• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/WH Rumor: Microsoft dropping basically all Xbox One DRM, announcement today

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If they backtrack, then consumers won. They heard our complaints and changed.

In other words, they become a viable platform again.

How are you spinning this as a bad thing ("spineless")?

M$ something something evil something something read between the lines something something

Still don't see this changing a lot of pre-orders here. PS4 is more powerful AND a full $100 cheaper.

If they drop it below PS4 pricing... then things get interesting.

Karak

So how do people think Microsoft will spin this announcement? They're going to somehow have to keep all the benefits of the previous strategy alongside the new one. That's gonna be tough.

Giantbomb said that their source informed them that MS was actually listening. I mean...even if they had their hands over their ears they would have heard it. People will spin it negative but in the end they heard the dissatisfaction and if they change their policies than that is why.

This is so crazy a rumour that I'll say it's 100% not going to happen.

But it wouldn't be the first time that I've said something was 100% not going to happen and been wrong. Hope I'm wrong this time.

The 24 hour checki-in is thing that has to die, the other stuff can go away too, but I'll never buy an Xbox 1 if it needs a 24 hour check-in to play single player games.

darthbob

It's funny how many are ready to jump back into bed with the company that was trying to bend you over. Sony came in like Bruce Willis with a samurai sword and sliced MS open while they were behind you ready to insert.

Did you just equate a video game console to male rape?

Are you a fucking 12 year old?

troushers

2nd thought - are we also losing the meagre benefits? No more 10 people game sharing, no more complete installs, no more cloud saves?

Kinect ditching is the only thing left. Why bundle that crap anyway? We haven't seen nothing from it yet.

Most games are voice controlled just like the OS ui.
And completely mandatory in all the games i heard so far..

I mean if they showed like zoo tycoon working with it or horror games using the heartbeat sensor to monitor my mood im all in and buy it for $100 and only connect it when i want to play those games kinda like i do now with my kinect.

Hi. I know this i a first post, and you'll all likely brush this off - but it's pretty damned late here where I am, and I just got a frantic phonecall from my Microsoft Pr guy saying he's just been in a meeting and confirmed all of this.

Expect a blogpost/video from Don Mattrick himself in about 50 minutes confirming it all.

Please let it be true.

fi1ip

Fastest GAF thread in a long while.

This would be great for the industry, embarrassing for MS but still good for them in the long run.

So no drm AND we'll be able to digitally lend any game to 10 LIVE friends?

That is actually amazing. Like, this would make the One far more customer friendly than the PS4.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Agreed.

If anything this being true would demonstrate that Microsoft really truly has no vision for what the future of their machine is supposed to be, and confirm that they are willing to misdirect and deceive their potential customers at any time.

zero fucking confidence in this company if this is true. They had a chance to prove everyone wrong with their flawed vision of the future, but now all they can do is hope to play catch-up. This is the equivalent of breaking up with someone and then begging for them to take you back. So pathetic.

I agree with this.
If this ends up being true (and that's a big if), people still shouldn't support Microsoft. It shows they have no idea what they're doing and really hope people just lap up what they serve.

snack

Microsoft is backpedaling trying to win their fanbase over after losing most of them this past week at E3.

I know I am still going PS4 strong.

Whools

I trust Klepek, but I remain skeptical. I'd probably still get a PS4, I'm not buying a console for the first year or so, so I'll have a year of Plus games come the time I make my decision. Still, this puts MS foot back in the door.

2cd9Fme.gif

ascii42

I really, really believe that the biggest reason MS is doing this is due to the preorder numbers. Virtually everywhere PS4 had the higher number (anecdotal evidence, sure).

True, but weren't allocations lower as well. Granted, I guess only MS would know the exact numbers as far as preorders vs. allocations go.

Malvingt2

Hi. I know this i a first post, and you'll all likely brush this off - but it's pretty damned late here where I am, and I just got a frantic phonecall from my Microsoft Pr guy saying he's just been in a meeting and confirmed all of this.

Expect a blogpost/video from Don Mattrick himself in about 50 minutes confirming it all.

oh boy...

Hilti92

If this does not happen now, so many XBONE fans are going to be eating a ton of crow. They pretty much HAVE to do the shit now otherwise this hurts them even more.

jett

D-Member
All this means is that every fanboy and journalists and asshole who tried to argue in favor of these policies looks doubly foolish because they wasted that time defending something now everyone admits was a mistake including Microsoft and for what? Did they get paid for those days of pathetic defense? I hope they did.

If this comes to pass I expect a "Let's list all the people that have come off as hypocritical pieces of shit" thread.

LordCanti

Are people so spineless that they would actually buy an Xbone if they backtrack the DRM? Way to go GAF.

Why does it matter what the console makers announce before the console actually comes out, if they fix it in time for launch?

I mean, I still want Kinect out of the box and the price lowered $100, but my one other complaint was DRM. If they've fixed that...I'll buy one, when there are exclusives I want. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom