• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers' Heavenly Sword Preview

vpance

I'd say most of the tearing was because of the video encode. It's tearing in strange places like cutscenes with just Nariko's face.

xir said:
Took the guy who did the preview ~2 hours to do chapter 2. Got to think the game gets harder, 6 chapters.... deaths, I'm speculating here, but I'm thinking 10-15.

...man this makes me so excited with girlie glee (^__^)

....and damn you gametrailers for being so amazingly awesome!

Mmmkay

I like how GameTrailers used boxart which is watermarked by PS3only.nl:
heavenly.jpg

http://ps3only.nl/game.php?gid=160&show=all

On that note, don't recall seeing this before:
screenshot.jpg

Mmmkay

No_Style said:
I must be blind because I am not seeing what you are. :(
The logo which is in the bottom right hand corner is PS3Only's watermark, nothing to do with Sony or Ninja Theory.

Yixian

Banned
Fix the god damn framerate. I don't care what you have to take away from the graphics, fix the freaking framerate.

No_Style

Mmmkay said:
The logo which is in the bottom right hand corner is PS3Only's watermark, nothing to do with Sony or Ninja Theory.

Ah. Now I see. I was trying to locate that logo from your link and no dice.

le.phat

No_Style said:
Seemingly simple A.I. - "Let us take turns slashing our swords at her"

after playing the demo, i can't attest to that "flaw". The AI constantly tries to circle you, and won't let you flock them to one side. they are fairly aggressive, and will attack simultaneaously. Besides, AI patterns are heavily dependend on game setting.

roxya

I think the AI in these kinda games are supposed to be at least a little scared of getting their faces sliced off if they run in too fast. I'm assuming they're not completely suicidal :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AAK said:
Probably the same guy who leaked that Lair got 9 in Edge!

*edit* actually, it's someone from GameFAQs. Who knows it's true, but here's the summary that he provided:

Plusses and Minus
+++++ The perfect action game in every way and quite possibly the most cinematic game ever created

- - - - - - Some might call it short.... I would disagree.

He does go on about how the fighting system is great and i quote "If you posses mad fighting skills prepare to be spoiled like Paris Hilton at her sweet sixteen"

Basically it comes down to the fact that it sound like a well put together game that is full of action and alot of cool moments and seems really cinematic. He also states that it draws no comparison with Dynasty Warriors or NInety nine nights.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kenta said:
Someone on SA confirmed it as well

Not that it means anything
Welp, I think even Play shows some restraint for giving out tens, no? They gave 10 to Gears and both Halo games for example, I dunno what else.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Marconelly said:
Welp, I think even Play shows some restraint for giving out tens, no? They gave 10 to Gears and both Halo games for example, I dunno what else.
I hear they're just going to start awarding 11s and 12s next year

Demigod Mac

Ever try sparring someone 2v1, 3v1, etc. in martial arts? It's much harder than you would think. You find yourself moving around trying to find an opening a LOT, while not actually striking. In Heavenly Sword's case, an adversary as dangerous as Nariko would merit extreme caution on the enemy's part, hence the "turns" - it's actually pretty accurate.

AAK

Some unknown site posted an early review of heavenly sword. Take whatever you want from it.

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/08/12/heavenly-sword-review-part-1-ps3/

You’d think a game that starts at the end of the story would be a little predictable and boring right? Well you’re wrong shame on you. Heavenly Sword has a story that by its self is not that spectacular and most of the game is played in the past (before the opening scene) yet the way that the story is told and the richness of the character development left me in awe, in fact it is made so well that the cut-scenes (which I usually loath) are so great that I wanted more and more of them, it was better than most movies, it draws you in and makes you love even the villainous tyrants that you are fighting against. Great graphics, grotesque monsters, bewbs and more equate to an A+++ title for the PS3. If you own a PS3 it is a happy day for you. If you don’t you might want to check this out

XSamu

Banned
karasu said:
I hate this complaint. If they all swing their swords at her at once and she moves they'll just end up stabbing each other. @_@
Never played Ninja Gaiden have you?

