• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop having a 50% console trade in bonus week, $232 for Wii U (USA)

RagnarokX

Don't forget new PS4s come with $10 PSN card and TLOU digital voucher code (which you can sell/trade) so it will knock the price off even more. I traded my Wii U and PS4 earlier today, bought a new one from Best Buy, and was playing Destiny in under an hour after re-installing my 1TB drive, downloading games, and restoring save files from my thumb drive. Its a lot quieter than my launch PS4 imo and its nice paying what essentially was under $10 to completely swap out my 15 month old PS4 for a brand new one.

Re: Wii U refurb trade, I traded mine in no problem and even gave them the Wii U box which has refurb all over it. As long as it powers on and everything is included and in decent shape, you will get full credit. I know most of us bought our refurbs at $205+tax so getting $232 for it a year later is a fantastic deal.

Also keep in mind PS4s have gone on pretty great sales in the past few weeks and will no doubt do so again. Two weeks ago Best Buy was selling a PS4 for $399 and you got a free Vita TV (worth $70) with it. Gamestop sells new PS4s this week for $410 with Destiny thrown in, I don't think thats a great deal though. If you do buy a new PS4 at most retailers if the price drops in the next few weeks (15 days usually, 45 days for Best Buy Elite+ members) you can price adjust it even if its bundles and stuff.

Xbox Ones don't trade for as much because there have been some insane deals the last few months, quite a number of people got xbox ones under $300 during special microsoft store deals.
But now you don't have a Wii U with the 2015 lineup incoming...

Got $125.5 tonight trading in my old ps2 slim ($37.50), dsi ($33), TLoU Remastered ($33) and NSMB Wii ($22). Was tempted to trade in my 3ds xl as well and pick up a new 3dsxl but they didn't have any black ones :/

lol
gITAWZR.png

lololol

If anyone actually thinks of doing that, I will give you 30 bucks for it. amazing, gamestop.

jrDev

So I want to do this but does gamestop still allow you to transfer you 3DS stuff to your new 3DS on the spot?

jrDev

Yes, I did it tonight. Trade-in and transfer was done in store. Transfer took over 3 hours though...
Jesus Christ! :/

EDIT: Just read that Nintendo will do it for you now with the serial number of old 3DS?

If so I'm going in tomorrow and walking out with a new3DS and some change, probably get amazon gift card since I want a brand Jot Touch Sketch Pen.

I have:
OG 3DS still new
Mario Kart WiiU (gonna lose like $6 bucks off since I purchased last year for $50 for promotion but didn't end up getting WiiU *smacks head*)
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Mahvel
NSMBU
SM3DLand

Add the 10% trade in and bam!

EDIT 2: Gamestop literally just sent me an email about this promo and told me all the great value games I have to trade too lol.

Yoday

Definitely going to do this tomorrow if they have PS4's in stock. I have a launch PS4 that is loud as all hell, so getting a new system, a new controller, a new 1yr warranty, Destiny, and TLoU for $65 is a damn good deal.

Tubie

So I can get nearly $20 for Driveclub (bought it for $25 on a holiday deal from Gamestop themselves) and almost $90 for my PS3.

Very tempted since PS4 now has HBO Go, so I can't really think of a reason to keep my PS3.

DarkOneX

This thread got me kinda excited so I traded in Need for Speed Rivals ($16.50), and with an additional $12, bought Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for X1.

Been wanting to try that out after playing Hyrule Warriors. Now I need a Musou for Vita.

NFS Rivals is such shit, one of the worst games I've bought on PS4. It could have been great but the shit with sending you back to the garage when you wreck it's so damn slow at loading into it and back out of it. Gonna trade this in along with a few other games that I bought for almost the same price they are giving back in trade value and it'll pay for BF Hardline and Project Cars w00t!

I successfully traded in my launch PS4 for a new PS4 but they said it didn't come with Destiny. Anyone else run into this?

It's definitely advertised on the website.

Warablo

I can't find on their site where the sale is?

Anyway I saved and printed my trade in value of $230. Just need to see where they give you 50% extra credit..

Namikaze

So, what should I do before trading in my PS4? Most of my saves are in the cloud, should I back them up to a usb flash drive just in case? Also, I don't see anything in the settings that would allow me to factory reset the console.

