• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay and Bisexual relationship thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey 87

*high fives back*

I don't take Astrology seriously, but I am interested in it. It can be a good conversation topic for someone you've just met.

Can it? I would be so confused if I met someone for the first time and we started talking about Astrology. When I do read star signs I usually just pick the best sounding one :p

I'm a Virgo btw (best star sign)

*high fives back*

I don't take Astrology seriously, but I am interested in it. It can be a good conversation topic for someone you've just met.
It would be more of a conversation stopper for me. I know nothing about astrology (for obvious reasons), so if someone seriously started talking about it, it would weird me out. I'd just nod along till the next topic comes along. :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's just a form of idle entertainment; I don't imagine most people are making life decisions based off horoscopes. Dismissing someone because they happen to bring it up is like walking away after finding out you don't share a mutual interest in pottery or something.

Particular amusement coming from the furries, of all people, poo-pooing it.

GothPunk

I'm a Virgo btw (best star sign)
That's the virgin maiden sign right? With the big titties and nice bootay? Sounds like you alright.

Libra is clearly the best sign, I'm a MACHINE!

Just read this on Wikipedia "In Roman mythology, Libra is considered to depict the scales held by Astraea (identified as Virgo), the goddess of justice." So Libra and Virgo team up to enact justice upon puny mortals? Nice.

I think horoscopes are trash but the myths and history behind them can be interesting.

Lucario

It's just a form of idle entertainment; I don't imagine most people are making life decisions based off horoscopes. Dismissing someone because they happen to bring it up is like walking away after finding out you don't share a mutual interest in pottery or something.

Most? No.

People in this topic earlier were looking for people of compatible signs to talk to, though. That's where most of the "are you fucking kidding me" seems to be coming from.

Not to mention, if you're on OKC, there's a lot of 18-23 gay guys who will only date their/compatible signs.

I realize it's just a hobby/idle amusement for most, but I feel like most of the people insulting astrology have run into the people who are completely obnoxious about it.

(And yes, I have cancelled a date because the guy kept talking about how our signs were incompatible and was "apprehensive, but wanted to have the date anyways." Not dealing with that superstitious bullshit.)

Lucario

CHEEZMO™;37124565 said:
Why?

If I were to roll my eyes at someone talking about homeopathy, would you call out my fondness for BDSM?

To be fair, he might think of furries as the "spirit animal" crowd.

(My spirit animal is the left restraint hook and ballgag.)

BeesEight

CHEEZMO™;37124565 said:

It's just a form of idle entertainment;

I would think that's the answer to the question. Probably with the follow-up that there's likely lots of people who wouldn't give furries a look because of their interest in that particular entertainment.

I don't think anyone is faulting someone for dismissing another who actually takes astrology seriously. Just like no one would fault somebody for dismissing a person that shows up to a first date in a furry costume.

Alcoori

Oh I'm not talking about reading horoscopes and talking abou it for 2secs. I'm talking about someone telling me "you're such a Taurus, lol".
IMO there are better things to be idly entertained by and someone leading a conversation by that is a definite nope, more so than not liking pottery.

I wouldn't walk away (but I guess your post wasn't directed at me anyway). However, your analogy about pottery isn't necessarily apt. People will never reflect on their personality and base important life decisions on pottery classes. Some few people do however on astrology. Also, taking pottery classes isn't a superstition, astrology is. So the latter is arguably more questionable.

But I'm talking hypothetical here. I've yet to date a guy that was into astrology anyway.

Bailey 87

That's the virgin maiden sign right? With the big titties and nice bootay? Sounds like you alright.

Libra is clearly the best sign, I'm a MACHINE!

Just read this on Wikipedia "In Roman mythology, Libra is considered to depict the scales held by Astraea (identified as Virgo), the goddess of justice." So Libra and Virgo team up to enact justice upon puny mortals? Nice.

I think horoscopes are trash but the myths and history behind them can be interesting.

lol oh you. I have decided we should break up Libra and virgo are not compatible :p

I do like that we team up to enact justic upon puny mortals sounds cool.

Talking about star signs is it true that the star sign we think we are isn't our real star sign.

BeesEight

Talking about star signs is it true that the star sign we think we are isn't our real star sign.

It's based on the day of your birth with a bunch of random cut-offs that are pretty subjectively drawn. So it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought a different system than the one we have is more "authentic." But the basic premise is the alignment of the planets has some sort of bearing on our personality, so I really wouldn't take stock in anything people say on the subject.

Lol, spoken like a true Ares! or something...

