• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/WH Rumor: Microsoft dropping basically all Xbox One DRM, announcement today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gen is amazing already.

If this is true, and the machine will operate exactly like 360 does, then it becomes purchaseable again.

I wonder what Sony's counterpunch would be then?

This would be brilliant if true, but there's no way I'm getting my hopes up. MS were still defending their DRM just a few days ago, and a total 180 within such a short space of time seems ridiculous.

Still, as long as the Kinect bullshit stands, I won't buy one.

Hi. I know this i a first post, and you'll all likely brush this off - but it's pretty damned late here where I am, and I just got a frantic phonecall from my Microsoft Pr guy saying he's just been in a meeting and confirmed all of this.

Expect a blogpost/video from Don Mattrick himself in about 50 minutes confirming it all.

Hmmm...

This is freaking insane.

Drop the Kinect demands and I'll consider buying one down the road.

If they're really smart they'll just drop the Kinect being included with the console, and sell it at $399.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, should we kick MS while they're down and tell them to make Kinect optional?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really, really believe that the biggest reason MS is doing this is due to the preorder numbers. Virtually everywhere PS4 had the higher number (anecdotal evidence, sure).

It's funny how many are ready to jump back into bed with the company that was trying to bend you over. Sony came in like Bruce Willis with a samurai sword and sliced MS open while they were behind you ready to insert.

This is ridiculous. It's about games.
Go where the games you like are.

SpartanN92

Banned
time to start watching those xbox one exclusives again

Really dug some of those indy titles...shit like Ryse not so much

You'd be surprised if you actually played it. I got an opportunity to play the Ryse demo and it was GREAT! Complete system seller in my opinion.

Mindlog

Cut the price and baby... we got a stew goin'.
I was always open to the possibility of picking up a Schbönne as soon as enough exclusives interested me. This news will have a positive impact when it comes time to make that decisions.

For now I am still PC/PS4 -> PC Rift -> will I even want anything else?

Jobbs

Banned
I got the GB website to load for a second, and the headline is pretty unambiguous.

"Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies"

I don't think patty would say it like that if it weren't true.

PaulLFC

Are people so spineless that they would actually buy an Xbone if they backtrack the DRM? Way to go GAF.
Not seeing your issue here?

The reason(s) many wouldn't buy one were the online checks and the DRM. If those are removed, those reasons are gone.

If you mean "clearly MS tried this once, they'll try it again" then I see your point, but I guess that's up to individuals to decide how likely they think that is.

Personally if this news is true then my position would have gone from "not touching it with a ten foot pole" to "considering it if there are at least a few games I want to play that I can get nowhere else".

PS4 would still be first due to the cheaper price and it being more powerful.

Don't you usually try to do a bit of digging of your own before posting someone else's story? I thought most sites would require you to verify with your own sources before lending credibility to another publication's report?

But what would require actual journalism to be done.

RoKKeR

I still can't fathom this happening.

Microsoft has built this entire PR tornado about it's DRM, the used games thing, what the advantages are, how it's a console for the "future", the entire image of the damn console is around this connected, online experience.

Why Microsoft? I wanted to skip out on your console next generation and save my money. I won't forget your arrogance and disrespect for your customers, but I may buy one long after I buy a PS4.

WTF? If this happens, it should be seen as a good thing.

It will be a good thing - consumers will have better policies to deal with, a good precedent will have been set regarding community backlash, and gamers will have more choices next gen.

still though, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I was very much looking forward to seeing Microsoft market that thing post-launch.

WTF? If this happens, it should be seen as a good thing.

Not having the DRM shit, yes, that would be a good thing. But it shouldn't have been a fucking issue to begin with, god damn it.

It's absolutely mindblowing that it's now considered a fucking gift when a company (maybe) doesn't fuck you in the ass with all of its spiny tentacles at once.

Yes, because they had the opportunity to do this much, MUCH earlier on. Before the May 21st reveal. It also shows that all of the "innovation" and "advantages" that their used game and online DRM have was horse shit to begin with.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the console itself, but it shows that MS is malleable and clueless.

A move like this would actually show the exact opposite of what you're claiming. It puts them in better standing with consumers, shows they're listening, and can adapt to the market when needed. But hey, keep that salt coming.

Sblargh

Banned
Maybe the sites are reporting as a way to self-fulfill the prophecy?

Because not doing it after everyone is reporting is... well, a drop in a shit ocean at this point. Still, it is yet another drop.

bill0527

Too little too late, at least for launch.

IF this is true, and IF there isn't some kind of ToS fuckery they're going to try and slip in, I MAY decide to purchase one somewhere down the road. I mean, I have SEEN Titanfall, so I'll have to consider it at some point.

salty_giescyuh9.jpg

rofl

So, this is clearly due to Sony. Maybe they should have waited a bit longer to confirm?

This will definitely stop a lot of converts, it's amazing that MS even considered this, but I guess they really had to go through with it with Sony.

RMI

Banned
Are people so spineless that they would actually buy an Xbone if they backtrack the DRM? Way to go GAF.

Agreed.

If anything this being true would demonstrate that Microsoft really truly has no vision for what the future of their machine is supposed to be, and confirm that they are willing to misdirect and deceive their potential customers at any time.

zero fucking confidence in this company if this is true. They had a chance to prove everyone wrong with their flawed vision of the future, but now all they can do is hope to play catch-up. This is the equivalent of breaking up with someone and then begging for them to take you back. So pathetic.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Man, Giant Bomb's credibility would flush down the toilet if this isn't true.

Patrick Klepek really destroys websites when he goes through them?

He just waited for the last week.. :p

I still think that Microsoft should ask it's users the first time they turn their 360 on: Do you have proper Internet? Y/N

If the user says no, you can use all the used disks and trade and everything you want, but digital distribution games will be 60 dollars.

If the user says yes, you can only trade/gift/borrow digital purchases and they're all 40 bucks.

linkboy

I'll believe it when I see Capt. Nelson (I demoted him for being a moron) or Don Mattrick say they're dropping it.

Still not buying the system though.

Hi. I know this i a first post, and you'll all likely brush this off - but it's pretty damned late here where I am, and I just got a frantic phonecall from my Microsoft Pr guy saying he's just been in a meeting and confirmed all of this.

Expect a blogpost/video from Don Mattrick himself in about 50 minutes confirming it all.

itshappening.gif

Zaventem

I would love for this to be real. All the xbone ilovedrm people would be the biggest dickriders if true. Even so Microsoft will not be my main console for stating this is what they wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom