• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Best of E3 2010 Awards

Best 3rd Person Shooter
Gears of War 3
Kane and Lynch 2
Mafia 2
Spec Ops
Vanquish

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-third-best-of-e3/701351

Best Music Game
Child of Eden
Dance Central
DJ Hero 2
Guitar Hero
Rock Band 3

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-music-best-of-e3/701345

Best Fighting Game
Deadliest Warrior
MvC3
EA MMA
Mortal Kombat
Smackdown 2011

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-fighting-best-of-e3/701343

Best Software Lineup
PC
PS3
DS
Wii

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-software-best-of-e3/701349

Best Trailer
Assassin's Creed
MGS Rising
Portal 2
SW Unleashed 2
SW ToR

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-trailer-best-of-e3/701346

StuBurns

Banned
Some fucking fail in there.
Gears over Vanquish
RB3 over Child of Eden
MK over MvC3
Lame.

PS3 does have the best line up, not sure I care about the trailers, probably Rising though.

Karram

StuBurns said:
Some fucking fail in there.
Gears over Vanquish
Even though Vanquish looks awesome the Gears 3 level they showed and beast mode were better than anything I have seen from Vanquish. Also I think they should make only one award for First and third person shooters.

Have there been any sites that has given MvC3 the fighter of the show award over MK? All the sites I can think of have given the nod to MK.

hxa155

SolidSnakex said:
Have there been any sites that has given MvC3 the fighter of the show award over MK? All the sites I can think of have given the nod to MK.

Yeah, most sites gave the award to MK. I didn't play either game, but that's bullshit. We'll see what's the better fighter come 2011.

Karram said:
Even though Vanquish looks awesome the Gears 3 level they showed and beast mode were better than anything I have seen from Vanquish. Also I think they should make only one award for First and third person shooters.

?

Cerberus

SolidSnakex said:

MvC3 won Best Fighting Game from IGN, 1UP, and G4.

Marvel is up there with Portal 2 as my favorite game of E3, but I think MK looks pretty good too. The fatalities are glorious.

hxa155 said:
Yeah, most sites gave the award to MK. I didn't play either game, but that's bullshit. We'll see what's the better fighter come 2011.

They're both coming out in the same quarter too right? I wish more fighting games had a tag battle mode. Spring 2011 is gonna be awesome.

AniHawk

Vanquish was fucking badass to play and so was MvC3.

I can't imagine any type of reboot of MK being better than MVC3 considering it'd still be a reboot of MK.

Don't understand why GT5 hasn't even been nominated for best trailer. Not just at GT but other awards as well...

Easily my fav trailer out of E3. Can't stop watching it.

The M.O.B

Lineup award was weird, They mention exclusives but show a bunch of multi-plat games. Would have been better to do it by Company imo.

Metalmurphy said:
Don't understand why GT5 hasn't even been nominated for best trailer. Not just at GT but other awards as well...

Easily my fav trailer out of E3. Can't stop watching it.

You apparently need to make a CG trailer to impress most sites.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cars are an on or off thing in this space. You're either into or you're not.

We look at that trailer and yawn. Oh hey, looks like cars. Just like real life. Cool graphix.

jett

D-Member
MGS:Rising winning for best trailer shows what a shit selection there has been this year(with the exception of GT5 - FAIL GT, FAIL). That trailer was nothing. Raiden cutting a robot in half and 10 seconds of suspicious gameplay footage.

SolidSnakex said:

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Then again I don't really like Capcom's Vs games.

Andrex said:
I don't know how Zelda could be disappointing since A) We knew nothing about it beforehand so there really wasn't anything to look forward to in the first place, and B) it worked.

Was the demo disappointing? Definitely. The game though? Nah.
Think back to the trailer of The Wind Waker. There was a HUGE reaction for that game. Mostly negative, but it shook up the gaming community.

Twilight Princess's reveal was huge, but in a postive way. People were literally screaming and crying with excitement! Regardless of how the game turned out, the trailer left a massive impact. It even got me back into gaming after I quit for nearly 6 months.

Then there was Skyward Sword's reveal... There was no wow factor. The trailer wasn't exciting, and then the demo with Miyamoto was a complete failure. Afterwards, SS got postive impressions from its demo, but it did not leave a huge impact like the previous 2 console Zeldas. It pretty much played how people expected, and didn't really go beyond.

I completely agree that SS's E3 showing was a disappointment. That's not to say that the game won't end up being great; it's just that the reveal and E3 showing wasn't nothing spectacular compared to previous Zelda reveals.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, Rising's win is bizarre. wasn't there about five seconds total of actual footage?

Portal 2's smoked the competition this year.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
yeah, Rising's win is bizarre. wasn't there about five seconds total of actual footage?

Portal 2's smoked the competition this year.
Rising's trailer has about thirty seconds of gameplay.

Portal 2's on the other hand, has about two seconds.

Deus Ex's trailer was notably better than both I'd say. The Third Birthday's was great too.

jett

D-Member
KeeSomething said:
Think back to the trailer of The Wind Waker. There was a HUGE reaction for that game. Mostly negative, but it shook up the gaming community.

Twilight Princess's reveal was huge, but in a postive way. People were literally screaming and crying with excitement! Regardless of how the game turned out, the trailer left a massive impact. It even got me back into gaming after I quit for nearly 6 months.

Then there was Skyward Sword's reveal... There was no wow factor. The trailer wasn't exciting, and then the demo with Miyamoto was a complete failure. Afterwards, SS got postive impressions from its demo, but it did not leave a huge impact like the previous 2 console Zeldas. It pretty much played how people expected, and didn't really go beyond.

I completely agree that SS's E3 showing was a disappointment. That's not to say that the game won't end up being great; it's just that the reveal and E3 showing wasn't nothing spectacular compared to previous Zelda reveals.

The problem I guess with Skyward Sword is that it all feels too familiar, betraying Aonuma's comments. Well that and the demo seemed more like a technical demo for the waggling controls.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Rising's trailer has about thirty seconds of gameplay.

Portal 2's on the other hand, has about two seconds.

Deus Ex's trailer was notably better than both I'd say. The Third Birthday's was great too.
I guess it had to do with how the trailers were cut. Portal 2's was a very current, interesting cut showing different areas all rendered in the awesome new Source Engine with awesome use of VA and soundtrack, whereas Rising was just a tacky bit of CG pieced together with some lame audio cues, dated title cards and short, clunky edits of gameplay.

Portal 2's trailer is as fine a trailer as there is today, Rising belongs somewhere in the early 2000s.

/trailer geek

J-Rzez

There it is again, that damn song used in that one GT5 trailer. Such an incredible song. Sorry if I missed info on it, but it's still an unnamed song correct? I need to hear and own the full version of it.

I agree with the software line up. Nintendo had a shocking incredibly strong line up, but it still couldn't surpass Sony's. They owe their studios working for them, it's what kept them in the game this gen for sure. And, this once again shows the importance of having such a large stable. Maybe MS will copy it's competitors here for next gen, as their machine's offerings is incredibly slim at the moment.

jett

D-Member
J-Rzez said:
There it is again, that damn song used in that one GT5 trailer. Such an incredible song. Sorry if I missed info on it, but it's still an unnamed song correct? I need to hear and own the full version of it.

It's a track made specifically for the game, so you'll have to wait until it is out.

And yep Sony's first party output this gen is unbelievable.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
I guess it had to do with how the trailers were cut. Portal 2's was a very current, interesting cut showing different areas all rendered in the awesome new Source Engine with awesome use of VA and soundtrack, whereas Rising was just a tacky bit of CG pieced together with some lame audio cues, dated title cards and short, clunky edits of gameplay.

Portal 2's trailer is as fine a trailer as there is today, Rising belongs somewhere in the early 2000s.

/trailer geek
Rising is all in-engine.

I don't disagree Portal 2 was a far better trailer, I was just taking issue with what appeared to be your reasoning for dismissing one entry before praising another despite it being a worse culprit of that issue.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Rising is all in-engine.

I don't disagree Portal 2 was a far better trailer, I was just taking issue with what appeared to be your reasoning for dismissing one entry before praising another despite it being a worse culprit of that issue.
I guess it was all engine? It's like when I see a cutscene in a MGS game or a DMC where the main character does heaps of stylish flips and cool moves, only to be seriously disappointed the second the game starts. For all intents and purposes, it might as well have been pre-rendered. Portal's trailer simply showed areas that you'll have full-access to in, just with a fancy sweeping cam.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say is that Portal 2's trailer immediately invoked the 'I can see myself playing this and man does it look awesome' whereas Rising left me feeling like I would have felt after watching a few seconds, out-of-context, of an anime. In that regard, Portal's was way more successful to me. All game trailers should strive for that feeling, I believe. They shouldn't just be movie trailers. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
I guess it was all engine? It's like when I see a cutscene in a MGS game or a DMC where the main character does heaps of stylish flips and cool moves, only to be seriously disappointed the second the game starts. For all intents and purposes, it might as well have been pre-rendered. Portal's trailer simply showed areas that you'll have full-access to in, just with a fancy sweeping cam.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say is that Portal 2's trailer immediately invoked the 'I can see myself playing this and man does it look awesome' whereas Rising left me feeling like I would have felt after watching a few seconds, out-of-context, of an anime. In that regard, Portal's was way more successful to me. All game trailers should strive for that feeling, I believe. They shouldn't just be movie trailers. :)
I agree Portal's trailer did it far better, but I don't really agree it's all that different. All we saw from Rising that didn't look to be player controlled was him jumping down from a hidden position for an easy kill (which has been confirmed as the kind of thing the player will be doing) and the kill itself, which was a few slices (the slicing gameplay was show about ten seconds later, so players will do that too), and rip out his spine, which the player will also have to do.

Where as the Portal 2 trailer showed what I imagine is the opening movie of Glados restoring areas ready for more testing, then maybe two seconds of falling and shooting a portal or two.

I think the Portal 2 trailer was much better, but in terms of one being more honest to the game itself, I'd say Rising was certainly that.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
:lol :lol @ Gametrailers troll baiting. I 100% agree with Kirby winning for looking the best, but when you put it alongside the most technically ridiculous games like that, by itself, you know they were baiting. At least throw in LBP2 or something.

Separate categories for art direction and technical proficiency? I don't really like the idea, but it might quell the outrage.

fernoca

Glad with Mortal Kombat. :)
One thing to remember is that prior to E3, noone knew anything about the game except the trailer that was released a few days prior, which many thought looked like the previous game... (But were proven wrong at E3 ;D)..so it had the element of surprise.

Marvel vs Capcom 3; was revealed a few months prior..so it was a matter of just playing it and the surprise relied more on the new characters they were going to reveal.

Getting both anyway, both look just awesome.

Denzar

hxa155 said:
PS3 for best line-up :D
Yeah, and I agree!

Nintendo comes close, but honestly I am not looking forward to Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus or Zelda...

And Microsoft, well... for someone that isn't interested in Kinect, those known quantities (Halo & Gears), great as they might be, just don't cut it compared to Nintendo & Sony.

StuBurns said:
I agree Portal's trailer did it far better, but I don't really agree it's all that different. All we saw from Rising that didn't look to be player controlled was him jumping down from a hidden position for an easy kill (which has been confirmed as the kind of thing the player will be doing) and the kill itself, which was a few slices (the slicing gameplay was show about ten seconds later, so players will do that too), and rip out his spine, which the player will also have to do.

Where as the Portal 2 trailer showed what I imagine is the opening movie of Glados restoring areas ready for more testing, then maybe two seconds of falling and shooting a portal or two.

I think the Portal 2 trailer was much better, but in terms of one being more honest to the game itself, I'd say Rising was certainly that.
There's also an element of mystery in that it's a slight reveal of gameplay mechanics with blade cutting. Portals kind of a known quantity with new features.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SolidSnakex said:
From the "Most Disappointing" video

"Link's 1:1 swordplay was the most impressive example of motion control at the show. But we failed to see any real spark or innovation."

This is how we ended up with the crapfests Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I don't want innovation. I want classic Zelda.

AniHawk

Plinko said:

Well NBA Jam was pretty fucking awesome and I never "got" Madden, so agreed there, but the PS3 had a bunch of games (GT5, KZ3, Sly Collection, LBP2, Socom 4, Twisted Metal 6, and then all the Move games). Nintendo, as a company, probably had the most, but they were more spread out across all 3 systems.

Best PC Game
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Portal 2
Rage
Spec Ops
Star Wars: The Old Republic

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-pc-best-of-e3/701400

Best 360 Game
Gears of War 3
Halo Reach
Portal 2
Rage

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-xbox-best-of-e3/701404

Best Wii Game
Epic Mickey
DKCR
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Zelda
Metroid

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-wii-best-of-e3/701402

Best PS3 Game
Assassin's Cred: Brotherhood
Killzone 3
LBP2
Portal 2
Rage

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-playstation-best-of-e3/701406

Game of Show
Gears of War 3
Metroid
Portal 2
Rage

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/game-of-best-of-e3/701407

Cerberus

GameTrailers on Rage: "We can find fault with just about every other nominee, but this one."

I can't find the faults in Portal 2. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
gamesite gives arbitrary fictitious awards to un-released game and this thread has 400 posts?

uh, was Civ 5 not playable?

also, I'm happy to hear Metroid Other M is good because videos aren't exactly getting me excited. I'm buying it on faith alone at this point and I hope it pays off.

DMeisterJ said:
WTF is a Rage?

Are people really excited for that game? :/

it's the tech

I'm sure there is a lot more to it, but you always just hear people gushing about how good it looks.

It is another game that I'll have blind faith in even though I don't fully understand the praise.

Top Bottom