Bailey 87

It's based on the day of your birth with a bunch of random cut-offs that are pretty subjectively drawn. So it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought a different system than the one we have is more "authentic." But the basic premise is the alignment of the planets has some sort of bearing on our personality, so I really wouldn't take stock in anything people say on the subject.

Lol, spoken like a true Ares! or something...

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up :)

Now change of subject, who has an xbox and hasn't purchased Witcher 2. This game will probably be my game of the year unless Max payne 3 blows me away.

BeesEight

If we're talking signs... I'm a Cancer...
Also... born on the year of the Ox...

any of em mean anything...?

You're a caring and compassionate person but can be prone to strong flights of fancy and distraction. Try focussing your energy on completing the tasks at hand and make sure you don't spend too much of yourself on others. Take a break and some little alone time to recharge yourself and you'll find your fortunes improve tenfold.

Also, you're probably hairy... like an ox.

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up :)

Now change of subject, who has an xbox and hasn't purchased Witcher 2. This game will probably be my game of the year unless Max payne 3 blows me away.

I only got through the first act of Witcher 1 before giving up. Witcher 2 is still sitting away on my wishlist on Steam but I just can't justify purchasing it given my disinterest from the previous installment.

Dota 2 is my GotY for every year until it officially launches. Though, despite what I've been saying before, this year is starting to shape up to be really good depending on how Legend of Grimrock, Dark Souls PC, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, Dead State and Natural Selection 2 turn out (though those last three are pretty iffy).

GothPunk

lol oh you. I have decided we should break up Libra and virgo are not compatible :p

I do like that we team up to enact justic upon puny mortals sounds cool.

For the laugh I looked up Virgo/Libra compatability, this shit is hilarious. Talk about applying to everyone and no-one at the same time. I like this part: "There are challenges here, but also the potential to enjoy domestic harmony and a refined, clean, high-minded lifestyle."

We're all about the high-minded lifestyle ya'll.

I just looked up about the change in Zodiac signs, and the reason given is amazing. Get this:
The stars appear to move over the years because of a 26,000-year long process called "precession". This is because of the wobble in the rotation of the Earth.

"As a consequence of this, over the last two thousand years the dates at which the Sun appears to move in front of each background constellation of stars has altered by a few days," says Dr Marek Kukula, public astronomer at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.

"Astronomers therefore have to include the effects of precession to ensure that long-term predictions of celestial motions are accurate. The gravity of the Sun and Moon work together on the Earth's tilted axis, causing it to gradually shift.

"Every 26,000 years it slews slowly round in a circle, much like a spinning top wobbling around on a table. This additional motion is almost imperceptible on everyday timescales but over centuries it adds up."
But if you read the rest of the article on the BBC they explain that the shift only affects the Indian zodiac and not the one we're used to in The West. This is the best part:
The publicising of the effect - and its use to dismiss astrology - represents the "incredible bigotry some members of the scientific community display towards astrology", says Cainer.

But for all those people that believe in astrology or set some kind of lesser emotional store on the signs of the zodiac, they can rest easy. The Tauruses are still Taurus and the Arieses are still Aries.
CRISIS AVERTED.

Edit: And yes The Witcher 2 is amazing. Playing it and then watching Game Of Thrones really augments the experience.

Bailey 87

I know, right? Fucking awesome game so far.

And you have a FEZ avatar. Grounds for marriage as far as I'm concerned.

How far are you in Witcher 2. I just got to chapter 2 and I'm so in love with the game. The story the beautiful graphics and the combat is top notch

I really should play FEZ but seeing Graham (gothpunk) having to pull out the notepad to solve some puzzles has me kind of scared to play the game :p

How far are you in Witcher 2. I just got to chapter 2 and I'm so in love with the game. The story the beautiful graphics and the combat is top notch

I really should play FEZ but seeing Graham (gothpunk) having to pull out the notepad to solve some puzzles has me kind of scared to play the game :p

I've only really just started Chapter 1, haha, love it though, looks and sounds lovely.

As for FEZ, yes you should be playing it and yes a pen and paper are basically a requirement if you want to completely finish it, but solving puzzles gives you a similar feeling of achievement found in games like Dark Souls.

Check out the OST in any case, it's great http://disasterpeace.com/album/fez

BeesEight

As for FEZ, yes you should be playing it and yes a pen and paper are basically a requirement if you want to completely finish it, but solving puzzles gives you a similar feeling of achievement found in games like Dark Souls.

I'm really considering getting Dark Souls despite the rumours of GFWL. I only played a few hours of the first but how does the second hold up?

