• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top Ten Games in 2016 That Might Suck

Mory Dunz

I really hope Star Fox Zero isn't true.

I love the Star Fox franchise and it would be a real shame if they release a quick cash-in instead of something memorable.

A quick cash-in would almost certainly result in poor sales, which would even further dissuade Nintendo management from a proper, quality iteration down the road, dooming the Star Fox franchise ad infinitum.

It might be good or horrible, but we already know it's nothing near a "quick cash in" from what we've seen.

From what we've seen it already has more effort put in than the cash in bombas tennis and amiibo.

A pretty good list. Battleborn almost seems like cop out though, everything there's been said and shown about that game points to it sucking hard..

Vitacat

Pretty good list. There are several games there that I'm very interested in, but will wait for reviews before buying.

Star Fox Zero is perhaps the most glaring example. But I love Star Fox, love Nintendo and Platinum, so still have hope.

Quantum Break is one of my most anticipated games for XB1. I watched some early gameplay vids and I don't know... looks really good and fun to me. I doubt it will suck. But we'll see.

Latest behavior by Square re Hitman should have put that automatically at number 1. Some is clearly very wrong with that game

Ppl are blowing this way out of proportion...

How do you come to that conclusion based on the changes they made in the pricing structure... i really don't get it...

Is it because technically they delayed some of the new areas? If thats the case "something is clearly wrong" with every game these days, because they all get delayed

It's definitely PR mismanagement, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the game

10. Star Fox Zero - have no opinion
9. Quantum Break - I thing gamplay will be solid, from the demos you can tell it's fun to play, but story wise who knows...
8. Mighty No. 9 - have no opinion
7. The Division - I played the alpha, and can tell, it will be the new Destiny, it's actually fun
6. Hitman - Ppl who love Hitman games will still love it, everyone else won't find anything interesting in it
5. No Man's Sky - seems overhyped, I doubt it can deliver
4. Star Citizen - it won't even be finished this year...
3. Ghost Recon: Wildlands - can't tell yet
2. Mafia III - can't tell yet
1. Battleborn - beta was boring

MrBadger

I can't disagree with this list.

However, I don't think Mighty No 9 or Star Fox Zero will be bad games, I think they'll be okay-good games that are held back by design, and it's really the potential that they could've been so much better that will sting.

Quantum Break and No Man's Sky might not live up to the high expectations, but I think predicting they might suck is a bit extreme.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Hoping Quantum Break and No Man's Sky deliver. I am really excited for both!

I'd probably have FFXV somewhere on the list, but overall I can't disagree too much. I think Quantum Break isn't going to suck, but it may end up being disappointing in the same way The Order was. I also think it will have to be really damn good to not be eclipsed by releasing so close to Uncharted 4.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Decent list. Completely agree with #1.

It's Gearbox.
Randy Pichtford is involved.
It's not Borderlands.

All the ingredients are there for a Gearbox clusterfuck.

EDIT: Why do they mention Eidos when they talk about Hitman? It's made by IO, not Eidos.

Demoskinos

Honestly, I'm still staying positive for Battleborn. It does exactly what I want, which is first-person MOBA gameplay with a bunch of characters I'm interested in playing, along with a co-op campaign mode.

I just honestly don't get why people are so against it. If it doesn't take your fancy, fine, but some people are intent on driving the game into the ground before it's even been released and that irks me.

I think a lot of people are both sick of the MOBA bandwagon as well as games being designed with the intent that they are going to be the next "esport"

That ,coupled with the fact that Randy Pitchford has done a HORRIBLE job at selling this to people. So many mixed messages. Culminating in him sounding downright desperate the last few times he's been on stage.

Servbot24

Banned
I could see Horizon disappointing some people. Could easily just be yet another chase-the-icon fest.

Get outta here with that Star Fox hate.

It's gonna suck? Because the graphics don't look good? Nonsense.

Everything about it looks bad. Graphics are the least of concerns.

It might be good or horrible, but we already know it's nothing near a "quick cash in" from what we've seen.

From what we've seen it already has more effort put in than the cash in bombas tennis and amiibo.

Well, by "quick cash in" I meant like a generic, uninspired remake that's exactly like Star Fox 64 without any innovation, new storylines, new characters, new locales, etc.

10. Star Fox Zero
As someone who adored StarFox 64 and usually loves Platinum, that this leaves me cold every time I see it is worrying. It just doesn't excite me.

