• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming device for long flight ✈️

Hi folks

Help me decide with this one.
January next year I have 4 flights, each one over 10 hours.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 2020 but well. No games… (procreate)

So:
1- Nintendo switch (oled), I don’t like Nintendo games but I did enjoy Zelda until Nintendo wii. (Played all before). So I can play the botw and some Mario i have skipped.

2- Alienware laptop 💻. I can play the last Batman or new plague tale , plus do some tech work. (Would be the Alienware x14, airplane have 100 w plug. I7 12 gen, Rtx 3060, 32gb. Play in full hd low settings I hope). I don’t like the Asus g14.

3- Steamdeck, I don’t like emulation and I don’t replay games, I mostly buy games day one on ps5. So im afraid that new games that I haven’t played won’t run on this machine (new plague tale or Batman barely run as I saw on some utube channel )

Any other ideas? Yes I have expired sleeping pills 2ml , 😂

MAtgS

Hi folks

So:
1- Nintendo switch (oled), I don’t like Nintendo games but I did enjoy Zelda until Nintendo wii. (Played all before). So I can play the botw and some Mario i have skipped.
Add the Following:
1. Link's Awakening, start on Hero Mode if you beaten it on GB/C before.
2. Mario Maker 2, load up that 1 super world the internet got worked up over in advance.
3. At least 3-5 of the following: Stardew Valley, Undertale/Deltarune, Golf Story, Eastward, Hades, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Bloodstained, Cuphead, Wargroove, Cadance of Hyrule, Celeste, the Shantae series.

Step 3 also applies to laptop and Steam Deck.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Steam Deck or modded 2DS XL would be my go-to devices. You’re right about the new Plague Tale. I was playing the GP version on Win10 on my Deck and I had to go with low settings and 65% res scale just to get to around 30fps. However, there are thousands of other games it plays well.

tommib

28Dto4r.jpg

Beechos

Hi folks

So:

2- Alienware laptop 💻. I can play the last Batman or new plague tale , plus do some tech work. (Would be the Alienware x14, airplane have 100 w plug. I7 12 gen, Rtx 3060, 32gb. Play in full hd low settings I hope). I don’t like the Asus g14.

3- Steamdeck, I don’t like emulation and I don’t replay games, I mostly buy games day one on ps5. So im afraid that new games that I haven’t played won’t run on this machine (new plague tale or Batman barely run as I saw on some utube channel )

Laptop prob too big. I would go steamdeck or just watch movies/tv shows on the ipad.

X14 will be too loud for a plane cabin. You may be asked to turn it off. Switch or steam deck will be fine since battery isn't an issue on planes. Personally, Switch is what I always take.

I thought the same. Looks like x14 is loud , but airplanes turbines would cancel it …
But u are right , maybe just go with switch

Lasha

I thought the same. Looks like x14 is loud , but airplanes turbines would cancel it …
But u are right , maybe just go with switch

Frequency is the issue. X14 fans are pretty high pitched compared to the jet engine. You're going to piss somebody off unless you're flying SQ suites or similar. The little cooling block on the back also feels vulnerable when playing from a seat back tray. X14 is great for gaming while travelling but not when you are actually in transit.

I hope I could sleep on airplanes ✈️.
Hope you can. I had a lot of long flights, since first I had to travel a lot from Germany to Los Angeles for work and now living in Japan and fly sometimes to Germany to visit friends or my family.

Long story short without something I had never luck to get even an out of sleep and ended up completely overtired after the flight. It depends on the person, my wife has no problems to sleep at all.

So first try out if you can or not. After some failed attempts I was able to get from my doctor some string sleeping pills prescribed and since then I can get a good long sleep in the plane and kill the time.

However be careful with these sleeping pills, one time I flew with my wife, I was waking up shortly before arriving in Hawaii and was surprised that I even missed breakfast, only to be lectured to my wife, that I actually ate it and even the stuff I normally don’t. I checked after that the internet and it turns out sleepwalking is a common side effect of the drug and in America a guy even went to court because his wife found out he was cheating, but he is swearing that he has no memory of it and says he must have done it while under the effect of the drug.