I'm really considering getting Dark Souls despite the rumours of GFWL. I only played a few hours of the first but how does the second hold up?

Dark Souls is a great game... really, you'd have to give it a try to see for yourself, it's an acquired taste for many, but I personally love it.

Mumei

Most? No.

People in this topic earlier were looking for people of compatible signs to talk to, though. That's where most of the "are you fucking kidding me" seems to be coming from.

Not to mention, if you're on OKC, there's a lot of 18-23 gay guys who will only date their/compatible signs.

I realize it's just a hobby/idle amusement for most, but I feel like most of the people insulting astrology have run into the people who are completely obnoxious about it.

(And yes, I have cancelled a date because the guy kept talking about how our signs were incompatible and was "apprehensive, but wanted to have the date anyways." Not dealing with that superstitious bullshit.)

I think of it as an amusing diversion at times.

When the gay topic goes all superstitious and never any other times

I think of it as an amusing diversion at times.

When the gay topic goes all superstitious and never any other times

I remain open to the potential for things like Abhijna being possible :p Though it's more on the grounds that without any direct experience of my own (with such experience being possible to develop through the practice of meditation) it would be reflecting bias on my part to have an opinion on the matter having not met the requirements to experience it. At least that's the reasoning that I use to justify an agnostic position. Though I very frequently have experiences that I would liken to recalling past lives, with my current level of discipline the phenomenon is very inconsistent and unreliable so it isn't grounds for any sort of belief.

I don't know why I brought that up since it's entirely unrelated, but I personally tend to think that in instances like this where the means for developing this direct experiential realization of 'supranormal knowledge' is entirely accessible and not even steeped in the BS of esotericism, the reasonable position is actually to give it a fair chance. Though I don't really know why I'm talking about this, I just don't necessarily buy into the common belief that the materialist approach is the only thing that can be said to lead to 'knowledge'.

BeesEight

I remain open to the potential for things like Abhijna being possible :p Though it's more on the grounds that without any direct experience of my own (with such experience being possible to develop through the practice of meditation) it would be reflecting bias on my part to have an opinion on the matter having not met the requirements to experience it. At least that's the reasoning that I use to justify an agnostic position. Though I very frequently have experiences that I would liken to recalling past lives, with my current level of discipline the phenomenon is very inconsistent and unreliable so it isn't grounds for any sort of belief.

I don't know why I brought that up since it's entirely unrelated, but I personally tend to think that in instances like this where the means for developing this direct experiential realization of 'supranormal knowledge' is entirely accessible and not even steeped in the BS of esotericism, the reasonable position is actually to give it a fair chance. Though I don't really know why I'm talking about this, I just don't necessarily buy into the common belief that the materialist approach is the only thing that can be said to lead to 'knowledge'.

It is way to late to be responding to this, but I'll probably forget to later.

I find that Buddhist philosophy has some rather interesting perspectives. I'm gathering the materialist approach that you mention is akin to the scientific method - that of observation and experimentation. I don't think you have to necessarily prescribe to one field or the other, especially since the "materialist" approach is pretty upfront with its own inherent weaknesses and ability to prescribe any sort of claim to knowledge.

Hey y'all

Just wanted to let you know that I have been seeing the same guy for two weeks now. I feel comfortable around him and we have slept together twice so far and I guess I am getting use to it now. He is going to New York for like 5 days leaving this morning though.

It's nice to have such a stable and honest guy who seems to really care about me. :)

Delio

I have my first post in the new thread all worked out. It shall detail my fav type,history here and how fab I am. I shall also list my gaf men that I adore <3

Hey y'all

Just wanted to let you know that I have been seeing the same guy for two weeks now. I feel comfortable around him and we have slept together twice so far and I guess I am getting use to it now. He is going to New York for like 5 days leaving this morning though.

It's nice to have such a stable and honest guy who seems to really care about me. :)

That's great, Scott. Congrats.

As for me, thanks to OKCupid, I reconnected with a friend from High School. We've been texting for week. Yesterday and Thursday we hung out. Suffice to say I'm no longer virginal.

Yesterday he asked me to come over to his house and watch a movie. I got there and told him to put on Dr. Who S06E01. While it was playing, we laid on the bed. Eventually we started cuddling and then:

Quote to See

Bailey 87

Yesterday he asked me to come over to his house and watch a movie. I got there and told him to put on Dr. Who S06E01. While it was playing, we laid on the bed. Eventually we started cuddling and then:

Quote to See

:O that sounds like a fun first time. I got a couple questions I want to ask you.

Quote to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom