• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top Ten Games in 2016 That Might Suck

Something tells me battleborn will be this years evolve. Also gotta agree with the guy above me, though I am excited for horizon, shadowfall was garbage.

nib95

Banned
Because it might suck? Just like every other game on that list and all the games people have mentioned here.

And guerilla's Last 2 games were garbage

Shadowfall still had a very competent multiplayer though, and Killzone 3 was pretty solid. I put Shadowfall's misfortunes mostly down to it being a rushed launch title. Amusingly enough, KZ3 is actually higher rated on meta than Remedy's last few releases.

Whilst Horizon could suck, I'd argue the gameplay that's been shown from it thus far looks far more compelling than the other games in GT's list.

Concept17

Something tells me battleborn will be this years evolve. Also gotta agree with the guy above me, though I am excited for horizon, shadowfall was garbage.

Shadowfall was far from garbage. The story was disappointing, and some people didn't like their approach to the more open levels in the game. Beyond that it played well, and is still one of the best looking games to date. And now they finally get to move away from Killzone to work on their dream project. Disappointing is the last thing I expect to be from a new Guerrilla title.

prwxv3

I don't know why people are bringing up TLG because of its history. The games development issues were not because of design issues (levels, puzzles, scenarios, ect) its because they could not get the game to run on ps3 with a reasonable framerate. So they had to wait for ps4 hardware and then port the game. That explains why the game was MIA for so long. The game could still suck though but not because of its history.

I saw the thread title and thought "Battleborn should be number one."

Guess I'm not alone in that regard. What a mess of a game.
I have never understood the doom-sayers for Star Fox Zero. Still don't. Almost all of the "this is gonna suck" reaction I have heard is based solely on it not having ultra-realistic graphics.
You either haven't read many discussions on the game or are being openly disingenuous. Because visuals may be a component, but it is not the sole complaint people raise. Hell, the complaint about the visuals isn't even usually what you're framing it to be (i.e. "ultra-realistic").

Because it might suck? Just like every other game on that list and all the games people have mentioned here.

Garbage is overused on this forum for not liking it. I would say their games suffer from being bland But they are far from broken or incompetent. When I think garbage I think AC Unity, and THPS 5 most recently. That's garbage tier. A game being mechanically solid but not to your liking doesn't make a game garbage.

jelly

Quantum Break so far looks average, production value is off the charts but game play and level design shown so far is bog standard with an scenary twist. Have to wait and see.

If Ghost Recon isn't Far Cry camps and 3rd person I'll be genuinely surprised. That trailer, good luck.

"That Might Suck" is a bit of a harsh/attention title. The script is more concerned about being concerned about one aspect or another, or games not living up to the hype. If these concerns come true, that doesn't necessarily make those games suck.

I can understand the concerns regarding Ghost Recon and Mafia III. I'm having those myself.

Disagree with their reasons for Hitman being on there.
Trailers, demonstrations, leaked footage and impressions have demonstrated quite well that IO is doing more than just talking about how it's building on the strengths of Blood Money. There being a multitude of ways of performing a hit, and replaying missions to do recon, mess about and see how things unfold, was part of its appeal. Was anything but tedious. And levels in Hitman will have more than a mission. IO has talked about replayability in terms of how the initial level is large and has a lot of things going on, alternative targets, user generated contracts, bunch of stuff to explore, figure out and try to execute. And from what I've heard, 47's abilities have been expanded. I was glad to hear that for instance, in one build you could buy a soda can, and knock people out by throwing it in the backs of their faces. Experimenting with dumb stuff like that sounds like fun.

If I'd be concerned about anything at this stage, it'd be that while they're supposed to be expansive, there will only be six locations. Granted, while Blood Money and friends had 10+ or some such, not all of them were winners. I only really liked the "normal" ones.

The episodic release schedule is kind of whatever. The story is the only thing I can see the episodic structure affect negatively. Not something I've particularly valued about these games. The Hitmans I've enjoyed have had a loose framework of an overarching story, and IO can and likely will do the same here. I appreciate that they're instead focusing on storytelling within the levels.

Justinh

Brandon Jones already told us that Starfox sucks. I'm still gonna Day1 it, of course, though.

I thought it was a Dinosaur game?
It's a game where you fight Dinosaurs using Gorilla warfare.

Ghost Recon still gives me a big ol' ehhhhhhhhh........ Other than Advanced Warfighter (which I only played because it was a new game for my shiny new 360), Ghost Recon games and Rainbow Six games look so... not what I want.

It's been more than a dozen years since I played Ghost Recon (proper) or Rainbox Six Rogue Spear (that game was soo fun online with friends!) so maybe it's just nostalgia (it likely is), but these new games strike me as a different flavored modern third-person shooters.

I didn't even know there was a new ghost recon. Last one was shit and died quick. Couldn't do horde mode with randoms. So stupid, I ended up selling the game in like 5 days. Have never done that before.

Very doubtful QB will suck considering the developer. At the absolute worst I see a 6.5 and even that seems like a huge stretch. I suspect it will be a 7.5-8.5 game, likely low 8s overall.

Developer of one of the highest rated FPS shooters last gen?
People are expecting to be amazong and they have done that once out four attempts. Definitely cautiously optimistic about it. That and TLG could be on the list, but moreso games that hit 7/10 rather than 9/10 like QB for example. Doubtful eother of the three will fully suck

post-S

Killzone 3 isn't bad. I mean, it's garbage when you compared it to Killzone 2, but it's an enjoyable game when you look at it independently.

Phil4000

After hearing about the developer swap for Mafia 3, and the renewed focus on a less grounded world/gameplay, i've lost all interest.

Sadly, I think Gametrailers is spot on with many of their predictions ...

sora87

Yup, all those games might indeed suck. They had well thought out reasons why too which I appreciate. I probably would have put Starfox at number 1 though.

Hopefully Quantum Break is decent.

I'm legitimately worried that Star Fox Zero is going to be bad, and that the delays are just damage control to try and fix whatever they can to lessen the blow.

I agree with the list, but I'd personally remove Battleborn given its relative lack of hype, shift up Star Fox higher and include The Last Guardian.

Best wishes.

I think that list pretty much nails it, but don't most games have the potential to "suck".

Also, Star Citizen? didn't know it was supposed to be out in 2016.

bman94

I really want Star Fox to do well. If it does then maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will put some attention to their other "B" level franchises.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I actually agree with every single game on the list.

daveo42

Banned
Outside of Star Citizen, which totally isn't coming out this year or even in the next five years, I agree. Not sure what I would put in its play though.

Top Bottom