• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

I love how people do not even bother to try and confirm anything and just run and jump to conclusions based off of a GAMESTOP call.
SO Gamestop sucks for anything and everything else, but for breaking news they are all of the sudden taken as scripture?

While Stump had a fair point that it would be weird for a U.S. company to get first wind of a Japanese game's cancellation, Gamestop's inventory system has certainly clued us in to game announcements / release dates / launch prices before.

I'm about 50/50 now that this is either a total screw-up on GS's part or Sony isn't ready to let the cat out of the bag yet.

How do they not release this game, especially with the success of the team ico HD reissues?

imo this is just gamestop doing some creative bookkeeping at the end of the year.

Satchel

Banned
I know you guys are trying to stay positive, but in all likelyhood, it's cancelled, at least on PS3 and Sony are clearly stalling on the announcement.

I doubt Gamestop woudl just randomly do this, and to balance out their bottom line of all things. You think other people haven't pre-ordered games a year or more in advance?

They wouldn't make the call if it wasn't true. I don't think.

Strike

I am not gonna jump on conclusions, but I feel the production has changed to another platform. Be it next-gen or multi-platform I do not know.

Sony owned property. Or maybe you mean Vita or PS4, but that's pretty unlikely. Team ICO is a very small studio which is part of the reason it has taken so long to develop.

cajunator

Banned
I love how people do not even bother to try and confirm anything and just run and jump to conclusions based off of a GAMESTOP call.
SO Gamestop sucks for anything and everything else, but for breaking news they are all of the sudden taken as scripture?

I don't care either way. This wasn't a must have sort of game for me.
All I know is that I had a preorder for a game, and now it's cancelled.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
While Stump had a fair point that it would be weird for a U.S. company to get first wind of a Japanese game's cancellation, Gamestop's inventory system has certainly clued us in to game announcements / release dates / launch prices before.

I'm about 50/50 now that this is either a total screw-up on GS's part or Sony isn't ready to let the cat out of the bag yet.
This is still a mixed bowl

linko9

Well that's a relief. Don't see how PSN release would help this game. They'd make much more money on a disc release, especially in the Japanese market.

Instro

you guys sure give Kotaku a lot of shit, but they have come through with some pretty good info lately. It's not like they are IGN where they make up tabloid style headlines just for some clicks.

But thats exactly what they do...constantly.

AAK

I don't believe for a second Sony would cancel Team Ico's third game this far into development.

Why not, it's probably got another 2-3 years left in development considering all the management reshuffling, team morale, among other factors. The game has never been in a position to be playable to the public either. I think it's just safe to pull the plug and have all the talented programmers and designers at Team ICO work on something more productive.

I don't have much faith in this game to be all that good anymore to be honest. Ueda's vision just probably wasn't feasible from a production standpoint.

I'm sorry but I had to post this:

tumblr_lu5qrongBX1qe4ivm.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
For what it's worth even if the game somehow got released on schedule; it seems more believable and rational to me, that the game actually got cancelled, considering how little we know about the game, and the phone call from gamestop lulz.

Davedough

I think PSN and Vita would be a bad move. The game, outside of niche places like GAF doesn't have a huge dominant appeal like Dudebro II would. They know that the units wouldn't sell as well as other "normal" type games.

PSN would go unseen by the masses because there's piss poor advertising for new content on PSN. Vita, while it is an impressive handheld would be a step backwards in the development of the game.

PS4? Maybe, but that's still pretty far off.

I'd like to believe that Sony tweet, but Sony is pretty shitty about lying to its fan base.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really don't think they would move this to PS4 considering Ueda doesn't even work for the company anymore and they've spent gazillions of dollars over the years just getting to this point.

Beth Cyra

Another semi-idiotic theory to add to the panic:

What if this just means the US release is cancelled?

Already been brought up, and not really idiotic.

Sony this gen alone has decided to leave both First and Third party games in Japan. Beyond that, it's not like Last Guardian will be a huge seller.

FStop7

Banned
If it is canceled I hope the storyline is leaked. I had a bet with someone about who dies at the end - the boy or the guardian.

2 games, 1 that could be considered high quality in a 6 year gen. Nice output.

Those two titles have sold 12.6m combined. I'm pretty sure that Sony is quite happy with that. Its DLC is also selling extremely sell (1 million pieces in the first two weeks of its release).

Fact is that SCEJ really hasn't been a failure this gen. They were just largely focused on the PSP while Sony's western studios were focused on the PS3.

jcm

Most of Sony's failed projects this generation have been from western studios. A SCEJ studio is responsible for their two best selling games.

Polyphony's sold a lot of software, but that doesn't mean SCEJ overall hasn't been a clusterfuck. And I'm not sure I'd point to GT5/P as a project management success story.

you guys sure give Kotaku a lot of shit, but they have come through with some pretty good info lately. It's not like they are IGN where they make up tabloid style headlines just for some clicks.

I agree. Where else can I read about the history of anime hair? Or something...

FStop7

Banned
They both do and the boy is resurrected as the next guardian cat-bird thing.

That's pretty much what I was betting - My wager was that neither dies or that they're resurrected and become one in some traditional Japanese earth spirit thing. My friend straight up bet that one or both of them would die and stay dead.

Concept17

How long has this been in development? What kind of horrible mismanagement would have caused this? Also, at the very least, couldn't the project be moved to another developer? Surely its far enough along to make completing it worthwhile?

SkylineRKR

I think PSN and Vita would be a bad move. The game, outside of niche places like GAF doesn't have a huge dominant appeal like Dudebro II would. They know that the units wouldn't sell as well as other "normal" type games.

PSN would go unseen by the masses because there's piss poor advertising for new content on PSN. Vita, while it is an impressive handheld would be a step backwards in the development of the game.

PS4? Maybe, but that's still pretty far off.

I'd like to believe that Sony tweet, but Sony is pretty shitty about lying to its fan base.

I don't think Ps4 is all that much further from the actual release of TLG. I expect TLG to be released in 2013 if its still in development, and I am not surprised if Sony announces a Ps4 for late 2013 somewhere next year. But TLG not a system seller so it wouldn't make sense to push this ongoing project to a newly released system.

Its likely just a Ps3 release, or a cancel.

Top Bottom