• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamezNFlix - rent games & movies online - aka "I immediately regret this decision"

border

I wanted to try out some Xbox 360 games and there's no place in the area that is renting them. GamezNFlix sounded like a good deal (rent 2 games or movies at the same time for $12.99 per month), so I signed up for their free trial. During their trial period, you are limited to renting titles that are "available for immediate shipping".

Little did I know, next-to-nothing is available for immediate shipping. Every single Xbox 360 game has a wait on it. Any remotely new game for PS2/Xbox has a wait on it. I can't even rent old licsenced shit like Buffy: Chaos Bleeds or Alias. Remember Aggressive Inline, Acclaim's Tony Hawk ripoff megabomb from nearly 3-4 years ago? It's got a wait time. Even universally abhorred titles like Backyard Wrestling have a wait time.

So there is basically nothing that I can add to my queue. If I upgraded to a non-trial membership I guess I could add X360 stuff to the queue but that still means I would be sitting around waiting for games to ship.

I wasn't expecting this service to be anything amazing like Netflix, but you'd think they could at least keep a clunker like Blinx in stock. A internet games & movies service is the Holy Grail for some of us, but it looks like it's a long long way off still. This company would probably be better off suspending any sort of free trial period, because all it does is make them look like a piece of shit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I really liked Aggressive Inline! Certainly more than the recent Tony Hawks (save the DS game!) :lol

mosaic

go eat paint
Odd, I too use GamezNFlix, but for my trial period, I was limited to a small selection of pre-selected games and had to let their system automatically fill my queue.

Either way, you're right, their trial period is a horrible way of setting a first impression. All it does is give you an idea of the turnaround time...

I'm still using them though, because the turnaround time was superb, and I've had no trouble getting everything in my queue lickety-split since the trial period ended. I don't rent Xbox 360, but I've been renting PS2, GameCube, PSP, and DVDs and haven't come up against more than a couple "short waits."

For me, they've been a much better fit than GameFly, due to the turnaround time. I'm in Michigan. GameFly ships from California, only. GamezNFlix has four shipping centers, one of which is in Kentucky. When I used GameFly, it'd take more than a week from when I dropped a game in the mailbox for them to get it and for me to get my next choice. With GamezNFlix, it's more like 4 days all told. GamezNFlix being $10 cheaper than GameFly for their 3-out plan is also a nice bonus.

Raistlin

Unfortunately, there's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario when these companies first start up.

They can't afford a huge inventory until enough people sign up ... some people won't sign up because there isn't enough of an inventory ...

Top Bottom