9. Quantum Break
This has "Watch Dogs Syndrome" written all over it--i.e. a compelling idea that may be smothered by AAA action game conventions.

8. Mighty No. 9
The more I see, the less interest I have. Also, the skeevy crowdfunding campaign has put me off giving Inafune any money. I'm glad I didn't pledge anything.

7. The Division
I am shocked, SHOCKED that the game's visuals received a downgrade. Don't buy the carefully crafted vertical slices of gameplay either.

6. Hitman
They don't seem to know what the hell they're doing with this game, and Absolution was meh. I've had a hard time being excited about this from the beginning.

5. No Man's Sky
Really don't see why people are convinced this'll be the greatest thing ever. Bigger studios who promise less are treated with more skepticism. I'm not convinced that they can pull this off, nor do I think the concept will be as fun in practice as it sounds on paper.

4. Star Citizen
Not following this game closely. I know it's gotten a shitton of money and keeps being delayed, but that's it. I'll just wait until the game is released.

3. Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Don't know anything about the game.

2. Mafia III
See 3.

1. Battleborn
Overwatch and Paragon look much more interesting, and impressions have been mixed at best. Not expecting much from this.

I am going to sound really cranky here, but why is it often so hard to for people to pay attention to what is actually said? they said it might suck, and no the graphics weren't the only reason for concern, they also weren't yet fully convinced about the controls with the gamepad, and that the more recent history of star fox games haven't exactly been awesome either.

massoluk

Banned
Agreed with No Man's Sky, surprised at no Horizon.
edit: Dumb reasoning, but KIllzone wasn't really held in that high regard.

legacyzero

Banned
Being the biggest No Man's Sky fan on this board, even I find it hard to disagree with what GT is saying. Perhaps that's why I'm so drawn to it. The fact that Hello Games is being as secretive as they are about it feels less about hiding that it's shallow, and more like deliberately hiding the wonder of the game.

Still, it's hard not be be cynical with the climate of the industry the last 8 or so years. Can't wait to find out. Or, spend the rest of my summer in sorrow.

Devil

I'll copy my comment on Mafia 3:

The reasoning behind putting Mafia 3 up there seems rather unprofessional, honestly. That gameplay video with the exploding cars they are talking about was an IGN exclusive demo in which a developer commented on the scenes. He explicitly states that the rate of exploding cars in that scene was exclusively ramped up that high for the demo, for fun, to end the demo with a bang. None of that will be in the game and he says so very clearly. And still professional mags can't get it right and even use it as an argument in a list like this. Please improve, GT.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Am I a bad person if I actively want Battleborn to fail?

I will never forgive Gearbox for Colonial Marines, seems like everyone has conveniently forgotten how they lied to everyone.

legacyzero

Banned
Am I a bad person if I actively want Battleborn to fail?

I will never forgive Gearbox for Colonial Marines, seems like everyone has conveniently forgotten how they lied to everyone.

Debatable. I think it's less that CM was bad, and more that Pitchford is kind of an asshole.

MrBadger

My biggest concerns are the controls and how slow paced it looks. The graphics looking barren is another issue, though.

However, I don't think it will be bad. I think it'll probably be one of those games that the few people who do buy enjoy and defend to the death, but most won't give it a shot.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Debatable. I think it's less that CM was bad, and more that Pitchford is kind of an asshole.

'Kind of an asshole' is far too polite a term for Pitchford. He is a proven compulsive liar that attacks people that contradict him. He should command absolutely zero respect in the industry.

kurahador

Horizon is my biggest worry given who the developer is.

Horizon has potential because of the talents involved --- Fallout New Vegas writer+Witcher 3 quest designer+Killzone 2 director.
It's not hard to see why the game will most likely ends up good in the eyes of everyone.

EthanC

Banned
Horizon has potential because of the talents involved --- Fallout New Vegas writer+Witcher 3 quest designer+Killzone 2 director.
It's not hard to see why the game will most likely ends up good in the eyes of everyone.

And the developer is Guerrilla, so it's not hard to see why it might suck. That's why I'm worried about it. If it wasn't one of my most anticipated games of the year, I wouldn't really care. Like Battleborn. Sure it'll probably suck, but I'm not worried about it because they've never shown anything to get me interested in it anyway.

Top Bottom