• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming device for long flight ✈️

CJ_75

You never know if any of your flights gets delayed. Therefore, buy 2 Nintendo Switch Oled..or even better, 3 of them.

Jaybe

Go with the Switch. If you don’t like Nintendo games there are 100s of indies and ports, plus Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta 3

Chukhopops

If bag space is a concern: Analogue Pocket, Switch or your iPad.

If not: Steam Deck, try to keep it charging when you use it since battery dies in around 3-4 hours.

Banjo64

cumsessed
SWOLED

If you don’t like Nintendo games and primarily play PS - buy Ori 1&2 and some indies/multiplats. There’s a shit tonne.

Moses85

What Is That Oh My God GIF
will ferrell omg GIF

GreatnessRD

pop a Xanax. you won't remember the flihjt anyways. That's what i did going to Japan. Apparently I watched Star Wars on that flight and like 4 other films. Couldn't tell you what happened in any of them.
"Did ah half a Xan. 13 hrs till a land... Had me out like a light, like a light"

😂

CamHostage

You're buying a whole new device for one flight? Weird.

Can't beat a Switch, really, if you don't have one by now. Some of the greatest games ever made are on it (not just Mario or Zelda), and if you haven't had a Nintendo system in a while, you've got a reason now to get this one.

Steam Deck is a nice step up, and you can get basically everything you can imagine for it (including a slew of Steam titles for a song) but it'll be heavier and shorter on battery life, as well as pricier and harder to get.

I love my Ayn Odin (very comfy, good screen, good performance, back-buttons) but it is an Android device and you'll be a little more limited in choices and titles, plus you'll have to know how to get software for it. There are also a ton of other Android portables out there (some recommended in this thread,) I heard you say you don't like retro or replaying games so those probably won't fit you but there's certainly more out there than you've ever played before.

You never know if any of your flights gets delayed. Therefore, buy 2 Nintendo Switch Oled..or even better, 3 of them.

You're joking I assume, but the better solution is just one of those cellphone power banks. Widely available, relatively cheap and versatile; they'll fill the Switch up once or twice depending on the mAh.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71AmjrFi54L._SL1500_.jpg

Filben

Get Into the Breach and Stardew Valley for your phone/tablet. Then you're good for a 100 hours flight.

Last edited:
You're buying a whole new device for one flight? Weird.

Can't beat a Switch, really, if you don't have one by now. Some of the greatest games ever made are on it (not just Mario or Zelda), and if you haven't had a Nintendo system in a while, you've got a reason now to get this one.

Steam Deck is a nice step up, and you can get basically everything you can imagine for it (including a slew of Steam titles for a song) but it'll be heavier and shorter on battery life, as well as pricier and harder to get.

I love my Ayn Odin (very comfy, good screen, good performance, back-buttons) but it is an Android device and you'll be a little more limited in choices and titles, plus you'll have to know how to get software for it. There are also a ton of other Android portables out there (some recommended in this thread,) I heard you say you don't like retro or replaying games so those probably won't fit you but there's certainly more out there than you've ever played before.

You're joking I assume, but the better solution is just one of those cellphone power banks. Widely available, relatively cheap and versatile; they'll fill the Switch up once or twice depending on the mAh.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71AmjrFi54L._SL1500

In total will be 6 flights = around 55 hours in the airplane . Not counting time waiting at airport .

It will count as my late xmas present 🎁

Just went to the store and I may get an used switch le 🤲 quite cheap.

(Reserved the steam in Japan but looks like won’t be out anytime soon )

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
1 - Steam Deck
2 - Pair of bluetooth noise cancelling headphones with relatively low latency like the 1000XM5 or similar.

As someone who did >15h worth of flights with his Deck, I can say this is the way.

Last edited:

lachesis

I just used steam deck for my 15hr flight. Used the AC outlet on the seat and had no issues… but it was pretty big and hefty to carry in the bag.

But my most important purchase was the Bose quiet comfort noise cancelling headphone - one with replaceable AAA battery. I was much more relaxed during the flight and felt less fatigue.

nush

Girlfriend and earning access to the mile high club.

No girlfriend? Gameboy Advance AGS 101. 1 Charge will get you through a whole flight if you know you have to sleep for a few hours at least.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Simple, if you have an internet connection, just download and play random dice. Once your addicted, it will kill many hours.

Definitely not a Steam Deck. You'll be charging it multiple times each flight :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'd probably just go with the laptop. Switch isn't too bad.

Roberts

With my irrational fear of flying I can only concentrate on simple things, so I just download primitive but addictive games like Solitaire, Angry Birds etc on my ipad or phone.

I also live in Japan and my wife take care of me when I go back..
I have no memory of travel at all, last time my wife told me I saw the same spider man movie 3 times in a row and I ate in slow motion for long time.
now I’m traveling alone so I’m kinda afraid taking those strong pills.

