• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Megatron

Hope we get some games in NA as well next week. Never played Advance Wars so that'd be a good start.

Hoping for $6 games

Isn't that what they charge for Game Boy Color games? Probably unrealistic. I'm guessing $7.99 (same as SNES games)

cacildo

Really dont get why nintendo keeps charging high prices for VC games.

I bet they would sell a lot more and make a lot more money out of it AND remember a lot more people about old games and franchises if they just put really low prices

Kimppis

Haha, interesting discussion about SNES/GBA emulation on 3DS. :)

It's because the 3DS is not physically capable of properly emulating the GBA games.

The 3DS can't handle SNES games, let alone GBA ones.

After reading that I was like: "wat!? that's crazy!" I don't know much about emulation but I guess that makes sense if we are talking about absolutely perfect emulation. But yeah, they probably could emulate SNES just fine, in a way that most people wouldn't notice a thing, especially in slower games. It's Nintendo logic, though. They don't want our money, so be it. If it's really all about perfection, I suppose I can "honor" that. But to many posters here, it seems that there's just no excuse. EDIT: Many think that there's simply more behind this "GBA/SNES on 3DS" issue than just emulation problems. I agree with them. But in the end it doesn't matter. They are Nintendo. GBA and SNES VCs are not coming for 3DS. Period.

Heck, SNES emulation on Dreamcast is decent (many probably disagree). How is it on PSP? I've never owned the system.

Oh, and btw: if 3DS is "unable" to emulate GBA, how in the hell does the OG Wii have N64 VC?

boyshine

Some have probably touched on this, but it seems to me that the reason this is Wii U only is because we're seeing the first step of cross-platform VC, which will include their next portable - not 3DS, as it's not capable of running Wii U SW. You might be disappointed that 3DS is out, but it's better in the long run.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I still don't understand why they're doing GBA VC on Wii U

Ideally there would just be one VC. Separate VCs for each system is stupid. People still argue that the accounts are 'unified'.

You should buy games once and be able to play on all compatible hardware.

I bet they would sell a lot more and make a lot more money out of it AND remember a lot more people about old games and franchises if they just put really low prices

As an odd counterpoint: I actually think the high prices are fine (on one condition). Nintendo doesn't really want you to be playing a ton of cheap VC games. They compete for time for the new and more expensive content. They would rather you spend 50 on Mario 3D world than 10 on super mario world... That said... The high prices are only tolerable if once purchased you can keep these games forever. they are forever tied to your nintendo account and are hardware agnostic. If you buy an NES game once, you can redownload it and play it on all your future Nintendo hardware.

Some have probably touched on this, but it seems to me that the reason this is Wii U only is because we're seeing the first step of cross-platform VC, which will include their next portable - not 3DS, as it's not capable of running Wii U SW. You might be disappointed that 3DS is out, but it's better in the long run.

I really really hope you are right, but I have my doubts because well, nintendo. If true, I might buy nintendo hardware again.

Sendou

Whether they should have it or not, doesn't matter. The fight came to them. You know who tackled that fight? Know who fought against free? Valve. Now who won that fight? Valve.

Nintendo is fighting their own fight now. One of their own making (VC as a concept is great and Sony has proven its great) and one knocking at their door.

It's just decade+ old emulated games. I'd like to see some numbers just how much money Sony is making off selling their back catalog.

Semajer

I'm not interested in this in the slightest unless they start localising and releasing titles that weren't previously.

I want Wario Ware Twisted, Fire Emblem 6, Mother 1+2, Mother 3, and Rhythm Tengoku. I also want the games with Japan exclusive content to be updated, like difficulty modes for Metroid Fusion, or the Japanese Advance Wars portraits as alternate costumes in AW1.

But this isn't going to happen, and I can't see them adding or maintaining multiplayer modes, or online either. The Virtual Console is only going to get more dire as more modern games are released, they'll only continue to lose features and cripple many games.

After reading that I was like: "wat!? that's crazy!" I don't know much about emulation

Oh, and btw: if 3DS is "unable" to emulate GBA, how in the hell does the OG Wii have N64 VC?