Anyway, it looks absolutely amazing, but gameplay wise..... not so sure thb.

To be honest I really hate the fact that you can control the course of everything you throw/shoot. It just doesn't make any sense and it's just stupid.

XSamu said:
Never played Ninja Gaiden have you?

Anyway, it looks absolutely amazing, but gameplay wise..... not so sure thb.

To be honest I really hate the fact that you can control the course of everything you throw/shoot. It just doesn't make any sense and it's just stupid.
their called new gameplay elements intended to split up the pacing and also be fun. if you've played the demo you'd know just how fun it is guiding a sword straight into some dudes head lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
justjohn said:
i look forward to bungie's review of halo 3
To be fair, this would be more like Official Magazine reviewing the game, no?

AAK said:
Maybe he was telling the truth after all:
Yeah, he probably was. I saw it confirmed at few other places, but never with an actual scan. Argh, either way, I can't damn wait for this game. Be released already!\

Also, where does this complaint that they take turns attacking comes from? I've played demo a few times only, as to not spoil the full game experience, but I could swear that while I was on that first pillar, there would be times a few of them would swing swords at me in a very rapid succession.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
This game is so completely up my alley, I'm really excited for it. Everything about this game is top notch. I prefer the fighting mechanics over God of War but a far margin. I've always liked counters and this game has some of the best ones.

September 12th can't come soon enough. But until then, Bioshock will keep me plenty happy! And I'll probably get Stranglehold as well.

Thunderbear

dralla said:
adventure gaming? HS is the exact opposite of adventure.

Have to love posts like this, you should say "they haven't shown much adventure, where's the adventure parts?" instead you claim to know the game without having played it.

According to the developers, there's plenty of exploring in the game. I hope it's true but don't matter a great deal to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Defuser said:
Shane will say anything good as long it's related to Sony/Nintendo.
OK, where did he (dralla) say that Shane said anything good about the game in the first place. That comment about the game being an opposite of adventure, actually sounded kinda on the negative side to me, but you're acting like he should be pre-discredited no matter what.

Thunderbear

dralla said:
Shane played through it for review, I think I'll take his word for it.

Where did Shane say it's not an adventure game?

And what's a definition of an adventure anyway? Point and click?

I'd call God of War a fighting adventure game. With the story etc, this seems very much like an adventure to me. But anyway it's kind of pointless what you call it, which is why I replied to your comment because it was an odd thing for you to jump on in a what appeared to me a negative way.

Speevy

Banned
Adventure games are those in which you interact with your environment, meet other characters, solve puzzles, and otherwise act in the pursuit of something not available to you at the beginning (an item, the solution to a mystery, world peace, a cure, inner truth, revenge, whatever)

When you add the forced killing to this, it becomes an action/adventure game.

For that reason you won't find but a few console games that could be called adventure titles.

ICO is the closest thing to an adventure that I've played from Sony.

Thunderbear

Speevy said:
Adventure games are those in which you interact with your environment, meet other characters, solve puzzles, and otherwise act in the pursuit of something not available to you at the beginning (an item, the solution to a mystery, world peace, a cure, inner truth, revenge, whatever)

When you add the forced killing to this, it becomes an action/adventure game.

For that reason you won't find but a few console games that could be called adventure titles.

ICO is the closest thing to an adventure that I've played from Sony.

So just out of curiosity, does either Heavenly Sword or God of War fit into this definition?

Speevy

Banned
Thunderbear said:
So just out of curiosity, does either Heavenly Sword or God of War fit into this definition?

Action/Adventure

You could even call them Fighting/Action or Fighting/Adventure because you're not simply killing enemies because they're after you. You kill them because they exist, and you kill them with style.

The game isn't an adventure game just for the fact that you aren't going out on an adventure, it is a bitter tale of revenge, where you are going out to exterminate everyone who opposes you

arias

Banned
Speevy said:
Action/Adventure

You could even call them Fighting/Action or Fighting/Adventure because you're not simply killing enemies because they're after you. You kill them because they exist, and you kill them with style.

So Metal Gear Solid is an adventure game?

Top Bottom