• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

R0ckman

This had better be a sign of things to come, I'm dying for a new Advance Wars. Such a wasted opportunity when they're scrambling for tablet uses and the most logical one is staring them in the face.

With how they treated Days of Ruin in Japan and with how much Fire Emblem Awakening was a success, I doubt we'll ever see another AW again. :(

jimi_dini

I concede with that. Not entirely sure what they're doing with those filters.

Complain about the type of filter. But it makes sense to use a filter. The games were built for CRTs, not for LCD/LED/Plasmas. Which means if you can see single pixels, emulation is not perfect as in "it doesn't look like it looked back then". The player wasn't supposed to see single pixels.

Some people like that, sure. But it's not accurate.

The Ambassador games show that it's possible.

The ambassador games show that it's somewhat possible, but not well done. I personally don't want to pay a few EUR for half-assed games. If I wanted that, I would get Ubisoft HD collections on PS3.

Nintendo makes it so difficult to defend them when considering their seemingly irrational Virtual Console release strategy. It is like they have one restless intern sitting in a dark cubicle and in charge of porting VC titles.

Oersted

Do you know what vitriol is? All I see is disappointment that GBA games aren't being added to the 3DS Virtual Console, which is, you know, a portable device. As for me, I don't really mind playing playing the games on my big screen TV. I do, however, mind paying money for games that look worse than they do on emulators from 2003. I love the whole "accurate emulation" excuse people use to justify the terrible picture quality, when even the GameBoy Player puts this to shame.

The GB player was a Game Boy.

Sendou

Cool. Never played the first Advance Wars. Not paying something like 15€ for this Nintendo though. Anything over 10€ is too much for a digital GameBoy Advance games these days.

Just give me Superstar Saga, Nintendo. I will be a happy man.

They already confirmed it was coming.

Nintendo makes it so difficult to defend them when considering their seemingly irrational Virtual Console release strategy. It is like they have one restless intern sitting in a dark cubicle and in charge of porting VC titles.

Those people don't exist. VC is where it is because Nintendo hasn't been putting any resources towards it. It's not a priority for them.

JoeM86

He's the administrator of the largest Pokemon fansite on the internet. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have an agenda.

I'm just a fanboy :p I love Nintendo with all of my heart, and that does sometimes make me a bit bias. I don't have an agenda.

GBA must be really a tough beast to emulate... I remember GBA games running pretty badly even on GameCube's Game Boy Player.

Well a SNES is hard to accurately emulate, as seen in that link I provided earlier. Emulation is a tricky business if you're going for accurate.

If that's the case, then it's because Nintendo are too fucking cheap and/or lazy to do it properly, and aren't willing to put the effort into doing anything that isn't a simple copy and paste job. The Ambassador games show that it's possible.

If the Virtual Console doesn't allow for GBA games, then they need a fucking new system that does.

As has been stated here, the Ambassador games have emulation issues, run in a haphazard way of GBA mode through DS mode, lock out 3DS features including sleep mode. It's a different beast to properly emulate them.
Just give me Superstar Saga, Nintendo. I will be a happy man.

Already confirmed to be coming this April :)

Your position here, as elsewhere, is "Based on Nintendo's judgment, Nintendo's judgment is good."

I wouldn't really go that far. People just have unrealistic expectations. If something is not possible, then it's not possible and it's a bit ridiculous to have such over-reactions that have been in this thread.

I do apologise if I have been confrontational though, and shall desist but only provide facts in this thread from here-on.

mclem

Why is Nintendo so against releasing the older Pokemon games on the VC?

Makes no sense. Look at the popularity of TPP.

I don't think they want to do it without sorting out the connectivity aspect, and that's an extra complication which almost certainly requires some dedicated development time.

JoeM86

And? Isn't that what an emulator is supposed to do? I really hope this is a case where the screenshots of the game look worse than the game itself. Nintendo has done this with VC games in the past.

Possible, but the screenshots they've posted of Wii U emulated GBA games are pretty nice

iHjCIzSDJnTqY.jpg

ibpSruJlTyVB2s.jpg

mclem

hope they release wario ware twisted :) (grand father of the waggle)

Would require special handling of the unique hardware, but it'd be glorious to have it available for the first time in Europe. Mind you, you'd absolutely *have* to play it on the pad, there; it wouldn't work, conceptually, on a TV.

udivision

I don't think they want to do it without sorting out the connectivity aspect, and that's an extra complication which almost certainly requires some dedicated development time.

Or just not have it. Red/Blue on the VC would have a lot in common with B2/W2 come May 20th...

