• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox confirms Borderlands 3 launches on September 13, 2019; Epic Games Store exclusive

Steam is not your friend. They where close to achieving a monopoly. This will only make steam better in the long run.
Look how fucked GPU prices are.. and how abysmall the jump was in the new RTX line. Nvidia basically has a monopoly in the high end.

I prefer steam above epic. But i like steam to change. And work harder to get those “exclusives”
Steam was close to getting a monopoly, and they would still add features and kept improving their service no matter what, adding things that still other stores don't have like Big Picture mode or Steam Link, did anyone ask for that? No but they still offered it. I just see Epic spending all the money in buying exclusives and scanning your computer trying to find ways to take down Steam but the store never gets any better. Not to mention when Steam came out it solved the piracy problem for so many people by offering a convenient way to buy games, and thanks to Valve almost all Japanese games are coming to PC too, they have done so much for the PC community. They are good guys.

PhoenixTank

I can ask you the same. Where is the evidence that Epic Games bought Borderlands 3 exclusivity rather than being approached by Gearbox? Maybe they did so because Epic Games doesn't take their revenue away?

So no, not Gearbox. Point stands regarding which side initiated, but it doesn't really make a difference regardless of whether Epic said "Make it exclusive and we'll give you money" or 2K said "If you give us money we'll make it exclusive". It is known that Epic pay out for this. The waft of the carrot in the air is all a hungry donkey needs to investigate further. Epic absorbing the UE4 % cost as well makes it all the more sweeter for them.
I'd be beyond shocked if 2K said "We don't want the money/guaranteed sales we'll just take the better revenue split".

In contrast, no evidence that money has changed hands between Steam & MS for MCC. Speculation says it could be possible, but is not how Valve have operated in the past and as such is pretty baseless right now.

Last edited:
Posters openly advocating piracy? Didn't that used to be a permaban?
How sad.
Once again, hardcore forum goers show that they are out of touch with the average consumer outside their basements. Game will still sell a shit ton because most people don't care about your silly politics on what dumbass launcher you will use.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can ask you the same. Where is the evidence that Epic Games bought Borderlands 3 exclusivity rather than being approached by Gearbox? Maybe they did so because Epic Games doesn't take their revenue away?

Lol what? It's well established that Epic are buying exclusivity. The burden of proof is not on us to demonstrate that this one company isn't following the trend of the others. Epic would be singing from the rooftops if a company as big as Take Two (not Gearbox, they're the developers) had come to them freely offering exclusivity.

Interesting that Pitchford mentioned cross-play. I wonder if that's something they are seriously pursuing or he's just throwing it out there.

badblue

What point would there to be to not have the game on Steam at the same time as Epic if they were not paid for it? With how things have been with these exclusivity deal in the past, it's more then likely that Epic did offer a bunch of money up front for exclusivity. If it were a 1-3 month exclusivity window, it would be arguable that 2K wanted to take advantage of that generous revenue split Epic offers with out it being prepaid, but 6 months to a year? No, they got paid for that.

But I don't fault them for it. The game was never advertised as being on steam to begin with, so I can't really be too angry with them for it. I'm disappointed that the game is not available on my preferred platform.

Simply_Bry

Lol what? It's well established that Epic are buying exclusivity. The burden of proof is not on us to demonstrate that this one company isn't following the trend of the others. Epic would be singing from the rooftops if a company as big as Take Two (not Gearbox, they're the developers) had come to them freely offering exclusivity.
It's well established because haters constantly make the same claim everytime a game becomes a EGS exclusive. The only proof I've seen is biased hatred towards Epic Games because their store is missing features.

Zaffo

Very adult of you. God you people are pathetic.

Mature thing would be to ignore the game altogether, on the other hand, guy wants to play a game, the way the game is provided is a worse experience than piracy, guy pirates the game.

Turns out that piracy is actually a service problem.

sol_bad

It's well established because haters constantly make the same claim everytime a game becomes a EGS exclusive. The only proof I've seen is biased hatred towards Epic Games because their store is missing features.

You have done Jack shit research than.

Kadayi

Banned
Not particularly shocked by this reveal. I called it back when the trailer launched. The fact that they were coy on what PC meant was pretty telling. I think it's fair to say that pretty much anything released under 2K, Private Division & possibly even Rockstar is likely going to be an EGS exclusive for here on in. I like Borderlands, but I'm happy to wait on it.

