• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

I literally can´t wait for the 3DS´ successor.

One of the best things the Vita has going for it is the "backwards compatibility" with PSOne games .

SNES, N64, GBA and DS games on one handheld + native 4DS/ HD DS games.

Oh my !

MarkusRJR

It looks like it still has the weird contrast issues the ambassador 3DS GBA VC games has. Hopefully the horrible motion blurring is gone. Made side scrollers nearly impossible to play well.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hopefully this means a brand new Advance Wars is on the way.

Draconian

It was expecting way too much out of NoA for this to come out here too next week wasn't it? So glad we're getting just about every game months after PAL now.

Somnid

OFLC already rated a couple of Namco GBA titles.

How far does a couple go? 2 weeks? I think they'll keep to a 1 game a week clip unless a lot of support jumps onboard at once and they need to put out releases for multiple pubs per week.

RiggyRob

Here's hoping they translate Fire Emblem Fuuin No Tsurugi and release it on Virtual Console.

It wasn't even released in NA like Earthbound was, it ain't gonna happen.

I suggest people read this

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

It explains the difference between emulating games, and accurately emulating games and how it requires a lot of power. Nintendo wants things to be perfect with their Virtual Console. They want the experience to match that of how it was originally released. Just doing blind "acceptable" emulation is against Nintendo's ethos.

This is commendable in theory, much less in practice, when they release 50Hz versions with stuttering, frameskipping and unreliable controls that weren't obviously anywhere to be found in the original games.

Not to speak of how cheap in general is their effort with VC, especially considering the price thay ask for each game.

Get a look at M2's Capcom Arcade Cabinet or even their Sega 3d classics series on 3ds. They could not be "accurate" emulation in the sense you mean, but they're damn fine conversions full of extras and customization and well worth the money they cost.

It's because the 3DS is not physically capable of properly emulating the GBA games.

The way the ambassador programme worked had the GBA games load in GBA mode in DS mode, with no 3DS features; no save states, no reset, no virtual console controls, no online access. This is not acceptable and there were even emulation issues.

The 3DS can't handle SNES games, let alone GBA ones.

I'm pretty sure the 3DS is capable of SNES emulation ie there are SNES emulators for DS. The accurate way of putting this is that it's not cost effective for Nintendo to do it.

JoeM86

This is commendable in theory, much less in practice, when they release 50Hz versions with stuttering, frameskipping and unreliable controls that weren't obviously anywhere to be found in the original games.

Not to speak of how cheap in general is their effort with VC, especially considering the price thay ask for each game.

Get a look at M2's Capcom Arcade Cabinet or even their Sega 3d classics series on 3ds. They could not be "accurate" emulation in the sense you mean, but they're damn fine conversions full of extras and customization and well worth the money they cost.

The 50hz issue I agree with, though I can actually see a logic to it. Releasing that in Europe is releasing it exactly the same way it was on its initial launch in Europe. Its a horrible idea, but I can see the initial logic to it. They have stopped that for the most part, however.

That's the thing Nintendo is striving for, for complete accurate representation of the game upon its initial launch, with the added Virtual Console features of save states, control customisation etc. that exist now.

The amount of vitriol here based on a game announcement.

I think that just comes with the subject of Virtual Console in general though. It's a great idea that has been so poorly executed that tempers run pretty high when it is brought up; myself included.

Also, why are those screenshots so fucking dark?

botty

Banned
Do people not read the whole thread before posting? It has been explained many times why the GBA games aren't hitting the 3DS virtual consoles.

Whether it has been explained or not, it is inexcusable to have such a short sighted mishap on their hands. How do you create a handheld that can not even efficiently run your handheld games from two gens prior? It just makes you wonder if the tech guys at Nintendo can think beyond two years when developing hardware. Even if people are ignorantly throwing heat at Nintendo for this, you have to admit that it's a pretty damn astounding—or rather confusing move.

JoeM86

Indeed. Facts given, people ignore it and say they should work around it and are incompetent for not doing so.