Joe86 said it. It is crazy
The better question is, if the 3DS "can't" emulate GBA games by some means, how did they make it run 10 GBA games for the ambassador program. But I've had that argument before, so I'll just save everyone the time, it's apparently because "they don't want to sell things that disable streetpass functionality". You know, despite them having no trouble selling DSiware software which does exactly that.

It's a marketing move to try and get people to buy a wii u and no more than that. (And it's having the reverse effect on me, I'm not buying any GBA software on wii u period because I'd much rather have it on my 3DS).

Advance wars, for instance, is a bad first choice. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game/series, but I can't help but imagine the entire fog of war multiplayer mode (the best part of the game!) will be virtually impossible to prevent screenlooking as a result of it being on a hugeass tv rather than a handheld you pass around.

SuomiDude

It's a marketing move to try and get people to buy a wii u and no more than that.
Funny, because the GBA VC was confirmed for Wii U over a year ago when Nintendo didn't have any idea if the console would sell well or not. They announced it so that even more people would get to play these games. And since Wii U could do good GBA emulation, they chose it of course.

Always wanted to play the first AW game as a kid but never found a copy of it whenever I had interest so this is a definite sale, no price yet but I doubt it'll be over £10.

For once, I have to agree with you.

The emulation for the Wii was almost perfect, so how come it has now gone a complete 180 on the Wii U's hardware?

Actually, NES games on the original Wii were dark too. The reason for that was so they can maintain their original color palette when viewed on a CRT through RF/Composite connections, as most games were designed with this limitation in mind. I assume GBA emulation is done in much the same way because games were designed with the original's very dark screen which required overly bright palettes to be used in many games. The dark thing isn't an emulation flaw, but an intentional choice. Of course that doesn't mean everyone will like it; I hated that NES games were dark for a long time, but eventually I kind of understood why after going back to emulators where the colors looked to garish in comparison.

Funny, because the GBA VC was confirmed for Wii U over a year ago when Nintendo didn't have any idea if the console would sell well or not. They announced it so that even more people would get to play these games. And since Wii U could do good GBA emulation, they chose it of course.

The 3DS can do good GBA emulation. Source: The 10 gba games already playable on 3DS. Nintendo "announced" wii u support for GBA games in the infamous panic direct where they announced a ton of things that they had barely even started working on in a poor attempt to make up for the incoming drought, right after it had become obvious (and they realised) the console was going belly up.

And you can't spot the fallacy in releasing on wii u instead of 3DS in the "They want more people to get to play them!" argument?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The 3DS can do good GBA emulation. Source: The 10 gba games already playable on 3DS. Nintendo "announced" wii u support for GBA games in the infamous panic direct where they announced a ton of things that they had barely even started working on in a poor attempt to make up for the incoming drought, right after it had become obvious (and they realised) the console was going belly up.

And you can't spot the fallacy in releasing on wii u instead of 3DS in the "They want more people to get to play them!" argument?

Ambassador games were running in 3DS' DS mode's GBA mode. So basically hardware. Not software emulation.

Not that I don't think GBA emulation on 3DS is impossible though. They probably can't bother budgeting for it.

Also, I think how the Ambassador games were done would be acceptable to quite a few people.

As for me buying some GBA games for the WiiU? Maaaaybe Fire Emblem.

Can't wait for that unified account, cross-buy, and hybrid system so you can play ANY VC games on the big screen or on the go~ (wishful thinking)

So many pages of people just bitching over and over that these won't be on 3DS...as if the bitching is going to accomplish anything. Just be happy that they're coming to SOMETHING. I am :)

So many pages of people just bitching over and over that these won't be on 3DS...as if the bitching is going to accomplish anything. Just be happy that they're coming to SOMETHING. I am :)

"Oh thank goodness, at least it's SOMETHING!" Is that what we as Nintendo fans are reduced to?