Stuart360

Er Epic and Sweeney have come out and said it themselves when they said they wont keep buying exclusivity for years to come, it will end at some point.
Why do you think the games are coming to Steam a year later?, so the devs can fine tune the game for Steam?, lol

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/tim-sweeney-epic-games-store-exclusives-1203095913/
These exclusives don’t come to stores for free; they’re a result of some combination of marketing commitments, development funding, or revenue guarantees. This all helps developers.

Directly from Tim over 3 months ago. You really need to actually research these things before you try to discuss them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Like i said, i don't need to point you out.

You are trying to hard, it is obvious you are a shill but i am going to humor you anyways. Why should i or anyone else as a gamer worry about developers? I worry about me. You shills keep trying to act like a 30 percent cut is not the standard when it is. Just so you know, developers are in the business of making money and where do they get their money from? GAMERS. If they don't make money they go out of business so let them enjoy the Chinese dirty money for now but if they continue to fuck over gamers they will pay for it.

You are intentionally trying to obfuscate the reason people are upset with Epic and China, i am annoyed that you think you are being slick when you are all to obvious and then you go put words in my mouth i did not ever say, of course i am upset now, so don't act like you didn't see that response coming, back off.

You honestly sound like you are having paranoid delusions. At least, that's what all my fellow shills are telling me.

Last edited:

manfestival

Fortunately, none of these games that are exclusive are ones that I want to play or have any real interest in. Competition is good, even if it is bringing console wars toxic garbage to the pc front.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The trailer looked amazing to me. They really stepped up the graphics. I'm kinda in a wait n see mode on the villains...there's just too little information. I do like how sinister they look. I just hope the game can bring what i call "epic comedy" like they did in Borderlands 2. The story in 2 was segmented but still great within those segments, the DLC was amazing and worth every red cent.

I want this on Xbox One X if it is 60fps. Otherwise I'll forego my lack of HDR on my PC and get it on Steam(?).

Speaking of launchers, I hope this launches on both Steam and Epic. I feel like Borderlands can make a statement to quell the console-ish war thats brewing on pc right now because Epic is not facilitating healthy competition. They are attempting a hostile takeover without any regard for the consumer.

/cry

So much for that hope. I'm still buying it. Frame rate still will determine who gets my money. Seems there's no white knight's in this fairy tale.

Fuz

Banned
And I've been asking you, show me a legit game(not developed by Valve or some asset flipping shovelware) that is Steam exclusive.
It doesn't matter that you play on the "exclusive" strawman, I cannot play, for example, Dark Souls 3 without installing steam. Is it a paid exclusive? No. Is it an exclusive nonetheless? Yes.

johntown

Banned
I called this as a joke in the original Borderlands 3 announcement thread. I really didn't think a game like this would ever really need to do the Epic store troll to PC gamers.

While I don't like it they are giving us plenty of notice which I appreciate. I can wait an extra 6 months to give my $$ to my dark corporate overlord "Steam".

Fuz

Banned
Are you drugs mate?
Go look at the other games on the store that were paid exclusive by Epic. Pretty much every exclusive has been paid for. Especially the indie games, what nut job owner of an indie company would release exclusively on Epic without some sort of a payout? If they weren't paid exclusive, if the publisher/developer decided on their own term to release for 6-12 months exclusive on Epic, what damn incentive do they have to do that!!!??? There is absolutely no reason to cut off 90 million potential customers just because.
It's in the publisher's rights to make agreements with stores*.

The Metro and Phoenix Point shit are a totally different matter.

* Don't get me wrong, it's a shitty situation and I hate it too.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
Posters openly advocating piracy? Didn't that used to be a permaban?
How sad.
Once again, hardcore forum goers show that they are out of touch with the average consumer outside their basements. Game will still sell a shit ton because most people don't care about your silly politics on what dumbass launcher you will use.

You know damn well it is more about more than just politics.

Solomeena

Banned
You honestly sound like you are having paranoid delusions. At least, that's what all my fellow shills are telling me.

You are one of the biggest shills in this thread, i would not trumpet that like you are proud of it. You are as transparent as a sheet of cellophane.

zeorhymer

It's in the publisher's rights to make agreements with stores*.

The Metro and Phoenix Point shit are a totally different matter.

* Don't get me wrong, it's a shitty situation and I hate it too.
Randy is the CEO of Gearbox. He's been courting with Tim for months. Don't deny for a second that he didn't know or had a hand in getting the exclusive. He's trying to deflect the blame onto the publisher to look good. Just like Obsidian.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I hate to be that guy but i might wait until april. Just release it on all platforms at the same time. If epic is so good people will go there to buy it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Where the fuck did i say that Steam is my friend motherfucker? You go back and show me where i said this, no you can't? Don't put words in my mouth that i did not speak.

what-did-you-just-say.gif

Whoa there, cowboy...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't like the way Epic is attempting to break into the market...but I don't want Steam to have a monopoly either. One thing is for certain, if Epic didn't do this, the path to being competitive would be much longer. I for one am not deeply embedded in the features of steam. I buy a game, I play the game. I don't really understand the cards and collectibles you get, or the achievements. I don't know if they have any monetary value and trading seems so complicated. So for me, Epic at least offers one thing Steam doesn't. Simplicity.

On the other hand, I have read about the privacy issues and the apparent correction Epic is making since they got caught. I only have Fortnite and Subnautica from the Epic Store, which both were free. If they have cleared up this privacy issue by September 13th, and the X version of the games is not 60fps, then I will buy on Epic, day one.

Teslerum

Randy is the CEO of Gearbox. He's been courting with Tim for months. Don't deny for a second that he didn't know or had a hand in getting the exclusive. He's trying to deflect the blame onto the publisher to look good. Just like Obsidian.

I don't know about Randy, but Chris has been on his own personal vendetta against Obsidians upper management including telling devs to drop their projects and leave, near slandering other devs (Fenstermaker) and random shitposting on twitter like he did on christmas. Dude's obsessed with it and as such not really that Obsidian insider anymore. Though I'm the first to admit Feargus and Parker are shady.

That's not the point though as with the takeover from Obsidian by Microsoft they don't handle that stuff anymore under self-admittance in the gameinformer interview. Which is supported by the fact that it also releases on the Microsoft store, which was definitly Microsoft saying wait a minute.

Last edited:

Shifty

You know what the best part of poor argumentation is? Supply enough rope and the other party will do the rest themselves :messenger_smiling:

Ever heard of the phrase "burden of proof lies with the accuser"? You're the one making the wild claim here, so you'd best be able to back it up.

And oh look, more goalpost moving. Who approached who is irrelevant, 2K (Gearbox has no say in this) took Epic's money for an exclusivity deal. They would still have received the improved revenue share without cutting Steam out of the equation.

Randy does what he's told, just like any other businessman with people above him in the pecking order.

The man is a chucklefuck, but what were you expecting, for him to sever ties with 2K and shop elsewhere?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't know about Randy, but Chris has been on his own personal vendetta against Obsidians upper management including telling devs to drop their projects and leave, near slandering other devs (Fenstermaker) and random shitposting on twitter like he did on christmas. Dude's obsessed with it and as such not really that Obsidian insider anymore. Though I'm the first to admit Feargus and Parker are shady.

That's not the point though as with the takeover from Obsidian by Microsoft they don't handle that stuff anymore under self-admittance in the gameinformer interview. Which is supported by the fact that it also releases on the Microsoft store, which was definitly Microsoft saying wait a minute.

Wait so it's coming to Microsoft Store but not to Steam? Geez, that's cold

Teslerum

Console version, it is.

Actually, I don't know if I'll even buy it.

If its a great game and it speaks to you, buy it.

I do think nobodys helped if we let Epic ruin our enjoyement of games. The best thing we can do is just not buy on Epic. They don't have unlimited funds and that tactic can only get them so far.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Mature thing would be to ignore the game altogether, on the other hand, guy wants to play a game, the way the game is provided is a worse experience than piracy, guy pirates the game.

Turns out that piracy is actually a service problem.
Explain how using Epic Launcher will be a worse experience? You people act like the launcher is the fucking game..

Karppuuna

People are bombing 1 and 2 for bad reviews in steam.
They just release free remaster update and you are giving thumps down because 3 is Epic store exclusivity for 6 months, how fucking stupid you people are?

Last edited:
Top Bottom