• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Officially Cancelled (Update: Postponed for possible later date)

Arkam

Glad they are finally doing what was obvious. But at the same time super disappointed in their dumb plan of just postponing a few months.... why? Since it will be a wait and see for many attendance will still be way down. Just take the "L" and move on to GDC 2021 planning.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft. Even the event planners are too afraid of you to go to the event.
Rest In GamePass, Phil Spencer (1984-2020)
isaJXhd.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They should also cancel Pax East too! For everyone's sake, all mass gathered events should all be cancelled!!
That one's already going on dude... Tell everyone to pack up and leave? Lol. At least people can cancel their tickets and shit for GDC, maybe not lose any money. I'd hope those who return would be careful, same for those that will be around them, just in case.

Last edited:

Street Fighter tournament canceled too for same reason.

A deadly super-flu, or shitty online netcode left to rot for 4 years. What's a player to choose?

it's a joke

I'm glad Sony chose to be the ones to lead towards a more cautious approach to safeguard it's employees and the industry from getting affected even more.

Well-played tbh

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I know this was mostly Corona, but outside of Corona, I suspect the same thing will happen to E3 and other events Sony choses to stay away from...…...E3 was lackluster last year and so will this year.....I had very little interest to watch just because Sony was not there.....For GDC, E3 and other events, if the main performer is not going what's the pull.....?.

It's like booking a ticket to a Music festival where U2 is featured and last minute they tell you U2 has cancelled and who replaces U2?

VIC-O

I mean, don't even waste your time.....The one that made the event is no longer coming....Go Home....

Whitesnake

Banned
You all are blaming Sony, but they are the scapegoat for the true villain here.

Think about it, right now the virus is scaring people from talking about console development, soon it may actually stop consoles from shipping, and eventually everyone will have to stay indoors because they fear the virus.

What game service can be used on existing tech and doesn’t require the development, shipping, or purchase of new physical machines?

Google Stadia.

jakinov

Noting of value was lost.
I was looking forward to the Gamer's Don't Care conference.
No Sony, no show
Crazy times. Smart move, though. It's not like streaming your announcements via YouTube is difficult. Niintendo has the right idea with their Direct format.
GDC is a game developers event. It's for developers to learn and network with other developers at other companies. It's not meant for gamers but sometimes news does come out during GDC. As gamers, you aren't supposed to directly care for the event because it's not meant for you. But you can hope for extra news for gamers but again these events are meant for and very beneficial for developers. Developers from all kinds of companies host seminars to help each other by giving tips, techniques, and insight in ways that they solved management or technical problems. With next gen consoles coming out and ray tracing becoming a bigger thing, this GDC is arguably more important the last few. Most tech related fields (IT, general purpose development, AI, computer networking, security, cloud, etc) have these kinds of events and they are greatly beneficial because they are where people learn what other people are doing and get to talk to like minded people about their field (what they forsee, what they noticed, how they did this/that, etc.)

prag16

Banned
Better not to underestimate any potential thread

Safety first it is paramount and more important than videogame event

Know your priority
It's blatant fearmongering. The amount of active cases worldwide actually peaked over two weeks ago and has been in steady decline since then. This is a manufactured crisis.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well that blows. I mean at least they are going to do it later. Better safe than sorry. This is really making me think the consoles are either gonna be delayed or they'll be increased in price at launch because of various shortages due to the virus.

UFD Tech just posted a video today saying that PC parts are gonna go up in price as well. I'm tempted to just take the money I've put aside for next gen and just throw it into a new AMD CPU and motherboard.

Kagey K

Banned
Well that blows. I mean at least they are going to do it later. Better safe than sorry. This is really making me think the consoles are either gonna be delayed or they'll be increased in price at launch because of various shortages due to the virus.

UFD Tech just posted a video today saying that PC parts are gonna go up in price as well. I'm tempted to just take the money I've put aside for next gen and just throw it into a new AMD CPU and motherboard.
Shortages I can see. Thankfully MIcrosoft didn’t put all their eggs in one basket and have factories in other countries so there will still be some supply from them.

This is going to be a tough lesson to learn for other international companies though that process everything through China. Fashion and Toys about to be hit especially hard.

I can see them going “retro” to sell shit they have had stored in warehouses for ages.

sinnergy

They hope they can hold it in the summer, if this becomes pandemic it. Could be at least a year before it’s gone, better to be realistic. But that’s okay , there is always the next year.

Kagey K

Banned
They hope they can hold it in the summer, if this becomes pandemic it. Could be at least a year before it’s gone, better to be realistic. But that’s okay , there is always the next year.
I think some people are right this is going to become the next flu. It’ll hit year after year in Nov-Feb and die off.

Ive lived through a lifetime of world ending bugs. HIV, SARS, H1N1, Ebola. This is going to become an annual thing and some years will be worse then others.

It will never be eradicated or gone. Just like all those.

While the issues with the coronavirus are not going to vanish until summer they may have time to offer better services/security/whatever to attendees. Cancelled and postponed are two different things.

sinnergy

I think some people are right this is going to become the next flu. It’ll hit year after year in Nov-Feb and die off.

Ive lived through a lifetime of world ending bugs. HIV, SARS, H1N1, Ebola. This is going to become an annual thing and some years will be worse then others.

It will never be eradicated or gone. Just like all those.
It will be that after a vaccine and a clear understanding by the medical world in how this virus behaves. Until then it will disrupt the way of living we got used to, not being pessimistic , but it’s starting to look like this, better accept this that for a year or 2 we live in a less open world.

Bill Gates recently said “this is our centuries pandemic, and I agree with him.

Good thing is our hygiene and medical capabilities are developed and we are not in a world war. So if we take the right precautions and look at China’s handling we can soften the blow.

Economically we will take a big hit like in 2008 and more people will get well fare.

But United as 1 world , we have enough money and resources we could make it all much better, if we start using all the wealth and money for the bigger cause.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It will be that after a vaccine and a clear understanding by the medical world in how this virus behaves. Until then it will disrupt the way of living we got used to, not being pessimistic , but it’s starting to look like this, better accept this that for a year or 2 we live in a less open world.

Bill Gates recently said “this is our centuries pandemic, and I agree with him.

Good thing is our hygiene and medical capabilities are developed and we are not in a world war.
I don’t agree, and if we are going to go that far, let’s just shut all travel down until it’s settled.

sinnergy

I don’t agree, and if we are going to go that far, let’s just shut all travel down until it’s settled.
It’s you good right. As it’s mine. I agree that we disagree 😃🙃

But if that’s a measure that’s needed, I am willing to give that up.

Last edited:

mejin

GDC is a game developers event. It's for developers to learn and network with other developers at other companies. It's not meant for gamers but sometimes news does come out during GDC. As gamers, you aren't supposed to directly care for the event because it's not meant for you. But you can hope for extra news for gamers but again these events are meant for and very beneficial for developers. Developers from all kinds of companies host seminars to help each other by giving tips, techniques, and insight in ways that they solved management or technical problems. With next gen consoles coming out and ray tracing becoming a bigger thing, this GDC is arguably more important the last few. Most tech related fields (IT, general purpose development, AI, computer networking, security, cloud, etc) have these kinds of events and they are greatly beneficial because they are where people learn what other people are doing and get to talk to like minded people about their field (what they forsee, what they noticed, how they did this/that, etc.)

In my case, it was just a weak bait. :-(

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's blatant fearmongering. The amount of active cases worldwide actually peaked over two weeks ago and has been in steady decline since then. This is a manufactured crisis.

What blatant fearmongering?

Coronavirus is real and dangerous

Are you people on Neogaf actually aware of this?

is videogame more important to you than a potential pandemic outbreak?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's real, but it's not that dangerous in the grand scheme of things. The garden variety flu is far more dangerous. This is manufactured hysteria.

Being reported and talked about does not mean manufactured hysteria.

If you want to pretend that it doesn't exist and that it can't hurt you then go live in North Korea.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm not an expert but who the fuck would go to one of these conferences if they were still going anyway? It's a crazy decision because everyone is touching electronics, and that's BIG in spreading germs.

Airbus Jr

Banned
How many people have died of regular flu?

As I said the active case numbers peaked weeks ago and have been on steady decline.

This just isn't that big a deal, and clearly doesn't justify curtailing domestic travel.

I dont believe you

You seems to be out of touch with the real world and only busy with videogame

For me its better to take early precaution than underestimate

Last edited:
Top Bottom