• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Managers Conference: Who's There?

thuway

Deadly Monk said:
What is this 160 GB PS3 people keep bringing up? Is it a rumor or fact and is the only difference a bigger hard drive?
It comes with a larger hard drive and Uncharted packed in at a 100 dollar premium. Also, in Europe its supposed to have 70 euro worth of downloadable games / content.

Deadly Monk said:
What is this 160 GB PS3 people keep bringing up? Is it a rumor or fact and is the only difference a bigger hard drive?
Fact, it will be $500 bundled with the awesomeness known as Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Somnia

Deadly Monk said:

Comes out in Nov. 160gb, Dual Shock 3, Uncharted and PSN Game PAIN...for 499.99

thuway

NolbertoS said:
I was expecting a GS Manager's E3 type but GAF disappoints...I guess the TGS it is than, for my next orgasmic gaming news.
C'mon Gamestop managers, don't let me down.

RBH

Some news from Microsoft:

Finally, Microsoft fans can potentially look forward to the 60 gigabyte Xbox 360 harddrive being available in a $99 bundle that will include the HDD, three months of Xbox Live, and an ethernet cable. And if you want a game to play on your fancy new next-generation setup? Well, there's always last year's Project Gotham Racing 4, which our sources tell us will be packaged with 12 months of Xbox Live and a messenger kit for $69.99.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169843

Pacman2k

NichM said:
I'm told there's an early English build of Persona 4 at the show, for anyone who's there and interested.

Shit. All this talk about Resistance 2 and I can play that any time I want...

BUT NOW, you mention P4 and I start drooling.

I want it. Now. Damn it!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The manager at the GS I lampoon at text everyone that Pure was shit hot, but you should have already known that. :D

daegan

NichM said:
I'm told there's an early English build of Persona 4 at the show, for anyone who's there and interested.

Played this. It's coming along awesome! The guy in your booth was great for conversation too. I think I was there for a good half hour to an hour... I didn't want to leave but I had to try SF4 :D

Quick ones:

Blizz showed some internal vids of SCII and Lich King that supposedly haven't been released yet - in particular the SCII vid was a internal match of protoss v zerg.

Mirror's Edge is amazing IRL

The Guitar Hero drum pedal is ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE. I played one song on it and I seriously wanted to run it over. It doesn't pop at all and it isn't balanced well - instead of having contacts on the outside there's one GIANT ONE in the middle of it, so one side or the other usually goes down. Finally the kit tends to rock back and forth. I never thought the RB2 kit would be the one to get.

I'm worried about how inertia and physics based LBP seems to be. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I think people may get frustrated when they have to think hard about how to approach a jump.

Activision brought Mark McGrath (lol) but then Travis Barker and then Ozzy Osbourne. That music creator looks a little too complex.

HMX lost to the GameStop band :D

As previously noted, Cammie Dunaway said shit

Heard one of the greatest in-game lines ever at Sega's session - "HE JUST STUFFED HIM IN THERE LIKE A BASKETBALL PLAYER STUFFS A HOOKER'S BUTT"

pissed at Capcom for running out of Street Fighter bandanas :(

RE5 is solid, Gears 2 is too slow, Halo Wars is surprisingly fun

MS brought out Lupe Fiasco to show Lips :eek:

Square confirmed that KH:CoM+ is JUST KH:CoM+ *anger*

The Aksys guy was miffed that they brought BattleFantasia 360 but GS isn't ordering it new. I mused that it's because they left behind the PS3 version

Midnight Club crashed a lot :(

Sega had midgets dressed as elves throwing out Golden Axe turkey legs

As previously stated here Fight Night R4 was shown, looked early visually but the improvements sound totally solid - no more invisible wall, degrees of getting hit, different reaches for fighters

The R2 video was DAMN inducing and involved a lot of Ted Price almost dying XD (hey Insomniac guys, and any other devs who had their people out there, know that a lot of us really really REALLY appreciate you guys coming out. thank you so much :eek:)

No FIFA on display but I can just download that demo today

Ubi brought Shaun White and the Prince of Persia producer. PoP wasn't playable :(

Wasn't horribly impressed by Molyneux's Fable talk but am totally impressed that he's signing free copies for everyone :eek:

That's all the big stuff I can remember. If you have specific questions about something that I mentioned or want to know if something was shown just ask and I'll probably catch it when I get home tonight. I'm in the airport right now, about to grab some breakfast.

thuway

daegan said:

The R2 video was DAMN inducing and involved a lot of Ted Price almost dying XD (hey Insomniac guys, and any other devs who had their people out there, know that a lot of us really really REALLY appreciate you guys coming out. thank you so much :eek:)

MORE PLEASE!!!! How were the graphics? What did the level look like? What made it "inducing"?

