• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespy: Should Diablo 3 have been first person?

vocab

Deckard Cain is a space marine on the run from evil dooer known as pindleskin, he met up with a band of merchants at Tristam. Little does he know, theres some brewing in the ground beneath him. Wirt, and Griswold are working with Diablo to create a time traveling device to go back to the future!

Zeliard

To be fair, by the end he agrees that Diablo is superior the way it is and that the iso viewpoint is important to it, but that it would be nice (in his eyes) to see Blizzard make a first-person game at some point.

However, I couldn't help but laugh at statements like this:

"there's very little depth available when you're presented with such a narrow view of the game world. There's no way to cling to cover when under heavy fire with such simple controls"

TUSR

Banned
They give attention whores like this media keys to their beta games.

All they're doing is trolling for website hits.

KKRT00

Lol, he needed 3 hours to get to Skeleton King... now i get why we have streamlining, tutorials and casual game modes, to get games better scores. Pathetic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People still go to Gamespy, write for Gamespy? I thought they died and only dinosaur developers that make buggy day-one games (sup, Gearbox!) use their dead and dying game-finding browser. :|

WrikaWrek

Banned
There's a level of stupidity that you always wonder whether it's reserved for movie characters and t.v shows.

Once in awhile you read shit like this and you think, you know what? Fiction doesn't go as far as reality.

Althoran

Why make every game into a FPS.

If a loot game should be an FPS, create a new series for it.
Diablo has no need for these kinds of changes.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I love that his tweets now are basically "LOL Diablo fans are uptight nerdz!"

This clod is editor-in-chief of a site dedicated to PC gaming?
I weep for what used to be.

zkylon

zkylewd
I love how they quote it in big for no one to miss it ""A huge part of the experience is the unique camera view, and I soon learnt to live with its various quirks."

Druz

^^ OOoh JeffGreen's post is my posts' hat. I will wear you everywhere, JeffGreenhat,

A new guy is in charge of Gamespy recently and I really think he might be retarded. This article is only a turd nugget in his shitty mind.

Edit: Holy shit the guy in charge of Gamespy is the guy who wrote this article! Bennett Ring. HAHAHAHA wow.

elfinke

Frankie Williamson said:
So, they fired Will Tuttle (oh sorry, laid off) and replaced him with a troll from Australia.

Awesome.
It's a shame that this is the introduction to Bennett that many of you guys are getting - he's a very good journo typically, and has been around for ages (writing for heaps of magazines here in Aus for many years), which is what I said on the first page also.

My issue is still that this thought experiment is completely arbitrary and somewhat pointless - Borderlands already exists and Hellgate before it; both show that Diablo with FPS works perfectly fine.

Druz

elfinke said:
It's a shame that this is the introduction to Bennett that many of you guys are getting - he's a very good journo typically, and has been around for ages (writing for heaps of magazines here in Aus for many years), which is what I said on the first page also.

My issue is still that this thought experiment is completely arbitrary and somewhat pointless - Borderlands already exists and Hellgate before it; both show that Diablo with FPS works perfectly fine.

I'm not attacking you for being naive since you seem like a nice fella but he's actually quite bad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zeliard said:
To be fair, by the end he agrees that Diablo is superior the way it is and that the iso viewpoint is important to it, but that it would be nice (in his eyes) to see Blizzard make a first-person game at some point.

However, I couldn't help but laugh at statements like this:

"there's very little depth available when you're presented with such a narrow view of the game world. There's no way to cling to cover when under heavy fire with such simple controls"
I laughed

Holy shit, no Bennett is not a good journo and never has been. Jesus. I used to work for the biggest PC mag in the country, we thought he was a joke then and we think he's a joke now.

jambo

Just saw this from his Twitter

Bennett Ring
@jane_tobes Ha, pretty good eh? Who'd have thought Diablo fans would have more rage than the COD kiddies?

Bennett Ring
@jane_tobes It's easy - find a game that has the nerdiest following, and have an open discussion about radically reinventing it.

http://twitter.com/#!/bennettring

=\

elfinke

jim-jam bongs said:
Holy shit, no Bennett is not a good journo and never has been. Jesus. I used to work for the biggest PC mag in the country, we thought he was a joke then and we think he's a joke now.

Druz said:
I'm not attacking you for being naive since you seem like a nice fella but he's actually quite bad.

Is that so? Wow, there you go. I don't know him, and don't recall a single thing he ever wrote (unlike his peers, ala Mansill, Mills, Wildgoose et al, all of which I have fond memories from Hyper and PCPP days) but Ring never struck me as a clown, not that I recall anyway. I might have to dig through my old pile of mags and read some his reviews, see what strikes me!

Though as Jambo points out above, his recent tweeting strikes me as dreadful, juvenile and purile, GameFAQish drivel. Very unbecoming of an editor-in-chief.

Rodhull

With Ryan Scott announcing today that he's leaving Gamespy i'm guessing they're not really bothering with having any internal people at IGN working on it anymore.

elfinke

jim-jam bongs said:
Mansell and Mills are names you can trust for sure. Wildgoose works PR for Atari now, our dealings weren't very pleasant.

