• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Officially Cancelled (Update: Postponed for possible later date)

A knee jerk reaction to a not so deadly virus.

How many countries shut down travel or stopped public meetings for Ebola, aids, bird flu, swine flu, bCJD? Why is this one special?

When in the summer will GDC be o on? After E3?

prag16

Banned
You’re a fucking idiot if not taking this pandemic seriously. That is all.
This virus just isn't that serious. Period. The deaths are in the elderly and the severely immunocompromised (and so far in less developed countries than the US), and for those segments the typical seasonal flu is more dangerous than this is. And while the death toll and total number of cases is still climbing, the number of active cases has been falling for weeks now.

This is a media hype driven distraction. The virus is real, but the reaction in the US media is deliberately hyperbolic, probably in an effort to hurt Trump to be honest.

This virus just isn't that serious. Period. The deaths are in the elderly and the severely immunocompromised (and so far in less developed countries than the US), and for those segments the typical seasonal flu is more dangerous than this is. And while the death toll and total number of cases is still climbing, the number of active cases has been falling for weeks now.

This is a media hype driven distraction. The virus is real, but the reaction in the US media is deliberately hyperbolic, probably in an effort to hurt Trump to be honest.

The virus is being used as an excuse to usher in the next recession.

Take note of how many Corona-Virus stories also mention financial troubles, dropping of stocks, how closures of airports effect companies (the same companies that choose to close airports)

I wonder if the owners of GDC will receive compensation?

Airbus Jr

Banned

Youre underestimating the severity of this problem

Like i said earlier

Youre too busy with videogame stuff and out of touch with the real world

For you GDC is more important than risking having contact with coronavirus carrier

I dont

Just go there if you pleased

Il be watching any videogame related show far away from crowded people on my smartphone/pc at home

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
damn this is a huge drag.

my friend is currently in school for game design and was psyched to be going to this. i actually texted him thursday and he was like "lot of people dropped out but they are still doing it" bummer
You’re a fucking idiot if not taking this pandemic seriously. That is all.
yeah im not sure about "f'ing idiot" but clearly in reality denial.

personally im not scared of catching it, but when you look at the things getting cancelled over it, these are giant promotional events worth millions and millions of dollars. they have to be taking a huge financial hit for every cancellation. companies don't take a lot of things seriously but they do take money seriously, and for that reason alone, it seems pretty obvious that some real shit is going down. they are discussing cancelling the Olympics, which could cost millions, even billions. when money men are making that kind of decision, it's not just a media thing.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
People are really overreacting to this.
How many elderly were really planning to attend GDC?
Elderly people were not the only ones who died from the Corona Virus...….Are you saying that all gamers are perfectly healthy rabbits with no prior medical conditions and immuno deficiencies? How would you know that? All lives matter......It makes no sense to live up to 50-70 or even younger only to be taken away by an airborne virus, which may have very well come off a lab.....or which looked like it was not properly contained in the first place....

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love Sony, and I've owned every single one of their home consoles , but..

Why does Sony have so much luck??

There's something strange there.

BGs

Industry Professional
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

prag16

Banned
Youre underestimating the severity of this problem

Like i said earlier

Youre too busy with videogame stuff and out of touch with the real world

For you GDC is more important than risking having contact with coronavirus carrier

I dont

Just go there if you pleased

Il be watching any videogame related show far away from crowded people on my smartphone/pc at home
You have no clue what you're talking about. I've been busy and haven't played games for more than a total of 10 hours in the past month. I don't care about GDC in particular, but my antennae always go up any time media/government/etc are engaging in absurd fearmongering, which is what's happening here.

The coronavirus is a nothing burger, especially in terms of the United States. Care to make a bet on the final US death toll? The over/under is 1.5. I'll take the under.

HarryKS

You have no clue what you're talking about. I've been busy and haven't played games for more than a total of 10 hours in the past month. I don't care about GDC in particular, but my antennae always go up any time media/government/etc are engaging in absurd fearmongering, which is what's happening here.

The coronavirus is a nothing burger, especially in terms of the United States. Care to make a bet on the final US death toll? The over/under is 1.5. I'll take the under.

