• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers 2009 GOTY awards.

While I think Modern Warfare 2 is a superb game, it shouldn't have won every console and PC best of category. They should have the rule EGM had back in the day where game of the year could not win a "best of a console" award. It was fair, once we knew what the game of the year we understood why they preferred that game over every other. This just seems sloppy.

Firestorm

Rebel Leader said:
Yea. We are trying to ponder with what's going on.

also, I thought the VGA's awards were decided on the votes?
That's what they said. But it's obvious it wasn't. Viewers Votes don't work in a way where everybody gets an award. The game that sold the most (read: most popular) will usually take it all. When Uncharted 2 (600k sales) beats Modern Warfare 2 (6 million on consoles, likely another 1 - 2 million on PCs), then voting was not taken into account.

Ashes

Banned
Dragon age didn't get into my top ten, but if it won game of the year for pc, it would have made more sense to me... mw2 on pc was nothing special to me.. even though I double dipped.

There's no way MW2 should win GOTY with the absurd amount of glitching in multiplayer combined with the laughably slow response time by Infinity Ward.

admittedly i haven't played much of MW2's multiplayer, but i recently got to play the SP on my family's new 360 and uh, wow. COD4's campaign may have had some flaws, but it had some good moments. MW2's campaign takes the worst aspects of COD single-player (level design that manages to be both confusing and linear, enemy swarms, constant deaths from unseen enemies), cranks them up another notch, and then intersperses them with pretty "segments" and a dumb story built on "shocking moments."

Takedown should win an award for "Worst Game Level of the Generation."

nilbog21

Banned
Ya, i loved MW2, but it should not have won GOTY. But honestly, who else could you give it to you? Uncharted 2? :/

Anyone who;s anyone knows the real GOTY is
streetfighter4

JWong

Banned
I remember the bonus round with that guy, whom I don't want to remember, had cold reception when talking about Uncharted 2.

The usual "it doesn't do anything new". Then we look at MW2 and wonder what new features it does.

NIN90

JWong said:
I remember the bonus round with that guy, whom I don't want to remember, had cold reception when talking about Uncharted 2.

The usual "it doesn't do anything new". Then we look at MW2 and wonder what new features it does.

Weed in your signature, mang.

Virro

EmCeeGramr said:

Which level was Takedown? Unless I'm forgetting something I really can't think of a worse level in MW2 than Favela.

Swag

I knew I shouldn't have entered this thread, really dissappointed in GOTY choice. But seeing as how it's GT I'm not really surprised.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"You cannot be a one trick pony. Or depend on the tried and true. You must buck the trend, push the envelope..."

Winner! Modern Warfare 2!

o9ljqe.gif

Hawk269

As a whole, I do not think that MW2 should be even nominated in GOTY categories. Yeah, it is one of the better MP games, but the SP mode was a joke story wise and length. I think many sites are focusing just on the MP portion of the game and not taking into account the SP mode of the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
chandoog said:
give MW2 a break .. it's a good game.

No. Far from it. It's a passable experince, despite the bullshit. But nowhere near Game of the Year.

I can understand Demon's Souls getting GotY from Gamespot (despite not thinking that's GotY either), but MW2... seriously? With all the bugs? The terrible singleplayer? No.

Galvanise_ said:
I'm genuinely interested in how they defend their choice. There wasn't much explanation in the video, so hopefully they can flesh it out more.

My guess is they'll discuss how they enjoyed playing MW2 more than any other game this year.

That's a defensible position.

Virro

PopcornMegaphone said:
My guess is they'll discuss how they enjoyed playing MW2 more than any other game this year.

That's a defensible position.

None of that logical crazy talk!

Worst game of the year, am i rite?

Stepping back from their overall GOTY for a second... I just noticed their Wii GOTY nominations were pretty weird. NSMB Wii wins, of course, MadWorld is nominated, okay... but then the other nominees are Rock Band Beatles, DJ Hero, and Modern Warfare Reflex. I mean, what?

graywolf323 said:
so Uncharted 2 can't win since it's the same old same old yet they then give it to MW2? :lol

30j5nis.gif

Pretty much :lol

At least Uncharted 2 was an improvement in pretty much every way.

MW2 was a downgrade in almost every single way. Worse SP, worse, unbalanced, zany ass multiplayer. MW2 is the Gears of War 2 of this year (in terms of MP, at least, to Gears of War 2's credit it had a great single player campaign unlike MW2).

DMeisterJ

Banned
Enosh said:
it IS addictive
Agreed (I'm close to 4 days in) but the insane amount of problems with it does negate that a bunch. And they seemingly did not address that at all... Everything that is addictive isn't good. :/

I didn't view all the platform-specific awards, but did it really win PS3/360/PC GOTY too?

Atilac

DMeisterJ said:
Agreed (I'm close to 4 days in) but the insane amount of problems with it does negate that a bunch. And they seemingly did not address that at all... Everything that is addictive isn't good. :/

I didn't view all the platform-specific awards, but did it really win PS3/360/PC GOTY too?
It was a clean sweep for mw2

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
admittedly i haven't played much of MW2's multiplayer, but i recently got to play the SP on my family's new 360 and uh, wow. COD4's campaign may have had some flaws, but it had some good moments. MW2's campaign takes the worst aspects of COD single-player (level design that manages to be both confusing and linear, enemy swarms, constant deaths from unseen enemies), cranks them up another notch, and then intersperses them with pretty "segments" and a dumb story built on "shocking moments."

I can't believe this level actually made it into the game. It's unbelievably awful, IW should be embarrassed.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Virro said:
Which level was Takedown? Unless I'm forgetting something I really can't think of a worse level in MW2 than Favela.

That's takedown. Favela is the MP version of it.

Rez said:
I can't believe this level actually made it into the game. It's unbelievably awful, IW should be embarrassed.

MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER, MEAT IS DOWN I REPEAT MEAT IS DOWN, ROYCE GIVE ME A SITREP OVER,

J-Rzez

NeoUltima said:
Honestly what I felt was most sad was in the 'best single player' category. UC2 won, but they said MW2 was hot on its heels. How they think MW2 has the second best single player of the year is fucking ridiculous.

I think it's more of an insult lobbied at Uncharted 2 than anything. They have to know MW2's SP was rubbish. It certainly didn't push any boundaries or anything of the such. They added snowmobile chases, and a boat chase. I guess that's pushing the boundaries. Cheap respawning enemies: Check.

Uncharted 2 SP blows MW2 away, and basically everything else. Nothing came close to it this year. Not A.Creed 2, not Infamous, not KZ2, and not Batman. They were all great, but U2 was far beyond all of that in quality.

I'm just shocked the free ride MW2 is getting during this time with the crippling flaws, glitches, and imbalances in it's MP as well. How is something like that ignored? I'm sure they'll change their tune for the next big online game which of course is surprise surprise, MAG. This isn't just some backlash that popular games get for being popular either, as there is serious problems with the game.

GT's just fishing for hits from the masses that follow CoD's, and grab some more advertising dollars.

QuickSilverD said:
A lot of GT hate in this thread. Just out of curiosity, which sites have given MW2 GOTY this year?

Of the big ones, I think GameSpy is it.

GameSpy, GT: MW2
X-Play, Eurogamer: Uncharted 2
GamesSpot: Demon's Souls
GamePro: Ass Creed II
GamesRadar: Batman: AA

RedRedSuit said:
Of the big ones, I think GameSpy is it.

GameSpy, GT: MW2
X-Play, Eurogamer: Uncharted 2
GamesSpot: Demon's Souls
GamePro: Ass Creed II
GamesRadar: Batman: AA
Heh, pretty wide spread. I wonder how long it will be before we see the inevitable "Game of the Year Editions".

chandoog said:
Good God GAF .. this is embarrassing :(

give MW2 a break .. it's a good game.
This. Its a great fucking game actually. Don't know what all the seething is all about, besides MW2 being a nice juicy target because of its insane sales. It may not be your favorite game, but it is for a whole hell of a lot of people who enjoy playing it every day.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
MW2 over Uncharted 2 is absurd. Absurd. I lose a lot of respect for any publication that makes that judgment. Is that fair? No. However, I feel strongly that Uncharted 2 is GOTY. I don't see anything that did as much for Video Games as Uncharted 2 did, and it pushed boundaries, was the cream of the crop, and nothing came close to it this year. That's my opinion.

MrDoctor

EmCeeGramr said:
Stepping back from their overall GOTY for a second... I just noticed their Wii GOTY nominations were pretty weird. NSMB Wii wins, of course, MadWorld is nominated, okay... but then the other nominees are Rock Band Beatles, DJ Hero, and Modern Warfare Reflex. I mean, what?

It's better than what they did for the handhelds.

I can't believe that dawn of war 2 didn't get even a single nomination for best PC game. It's a damn shame considering how good the game is and how much support relic has given it post patch.

I can't wait to hear what kind of response shane satterfield is going to give on the next episode of invisible walls.

J-Rzez said:
I think it's more of an insult lobbied at Uncharted 2 than anything. They have to know MW2's SP was rubbish. It certainly didn't push any boundaries or anything of the such. They added snowmobile chases, and a boat chase. I guess that's pushing the boundaries. Cheap respawning enemies: Check.

Uncharted 2 SP blows MW2 away, and basically everything else. Nothing came close to it this year. Not A.Creed 2, not Infamous, not KZ2, and not Batman. They were all great, but U2 was far beyond all of that in quality.

I'm just shocked the free ride MW2 is getting during this time with the crippling flaws, glitches, and imbalances in it's MP as well. How is something like that ignored? I'm sure they'll change their tune for the next big online game which of course is surprise surprise, MAG. This isn't just some backlash that popular games get for being popular either, as there is serious problems with the game.

GT's just fishing for hits from the masses that follow CoD's, and grab some more advertising dollars.

This post is hilarious.

GhaleonQ

I still find it weird that there are "GameTrailers fans." I hear praise regarding their reviews and features regularly. I can appreciate the production, but the content itself is C-tier. The Wii and handheld lists just strike me as nonsense, which is worse, I think, than incompetence. Ugh.

jett

D-Member
To be honest after the VGAs I almost thought GT wouldn't give GOTY to MW2...but there it is...on all three platforms though? :lol

jett said:
To be honest after the VGAs I almost thought GT wouldn't give GOTY to MW2...but there it is...on all three platforms though? :lol
GT must be disappointed that Uncharted 2 got GOTY in the VGA so they decided to give it 3 platform awards and a GOTY :lol

Raziel

EmCeeGramr said:

i agree completely. wait till you get to all the "defend this position" objectives while take you down endless waves of enemies.

Denzar

NullPointer said:
This. Its a great fucking game actually. Don't know what all the seething is all about, besides MW2 being a nice juicy target because of its insane sales. It may not be your favorite game, but it is for a whole hell of a lot of people who enjoy playing it every day.
The fact that MW2 does not surprise me, and yes it's a damn good game. In the end it is GT's opninion.

What bothers me is that it won best PS3, 360 and PC and then game of the year. Yes, thats logic, but then this was said:

"To become a nominee, you cannot be a one-trick pony: glossy on the outside but ugly on the inside, or reliant upon the tried-and-true. The mold must be broken, the envelope must be pushed."

MW2 just used what was established in its predecessor. It did not break the mold, it did not push the envelope (unless horribly shitty and confusing storytelling is pushing the envelope) and it is deffy reliant on the tride and true.

This also counts for some other nominees and it makes GT come across as inconsistent hacks. As much as I love their Invisible Walls podcast, their reviews, etc are extremely inconsistent.

I don't usually care about these GOTY awards, but awarding best PC game to MW2 is an insult. What a nice message to send to developers GT. Infinity Ward deserve no props for that clusterfuck.

Top Bottom