• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming PCs and components look set to jump by as much as 25% in price in the US as import tariff exclusions come to an end

If you're a US-based PC gamer and you've been holding off upgrading your rig, you might want to think again, as prices for graphics cards, motherboards, and even PC cases, are set to see a big bump in their prices. Depending on the item, the increase could be as much as 25%, which could make getting a new GPU very expensive.

Back in 2018, the US Trade Representative (USTR) issued a report in which it declared that "acts, policies, and practices of the Government of China related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation were unreasonable or discriminatory, and burdened or restricted U.S. commerce." The result of which were import tariffs on a raft of products that were manufactured or assembled in China, including all kinds of PC components and peripherals.
However, in 2022, the current US administration created a list of exclusions for 350 products (graphics cards and motherboards being two such cases), intending to give the industry sufficient time to shift as much of the upstream supply chain and assembly duties as possible outside of China.

That's not been particularly successful and as reported by PC Mag, the USTR has told the White House that it recommends that all tariffs should be maintained, including the ones that had been temporarily lifted.

At the moment, neither the USTR nor the White House have officially stated that they will reinstate all tariffs nor provided any indication as to when it could happen. But as the US heads toward a presidential election in November, there's a good chance the current administration will implement a raft of tariffs to generate a sense of having control over its markets, even if that means increases in prices for the consumer.
When it comes to graphics cards and motherboards, some vendors have all their assembly lines in China, such as Zotac, whereas others are based in Taiwan, like Gigabyte. However, they all still heavily rely on China-based suppliers for things like printed circuit boards, capacitors, and voltage regulators, even though GPUs and memory chips are predominantly manufactured in Taiwan and South Korea.

Less complex parts, e.g. keyboards, mice, and PC cases, are almost exclusively assembled in China, and it's very hard to find anything for a gaming PC that's entirely built outside of that particular country.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Guess my 3080 will have to carry me a few more years.

Paltheos

It might be time for me. I upgraded my GPU to a 1080.. pre-covid, I think, but my rig is well over 10 years old. Might be time for a fresh build.

I don't play graphically intensive games generally but I did notice Tales of Arise chugging a few years ago.

Keeps getting better and better. I also expect Nvidia to price their next GPUs 50% more after seeing their recent profits from AI.

They really have no reason not to. What are you going to do buy an AMD? Good luck with that. I'd gladly pay over 50% more I can't stand AMD and would never purchase one of their products again.

Last edited:
if 5090 has 512bit bus, dont care lets do this

giphy.gif

buenoblue

I just picked up a 4070ti from Amazon in UK for £599. I figured the 5000 series is gonna be out of my budget of 500 ish. Replacing a 2070 super so should be nice upgrade.

StereoVsn

Fuckin lovely.

So when is this supposed to happen? Maybe I should pick up something with 16gb.
I think renewal of Trump’s tariffs (remember these were originally levied during Trump admin and then suspended after COVID) is going to happen pretty quickly so probably next couple of months if not earlier.

So either buy 4080 or 4090 now or wait and see what happens. Personally I am waiting for 5080 reveal. No point in spending $1K+ for a 4000 series card when we are not that far off from 5000 series launch.

Crayon

I think renewal of Trump’s tariffs (remember these were originally levied during Trump admin and then suspended after COVID) is going to happen pretty quickly so probably next couple of months if not earlier.

So either buy 4080 or 4090 now or wait and see what happens. Personally I am waiting for 5080 reveal. No point in spending $1K+ for a 4000 series card when we are not that far off from 5000 series launch.

Damn. I started shopping last night cuz of this. I don't spend anywhere near a thousand bucks for GPUS. I just want to jump into something with more memory now. I see 6800's are going at $370. I like to build relative to consoles and get good bang for the buck. A 6800 I could ride for a long time if I need to given there's three or four more more years of this gen and probably 3 years of cross-gen after that. Plus I'm only trying to hit 1440 since I'm playing 8 ft away from a tv.

I could hand me down my 6600xt then my office computer, but I think I would Craigslist it to fund and upgrade if I was going to go unplanned right now.

Maybe prices won't go up that much. But I'd feel better hedging it now.

DaGwaphics

Glad I finished up my rebuild before this hit (it would have been a decent mid-range system in 2020, because 3-4 year old parts is how I roll). This would have made me go back even further.

@ Crayon Crayon , that's my thinking exactly on the 6800. Picked up the XFX version for $370, the fans are a nice tone, even when they kick up it isn't annoying.

StereoVsn

Damn. I started shopping last night cuz of this. I don't spend anywhere near a thousand bucks for GPUS. I just want to jump into something with more memory now. I see 6800's are going at $370. I like to build relative to consoles and get good bang for the buck. A 6800 I could ride for a long time if I need to given there's three or four more more years of this gen and probably 3 years of cross-gen after that. Plus I'm only trying to hit 1440 since I'm playing 8 ft away from a tv.

I could hand me down my 6600xt then my office computer, but I think I would Craigslist it to fund and upgrade if I was going to go unplanned right now.

Maybe prices won't go up that much. But I'd feel better hedging it now.
What about something like 4070 Super? Or 7800xt? 6800 is a bit long in the tooth.

Crayon

Glad I finished up my rebuild before this hit (it would have been a decent mid-range system in 2020, because 3-4 year old parts is how I roll). This would have made me go back even further.

@ Crayon Crayon , that's my thinking exactly on the 6800. Picked up the XFX version for $370, the fans are a nice tone, even when they kick up it isn't annoying.

That's so funny I just went for it before I saw this.

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
Hopeful this will decrease demand in USA, and allows more 5090* abundence else where, and thus decreases retailers/IHV scalping!

Win-win for everyone !

* and basically other PC components

cireza

Countries in the European Economic Union have been paying at least 20% taxes for anything imported from outside for years now, so honestly, US gamers have been lucky so far I would say !

Made buying stuff from US or Asia ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Hopeful this will decrease demand in USA, and allows more 5090* abundence else where, and thus decreases retailers/IHV scalping!

Win-win for everyone !

* and basically other PC components
I only see prices increasing on everything, everywhere.

StereoVsn

Countries in the European Economic Union have been paying at least 20% taxes for anything imported from outside for years now, so honestly, US gamers have been lucky so far I would say !

Made buying stuff from US or Asia ridiculously expensive.
US prices in actuality can go from 0% extra all the way to 12% or so depending on the state/city. It’s just taxes aren’t listed on websites since there is so much variability.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Stop being poor. Sell some stocks, attend some meetings, win the lottery. Easy peasy.

TheKratos

Man all the "vote with your wallet" really backfired. For years gaming revenue dying but now Jensen Huang can fully live off datacentre revenue due to AI. You bet you ass GPU prices will be even higher now.

Top Bottom