally invested in gaming as a cause or movement. It's similar to film buffs who cannot stand the popularity of films which they consider "lowbrow" - which might include stuff like Star Wars.

It's understandable I think. If you are very invested in something you will feel elevated yourself by that thing being edified and elevated. But at the end of the day, it's all just reindeer games and people looking for approval.

The Last of Us and Zelda are both video games. Neither is more legitimate than the other, it's just that TLOU or even GTAV possess the attributes required to serve some currently trendy views of what gaming represents.

Watch a movie duder. Video games first and foremost are supposed to provide fun.
That's an incredibly narrow view and definition of what games are supposed to be, and one I couldn't possibly disagree with more.

I've got news for you: ALL video games are toys.
Someone should let the Supreme Court know this so they don't have to be considered an art form that is considered a protected expression of free speech, since they're just toys.

traveler

Not Wario
How did each dungeon only use one item? You always at least needed the hookshot, bombs, and hammer (sometimes helicopter thing) to solve puzzles + whatever item the dungeon focused on and of course the wall merge. All that plus the huge emphasis on 3 dimensions made for the most refreshing Zelda in decades.

While I couldn't remember and actually thought the same, I was going off the post I quoted and basically just trying to make the point that, even if each dungeon in this particular iteration did use only one item per dungeon, that's no reason future installments couldn't branch out and use more.

Jeff-DSA

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

The funny part about this is that you're serious.

jgmo870

Banned
Ugh. First of all, it's free on PS+ and second, it's incredibly overrated. Those controls and battles are atrocious.

It controls fine, just mess with the gyro sensitivity. The battles are the weakest part of the game but they work well enough. You can bait Nevi to attack you, dodge, and then attack and that takes care of the Nevi... if you don't understand how the mechanics work.

If you do then you can move easily, transitioning between sliding and kicking without ever stopping to re-adjust yourself (you can do slight adjusts while shifting/kicking with the left stick). It just takes some experimenting because the game explains jack to you but it's a goddamn blast.

Goldmund

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You will see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?
There's a lot more (unintentional) social commentary to be gleaned from the fact that almost any other outlet named either GTA V or The Last of Us as their game of the year than there is in these games themselves you consider so much more representative of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom