• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top Ten Games in 2016 That Might Suck

I'm sure there are some games out there that have a far higher chance, if not guaranteed, to be terrible. More 'Top Ten AAA Games in 2016 That Might Suck'.

Right now, The Division looks solid outside of some screen tearing and spongy bosses. Their point of the game hitting the notes only one or two times in what they've seen fails to mention how much they've actually seen to bring context into it. If its one missions worth, that isn't too worrisome given the type of game it is. If it's however two or more missions...that would be concerning at the least. Unfortunately, typical fantasy/sci-fi locations will generally be more interesting than real world cities, no matter how overplayed those can be themselves. The game will really suffer if the post game content is bare-bones.

Zero Dawn or whatever that Guerrilla Games title is called, however great that showing was, could have made it here after the track record from the studio recently. Not sure if it could bump off any of these though.

I'm also rather optimistic of Quantum Break and No Man's Sky turning out well, even if the latter might disappoint due to people running wild with their imagination.

Overall, a solid list that reminds me that I need to pay more attention to GT's output nowadays.

I'd replace Quantum Break with Recore.

I'm not confident of Recore landing a 2016 release, so that could have been something they also felt when making the list. Then again, we also know next to nothing, right? It was just the one trailer that had no gameplay iirc.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's no way Ghost Recon is coming in 2016, and it was never actually confirmed for 2016 either.

El-Suave

Wildlands?

Seems premature given we've only seen it at E3 lat year.

That surprised me as well because we know too little of that game. If you're concerned about a game because of the Ubi open world formula, Far Cry Primal might be a better target because you could also label that one as a bit of a cash grab.

Latest behavior by Square re Hitman should have put that automatically at number 1. Some is clearly very wrong with that game

Well, the game was always going to be released in chunks rather than one full game right out the gate. It just seemed like all they did is just go full on with the episodic-style instead of the original way of releasing content.

KKRT00

Star Citizen? Its not 2016 title, the Squadron 42 is, nice research GT.

And btw people already have fun and dozen hours played in baby PU without tons of stuff yet implemented and even if that would be a case, Star Citizen cant suck, like its not a possibility. Why? Because is community driven and all mechanics are given to players and modified based on the feedback on the get go, so as long as community will give meaningful feedback to development team then it will be great.

Im pretty convinced that people arent going to be happy with Hitman when all is said and done. Just seems like too much hype is based on hope and not substance.

The division is also going to have a lot of people complaining its a typical ubisoft game with a slick Ui.

Star fox zero is going to be the title that proves that actually, not everything platinum touches turns to gold, although Id argue its probably because Nintendo didnt give them free rein.

Mighty 9 is a investment scam that will produce a sub-par video game. You didnt kickstart a megaman spiritual sequel, you funded inafune and his studio for 3 years while he looked for further investment. Thanks for that by the way.

No mans sky served its only purpose :- an exclusive PS4 title for fanboys to hype up to hide the fact that WWS output has been abysmal so far. Now a 2016 title, it will come and go with barely anyone noticing because actual first party AAA exclusives are coming and going to be announced for the PS4 this year.

Quantum break us going to prove that remedys games are good despite their storytellling not because of it. People give them more passes than David cage. None of their games would be good if it wasnt for their interesting mecahnics.

The rest? I havent got a clue

TimmiT

Kinda feels like Mighty No. 9 should be higher going by what they say about it in the video. I'm also not that optimistic about that game after having played the beta and demo, I really regret having spent $80 on the Kickstarter. The game just feels uninspired.

Where's Last Guardian?

E3 demo wasn't impressive at all.

The biggest concern many had about TLG before its re-reveal was that it would look like a completely different game. People were worried that the basic concept of the game was the reason for the delays. The fact that it still looked like the game that people remembered was a big plus. And GT had nothing but praise for the behind the scenes demo that Ueda was showing.

I'm assuming Mighty No. 9 is so low because everyone's expecting it to suck?

And I think everyone's sort of pulling for Battleborn to fail if only because it's Gearbox.

Moff

I believe in hitman
IO has always been very open about what they do after Absolution, and I am certain they are doing their best to give fans what they missed in Absolution, huge levels with many possibilities

UrbanRats

I think this list would've been better named Top 10 Games in 2016 we're very skeptical of delivering or Top 10 Games in 2016 we have major reservations about.

That doesn't grab as much as "might suck" but it's more accurate to the content.

Anyone with a brain can discern what this list is going for.

-
Anyway, i agree with more or less all of them, even though i'm very excited for Ghost Recon (but that's 2017 at best).
I'd add Final Fantasy XV to the list because, even though it's my top anticipated game for this year, the small development time it had, for such a massive open world, worries me.
(before someone wastes their time making a joke about this, development got rebooted in 2012/2013).

Menome

Wait, who's Randy Pitchford and why do we hate him?