This post = TOTAL WIN.

daegan

_dementia said:
but what about the SFIV accessories?

(EDIT HERE: I've been informed that the photos I have aren't something I can make publicly available :( I'm sorry! I think I can still describe it further, I know it's not the same but again, not worth me not being able to do this next year by inadvertantly betraying people's trust.)

The controllers looked okay, with a plate-style d-pad.

The standard stick is probably your average tekken 5 bundle level; the special one is $130 but supposedly uses the same parts as the arcade. This doesn't matter if they screw up the rest of the build. It does visibly look stockier than the standard but without holding it who knows ---

(the actual arcade machine was sweet though :D)

thuway: sorry, i typed that crazy. like "damn!" inducing, it induces one to say damn.

very different pace as compared to standard Resistance. the level occurs in a bog-ish forest with lots of jumping out, cloaked enemies, as opposed to wave after wave after wave. the up-close AI (i forget the word Price used) is a really cool concept when lent to an enemy like these. pretty freaky stuff. everything blows up really nice and it's up there with the best looking stuff so far but I wouldn't put it head and shoulders above anything. i haven't been following r2 closely so i don't know if the weapons were new or anything.

zapages: i used c. viper and got MURDERED. game is more deliberately paced but other than that my playtime was very brief :D pop is beautiful - i was dead wrong about 1v1 combat, it's truly epic in the way it's framed and the care put into the fights. bugs are always a worry with an ubi game but this looks quite nice.

bumpkin

daegan said:
Mirror's Edge is amazing IRL

I'm worried about how inertia and physics based LBP seems to be. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I think people may get frustrated when they have to think hard about how to approach a jump.

Gears 2 is too slow
Glad to hear Mirror's Edge is just as awesome in person as it looks in the trailers. I'm not at all surprised that LBP's jumping is so heavily physics-based; the trailers give that impression. And Gears of War 1 was pretty slow and methodical, so what's wrong with 2 following suit?

daegan

bumpkin said:
Glad to hear Mirror's Edge is just as awesome in person as it looks in the trailers. I'm not at all surprised that LBP's jumping is so heavily physics-based; the trailers give that impression. And Gears of War 1 was pretty slow and methodical, so what's wrong with 2 following suit?

discussing the multi. when you see trailers of the SP, it looks way faster than GoW or at least on the same level. gow2 seems SLOWER than gow1. also screw the riot shield XD

also guys I'm sorry for lack of punctuation but I am very tired and didn't even bother showering so I could get to the airport on time. which is where I am right now. Got another 15ish minutes.

thuway

daegan said:
I actually have pictures but they were behind glass. I'll upload sometime soon, probably when I'm home.

The standard stick is probably your average tekken 5 bundle level; the special one is $130 but supposedly uses the same parts as the arcade. This doesn't matter if they screw up the rest of the build. It does visibly look stockier than the standard but without holding it who knows ---

(the actual arcade machine was sweet though :D)

thuway: sorry, i typed that crazy. like "damn!" inducing, it induces one to say damn.

very different pace as compared to standard Resistance. the level occurs in a bog-ish forest with lots of jumping out, cloaked enemies, as opposed to wave after wave after wave. the up-close AI (i forget the word Price used) is a really cool concept when lent to an enemy like these. pretty freaky stuff. everything blows up really nice and it's up there with the best looking stuff so far but I wouldn't put it head and shoulders above anything. i haven't been following r2 closely so i don't know if the weapons were new or anything.

:-O. Epic. Epic. EPIC. If you were to compare the game graphically (in its rough state, Mr. Stevenson has said the polish hasn't been fully implemented yet), what would you compare it to? How would you say it looked compared to Gears?

Also, what is the MSRP for the Street Fighter IV pads? Did they look anything like the ones that were released on the Anniversary collection?

daegan

I'd compare it to a CoD4 or 5. Looks less plastic-y than GoW; the lighting looks more organic to me as well. (keep in mind tho i PLAYED GoW2 and just WATCHED R2) not necessarily BETTER, but I liked it visually more.

edit: dementia: no problem :D plane is boarding now, but i'll check the thread at the house :eek:

edit edit: forgot - mad catz is also making a couple rayman 3 accessories including a rabbid charge station that physically holds the remotes in its hands, his eyes light up red while charging; and a plunger gun and a rabbid sleeve for the wiimote. not useful but fun XD

thuway

daegan said:
I'd compare it to a CoD4 or 5. Looks less plastic-y than GoW; the lighting looks more organic to me as well. (keep in mind tho i PLAYED GoW2 and just WATCHED R2) not necessarily BETTER, but I liked it visually more.
You sir. Are my hero.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
daegan said:
I actually have pictures but they were behind glass. I'll upload sometime soon, probably when I'm home.

