• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

While it's by far one of the best games on the system, it seems like an unusual game to begin with. I would have expected something from a more generally popular series.

They´ll announce Advance Wars: Awakening in the next Nintendo direct.

Now with 100% more waifus !

Believe !

It's because the 3DS is not physically capable of properly emulating the GBA games.

The way the ambassador programme worked had the GBA games load in GBA mode in DS mode, with no 3DS features; no save states, no reset, no virtual console controls, no online access. This is not acceptable and there were even emulation issues.

The 3DS can't handle SNES games, let alone GBA ones.

I don't buy it. If a single hmebrewer can get GBA emulation to the state it is on PSP, surely Nintendo can do the same or better on 3DS.

Drago

Hope we get some games in NA as well next week. Never played Advance Wars so that'd be a good start.

Hoping for $6 games

entremet

Why is Nintendo so against releasing the older Pokemon games on the VC?

Makes no sense. Look at the popularity of TPP.

Interesting that they're starting with Advance Wars.

Shame that the line up is one game (right? I'm not misreading?) when Japan is getting Super Mario World, WarioWare, Golden Sun, F-Zero and Advance Wars. Followed by the addition of The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi RPG, Wario Land 4, Mario Tennis Advance, and Metroid Fusion on the 30th.

JoeM86

I don't buy it. If a single hmebrewer can get GBA emulation to the state it is on PSP, surely Nintendo can do the same or better on 3DS.

For the emulation of their games, Nintendo doesn't settle for "acceptable", they demand perfection, which is why every game comes with its own emulator, which has been fine tuned for that particular release.

The way the homebrewers do things is just one emulator for all games with varying levels of success.

I mean hell, one made a rig that was over 3Ghz of processing power just to successfully emulate a SNES. This isn't something that is wasy or you can just dump a ROM into and hope for the best, especially if you're charging for it.

Shame that the line up is one game (right? I'm not misreading?) when Japan is getting Super Mario World, WarioWare, Golden Sun, F-Zero and Advance Wars. Followed by the addition of The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi RPG, Wario Land 4, Mario Tennis Advance, and Metroid Fusion on the 30th.

One game that we know of so far. There's bound to be more.

Because there would be no connectivity features and those are HUGE aspects of Pokémon. Without them, the games are useless and imperfect.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Shame that the line up is one game (right? I'm not misreading?) when Japan is getting Super Mario World, WarioWare, Golden Sun, F-Zero and Advance Wars.

They haven't said that Advance Wars will be the only game next week.

Somnid

It's likely going to take 3rd parties a few months to get up and going in the west (because they're all Japanese) whereas Japan will have them fairly immediately so they'll want to stretch what they have internally.

MDX

Very this. No sense.

Might make sense in the long term.
If the next hand held will be based on the same tech as the WiiU.
And if Nintendo is making it so that any device you own from them in the future
can play any of the VC games you downloaded.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Because they can get more money by releasing a remake and charging full price for it, plus they would have to waste time and money to get the game trading function to work.

Furthermore Game Freak likes the Pokémon games to have a connection with each other and allow you to move Pokémon from generation to generation something that gen 1 and 2 can not do and will never do.

JoeM86

This is also very true.

Futureproofing.

JoeM86

I suggest people read this

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

It explains the difference between emulating games, and accurately emulating games and how it requires a lot of power. Nintendo wants things to be perfect with their Virtual Console. They want the experience to match that of how it was originally released. Just doing blind "acceptable" emulation is against Nintendo's ethos.

It stuns me that people want Nintendo to half-arse something, when if they ever do, people trash them for half-arsing it

Gaogaogao

It's because the 3DS is not physically capable of properly emulating the GBA games.

The way the ambassador programme worked had the GBA games load in GBA mode in DS mode, with no 3DS features; no save states, no reset, no virtual console controls, no online access. This is not acceptable and there were even emulation issues.

The 3DS can't handle SNES games, let alone GBA ones.

im finding this hard to believe. they have to find a way to fix one or the other.

Thats a very good idea actually.

I could see Nintendo´s next handheld with a single screen too ( would make sense to adapt DS VC games to the Gamepad)

....Nintendo gonna Nintendo of course.....

JoeM86

im finding this hard to believe. they have to find a way to fix one or the other.

Read my previous post. It explains the difference between emulating and accurately emulating. Nintendo want this to be accurate.

It's not something that can be fixed. It's like trying to put a square peg into a circular hole.

Somnid

So you'd rather have games with severe emulation issues? Reduced/unstable frame rates, glitchy graphics, things not loading correctly etc.

Ok, to each their own. I much prefer Nintendo's strive for perfection.

There's a place where it's good enough. At the very least this isn't a good reason but there are probably other better reasons.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Read my previous post. It explains the difference between emulating and accurately emulating. Nintendo want this to be accurate.

It's not something that can be fixed. It's like trying to put a square peg into a circular hole.

They should make more power available via eshop. Find a solution. Everything is better than something being available on Wii U, don't you know that already? :D

Gaogaogao

So you'd rather have games with severe emulation issues? Reduced/unstable frame rates, glitchy graphics, things not loading correctly etc.

Ok, to each their own. I much prefer Nintendo's strive for perfection.

spend more time on the wii vc and go on about 'perfection'

JoeM86

They should make more power available via eshop. Find a solution. Everything is better than something being available on Wii U, don't you know that already? :D

Dear lord I hope you're being facetious :p

There's a place where it's good enough. At the very least this isn't a good reason but there are probably other better reasons.

Yeah, and the 3DS isn't capable of doing it to a point where it's good enough. Same with SNES games.

Somnid

Dear lord I hope you're being facetious :p

Yeah, and the 3DS isn't capable of doing it to a point where it's good enough. Same with SNES games.

It likely is, but it's not low hanging fruit. It's likely more about effort and priorities. If they're working on N64, DS and GBA for Wii U I seriously doubt they would even have the bandwidth to bother with it and it not would it provide as much benefit as what they are working on.

Oersted

It's likely going to take 3rd parties a few months to get up and going in the west (because they're all Japanese) whereas Japan will have them fairly immediately so they'll want to stretch what they have internally.

OFLC already rated a couple of Namco GBA titles.

JoeM86

It likely is, but it's not low hanging fruit. It's likely more about effort and priorities. If they're working on N64, DS and GBA for Wii U I seriously doubt they would even have the bandwidth to bother with it not would it provide as much benefit.

The only way I see it being possible is if they completely recode and port the GBA games, rather than emulate them.

GBA VC on 3DS may be pixel-perfect but it comes at a price. Others have said it's running in DS compatibility mode, but that's only half the picture: it's running in DS compatibility mode's GBA compatibility mode. It doesn't even recognize closing the screen. Not a resellable product.

Sadist

Well it's a good start. Wonder what they will ask for games. Guess it will be € 7 or something like that.

Top Bottom