CEO of gearbox. And because he's a massive douche who has no respect for his customers or clients. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1q3X3HxeA

But do remember that Gearbox is not a one-man studio and that there's a lot of other people working on it who aren't Randy Pitchford, whatever your opinion on him may be.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was a shitshow and there's no arguing that, but Gearbox have also developed a bunch of great stuff and have an overall good track record. I'm willing to see CM as a blemish, but not as an indicator of everything else going forward from there.

Regginator

i don't think it'll suck, but i'm afraid zelda u is going to heavily disappoint. my expectations are sky high and somehow i'm not oozing with confidence that current day nintendo has what it takes to blow me away with zelda. not in terms of open world after having played witcher 3, definitely not in terms of story since that's just not their main focus, so it all comes down to dungeons for me and how it's integrated in the world.

Good list, and I definitely agree with the top spot.

Even Quantum Break, which I think will be a well polished, fun to play shooter, is going to live or die on the strength of its narrative, characters and storytelling, which given it's rather complicated development history and forced TV/Live Action elements, could easily end up making it fall flat on its face.

I'd have probably swapped it out for Final Fantasy XV though. That could so easily end up being as much of a shit show as the Lightning trilogy. Any kind of confidence or benefit of the doubt that company had with FF was squandered years ago.

SJRB

Gold Member
I believe in hitman
IO has always been very open about what they do after Absolution, and I am certain they are doing their best to give fans what they missed in Absolution, huge levels with many possibilities

Yeah I'm not sure why it's on this list. The recent preview video was excellent, if any this game is going back to its roots after the mediocre Absolution.

I have no doubt Hitman will end up being great.

Luigiv

But do remember that Gearbox is not a one-man studio and that there's a lot of other people working on it who aren't Randy Pitchford, whatever your opinion on him may be.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was a shitshow and there's no arguing that, but Gearbox have also developed a bunch of great stuff and have an overall good track record. I'm willing to see CM as a blemish, but not as an indicator of everything else going forward from there.

Yeah but he calls the shots and has put himself in the front and centre of this flops marketing so he can take the blame in lieu of his devs. Also define great, because that's not an adjective I'd personally use for any Gearbox game I've played (alright is probably where I'd stop).

Accurate list. I don't care for any of these games except Starfox and Mighty Number 9, and those two definitely have me worried. Especiall MN9, unless something changes it seems to be headed into "generic platformer #28464372" territory.

Quantum Break isn't going to suck, come on. This is Remedy we're talking about here, they've got a damn good track record.

Good list otherwise. Hard to argue with most of those choices. If the rumours are true and Star Fox has been delayed yet again then it's probably not going to suck anymore. But boy does that game look like total crapola at the present moment.

For anyone who's still interested in Battleborn, we do have a thread on what details we know over here:

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1091343

File not found huh? I see what you did there.

silva1991

Why Quantum Break? their last game was good I would trust them.

I would replace it with Horizon even tho I'm more exited for it.

jimboton

I agree on the whole, but I doubt No Man's Sky or MN9 have the potential to suck anywhere near the likes of Battleborn, The Division or Quantum Break.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It doesn't hurt to be a bit realistic sometimes.
There is nothing realistic about Quantum Break being on this list. This is a developer that has a pedigree in the genre they're making another game in and they have a publisher that has allowed a delay.

Well, i think you're being pedantic.
Trying to distill a 40 words title into something more workable it's not necessarily clickbait.
And even if it's technically true that "any title can end up sucking" these titles share either a poor first showing, or very ambitious and cloudy promises.
I find the title to be clickbait and the concept of a list based around that title to be pointless.

No problem with a list of 10 games we're not sold on yet, which is closer to what the actual video content is reflective of.

"Top 10 Games in 2016 That Might Suck" is not the ultimate best title ever created and that's my objection. I accept the charge of pedant for that.

UrbanRats

And after you've stopped clapping yourself on the back for "getting it" I will continue to call it pointless clickbait.
Well, i think you're being pedantic.
Trying to distill a 40 words title into something more workable it's not necessarily clickbait.
And even if it's technically true that "any title can end up sucking" these titles share either a poor first showing, or very ambitious and cloudy promises.

Something like Uncharted 4 is a known quantity, because it expands on what it has done before, multiple times, and it looked nothing but amazing every time it was shown.
All the titles in this list don't inspire the same confidence (due to the reasons explained in the video).

This is all stuff that is implied and immediately understood by anyone watching the video, unless you want to be... pedantic about it.

correojon

Star Fox might suck? Yeah, it may not be as awesome as Star Fox 64, but I can't imagine a delayed Nintendo game with Platinum on board not being good. It might be poor graphically, but the 2 best devs in the gameplay department are working on it, I think a good game is guaranteed at this point.

Top Bottom