Thanks, I cannot wait for these pics :D

daegan

Riskbreaker23 said:
mad the KHII final mix wont be coming out but did they say when KH:CoM+ is being released?

sorry. this fall, 29.99

oh and disgaea and odin sphere are going greatest hits. XD sorry, as i sit here more stuff is coming back to me. i'm also suppressing my rage at being on the plane with one of my most hated people from the company and my flight getting pushed because they can't replace a fucking light bulb fast enough. AND this shit is longer on the way back by like an hour :(((((

edit: someone asked about the pad price on the sf4 pads; i don't remember but i want to say 39? wireless ps3, wired 360. both arcade sticks are wired in both versions (std and premium). similar shape on the pads to the old ones but not the same - the old ones were naki (i think), these ones are mad catz. in particular they don't have those weird shoulders.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man at the resistance 2 info. I am making an excellent choice by making sure I get R2 at above any other game. Great potential. I really want to see more on the boss fights. I hope they pull it off awesomely. Show me da squid (I think it's in one of the trailers).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
daegan said:

Daegan, check PM please.

Also! The dpads are a work in progress and the ones at the show do not reflect the final product. The d-pad will be different.

daegan

Unfortunately the pictures aren't going to be available at this time; the extent of my elaboration is up there in the 8:55 post. >.<

bababa

What non-360 free games did they give out? Wondering what I might get from my manager.

edit: nvm I just read in the other thread it was Animal Crossing, Wii Music, LBP, Socom. Anything I missed?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
daegan said:
Unfortunately the pictures aren't going to be available at this time; the extent of my elaboration is up there in the 8:55 post. >.<
Why did you change your mind? Boo.

Levi

Banned
I met N'Gai Croal at the show. He was super nice. We chatted about Mirror's Edge. N'Gai didn't think it had mass market appeal because the guns slow you down. For the record, I loved it. LOVED IT. I played it so hard I crashed the PS3 they were demoing it on.

The game I got the most time on was Tomb Raider: Underworld. Fantastic. A lot more open than Legend was. I was also really pleasantly surprised by Resistance: Retribution. I hadn't played the PSP Syphon Filter games, so I didn't have many expectations going in. It felt a lot better on the PSP than I thought it would. I was bummed that your health doesn't recharge -- since you're not Hale, you don't have that ability. The reticule inside of a reticule is a genius way of getting around the lack of a second analog stick.

Little Big Planet was as fun as you guys are expecting. Believe the hype.

I met Shawn Smith and he took me through the Ninja Town DS game. First of all, he was a super nice guy. Second of all, the game is great. Tower Defense fans are going to love it. I loved it!

I got a few minutes on the PC version of World at War. It was in the Russian campaign. I executed a prisoner who was begging for his life, and an NPC said something to the effect of "this isn't a war it's a massacre". I don't know if you can let him live, I didn't try to do that. From the game footage and my brief play-through I think this game is going to be huge. Most gamers don't know or care about the developers behind the games, and the game looks close enough to Modern Warfare that I don't think the millions of mass market gamers who bought COD4 are going to be disappointed by this game.

As far as Lich King and Starcraft 2, Blizzard DID confirm that both games are shipping.... someday. :) (A joke so nice they used it twice!)

I wanted to get hands-on with Dead Space, SF4, R2, GoW2, KZ2, PoP, etc., but I only had a limited time at the expo, and honestly I spent a big chunk of that looking for N'Gai after seeing from his tweets that he was there.

Most of the people I talked to were really impressed by EA this year. Lots of great looking new IP, and their presentation was very slick. Kept a bunch of really sleepy Gamestoppers paying attention, which is more than I can say for the vendors that just showed powerpoints or stuff we could see at Game Trailers.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is that we were shown a trailer for Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm not a pixel counter, but it looked to me like it was as good as the screenshots, and we were told that it was all in-game. (I don't think that trailer is going to get released, as it was very framey).

The game of the show that popped onto my radar from nowhere is the new Red Faction. They played it for us, and it looked good. The tech is great, hopefully the game will be as good.

Wii music looked better here than at E3, but so many of the instruments sound the same (like midi files) and there's no game to it that I could see. It'll still sell a ton of copies, though.

