• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpy: Tony Hawk's American Sk8land is definitely the best DS game to date

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
after playing this game, I suddenly realised nintendos redesign of the ds could really use some buttons you can see the labels of. indent them in white so I can look at all the controls. I havent played tony hawks in about 5 years and I constantly have to look at the buttons, which I can't read.

I've got it on kids mode :(

bummyhead

isamu said:
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You guys would actually rather play Sk8land on DS, than THUG2 Remix on the PSP? You can't possibly compare the two. THUG 2 remix is on a whole nother level of awesomeness over this Cel-shaded version that is limited in somany ways compared to the PSP game.

What? this coming from the raving lunatic is who mad that FF3 is being remade for DS instead of a more limited rmake on GBA?

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2142611&postcount=214

Why would ANYONE care what you have to say?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PezRadar said:
owned

And like people said.. THAS is like the classic tony hawks while THUG2.. is like the new ones with extra added retarded shit as an appetizer
He just needs to take some more sedatives imo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've just been playing it for 2 hours, its really really good. Cell shading works as well.

I only really played THPS so I'm a bit of a newb at the moment, there are so many moves and shit to learn. I once again would like to reiterate my stance that the DS redesign needs buttons that can be read in dim light, white on black etc

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I absolutely love the cutscene presentation. Very impressed. They just plain went all out on this game.

I still lol at the legacy mode. Can't believe they put that in there...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
I still lol at the legacy mode. Can't believe they put that in there...

Isn't the legacy mode for uploading to the internet or something?

Mejilan

catfish said:
Isn't the legacy mode for uploading to the internet or something?

No, that's the wireless mode! ^_^

Legacy mode angles the camera and pulls it way out to simulate the GBA THPS experience... Hahahaha. It's great. Not in a playable way, but just that it's there. I also picked up THAS GBA, so I think I'll compare the two when I have more time!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so whos playin this? I've got to wait 6 more days until I get my dongle, but the offline is really cool. I'm basically a thps newb all over again and learning new tricks is pretty cool. there are so many ways to keep your combos going its great. My park is coming along nicely too....

fresquito

Finally I was able to go online through my wificard and got my friendcode. I´ve registered it to Demi´s site and added everyone there. I just hope someone adds me :lol

BTW, had my first online play and was pretty disappointed. I was beaten to a pulp, but that´s not the thing. I just played against a fellow that would go to the pool and be there no matter what. Not that funny if you ask me :-/

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
catfish said:
so whos playin this? I've got to wait 6 more days until I get my dongle, but the offline is really cool. I'm basically a thps newb all over again and learning new tricks is pretty cool. there are so many ways to keep your combos going its great. My park is coming along nicely too....

It's awesome. Way better than the PSP game, imo. Haven't tried online yet.

Mejilan

I'm adding all of the friend codes on Demi's site, but have been too busying playing DQ8 and MKDS again..

Since the last THPS game I truly mastered was 3, with a bit of 4 (hated THUG, THUG 2, etc), I'll have to essentially rebuild my skills from scratch.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nine words said:
BTW, had my first online play and was pretty disappointed. I was beaten to a pulp, but that´s not the thing. I just played against a fellow that would go to the pool and be there no matter what. Not that funny if you ask me :-/

can you describe the online mode a bit? can you actually see the other person in the same level and crash into them and stuff? what sort of modes are there? I found a wireless network in my building but even though it says unsecured I can't get on (probably mac filtered or something)

fresquito

Sure.

I´ve played against random people. When you finally find someone to play with (not that much time to wait), you both are thrown to a level that consist in some pipes and stuff. You can push start and choose betweeen different modes. Once you set up the game, the other one gets a message that a game has been set, he can join or not (everytime I created a game, the other guy would agree, and so I did, so I don´t know what happens when you choose not to join). When you set up a game, you choose the mode, rules and level. There´re different modes to play. I´ve tried some of them, not all.

There´s a mode where you have to get the biggest points in a certain time. Then you can play another mode where the biggest combo wins. Another mode where you have to get near to a certain score. there´s free mode, and I can´t recall if there´s another mode.