I've even be accosted on Twitter by someone here, who made a random account just for the intent of countering me there rather than here.

I look at the NES games on my Wii U and I can't confirm your statement. :(

I concede with that. Not entirely sure what they're doing with those filters.

Whether it has been explained or not, it is inexcusable to have such a short sighted mishap on their hands. How do you create a handheld that can not even efficiently run your handheld games from two gens prior? It just makes you wonder if the tech guys at Nintendo can think beyond two years when developing hardware. Even if people are ignorantly throwing heat at Nintendo for this, you have to admit that it's a pretty damn astounding—or rather confusing move.

PS4 can't run PS2 games, or even PS3 games. Changes in the architecture of hardware result in things such as this. It's not something Nintendo was short-sighted with, it's a fact of software on hardware.

I look at the NES games on my Wii U and I can't confirm your statement. :(

Filters, which I'm sure is what you're referring to, don't have an impact on the quality of the emulation though. I hate the blurriness too, but the games themselves seem to run flawlessly.

I can't resist Advance Wars but I'm with everyone else asking why Wii U and not 3DS.

Are we going to get GC VC on 3DS next to complete this carnival of stupid?

JoeM86

Filters, which I'm sure is what you're referring to, don't have an impact on the quality of the emulation though. I hate the blurriness too, but the games themselves seem to run flawlessly.

The filters could be an attempt to emulate the look of an 80s CRT TV, but that's just reaching for an explanation. I have none :p

I can't resist Advance Wars but I'm with everyone else asking why Wii U and not 3DS.

Are we going to get GC VC on 3DS next to complete this carnival of stupid?

It has been explained numerous times why it's on Wii U and not 3DS.

The 50hz issue I agree with, though I can actually see a logic to it. Releasing that in Europe is releasing it exactly the same way it was on its initial launch in Europe. Its a horrible idea, but I can see the initial logic to it. They have stopped that for the most part, however.

Unfortunately, it isn't. The way WiiU VC works right now, the game running internally at 50Hz and then being forced to output at 60Hz via pulldown conversion, is totally fucked up, doesn't make any sense and doesn't resemble the original game in any way. Pal cartridge games were steady 50Hz, not this mess.

Do you know what vitriol is? All I see is disappointment that GBA games aren't being added to the 3DS Virtual Console, which is, you know, a portable device. As for me, I don't really mind playing playing the games on my big screen TV. I do, however, mind paying money for games that look worse than they do on emulators from 2003. I love the whole "accurate emulation" excuse people use to justify the terrible picture quality, when even the GameBoy Player puts this to shame.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Might make sense in the long term.
If the next hand held will be based on the same tech as the WiiU.
And if Nintendo is making it so that any device you own from them in the future
can play any of the VC games you downloaded.

As the rate the worldwide markets are going, their "next handheld" may be too late.

sörine

Banned
Starting out strong. Advance Wars 1 might be the best game on GBA overall.

I do hope there's more than one offering for launch though. Japan is so spoiled with Virtual Console.

I'm pretty sure the 3DS is capable of SNES emulation ie there are SNES emulators for DS. The accurate way of putting this is that it's not cost effective for Nintendo to do it.
Namco Bandai released several emulated SNES games on 3DS already. The system is pretty likely capable given it's already happened.

I'm not sure there's a good argument against cost effictiveness either given the premium of VC pricing and the sales rankings we tend to see for the more popular franchises. $8-10 Mario World, Super Metroid, ALTTP and Earthbound would each sell a ton on 3DS VC.

The filters could be an attempt to emulate the look of an 80s CRT TV, but that's just reaching for an explanation. I have none :p

It has been explained numerous times why it's on Wii U and not 3DS.

There is no excuse for the filters. SNES games don't have them, and even NES games on the original Wii didn't have them. It makes zero sense to me.

JoeM86

sörine;105712106 said:
Namco Bandai released several emulated SNES games on 3DS already. The system is pretty likely capable given it's already happened.

Were those games not ported rather than emulated?

