• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop offer Batman Beyond Skin for Batman: Arkham City

Emitan

AndHereWeGo.gif

Obviously for gameplay's sake, they couldn't redo the entire character model proportions, so slapping the Batman Beyond skin color scheme on there was the only option. Still, it looks pretty crappy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Terry is a Bodybuilding cage fighter dudebro just like Robin now, Rocksteady's character designers are just hopeless.

I still want to see what these Rocksteady character design headless guys can do with Cassandra Cain, I guess they will make her like Gina Carano but wearing black.

Hex

Banned
Totobeni said:
Terry is a Bodybuilding cage fighter dudebro just like Robin now, Rocksteady's character designers are just hopeless.

I still want to see what these Rocksteady character design headless guys can do with Cassandra Cain, I guess they will make her like Gina Carano but wearing black.

Again.
You really do not understand the difference between a skin and a model.
This is a skin, all it does is go over the wire frame for the character.

Robin is a model, that is why he has different moves and that is also why he is not in the main game and only a couple of challenge maps.

To make this more like BB, they would have to remodel it which would require redoing every animation and every physics interaction and every movement .

MisterHero

The Wise Old Man said:
Obviously for gameplay's sake, they couldn't redo the entire character model proportions, so slapping the Batman Beyond skin color scheme on there was the only option. Still, it looks pretty crappy.
To be fair Bruce did himself wear the suit, but he could only use it for a while before he quit. Someone even posted a pic of him wearing it.

Maybe they can give him his Kingdom Come armor, which can fly and has flamethrowers (he also wore one based on it in Batman Beyond)

MisterHero said:
Maybe they can give him his Kingdom Come armor, which can fly and has flamethrowers (he also wore one based on it in Batman Beyond)

The Azrael armor from the Knightfall storyline would also look pretty nifty...

hikarutilmitt said:
Yup. You'll also notice, which I thought was odd when watching the series as it originally aired (before JL/JLU was ever on), that
Terry and his brother both have black hair yet BOTH of their parents have red hair
I always noticed that too, and never made the connection until after the first time I watched Epilogue.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I always noticed that too, and never made the connection until after the first time I watched Epilogue.

Yeah, it being so odd I figured it was just their way of making Terry fit as Batman with dark hair and black pants and such even in casual clothes. Epilogue was an incredible mindscrew, for me (and I loved it).

I STILL wish they could have put Max as Batgirl instead of just Oracle's role (so... she's still his version of Barbara, just not in the romantic sense).

Wolfe

Hex said:
Again.

Robin is a model, that is why he has different moves and that is also why he is not in the main game and only a couple of challenge maps.

To make this more like BB, they would have to remodel it which would require redoing every animation and every physics interaction and every movement .

Granted I don't know much about 3D modeling but how is what you're talking about different than the "costumes" you can get in Force Unleashed? They all use the same proportions/wireframes/animations but are obviously more than just simple reskins.

Edit: And if they are still basically just simple reskins then why can't the same be done with these Batman skins?

More information about Batman: Arkham City in EDGE magazine.

- “Bane can now team up with Batman for a series of sub-missions that see the unlikely duo tracking down shipments of chemical contraband.”

- “There will be entirely new gadget editions, and the latest to be unveiled is the Remote Electrical Charge (REC). A jury rigged shotgun variant at heart, it grants an instant spark-splattered knock back to foes, or far worse if they’re clad in metal armor and can be used to turn and adversaries breaking weapons of their own into unreliable allies, as they twitch and shudder after being hit.”

- The REC will cause machine gun holders to spray their clip uncontrollably and works wonders on multiple enemies, especially coming in handy against Joker’s one armed thug and his crowd.

- The new gadget also comes into play during puzzles. A quick blast of the REC will turn some metal objects into magnets as well as acting as a charge to redundant machinery.

- There are 4 hours worth of Catwoman gameplay in the game.

- A screenshot displays Catwoman with her goggles on, this is the first sign of her doing this.

- The main path storyline in Arkham City is bigger than Arkham Asylum’s. This is without taking the side-quests into account.

- If you fail a side-quest you’re able to return to it in a better state after upgrading your gadgets and abilities.

- There are other minor mentions of Arkham City in Arkham Asylum (like Sharp's office) but Sefton Hill didn’t mention them as he “didn’t want to spoil anything.”

RagnarokX

hikarutilmitt said:
Yup. You'll also notice, which I thought was odd when watching the series as it originally aired (before JL/JLU was ever on), that
Terry and his brother both have black hair yet BOTH of their parents have red hair
Ah, clever.
That's genetically impossible without what Cadmus did.