Krakn3Dfx

Worth swapping out a launch PS4 for a newer model? I also have a DS4 w/ a faulty left analog stick, so I'd basically be getting another year of warranty time and a working controller out of the deal. Are the newer models really noticeably quieter than the launch models?

No one will buy my Xbox One with Kinect :p

In the post-apocalypse, you can use the Kinect as a weapon, swing it above your head, and take out raiders with it.

That's what I plan to do with mine at least. RIP Kinect.

Gonna trade in my 3DS XL later today. Only thing I'm worried about is the extra 50% credit thing. There's no mention of it on the website so I have a feeling they'll have no idea what I'm talking about haha

Krakn3Dfx

Anyone know of Gamestop checks HD size on PS4 trades? I have a 250GB drive I could throw in and make the deal even better for myself.

730511c1c5b890e55485bfebf6b9914d.jpg

What about OG 3ds? Is it affected?

EditNevermibd.

To darkjedi who said you got 105 back from 0G3ds and dsi. On their website,it mentions that the og3ds is 40 and 50 for trade in. And dsi is 20, and then 25 for trade in. Even when I multiplied both trade in values, I didn't get 105.

But now you don't have a Wii U with the 2015 lineup incoming...

I just honestly am not much of a Nintendo games kind of guy, outside of MK8 and SSMB none of them hold my interest for more than 15 minute sessions. Its very cliche but I totally love FPS "bro" gun games like Destiny, GTA, COD, Battlefield, etc and pretty much spend all my time in those. The only big Nintendo Wii U games coming out this year are Zelda and Xenoblade and neither interest me very much. I suspect the well will run pretty dry after that as Nintendo is gearing up things for their next console. But of course its all YMMV and every person has to make their own decision.

For the other questions above here:

- The 50% trade bonus offer was sent by email to PUR/Pro members last night, so its definitely good at all stores. Its completely automatic when you do a console trade in, so even if the cashier is clueless and doesn't know about it the system will boost the trade. Gamestop credit only, and you must register as a PUR member (free) before you do the trade. PUR is their rewards program, just needs your name/address/email/phone. PUR Pro costs $15/2 years and gives 10% extra on game trades and 10% discount on used games, but you do not need that.

- You can look up trade values on everything at http://gamestop.com/trade for consoles multiply by 1.5 for games its the value shown (10% boost if PUR pro). Look up the items before you go in, and establish what you are expecting to get so there are no surprises. You get a trade amount shown on their little computer system and have to sign and agree so you can always change your mind if it doesn't match.

- For consoles they will generally plug in everything and turn the system on and try a game from their own library so yeah it needs to work, the controllers can't be wonky, etc. Its all YMMV on what they would consider damage and such.

- In general you can only trade for gamestop credit, but you can buy amazon (kindle) GCs, Taco Bell, Shell Gas Station, etc with them. Some people have posted websites that give you 90c/dollar for gamestop gift cards and let you swap it for google wallet ecash, which I think you can move into your bank account.

I just honestly am not much of a Nintendo games kind of guy, outside of MK8 and SSMB none of them hold my interest for more than 15 minute sessions. Its very cliche but I totally love FPS "bro" gun games like Destiny, GTA, COD, Battlefield, etc and pretty much spend all my time in those. The only big Nintendo Wii U games coming out this year are Zelda and Xenoblade and neither interest me very much. I suspect the well will run pretty dry after that as Nintendo is gearing up things for their next console. But of course its all YMMV and every person has to make their own decision.

For the other questions above here:

- The 50% trade bonus offer was sent by email to PUR/Pro members last night, so its definitely good at all stores. Its completely automatic when you do a console trade in, so even if the cashier is clueless and doesn't know about it the system will boost the trade. Gamestop credit only, and you must register as a PUR member (free) before you do the trade. PUR is their rewards program, just needs your name/address/email/phone. PUR Pro costs $15/2 years and gives 10% extra on game trades and 10% discount on used games, but you do not need that.

- You can look up trade values on everything at http://gamestop.com/trade for consoles multiply by 1.5 for games its the value shown (10% boost if PUR pro). Look up the items before you go in, and establish what you are expecting to get so there are no surprises. You get a trade amount shown on their little computer system and have to sign and agree so you can always change your mind if it doesn't match.

- For consoles they will generally plug in everything and turn the system on and try a game from their own library so yeah it needs to work, the controllers can't be wonky, etc. Its all YMMV on what they would consider damage and such.