And? Isn't that what an emulator is supposed to do?

No, what Oersted means is they made a Game Boy that could plug into a SNES (and later a GBA that could plug into a GameCube).

Emulation tries to make a Game Boy game run on a Wii U. Since the comptuing hardware isn't the same, getting that environment to run correctly requires some pretty precise tuning. Very different.

RiggyRob

And? Isn't that what an emulator is supposed to do? I really hope this is a case where the screenshots of the game look worse than the game itself. Nintendo has done this with VC games in the past.

Think of it as the GameBoy Advance player is to the GBA as the Vita TV is to the Vita.

JoeM86

You posted a screenshot where Mario's scleras and gloves are gray instead of white. That's a troubling sign of things to come.

Also true. I think that's the filter that counters the over-brightening that existed in early GBA games due to the lack of any illumination on the screen. It is a shame, though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wouldn't really go that far. People just have unrealistic expectations. If something is not possible, then it's not possible and it's a bit ridiculous to have such over-reactions that have been in this thread.

Look, here is Nintendo's reality. They are in a world where people can download an emulator, play their games on phones with enough accuracy that they are satisfied in doing so. This gives Nintendo zero money and people zero incentive to buy their product ever again.

If they want any hope in combating this, they should get to work. Because they're losing. Or they have already lost.

People have shown that they are willing to pay for good quality if the price is right. I'm not saying Nintendo has to compromise the worth of their IPs, but their stance is shown to be complete bullshit.

Pociask

But it IS possible. There are no "facts" that say otherwise. Your only point is to say that Nintendo wants us all to have glorious perfect emulation, in the face of evidence that Nintendo doesn't really care about glorious perfect emulation. You/someone else? also made the point about Nintendo caring deeply about connectivity of these older games - as if this wasn't the same Nintendo that is shutting down the still active Wii & DS servers.

Nintendo just doesn't care about virtual console. Full stop. It's a side job they put people in Japan on when they have spare time. Then, when people in NOE or NOA have spare time (whose primary job is porting over eShop stuff), those people port over the VC games. The end. It's a sad tale of glorious hope, dashed by Nintendo not wanting to spend any money at all on the service.

The current VC services (or lack of service) boils down to Nintendo's budget priorities - it has nothing to do with the technical feasibility of the 3DS. And right now, with Wii U sales flailing, their budget prioirty is to boost their sinking console. So Wii U gets the budget request for GBA emulation approved. That's probably like, half of what Nintendo plans to spend on VC for all systems for the year. Hooray! Enjoy the bare bones, no feature added ports of your handheld games on your home console. Don't complain about lacking any features emulators were sporting over a decade, ago, though - they're going for accuracy - except for the features they did add, those are just Nintendo being SO AWESOME.

Sendou

Look, here is Nintendo's reality. They are in a world where people can download an emulator, play their games on phones with enough accuracy that they are satisfied in doing so. This gives Nintendo zero money and people zero incentive to buy their product ever again.

If they want any hope in combating this, they should get to work. Because they're losing. Or they have already lost.

People have shown that they are willing to pay for good quality if the price is right. I'm not saying Nintendo has to compromise the worth of their IPs, but their stance is shown to be complete bullshit.

What makes you think this is a fight they should have? Hard to compete against free you know. I'd rather have them working on completely different aspects that emulation. Luckily this seems to be the case.

JoeM86

But it IS possible. There are no "facts" that say otherwise. You're only point is to say that Nintendo wants us all to have glorious perfect emulation, in the face of evidence that Nintendo doesn't really care about gloriosu perfect emulation. You/someone else? also made the point about Nintendo caring deeply about connectivity of these older games - as if this wasn't the same Nintendo that is shutting down the still active Wii & DS servers.

Nintendo just doesn't care about virtual console. Full stop. It's a side job they put people in Japan on when they have spare time. Then, when people in NOE or NOA have spare time (whose primary job is porting over eShop stuff), those people port over the VC games. The end. It's a sad tale of glorious hope, dashed by Nintendo not wanting to spend any money at all on the service.

The current VC services (or lack of service) boils down to Nintendo's budget priorities - it has nothing to do with the technical feasibility of the 3DS. And right now, with Wii U sales flailing, their budget prioirty is to boost their sinking console. So Wii U gets the budget request for GBA emulation approved. That's probably like, half of what Nintendo plans to spend on VC for all systems for the year. Hooray! Enjoy the bare bones, no feature added ports of your handheld games on your home console. Don't complain about lacking any features emulators were sporting over a decade, ago, though - they're going for accuracy - except for the features they did add, those are just Nintendo being SO AWESOME.