Dude, use your brain on this one. It's a scaling problem. It's not about how deadly the rate is, it's about the rate of propagation and inability to deal with the numbers. It's all about logistics. The regular flu doesn't spread like that. Don't know what peak numbers you're looking at when they were driven mostly by China 2 weeks ago. It's everywhere now and it's really hard to find out who is and who isn't infected. No country in the world can deal with that level of outbreak, be the flu as mild as you think it is. It is also not simply an elderly killer. It affects people with compromised immune systems.

prag16

Banned
Dude, use your brain on this one. It's a scaling problem. It's not about how deadly the rate is, it's about the rate of propagation and inability to deal with the numbers. It's all about logistics. The regular flu doesn't spread like that. Don't know what peak numbers you're looking at when they were driven mostly by China 2 weeks ago. It's everywhere now and it's really hard to find out who is and who isn't infected. No country in the world can deal with that level of outbreak, be the flu as mild as you think it is. It is also not simply an elderly killer. It affects people with compromised immune systems.
Me use my brain? How about you get some perspective. This thing is weak even in the recent past collection of "viruses that were going to kill us all but amounted to nothing".

I swear people lap up whatever the media is serving up. Nobody has any common sense any more.

HarryKS

Me use my brain? How about you get some perspective. This thing is weak even in the recent past collection of "viruses that were going to kill us all but amounted to nothing".

I swear people lap up whatever the media is serving up. Nobody has any common sense any more.

Common sense?

What is the media serving up? Should they not talk about a malady that's struck almost 90 000 people we know of, caused the death of almost 3000 and has spread out to almost 3 dozen countries?
The second economy on earth, most populous country closing down 3 mega-cities and acting desperate?
Japan sending kids home?

If the media don't report that, what the heck are they supposed to talk about?

It is not weak, Just because you have an opinion on how dangerous the virus is doesn't make it any less dangerous.

Last edited:
Common sense?

What is the media serving up? Should they not talk about a malady that's struck almost 90 000 people we know of, caused the death of almost 3000 and has spread out to almost 3 dozen countries?
The second economy on earth, most populous country closing down 3 mega-cities and acting desperate?
Japan sending kids home?

If the media don't report that, what the heck are they supposed to talk about?

It is not weak, Just because you have an opinion on how dangerous the virus is doesn't make it any less dangerous.
Almost 3000?

Didnt you say 2700 in another post?

Rounding up by 300?

But nahh, no scaremongering here.

This virus, whether as deadly as people are fearing or not, does not make sense compared to the extraordinary measures being put in place. Nothing, short of the mass destruction of cattle in England and Europe because of foot and mouth, has come close to this level of reactionary panic that we are seeing. Even Ebola, the doomsday disease, didn't create this level of panic, isolation and fear mongering.

And it isn't consistent. GDC is cancelled but baseball, football and hockey games continue, without issues, day after day, week after week? How does that make sense.

The message and chosen reaction by certain industries, is baffling considering the worst case scenario.

That's why people aren't swallowing the story; there are too many inconsistencies and questions for it to make any sense, especially to those who have lived through a few decades of the media spouting "X disease will kill 98% of the population"

Of course, we know why this is happening. The corona virus is the precursor or excuse for the next recession. Those who can see the cards on the table are withdrawing their money as fast and as silently as possible.

Jtibh

Banned
Everything will be cancelled except one thing ..

Hollywood.. just wait there will be a new trailer for a new movie called
Resident Evil : C-virus

Fucking unbelievable
C virus ....like the guy will tells mila jovovich
'The smell of your vagina is nauseating' and then he drops dead

HarryKS

Almost 3000?

Didnt you say 2700 in another post?

Rounding up by 300?

But nahh, no scaremongering here.

This virus, whether as deadly as people are fearing or not, does not make sense compared to the extraordinary measures being put in place. Nothing, short of the mass destruction of cattle in England and Europe because of foot and mouth, has come close to this level of reactionary panic that we are seeing. Even Ebola, the doomsday disease, didn't create this level of panic, isolation and fear mongering.

And it isn't consistent. GDC is cancelled but baseball, football and hockey games continue, without issues, day after day, week after week? How does that make sense.