- In general you can only trade for gamestop credit, but you can buy amazon (kindle) GCs, Taco Bell, Shell Gas Station, etc with them. Some people have posted websites that give you 90c/dollar for gamestop gift cards and let you swap it for google wallet ecash, which I think you can move into your bank account.

Thank you :)

Ascenion

The Xbox One trade value has got to be split across accessories. I mean who the fuck just has the power cable? That makes no sense. $160 is too low.

JPS Kai

Anyone know of Gamestop checks HD size on PS4 trades? I have a 250GB drive I could throw in and make the deal even better for myself.

730511c1c5b890e55485bfebf6b9914d.jpg

Not that I know of. We primarily just check HDD sizes on PS3/360's but you could always get an employee that does all of the testing that they're supposed to when taking a system in trade.

Tubie

I got $104 for my PS3 Slim and an extra controller, $33 for The Last of Us Remastered (wow I couldn't believe they are still offering so much for that game) and $19 for Driveclub.

I have enough Gamestop credit now to buy Battlefield Hardline, Bloodborne and Mortal Kombat X.

HeeHo

I took advantage of this. Traded in my old 3ds xl back and got almost 100 credit. I only paid 140 for it at Target. One thing though, I asked the manager who was helping me if there was some console trade in promotion and he initially told me no, and that I'd only be getting near 60. If I didn't already have the new 3days xl, that could've potentially driven me away. Not until his associate started doing the trade in did I see on the screen I was getting 100 store credit.

Paid off Type 0 and most of Bloodborne.

coopolon

I took advantage of this. Traded in my old 3ds xl back and got almost 100 credit. I only paid 140 for it at Target. One thing though, I asked the manager who was helping me if there was some console trade in promotion and he initially told me no, and that I'd only be getting near 60. If I didn't already have the new 3days xl, that could've potentially driven me away. Not until his associate started doing the trade in did I see on the screen I was getting 100 store credit.

Paid off Type 0 and most of Bloodborne.

Why were you getting so little? a 3ds xl should get $70 before the bonus for trade in credit.

Got it to work last night with some resistance from the employees. They said they had no such promotion and hadn't done something like that in a couple of years. I told them it's on the Internet and been verified by a few people and they agreed to scan the consoles to see and it worked.

Grabbed a new3DS XL after trading in my old XL and OG along with last of us and fifa.

On the fence about going in and getting a new ps4. Not that mine has any problems it'd be nice to have a new one with a fresh warranty.

Why were you getting so little? a 3ds xl should get $70 before the bonus for trade in credit.

Because math?

Tempted to flip my OG PS4 for a new one, but tax kinda kills it for me (CA). If I trade for $345 and get the destiny/tlou bundle for $410, tax brings it to $442ish. That's $100 nearly for two games I have no need for and potentially longer console life.

How much could I flip TLOU and Destiny for, ya think?

Blader

Trading in my busted 360 today. With the bonus, I'll only get about $30 store credit for it, which sucks, but also...it's broken, and has been for nearly 3 years now. And I have no intention of shelling out $100 to repair/replace it, especially since all my gaming time going forward will be spent on PS4.

Tempted to flip my OG PS4 for a new one, but tax kinda kills it for me (CA). If I trade for $345 and get the destiny/tlou bundle for $410, tax brings it to $442ish. That's $100 nearly for two games I have no need for and potentially longer console life.

TLOU like $20, dunno about Destiny.

I'm in the same boat as you. The sales tax here will bump it up here as well (CA) I could trade in games with it to lower the price but I already have destiny and just traded in TLOU. I know gamestop is taking destiny back for $25 I think so you could just trade it in after the transaction. IF they give you a physical copy in that promo.

What precautions do I need to take with my Wii U before trading it in? Deleting data, profiles, etc?

Write down the serial number and nintendo ID, you will need them if you ever buy a new Wii U - you have to call Nintendo to transfer your licenses to a new system, just logging in with a NNID won't work (it won't even let you).

Delete your user (mii) but NOT your nintendo network id, that would erase all your digital games. go to the last option in system settings, its something like erase all data, do that. Now your Wii U is clean, you can go through setup with a dummy account (don't set up NNID) just so its faster when the gamestop employee boots it up.

Top Bottom