You cannot hit the other guy, biut you can see him and can find him through the map on the low screen. No slowdowns or graphical glitches either. However, it feels a bit of a lonely experience, even when you are competing against someone. However, my second game was better than the first, since the guy I played with would go and do different things in different places. He wasn´t a pro by any means, just like me. So I felt much more confortable :D

BTW, I´ve seen Jonny and the main event, tried to play with them both, but couldn´t :-/

nine words said:
Sure.

I´ve played against random people. When you finally find someone to play with (not that much time to wait), you both are thrown to a level that consist in some pipes and stuff. You can push start and choose betweeen different modes. Once you set up the game, the other one gets a message that a game has been set, he can join or not (everytime I created a game, the other guy would agree, and so I did, so I don´t know what happens when you choose not to join). When you set up a game, you choose the mode, rules and level. There´re different modes to play. I´ve tried some of them, not all.

There´s a mode where you have to get the biggest points in a certain time. Then you can play another mode where the biggest combo wins. Another mode where you have to get near to a certain score. there´s free mode, and I can´t recall if there´s another mode.

You cannot hit the other guy, biut you can see him and can find him through the map on the low screen. No slowdowns or graphical glitches either. However, it feels a bit of a lonely experience, even when you are competing against someone. However, my second game was better than the first, since the guy I played with would go and do different things in different places. He wasn´t a pro by any means, just like me. So I felt much more confortable :D

BTW, I´ve seen Jonny and the main event, tried to play with them both, but couldn´t :-/

Heh, I was just doing some classic mode stuff to try it out. It sucks to not have an icon warning you about a friend searching for a game as in MK. I'll check out the other modes later.

nine words said:
How´s classic online? Do you play against someone? :-/

No, you play the same levels with THPS-style goals in it (High score, Combo Score, S-K-A-T-E Letters, Hidden Tapes etc. within 2 Minutes)

It really rocks, its just a bit too easy, the game places you in front of your goals in storymode and the letters, goals etc is marked on the map... :/ should be off at least in Pro mode. Couldn't play online yet, waiting for dongle.

Yeah, you do all the classic TH modes as :Motorbass mentioned, and then upload your scores on the official website. You can also save a replay and then upload it for other people to see it if you like. It's pretty fun so far.

fresquito

:Motorbass said:
No, you play the same levels with THPS-style goals in it (High score, Combo Score, S-K-A-T-E Letters, Hidden Tapes etc. within 2 Minutes)

It really rocks, its just a bit too easy, the game places you in front of your goals in storymode and the letters, goals etc is marked on the map... :/ should be off at least in Pro mode. Couldn't play online yet, waiting for dongle.
Yeah, I know, I know. I just was wondering how´s online classic mode. What´s different from offline classic? :-/

BTW, checking some profiles I realised people have stadistics but I have not. Are those stadistics taken from online classic mode or something? I´m yet to play classic mode, that´s maybe why I ave no data yet :-/

fresquito

Don´t worry, The Main Event just explained it all. And you´re wrong, you can actually play classic mode online (but not against anyone).

Nick

isamu said:
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You guys would actually rather play Sk8land on DS, than THUG2 Remix on the PSP? You can't possibly compare the two. THUG 2 remix is on a whole nother level of awesomeness over this Cel-shaded version that is limited in somany ways compared to the PSP game.
I have THUG2 for the PSP. It is a blurry, un-playable mess that is only useful for its soundtrack. 2/10

Add me!

I'm on demi's site!

I need to play THPS with someone here and school them in the ways of THPS.
Friendnumber.jpg

I think the point of having classic mode in the WiFi menu is that you can quickly upload your new scores after landing them in a run. But the downside is that the wireless connection will be active even though you're just playing alone, so your battery will drain faster. I'm 99% sure your replays and scores and such can be uploaded even if you play classic mode offline and then connect to WFC to update the data.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to take my ds to work tomorrow to try and get online. I only just started there, it really would be in my best interests if nintendo released the #@# dongle already.

This aint too shabby. Haven't played a TH game since 2 on PSX and GBA. I dig it. I spent most of my time making boards and an O RLY tag. :lol

I had some kind of problem trying to make a profile last night on the site though. Could be a temp thing, I'll try again later. :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This game is incredibly f$#@$#$ good. I got this and Mario Kart going today and I'm more stuck on this. I'm really surprised at the translation this franchise made to the DS.