The message and chosen reaction by certain industries, is baffling considering the worst case scenario.

That's why people aren't swallowing the story; there are too many inconsistencies and questions for it to make any sense, especially to those who have lived through a few decades of the media spouting "X disease will kill 98% of the population"

Of course, we know why this is happening. The corona virus is the precursor or excuse for the next recession. Those who can see the cards on the table are withdrawing their money as fast and as silently as possible.

You're confusing me with someone else. I did not talk about it in another thread.
Numbers are up to 2978 (official reports). That's not counting the numbers hidden by China and Iran and North Korea.

For comparison's sake, the Spanish flu also had a 2% death rate. Arguably, tech has progressed, but not crisis centers and delivery of medical tech.

Ebola = Africa. Africans are not as mobile. The spread is easy to contain in those cases. There's parameters you're not looking at.

Last edited:
You're confusing me with someone else. I did not talk about it in another thread.
Numbers are up to 2978 (official reports). That's not counting the numbers hidden by China and Iran and North Korea.

For comparison's sake, the Spanish flu also had a 2% death rate. Arguably, tech has progressed, but not crisis centers and delivery of medical tech.

Ebola = Africa. Africans are not as mobile. The spread is easy to contain in those cases. There's parameters you're not looking at.

Maybe I am confusing you with someone else.

Tech has progressed since the Spanish flu, it's why the plague and polio no longer concern us.

Westerners caught Ebola and were in major metropolitan centres. Newsletters, flyers and emergency leaflets weren't sent around companies, air travel wasn't banned, people weren't banned from going to Africa, in fact the opposite happened; westerners were flown in to help. So why is this disease different, because it isn't different in itself, it isn't as deadly as Ebola, so why the knee jerk over reaction?

We know why. People don't want to admit it. This is drummed up fear mongering and in 6 months nobody will remember the corona virus because a celebrity death, natural disaster or other pop bumff will have replaced people's Ohh so short memories.

Book Mark this post. If the corona virus has run amok and September has seen 100s of thousands of deaths from the virus then you can ban and nuke this account from orbit.

Will you stand by your beliefs in the same way I have?

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryKS

Tech has progressed since the Spanish flu, it's why the plague and polio no longer concern us.

Westerners caught Ebola and were in major metropolitan centres. Newsletters, flyers and emergency leaflets weren't sent around companies, air travel wasn't banned, people weren't banned from going to Africa, in fact the opposite happened; westerners were flown in to help. So why is this disease different, because it isn't different in itself, it isn't as deadly as Ebola, so why the knee jerk over reaction?

We know why. People don't want to admit it. This is drummed up fear mongering and in 6 months nobody will remember the corona virus because a celebrity death, natural disaster or other pop bumff will have replaced people's Ohh so short memories.

Book Mark this post. If the corona virus has run amok and September has seen 100s of thousands of deaths from the virus then you can ban and nuke this account from orbit.

Ok. There's no need to put your account on the line, that's silly. It's not worth much. You can just open a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How can people compare it to the flu and laugh at precautions? There are vaccines for the flu, there are none for this yet, even though it's been known for a long while now. Not that having to get yet another vaccine mandatory every year is desirable if they can nip it in the bud from spreading to avoid it. And yes of course it's mostly the "high risk demographics' that are, well, in high risk, that's not just the elderly but also, dun dun dunnnnn, babies! We don't care if some more die I guess, there are too many people, screw individuals, it's just numbers. Italy already underestimated this.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It’s actually very simple, ebola is less contagious as this virus ... that’s why.

That’s why western people where flown in to help.

It’s more lethal.

But if enough people get infected with Corona of the world population you could be looking at Spanish flu numbers ... why do you think China and Italy cut of whole regions / cities ? For fun?

Last edited:

scalman

i get why it canceled ,i mean i wouldnt wanna go if i could but with all those people around, no thank you.
but then compensate this with some videos , i duno make some virtual game show that would be made of trailers that all companies have made for us. why we should suffer from it , i mean we live in world where everything can be streamed online. no need do real stuff just make online then and show us all at home .

Top Bottom