For the emulation of their games, Nintendo doesn't settle for "acceptable", they demand perfection, which is why every game comes with its own emulator, which has been fine tuned for that particular release.

I don't really know how you keep getting away with this garbage. 80% of the N64 games on the Wii Virtual Console were butchered to hell and back and Nintendo still released them. No save states, no memory card, no rumble... they were as barebones as possible and yet they were thrown onto the service at a premium price. It's going to be funny when Nintendo still charges $9.99 for Mario Kart 64, as if the game hasn't lost a penny of its value since 2007.

Once again, this kind of pisses me off. Makes absolutely no sense that this isn't on the 3DS as well. None. The reason doesn't matter. No sense.

Yeah. There are very few GBA games I want to play on my TV (maybe the Golden Sun games, but that's it), but I'd probably buy a lot on 3DS.

If the only reason for them not being on 3DS is because it would take away the exclusivity of the Ambassador games, then that's absolute bullshit. And I say that as somebody with the ambassador GBA games.

JoeM86

Yeah. There are very few GBA games I want to play on my TV (maybe the Golden Sun games, but that's it), but I'd be all over these if they were on 3DS.

If the only reason for them not being on 3DS is because it would take away the exclusivity of the Ambassador games, then that's absolute bullshit. And I say that as somebody with the ambassador GBA games.

That's not the reason. The reason is that the 3DS is not capable of it. The ambassador games are done in such a haphazard way. The proper Virtual Console method is just not feasible on the 3DS due to different structure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For the emulation of their games, Nintendo doesn't settle for "acceptable", they demand perfection, which is why every game comes with its own emulator, which has been fine tuned for that particular release.
That's not the reason. The reason is that the 3DS is not capable of it. The ambassador games are done in such a haphazard way. The proper Virtual Console method is just not feasible on the 3DS due to different structure.

Your position here, as elsewhere, is "Based on Nintendo's judgment, Nintendo's judgment is good."

Chindogg

I'm just kinda curious, but does Joe develop games for Nintendo consoles? He seems to know a few things but Gonzo's calling bullshit and I'm curious to see who's right.

botty

Banned
PS4 can't run PS2 games, or even PS3 games. Changes in the architecture of hardware result in things such as this. It's not something Nintendo was short-sighted with, it's a fact of software on hardware.

If Wii U has GBA emulation then they must have considered it during the console's development, unlike with 3DS, which most likely was targeted for over priced GB and NES games, and DS bc.

Also, Gonzo made a great point about Nintendo's "standards" on this issue.

I'm just kinda curious, but does Joe develop games for Nintendo consoles? He seems to know a few things but Gonzo's calling bullshit and I'm curious to see who's right.

He's the administrator of the largest Pokemon fansite on the internet. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have an agenda.

udivision

Y'know, I wonder why people keep suggesting that Nintendo should do a Netflix like service with hundreds of games when it's kind of obvious this is as fast as they can go. It's like asking why hasn't that baby, who can barely crawl, gone to the olympic tryouts.

khaaan

I don't even care that it's not on the 3DS, I'm super excited to see this come onto the WiiU and I'm going to enjoy playing it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Your position here, as elsewhere, is "Based on Nintendo's judgment, Nintendo's judgment is good."

The problem with Nintendo, as so often, is that they don't talk much about their reasons for what they do and don't do. So each side of the "discussion" is only arguing based on speculation.
The only fact we know is that the ambassador GBA games are only running in a featureless compatibility mode.

Galdelico

So you'd rather have games with severe emulation issues? Reduced/unstable frame rates, glitchy graphics, things not loading correctly etc.

Ok, to each their own. I much prefer Nintendo's strive for perfection.

GBA must be really a tough beast to emulate... I remember GBA games running pretty badly even on GameCube's Game Boy Player.

If that's the case, then it's because Nintendo are too fucking cheap and/or lazy to do it properly, and aren't willing to put the effort into doing anything that isn't a simple copy and paste job. The Ambassador games show that it's possible.

If the Virtual Console doesn't allow for GBA games, then they need a fucking new system that does.

Top Bottom