Tain

I understand that the whole off-board thing was removed, but what other actions ARE in there? Is it basically the whole American Wasteland set of moves outside of that? Or no natas? Reverts? Spine transfers?

Tain said:
I understand that the whole off-board thing was removed, but what other actions ARE in there? Is it basically the whole American Wasteland set of moves outside of that? Or no natas? Reverts? Spine transfers?

It has everything you mention. All it lacks is the off-board junk. It even has focus and bert sliding. (I don't know how to do the latter yet, but I saw it in an online replay.)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
This is good too? damnit. I just bought Mario Kart a day or two ago. I thought I didnt have to worry about tony hawk purchases after playing them so much on consoles. hah..

Mejilan

Yeah, once connecting to WFC, there's a selection in the menu that allows you to upload your stats to the official THAS website. I believe you have to have your THAS save and your THAS Website Profile "merged" first. It's a fairly simple, one-time process, however.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't see any options for voice chat.

I've barely touched online though except to download replays. Seriously, if you ever liked TH you need to give this a try. I haven't had this much fun with the game in ages. The recordable voice feature is hilarious.

Mejilan

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't see any options for voice chat.

I've barely touched online though except to download replays. Seriously, if you ever liked TH you need to give this a try. I haven't had this much fun with the game in ages. The recordable voice feature is hilarious.

I think for my successes, I have "KICKING ASS!" recorded, and for my bails "Ffffffuck!"
:lol

Mejilan

Musashi Wins! said:
Mine are equally obvious and obscene. It's stupid but so funny.

I'm sure once the novelty (giggles) wears off, I'll swap 'em for something more appropriate and serious in nature! Maybe. ;p

I have Quagmire going GIGGIDY GIGGIDY! When I land a special and remember that episode where Peter goes to the beer factory and he falls and scrapes his knee on the way home after finding the ticket and he goes AAGHHH

AGHHHH

AHHHH

I have that as my voice clip for when I fall over.

:3

And Mejilan I added you, play me. :(

Ugh... I think I know why they left out Horse and Graffiti.

Because if I can recall correctly in previous games you could create your own horse letters and in this game you can use custom graffiti.

:/

It's an E rated game and SOMEONE 8 years old (their parents) might get offended if they found out instead of horse they were playing "Hot Man Chowder" and the graffiti was very phallic in nature.

Mejilan

Too much MK. Not enough THAS. Not enough time.

I'm going to sleep soon. But I hope to get much more gaming done during the 4.5 days I have off for Thanksgiving. I somehow don't think that the X360, should I even score one, will totally dominate my time.

Maybe they've changed it in recent years, but I know that in the first few TH games, the Graffiti multiplayer mode just used red and blue to show which pieces had been scored on. I have to wonder if the reason that's not included in Sk8Land is that it would take up too much RAM and/or bandwidth to keep track of the markings and scores to beat on each piece.

Besides, you can still make your own graffiti tag and put it up on the walls during online play, there's just no reason to do so except to show off.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on how to get your air stats up? I have trouble keeping a combo with lots of grabs running, mainly cause a revert/manual slows you down alot. I need to do something like 12 grabs in a row to get the next point I think. Also, are these levels that have been in another tony hawk? I think I've played on alcatraz before.

Only problems i have with the game is that the difficulty in story seems a bit up and down, they put you right in front of the thing you are supposed to grind most of the time and then occasionally a really hard goal crops up. Also the touch screen stuff isn't that great, the freak out o meter is starting to get annoying. touch specials are just the same as button combo specials though, so it's all good.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
catfish said:
Also, are these levels that have been in another tony hawk? I think I've played on alcatraz before.

Well, yes, Alcatraz is an old map. But I've not seen any of the other in any earlier TH-games. Of course, I Haven't played any of the TH: Underground games either, just THPS1-4..

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so how's the game? and the online mode does it play well? I mean the game randomly selects your opponent or does it give you the choice to select whoever you want to play against?

Top Bottom