So that's where he left for after KotakuAU? Seems... odd?

Mlatador

Banned
HAHAHA! whoever wrote this is the master of all trolls!

I+try+to+make+the+lol+face+reaction+image_fd758b_1442270.jpg

elfinke said:
So that's where he left for after KotakuAU? Seems... odd?

Holy shit, that shows how out of the loop I am. I didn't realise he went back to publishing, he's group head for Hyper and Powerplay now.

For the record, our dealings were probably slightly unpleasant because I always had very little patience for PR people, he's a nice enough dude and a pro.

GunSlingerAUS

Neo Member
Hey folks

'Tis I, the trolling Bennett Ring here, to fill you in on my motivations for writing the article in question. Here goes - hopefully you'll have the courtesy to read this post the entire way through, unlike the article itself.

Firstly, I apologise for not having played every triple A game that has ever existed. I'm actually a 35 year old gamer who prefers shooters (total Battlefield whore), action games (Gears, Castlevania, etc) and hardcore simulators (iRacing, DCS). I've always been a PC gamer first and foremost, kicking off with MS Flight Sim when I was 10 years old. My experience in the RPG genre is limited, though I'm a big fan of RPG-lite since playing Fallout 3. But no, I had never played Diablo. Shoot me - I was totally up front about this in the article. Guess what - I'd never played Starcraft until SC2 came out. The shame!

Secondly, I had absolutely no idea this story would provoke such a response. I'm serious. I thought it was an interesting fluff piece to discuss for newcomers to the game, given that most major isometric games are making the jump to first person (Fallout did it well, XCOM is looking good based on my last E3 hands-on, nfi what Syndicate is going to be like). I wanted to write about my time with the Diablo III mod, but couldn't do a detailed "This is what's improved piece" given my inexperience with the series. I figured this would make an interesting angle that looked at why Blizzard didn't do choose first person.

Finally, and here's the fucking kicker - the article agrees that Diablo III should never have been a first person game. Sadly most readers only got half way through the piece before letting their Diablo rage boil over, and then felt it was their right to ask for my head on a plate. I urge you to actually read the entire piece, specifically the last half, which talks about why Diablo III had to be an isometric game. And yes, I do believe the isometric viewpoint is fresh, given that very few games have used it in recent years compared to third and first person. This is why I'm rather amused by the reaction - the ragers didn't even read the full story to realise that I'm agreeing with them. It's astonishing.

Again, I just want to reiterate that I never intended this to blow up - I was expecting a couple of thousand clicks, nothing major, where readers could share their thoughts about whether Diablo III could have worked as a first person game. Guess I was wrong.

elfinke

jim-jam bongs said:
Holy shit, that shows how out of the loop I am. I didn't realise he went back to publishing, he's group head for Hyper and Powerplay now.

I just noticed on his twitter feed he has group head (made me instantly want to pour a short black coffee too!) as his title. I always enjoyed his pieces on KotakuAU and other places.

For the record, our dealings were probably slightly unpleasant because I always had very little patience for PR people, he's a nice enough dude and a pro.

Oh man, that makes two of us!

GunSlingerAUS said:
Hey folks

Hi Bennett!

GunSlingerAUS

Neo Member
Yes, that was meant to say "Diablo III beta".

Also, I'm not going to be replying to any feedback on my comment - to be frank, I really don't have the time to spend days debating this, which would be inevitable given the reaction to the initial story. I've laid out my thoughts on why I wrote the piece, and it's up to you whether or not you agree with it. Have at it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How do you GET PAID to WRITE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES and have an isometric camera be "unfamiliar" to you? How the fuck does that happen?

Fake Edit: Editor in Chief? For real? I don't even ...you know what, I'm just going to go play Xenoblade for a bit.

Actual Edit: Some respect for actually coming and defending the article. But yes, if you're writing about PC games, not having played StarCraft at any point over a 12 year period is kind of shameful to be honest. That's like writing for a Nintendo site but never really playing this "Zelda" doohickey people keep talking about.

Mlatador

Banned
the question that's been asked in this article is just too ridiculous.

no real gamer/videogame enthusiast, after having seen first footage of diablo 3, whould have thought "why is this not a fps" or "hmm, could this even work as a fps" - REALLY NOONE!!!

such a ridiculous question/thought you could only expect from souless corporate managers who doesn't have any real connection/knowledge to/about videogames at all. the ones that are litteraly unable to produce any own thoughs/opinions without the use of the latest marketing data-sheets.

also, such a ridiculous question is being asked during a pretty sensitive time for old-skool/mulit-genre/console gamers and everyone who basically cares about a healty gaming industry.

Xcom, Front Mission, Syndicate.... what happend to those franchises has just pissed too many people off.

I had a good lough, but other's - is there really anyone who took that article seirously - might just downright hate mr bennet now.

Gattsu25

Banned
This is the kind of question that 12 year olds ask when they are tripping balls. I hope no one feels it was close to a mature discussion.

Top Bottom