Again, it's possible in the most haphazard way which is against what they are doing with the Virtual Console and has issues. When even Sleep Mode is disabled in order to get it working, you know there's severe limitations.

Galdelico

The GBA Player wasn't an emulator, it had actual GBA components in it.

I'm aware of this, but still there must have been some emulation element in it, since all the games I ran on that thing perfomed significantly worse on my TV, compared to how they did on the actual GBA.

Mlatador

Banned
Playing GBA games on the big Wii U Gamepad screen? Count me in!

I'm curious to see how the upscaling will look like and whether or not there will be an option to toggle between upscaled and 1:1 pixel resolution.

Robin64

I'm aware of this, but still there must have been some emulation element in it, since all the games I ran on that thing perfomed significantly worse on my TV, compared to how they did on the actual GBA

Most of the issues were a result of the games being displayed on a TV. For example, F-Zero used an extremely fast flicker effect to make its maps appear transparent. On a TV, you see the map as flickery, because that's really what's happening. But it looks completely wrong.

Pociask

Again, it's possible in the most haphazard way which is against what they are doing with the Virtual Console and has issues. When even Sleep Mode is disabled in order to get it working, you know there's severe limitations.

So let's get this straight. When 3DS features for DS games don't work, that's not good, but when Nintendo refuses to release games because they don't mirror the exact experience of playing it on the old hardware (which lacked those new features), that is good?

Or put another way, shouldn't Nintendo be eager to release GBA games that lack sleep mode on the 3DS? That's the accurate emulation they're striving for, right?

The current VC services (or lack of service) boils down to Nintendo's budget priorities - it has nothing to do with the technical feasibility of the 3DS. And right now, with Wii U sales flailing, their budget prioirty is to boost their sinking console. So Wii U gets the budget request for GBA emulation approved.

I think it has less to do with "prop up Wii U" and more to do with the fact that people keep asking for Iwata's head because of the lack of game portability between devices.

And since their current platforms aren't designed with portability between devices in mind, and 3DS definitely isn't the better candidate from which to build a future-proof/device-portable architecture... The fact of the matter is that Nintendo is not investing in either of their currently sinking ships (guess what: 3DS, like Wii U in the console space, is tracking to be the worst-selling Nintendo handheld ever) - they are investing in the future.

Satoru Iwata said:
[C]urrently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms.
[...]
In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

This behavior should, if anything, be encouraged.

Galdelico

Most of the issues were a result of the games being displayed on a TV. For example, F-Zero used an extremely fast flicker effect to make its maps appear transparent. On a TV, you see the map as flickery, because that's really what's happening. But it looks completely wrong.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What makes you think this is a fight they should have? Hard to compete against free you know. I'd rather have them working on completely different aspects that emulation. Luckily this seems to be the case.

Whether they should have it or not, doesn't matter. The fight came to them. You know who tackled that fight? Know who fought against free? Valve. Now who won that fight? Valve.

Nintendo is fighting their own fight now. One of their own making (VC as a concept is great and Sony has proven its great) and one knocking at their door.

Morts

There's a ton of GBA games I'd love to play on the gamepad. I can't wait to be frustrated every Thursday that they aren't being released.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hope this doesn't have the same blurring and brightness problems that the GBA games had on 3DS, but the picture in the OP looks very dim.

To me the Ambassador GBA titles were unplayable, it was like going back to the non-backlit OG GBA.

JoeM86

I hope this doesn't have the same blurring and brightness problems that the GBA games had on 3DS. To me they were unplayable, it was like going back to the non-backlit OG GBA.

I don't think it will. It's one of the things that the single emulator finetuned for each game can solve rather than loading the game in DS mode through the console's RAM.

Just have to wait and see though

Mr-Joker

Banned
Or just not have it. Red/Blue on the VC would have a lot in common with B2/W2 come May 20th...

No it won't Gen 4 and 5 can still be traded locally meaning you still can get all the Pokémon, especially those that are version exclusive or require trading to evolve something that can't be done for gen 1 and 2.

Furthermore the Pokémon in gen 4 and 5 can be transferred over to gen 6 whereas the Pokémon in gen 1 and 2 can't go any further than gen 2 as Game Freak cut them off the connection in gen 3.

You can still connect locally to another, right?

Yes you can, you just won't be able to trade or battle on-line. Which to be honest isn't a problem since those Pokémon can be transferred to gen 6.

Top Bottom