Other places or collections offer different suits too. I saw one from The Dark Knight Returns (the comic, not Rising, the upcoming movie) and a classic one with blue cape/gloves/boots and yellow emblem.

...I'm a sucker and would buy the DLC, although this stuff would totally be a secret unlock in the past, like in Spider-Man for PS1. AMAZING BAG-MAN

ksdixon

MightyKAC said:
Yup. Gonna mod the shit outta this puppy. Batman Beyond? Yeah that's cool. By the time the community get done with this game I'll be playing as Wolverine or something else outrageous.

You couldn't mod the first Batman:AA because of DRM they put into the final release of the PC version. Costume mods only worked for the PC demo.

RagnarokX

Radogol said:
Are you absolutely sure? My mind is blown if so.
Well, from my understanding of genetics:
Red hair is recessive. Recessive traits are only expressed if both of an individual's genes for that trait are recessive. So Terry's parents only had recessive red hair genes to pass on. Black hair should have been impossible.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
RagnarokX said:
Well, from my understanding of genetics:
Red hair is recessive. Recessive traits are only expressed if both of an individual's genes for that trait are recessive. So Terry's parents only had recessive red hair genes to pass on. Black hair should have been impossible.

Which is why
the twist in Epilogue not only works but I thought it was awesome. It's not something that turns out good for Bruce and Terry - it's just another dark result of Batman. Batman is always interesting when the question is raised about Batman's good versus Batman's bad. It's not like this twist was created without making some sense - I mean, the twist was obviously for some shock value but it made sense as previously mentioned: it is something Cadmus, and more specifically Amanda Waller, would do and it fixed the gene issue. Also, it's nice to see Amanda Waller realize her mistakes and come to grip with what she has done. It makes Waller more identifiable and believable.

RagnarokX

Shrinnan said:
Which is why
the twist in Epilogue not only works but I thought it was awesome. It's not something that turns out good for Bruce and Terry - it's just another dark result of Batman. Batman is always interesting when the question is raised about Batman's good versus Batman's bad. It's not like this twist was created without making some sense - I mean, the twist was obviously for some shock value but it made sense as previously mentioned: it is something Cadmus, and more specifically Amanda Waller, would do and it fixed the gene issue. Also, it's nice to see Amanda Waller realize her mistakes and come to grip with what she has done. It makes Waller more identifiable and believable.
It makes me wonder, though.
Was the black hair just a mistake due to not understanding genetics or did the show creators actually have something like this planned from the beginning?

Lifejumper said:
More information about Batman: Arkham City in EDGE magazine.

- There are other minor mentions of Arkham City in Arkham Asylum (like Sharp's office) but Sefton Hill didn’t mention them as he “didn’t want to spoil anything.”

What a novel idea.

brucewaynegretzky said:
People disliked that?! I thought it was EXACTLY like something Amanda Waller would do. Also, great nod to the Phantom Menace in that episoed. I loved that ending. O well.
I'm sure that was just a typo but that's too funny. :lol

You mean Phantasm, right?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hex said:
Again.

Skins can be in any shape or size and work with the same animations as original playable model(see GTA and other games cheat codes).

With Batman Beyond pre order here it's more like just a Batman Beyond "suit" for our bodybuilder steroid addicted Bruce -let's call him Mad Steve- than a real Batman Beyond Skin which is misleading too.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
RagnarokX said:
It makes me wonder, though.
Was the black hair just a mistake due to not understanding genetics or did the show creators actually have something like this planned from the beginning?

I wonder the same thing.
It all works out in the end and I feel the twist is way too complicated for them to have planned out from the beginning so it seems as if it may have all just fell into place. I mean, if they planned it out, then why didn't they end Batman Beyond with Epilogue instead of inserting it as a season finale to JLU?

Radogol

Shrinnan said:
I wonder the same thing.
It all works out in the end and I feel the twist is way too complicated for them to have planned out from the beginning so it seems as if it may have all just fell into place. I mean, if they planned it out, then why didn't they end Batman Beyond with Epilogue instead of inserting it as a season finale to JLU?
Most likely, the season was already finished by the time they were told of the cancelation.

Kunan

Sleep Arrest said:
...Why?

It's not like it has anything to do with the canon of the game, so why get so upset about it GAF?
Because half of the charm of Beyond's design is how sleek he is. This is a stumbling, overly steroid-induced version of him. I think most of the problem is the muscle definition sticking out in the lighting, whereas the original had seemingly endlessly deep blacks.

Top Bottom