Stratostar

GgQUImM.gif
I think I have a new favorite gif

People shouldn't have to get annoyed because they're putting handheld games on consoles. It's crazy that shit like this isn't cross buy on Nintendo's platforms yet.

Oersted

Absolutely noone caught that new pricing model announcement.

I have a Wii U and would rather play GBA games on my TV so...no?

I have both and I'd rather have cross buy, like I do with my PS3 and Vita. GBA games on my TV hurt my eyes when I did it with GBA player back in the Gamecube days.

I just mean that I'd rather have them on something rather than nothing and, for me, the Wii U is actually the preferred option.

To each their own for sure, but I can't even get 10 feet from my WiiU before my tablet starts crapping out.

I have both and I'd rather have cross buy, like I do with my PS3 and Vita. GBA games on my TV hurt my eyes when I did it with GBA player back in the Gamecube days.

To each their own for sure, but I can't even get 10 feet from my WiiU before my tablet starts crapping out.

Absolutely. No one is as peeved at Nintendo about their asinine policies as I am but I'm not so bitter that I greet EVERY bit of news with derision.

hughesta

Banned
But not the 3DS...

Fuck you Nintendo.
"Wii U has no games!"
*Wii U gets games*
"I don't want a Wii U, fuck you Nintendo!"

Not talking about you specifically, just a general trend I've noticed.

The more games, the better! Bring em on, Nintendo!

trixx

The enitre virtual console is a mess in my opinion, from the prices to the release dates. Why was it a good idea to release gameboy advance before nintendo 64 virtual console? Why are they developing a ds virtual console? Why are we paying $8-10 for snes games in 2014, dont you think if prices were cheaper more would buy it? How is it possible to run gba emuator on a psp and on a symbian phone(not even talking about android) and yet a 3ds cannot run it?

There is so much potential in the virtual console system but it's like they don't even realize it. Props to them for making it integrative with miiverse and supporting off-tv play, those are like the only thing i've enjoyed.

cacildo

As an odd counterpoint: I actually think the high prices are fine (on one condition). Nintendo doesn't really want you to be playing a ton of cheap VC games. They compete for time for the new and more expensive content. They would rather you spend 50 on Mario 3D world than 10 on super mario world... That said... The high prices are only tolerable if once purchased you can keep these games forever. they are forever tied to your nintendo account and are hardware agnostic. If you buy an NES game once, you can redownload it and play it on all your future Nintendo hardware.

To be fair, i think the more VC games you have, the less VC games you will play.
I have 3 VC games that i got outside of the 30c promotion:

Earthbound (paid full TEN bucks on it),
Mega Men X (on the $2 deal)
and Link to the Past (got it on Wii on club nintendo, then 1,50 to upgrade)

I finished the 3 games. I got the Hadouken in MMX. In fact im yet to finish LTTP, im walking around the map to make the game last more.
I have SEVERAL hours spent on these 3 games

Yet the 30c games.... i played once, twice, and never touched again. I played Super Metroid more times, but never got to finish it.

I think the more VC games you have, the less VC games you will play

Absolutely noone caught that new pricing model announcement.

Wh-w-wha-what? What new pricing model?

"Wii U has no games!"
*Wii U gets games*
"I don't want a Wii U, fuck you Nintendo!"

Not talking about you specifically, just a general trend I've noticed.

The more games, the better! Bring em on, Nintendo!

Not at all what's being said. People are wondering WTF is going on when they have a mountain of games that they can release, right now, and they're releasing portable games for a home console.

Absolutely. No one is as peeved at Nintendo about their asinine policies as I am but I'm not so bitter that I greet EVERY bit of news with derision.

Eh, I don't think everything they do is bad...matter of fact their indie content is downright nice. It's just that when they do things like this while the competition is leaps and bounds ahead, everyone wonders why they don't do what's really obvious and just cash in by giving fans what they want.

dreamfall

Whoa, Advance Wars?!

That is an awesome first step.

I really do wish they'd make a greater push to put more n64/GBA/GBC titles on VC, but maybe this will inspire new changes? That's a great game to re-introduce!

Top Bottom