• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespy: Should Diablo 3 have been first person?

Haunted

Should Citizen Kane have had more explosions?

"I'll admit it. My first ever hands-on time with Citizen Kane occurred just 24 hours ago. It took just two hours before I'd watched my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion, but in that short period of time my eyes were opened to an entirely new perspective on the movie world. As a lover of Michael Bay movies, the lack of explosions in Citizen Kane felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why orson Welles didn't make the leap to bad writing and overbearing special effects like so many other moviemakers. This led me to wonder - should Citizen Kane have been a movie with a shit ton of explosions and CGI, and what are the pros and cons of this approach? Let's find out."

Man, I'd expect at least some level of gaming literacy from a Gamespy PC writer. No knowledge of Diablo I/II or isometric camera view in games... wow.

edit: or maybe he's very young and Modern Warfare was his first game.

iamblades

MrKnives said:
Haha yea. I wonder if his "Diablo-veteran co-op companion" ever played beyond Normal.

Even on normal, past act I there are lots of things that can hand you your ass quite easily.

Duriel can quite easily wipe out a whole group of people if they aren't prepared, and soloing him as one of the squishier characters, or any character without decent gear really, can be an exercise in frustration.

Nightmare and above are where you gear and abilities really need to be in order because you can't just chug pots and auto attack your way through stuff anymore though.

Foxix Von

I've never even played diablo but that sentence is seriously making me reconsider the concept that there are no stupid questions.

Khezu

I leveled a hunter in wow up to 40 exclusively in first person, always wished blizzard would have added in crappy arms so I could pretended it was a first person shooter.

I was pretty bored.

Calcaneus

How many people actually read the article? He says some dumb stuff but overall he says the game is fine the way it is, but would like to see what blizzard would do with a first person game. Not so unreasonable I guess.

artwalknoon said:
Lol, funny article. Well he does say he's never played a Diablo game before and is entirely unfamiliar with the genre.
He can not be a gaming journalist if he hasn't played Diablo 2. He should be fired.

Ledsen

YES. If it had been, I would've played it. The only loot game I ever liked was Borderlands, Torchlight had me yawning within an hour.

iamblades

BlazingDarkness said:
More importantly, it took him just 3 hours to complete? wtffisthisshit.gif

The beta is basically just the first 2-3 story quests.

People have done it in like 20 minutes.

Which makes it even more bizarre that he is judging it's depth or difficulty from just that tiny slice.

54-46!

I'll admit it. My first ever hands-on time with any Street Fighter game occurred just 24 hours ago, when my inexperienced Ken took his first fumbling steps into the Street Fighter IV's world of cartoon fighters. It took just one hour before I'd kicked and punched my way to the main arcade mode, but in that short period of time my eyes were opened to an entirely new perspective on a gaming world. As a lover of first person games, the 2d perspective system in Street Fighter IV felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Capcom didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Street Fighter IV have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach? Let's find out.

To his point though, a good first person Diablo style game would be pretty cool.

Xater

I think these two pictures are relevante:

2A2dQ.jpg

KBSuy.jpg

How does a writer for the PC section of a gaming news website over the age of 18 manage to avoid games with an isometric camera system his whole life? That's quite unusual.

Tobor

Let's not kid ourselves, a Diablo style action RPG works fine in first person. Borderlands was great.

I'm not saying Diablo itself should switch, but I'm glad there are other developers who aren't as narrow minded as you guys seem to be.

Top down, first person, third person over the shoulder, it's all good for this genre.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
Let's not kid ourselves, a Diablo style action RPG works fine in first person. Borderlands was great.

I'm not saying Diablo itself should switch, but I'm glad there are other developers who aren't as narrow minded as you guys seem to be.

Top down, first person, third person over the shoulder, it's all good for this genre.
Suddenly Diablo would lose its identity. That's why people are laughing at this article.

V_Arnold

Tobor said:

Uhm, no. It is not good for the genre. It is spawning a subgenre, alright, but as soon as people start demanding or anticipating a subgenre out of a friggin new NUMBERED DIABLO (one that we were waiting for 10+years), then it is plain ignorance.

The FPS "lootwhore" subgenre has a lot more simple gameplay. Deny it or not, its gameplay resolves around the basic FPS principles with covers and corridor/terrain abusing, with "shooting" and "traps" being the main skill. With some more added explosives. Borderlands was like a prototype for all this, but it has nowhere near the variety that even vanilla Diablo 2 had. And that game is from a previous decade.

The main features of this view is
-Being able to always tell what is around you, even behind your back
-Being able to plan your retreating and your attacking movement route
-Being able use skills that have a range that is usually more than the area ahead of you

You cant just wish "be an FPS" upon this system. It makes no sense. Zero.
You can, however, and feel free to, wish Diablo's OTHER systems upon an FPS. That is reasonable. And awesome. See: Borderlands.

Tobor

V_Arnold said:
Uhm, no. It is not good for the genre. It is spawning a subgenre, alright, but as soon as people start demanding or anticipating a subgenre out of a friggin new NUMBERED DIABLO (one that we were waiting for 10+years), then it is plain ignorance.

The FPS "lootwhore" subgenre has a lot more simple gameplay. Deny it or not, its gameplay resolves around the basic FPS principles with covers and corridor/terrain abusing, with "shooting" and "traps" being the main skill. With some more added explosives. Borderlands was like a prototype for all this, but it has nowhere near the variety that even vanilla Diablo 2 had. And that game is from a previous decade.

The main features of this view is
-Being able to always tell what is around you, even behind your back
-Being able to plan your retreating and your attacking movement route
-Being able use skills that have a range that is usually more than the area ahead of you

You cant just wish "be an FPS" upon this system. It makes no sense. Zero.
You can, however, and feel free to, wish Diablo's OTHER systems upon an FPS. That is reasonable. And awesome. See: Borderlands.
Jesus, listen to yourself. No one is wishing or demanding anything. The author is asking a question, and laying out pros and cons.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Tobor said:

We have enough damn first person shooters without everyone changing other franchises into FPS games.

Haunted said:
Man, I'd expect at least some level of gaming literacy from a Gamespy PC writer. No knowledge of Diablo I/II or isometric camera view in games... wow.

edit: or maybe he's very young and Modern Warfare was his first game.
EDITOR IN CHIEF

R1CHO

AWSUM ARTICLE! I ALSO CAN PULAY DIS GAME!

SHUD DIABLO 3 HAS BEEN KINECT EXCLUSIV?

KINECT PRO1: IMMERSHUN
KINECT PRO2: CHALLENGE

KINECT CON1: IT WOULDNT BE DIABLO
KINECT...

V_Arnold

Tobor said:
Jesus, listen to yourself. No one is wishing or demanding anything. The author is asking a question, and laying out pros and cons.

Whao. So you come into the thread, say that it is good that not everyone is as narrow minded as us, forget to mention any "con" or any explanation why fps works "just fine" with the genre, and then... listen to yourself? Well, I am listening to it, or reading it: I laid out the potential cons one faces when asks a certain gameplay to migrate into another camera view.

"Should more Diablo-style games come out with an FPS twist" is a question worth asking.
"Should Diablo 3 become an FPS for better immersion and difficulty" is, however, not.

Twinduct

OK someone needs to make this: Borderlands/ Dead island's Loot system with the fighting mechanics of Dark Messiah set in the atmosphere of Diablo.

You know when kids (maybe your little nephew) gets to be around the age of 11-15?
How suddenly they want to be grown ups, and want to have their own opinions, but are still so naive to think that every idea they come up with somehow is unique and hasn't been considered and dismissed by others before?
How they are special and clever for thinking of things?
Any things?

This is exactly that.

'guis guis here me aut! BEER and popcorn flavored icecream, eaten from the boob *giggle* of a nekkid lady.
I just invented it, it is the best thing ever and i fink everyune should try it'

Here's what a friend said about this :
Some people think that it makes them smart to have an argument,
no matter how fucking dumb it is

Top Bottom