Hope you can. I had a lot of long flights, since first I had to travel a lot from Germany to Los Angeles for work and now living in Japan and fly sometimes to Germany to visit friends or my family.

Long story short without something I had never luck to get even an out of sleep and ended up completely overtired after the flight. It depends on the person, my wife has no problems to sleep at all.

So first try out if you can or not. After some failed attempts I was able to get from my doctor some string sleeping pills prescribed and since then I can get a good long sleep in the plane and kill the time.

However be careful with these sleeping pills, one time I flew with my wife, I was waking up shortly before arriving in Hawaii and was surprised that I even missed breakfast, only to be lectured to my wife, that I actually ate it and even the stuff I normally don’t. I checked after that the internet and it turns out sleepwalking is a common side effect of the drug and in America a guy even went to court because his wife found out he was cheating, but he is swearing that he has no memory of it and says he must have done it while under the effect of the drug.
I also live in Japan and my wife take care of me when I go back..
I have no memory of travel at all, last time my wife told me I saw the same spider man movie 3 times in a row and I ate in slow motion for long time.
now I’m traveling alone so I’m kinda afraid taking those strong pills.

Btw do u get ur sleeping pills from Japanese doctors? I take 2mg clonazepan but they won’t give me for travel.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can you bring powerbanks to a plane? If so, do so, most demanding games will sip the battery life out of any device you end up bringing with you.

Are you into classic-style JRPGs? If so, grab the Deck and get Crystal Project.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
pop a Xanax. you won't remember the flihjt anyways. That's what i did going to Japan. Apparently I watched Star Wars on that flight and like 4 other films. Couldn't tell you what happened in any of them.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Gamerguy84

Holy shit dude I'd never make it, that would be torture.

You've already named good.ones. I like to download movies to wstch.as well.

Maybe a sleeping pill and stay up for 24 hours before.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I think a used Vita loaded with PSX/PSP and Vita games is probably the cheapest and most convenient choice. That is if you like those platforms naturally. A Steam Deck will obviously allow you to play the most games at best possible settings but it's larger in size which may not be as convenient for a flight. So I'd probably choose either of those two.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This depends heavily on the class and carrier you are flying, but essentially if you are not expecting access to a socket to charge your device then really the Switch OLED is the only choice for "long" flights.

Steam deck and laptops will need there own supply to get any gaming done for any sort of period past two hours of use.

Switch OLED you have more than double that depending on game. Sure the other two options are less restrictive on paper, but they are more restrictive when you realise your only 1/4th of the way in and your already out of juice. External power banks would be an option if they where not so restricted and limited for flights, can't have anything over 100Wh unregistered and 160Wh registered in hand luggage, and you need to make room for it on top.

So Switch OLED would be my vote.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

As someone who did a 13-hour flight before, I can't recommend anything but a laptop that doesn't sound like a jet engine. First of all, you will waste time watching movies and stuff on the plan screen in front of you. or you can pre-download an anime or a show you really want to watch and just watch one episode after the other.

Then download a game or two that doesn't make the fans go 100%. its really annoying. something simple like ninja turtles or whatever.

if you are not traveling first class, pick a seat close to the door. you will have more room distance for your legs.

have a nice trip.

flying_sq

I flew a couple longer flights recently, one at 8 one at 10, used a Samsung S8+. If your company will allow it, bump up to international business class, or if personal, do it yourself. Lay flat seats/suites on planes are the only way for long distance flights.
Edit: You're also assuming the plug at your seat will work. I carry a UK plug for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Hi folks

So:

Honestly? Get Apple Arcade just to play Fantasian. It is one of the best JRPGs of all time and is sadly an exclusive to that gods forsaken service.

Top Bottom