Btw do u get ur sleeping pills from Japanese doctors? I take 2mg clonazepan but they won’t give me for travel.
I actually got mine when I was in Germany and those were Zolpidem. I could imagine it might be harder in Japan to get those, since I hear the feeling many Japanese medicaments are very weak. Japanese people tend anyway to take less medicaments. My wife didn’t even want to take something for the birth of our daughter , told me something about the pain strengthens the mother/child bond.

cireza

I recommend the PS Vita, battery is pretty good. There is also an external battery available.

Last edited:

Three

I sleep on flights even while it's taking off or landing. I'm completely knocked out on them. A pair of noise cancelling headphones as well and nothing wakes me anymore bar the baby kicking your seat.

Having said that out of what you've mentioned I'd take the switch if I wanted to play. Battery lasts longer than 2 hours unlike the steamdeck and there is a lot to play.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I regularly fly 16+ hour non stop flights. I’m now in a position to fly business which just means they turn the lights off and everyone goes to sleep until they wake you up.

When I used to fly economy this is my recommendations, from someone who had never slept on a plane until I had a bed.

Buy some NC headphones, my personal preference is BOSE but whatever is most comfortable for you.

Do not play games in economy unless it’s on a phone.

Economy long haul is one of the worst situations you can ever find yourself to be in, every annoying tiny movement of those around you magnifies over the length of the trip. Be a good social flyer and try and sit there as a stunned mullet like as possible just watching movies.

Playing a switch or steam deck will no doubt annoy those around you.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've got steam deck for almost a month now and it really is amazing but it's anything but portable.
It's huge, a bit heavy, unwieldy to play without holding your hands on a table or on your knees when you lie on your bed with legs up.
I think a phone or some smaller retro portable should be enough.
Playing uncharted 4 or souls games on a plane is not a perfect environment anyway.

I though I would love this thing a bit more but I am finding that I don't want to play these big games on handheld anyway.

That said... I have a flight incoming so I will be sure to take it with me :p

Batiman

Banned
I can’t game on flights. I get nauseous as fuck trying to. Can barely read. I’d rather just smoke a huge joint then sleep through most of it

Calverz

It's huge, a bit heavy, unwieldy to play without holding your hands on a table or on your knees
Well what else would you do? Hold your device in mid air while playing?? The steam deck is actually wide enough that makes it easier to rest your elbows while you play in bed.

mhirano

Hope you can. I had a lot of long flights, since first I had to travel a lot from Germany to Los Angeles for work and now living in Japan and fly sometimes to Germany to visit friends or my family.

Long story short without something I had never luck to get even an out of sleep and ended up completely overtired after the flight. It depends on the person, my wife has no problems to sleep at all.

So first try out if you can or not. After some failed attempts I was able to get from my doctor some string sleeping pills prescribed and since then I can get a good long sleep in the plane and kill the time.

However be careful with these sleeping pills, one time I flew with my wife, I was waking up shortly before arriving in Hawaii and was surprised that I even missed breakfast, only to be lectured to my wife, that I actually ate it and even the stuff I normally don’t. I checked after that the internet and it turns out sleepwalking is a common side effect of the drug and in America a guy even went to court because his wife found out he was cheating, but he is swearing that he has no memory of it and says he must have done it while under the effect of the drug.
Ambien/zolpidem is a bitch

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well what else would you do? Hold your device in mid air while playing?? The steam deck is actually wide enough that makes it easier to rest your elbows while you play in bed.
Only when you play in bed sitting with legs stretched.
Like that is great with a pillow:
FKJNA97.jpg

It does not work for me for long when sitting in a chair without armrests or when laying down for me.
And for me, the screen is too small for modern games with a lot of details. It's hard to grasp. it is perfect for stuff like turok1,2 retro games and maybe Dark Souls 1 and 2... 3 is already a it busy on the small screen but works.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm off on a flight on Wednesday form the UK to Rome.

I have my phone and Medieval 2: Total War installed and ready to go.

Hi folks

Help me decide with this one.
January next year I have 4 flights, each one over 10 hours.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 2020 but well. No games… (procreate)

So:
1- Nintendo switch (oled), I don’t like Nintendo games but I did enjoy Zelda until Nintendo wii. (Played all before). So I can play the botw and some Mario i have skipped.

2- Alienware laptop 💻. I can play the last Batman or new plague tale , plus do some tech work. (Would be the Alienware x14, airplane have 100 w plug. I7 12 gen, Rtx 3060, 32gb. Play in full hd low settings I hope). I don’t like the Asus g14.

3- Steamdeck, I don’t like emulation and I don’t replay games, I mostly buy games day one on ps5. So im afraid that new games that I haven’t played won’t run on this machine (new plague tale or Batman barely run as I saw on some utube channel )

Any other ideas? Yes I have expired sleeping pills 2ml , 😂
Using expired sleeping pills is all you will probably need for entertainment 😂

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Laptop seems like the best answer.

Bring that and then leave it under your seat, and discuss videogames on GAF on your phone instead.

Top Bottom