R2 looked wonderful. Lot of believers at Gamestop now. I like that Ted didn't learn his lesson from E3, didn't turn God Mode on. :D He had to run away and regenerate several times during the demo. First thing that struck me was how chatty Hale is now. There was no v/o narration, and Hale spoke quite a bit during the cut scene we were shown. Much better way to tell a story, I think. I also liked how "chunky" it was. They are earning their M rating for sure. I liked how integral the NPCs seemed to be to your success. Very impressive presentation, over all. Definitely stoked my game boner for that title.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I didn't like Red Faction. A sledge hammer should not be able to take down a building. Oh and tell them how Guitar Hero owned all.

thuway

VsRobot said:
I met N'Gai Croal at the show. He was super nice. We chatted about Mirror's Edge. N'Gai didn't think it had mass market appeal because the guns slow you down. For the record, I loved it. LOVED IT. I played it so hard I crashed the PS3 they were demoing it on.

The game I got the most time on was Tomb Raider: Underworld. Fantastic. A lot more open than Legend was. I was also really pleasantly surprised by Resistance: Retribution. I hadn't played the PSP Syphon Filter games, so I didn't have many expectations going in. It felt a lot better on the PSP than I thought it would. I was bummed that your health doesn't recharge -- since you're not Hale, you don't have that ability. The reticule inside of a reticule is a genius way of getting around the lack of a second analog stick.

Little Big Planet was as fun as you guys are expecting. Believe the hype.

I met Shawn Smith and he took me through the Ninja Town DS game. First of all, he was a super nice guy. Second of all, the game is great. Tower Defense fans are going to love it. I loved it!

I got a few minutes on the PC version of World at War. It was in the Russian campaign. I executed a prisoner who was begging for his life, and an NPC said something to the effect of "this isn't a war it's a massacre". I don't know if you can let him live, I didn't try to do that. From the game footage and my brief play-through I think this game is going to be huge. Most gamers don't know or care about the developers behind the games, and the game looks close enough to Modern Warfare that I don't think the millions of mass market gamers who bought COD4 are going to be disappointed by this game.

As far as Lich King and Starcraft 2, Blizzard DID confirm that both games are shipping.... someday. :) (A joke so nice they used it twice!)

I wanted to get hands-on with Dead Space, SF4, R2, GoW2, KZ2, PoP, etc., but I only had a limited time at the expo, and honestly I spent a big chunk of that looking for N'Gai after seeing from his tweets that he was there.

Most of the people I talked to were really impressed by EA this year. Lots of great looking new IP, and their presentation was very slick. Kept a bunch of really sleepy Gamestoppers paying attention, which is more than I can say for the vendors that just showed powerpoints or stuff we could see at Game Trailers.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is that we were shown a trailer for Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm not a pixel counter, but it looked to me like it was as good as the screenshots, and we were told that it was all in-game. (I don't think that trailer is going to get released, as it was very framey).

The game of the show that popped onto my radar from nowhere is the new Red Faction. They played it for us, and it looked good. The tech is great, hopefully the game will be as good.

Wii music looked better here than at E3, but so many of the instruments sound the same (like midi files) and there's no game to it that I could see. It'll still sell a ton of copies, though.

R2 looked wonderful. Lot of believers at Gamestop now. I like that Ted didn't learn his lesson from E3, didn't turn God Mode on. :D He had to run away and regenerate several times during the demo. First thing that struck me was how chatty Hale is now. There was no v/o narration, and Hale spoke quite a bit during the cut scene we were shown. Much better way to tell a story, I think. I also liked how "chunky" it was. They are earning their M rating for sure. I liked how integral the NPCs seemed to be to your success. Very impressive presentation, over all. Definitely stoked my game boner for that title.

What made R2 look impressive? What about the footage that you saw made it impressive? What made the game seem "chunky"?

daegan

Adent said:
I didn't like Red Faction. A sledge hammer should not be able to take down a building. Oh and tell them how Guitar Hero owned all.

Their presentation was great. Their drum kit is crap.

Levi

Banned
thuway said:
What made R2 look impressive? What about the footage that you saw made it impressive? What made the game seem "chunky"?

The level of intensity / pacing and how nice it looked. Chunky refers to what happens to the enemies when you shoot them. ;)

daegan

MasterChief2829 said:
You do know you can run in Gears 2... don't you?

That wasn't what made the gameplay slow, although I will add that a run ability that robs your ability to shoot doesn't really speed up the pace. The map we played was larger, damage was lessened, and the game just felt more defensive than the first.

Top Bottom