• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 4 Horde discussion - Best practices, class builds, and strategy

Iceman829

My tips from my successful runs

1. Let the scout grab the power
2. You should probably have an additional mounted turret built every 10 waves (i.e wave 10 - 1 turret, wave 30 - 3 mounted turrets)
3. Sentry turrets ARE NOT Mounted turrets
4. Store the turrets in a safe area in the off rounds so they avoid damage
5. Use call outs and use the base as a reference. If you are down on the right side say "I'm down on the right side". It saves people time from having to spin around to try and locate you.
6. First revive of each wave is free. Each additional revive during the round costs an increasing amount. Be aware of the remaining enemies and revive only if needed.
7. If you are going to wipe, run away from all the expensive stuff you bought. Sometimes you wipe and sometimes you may need to wipe because you have no cash. You can farm up cash, but keep the good stuff safe and don't let it get destroyed.
8. Take a few minutes to load up a private lobby and just look at what skills you have unlocked for the classes and if any can be upgraded. You can also take this time to set bounties for each class so you don't have to worry about it later
9a. Be aware of the current objective as the airdrops may help you clear waves later on.
9b. The airdrop boxes don't go away until you open them. Save them for later, tougher rounds when you need additional firepower to clear a wave.
10. Seriously stop picking up all the power from the scout. If you want to pick up all the power pick the scout class you douche.

Soldier class Question. Is the hammer of dawn skill for the soldier any good? I had it drop twice so I was able to level it up from the original base card, but I haven't played soldier at all.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Awesome thread, love horde mode. Subbed

Hopefully we can set up some games in here too. Played last night with some gaf dudes, got to level 40 with 4 dudes. Furthest I've been.

TK-421

ENGINEER
Repair Boost - 20% cheaper and faster defense healing with the Repair tool, additional 20% per skill level
As Engineer, job #1 is maintaining the health and ammo of your teams's defenses, you're the only one that can. Being able to do it cheaper and quicker is a no-brainer.
Turret Health - 20% additional health for manned turrets, additional 20% per level
As stated earlier, manned turrets are god-tier defenses, and they're really expensive to replace if they get destroyed. Make sure they can withstand a beating.

I would replace Turret Health with the General Skill of Fortification Health. Rather have that buff across the board then just focusing on turrets?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Finally partied up with a couple dudes who actually knew how to play Horde and we demolished 1-50 on Casual (with only 3 people!), then Normal (with 4) without ever breaking a sweat. A party that lets Scouts get the pickups and has a Engineer with some well-leveled skills absolutely wrecks. I can only imagine how much better we'd have done with a Heavy or two with some damage buffs on the turrets; Even without them we were putting down everything in no time flat with two turrets working in tandem.

Also I learned something new! You can buy weapons at the Fabricator, hit RB to page over. You can even buy Repair Tools for non-Engineer classes! My mind was blown, really helps to have another person or two reloading turrets and repairing stuff in later waves when you've assembled a ton of defenses.
I would replace Turret Health with the General Skill of Fortification Health. Rather have that buff across the board then just focusing on turrets?
Yeah you're probably right, I was just noticing that it's pretty good last night. Most of the all-purpose skills that any class can use are really underpowered, but that one offers a decent buff.

Rajil

Neo Member
I've pretty much only played horde, I cannot stop. I've been running only the heavy so far with + launcher ammo + explosive damage. I love the boomshot, of course I get the headshot epic card in a pack, guess I better run the sniper for a few runs.

Tieske

Neo Member
The only tip I can give is that whenever you fight the
swarmak
boss, try to get a player to attract the aggro from him. If he ever targets a player on a manned turret, you can kiss that turret goodbye- even if it's build by an engineer with HP bonusses

Oh, and if you kill a boss too fast another may spawn. Although if you killed the first one that fast, a second one might not be too much of an issue

grizzelye

I love Scout! The passive ability (double power whilst in combat) matches my play style. Only lvl 4 right now, but I use shotgun dmg and health regeneration.

Once I get lvl 5, I'll add the bonus on deposit.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I love Scout! The passive ability (double power whilst in combat)
Took me a while to figure that one out, I need to find somewhere to slot that into the opening post. Very worthwhile to leave an enemy alive and let the Scout gather power before each wave ends, not after. That double power bonus is huge.

Honestly, despite the OP, I'm feeling less and less like Shotgun Damage is a huge deal, I'm running around blasting just fine with the Health Boost equipped instead, and that helps a lot when you get blindsided or you need to wade into enemies to revive a downed ally. Deposit Bonus, on the other hand, is vital.

Personally I think it's a good idea to start out with the wire barriers (forget the actual name) in a couple choke points near where you place your fabricator.

Thanks, I usually go for the barriers whilst everyone else goes for turrets, last game we had two turrets after wave six or seven lol.

Also just noticed there's an achievement for 'reaching level ten in every launch Horde class'. New classes coming in with the maps?

Managed to get to Wave 40 on normal earlier with 2 engineers and a soldier... our Scout and Sniper dropped out by round 13, but my buddy and this rando and I kept pushing on. Forge's control room bunker + 2 turrets + wire barriers = lol. We ended up having to tap out after one of our turrets got blown up by the Swarmak and we just didn't have the energy to replace it. Reasonably convinced that if we'd had a Scout we coulda gone the distance.

Thanks, I usually go for the barriers whilst everyone else goes for turrets, last game we had two turrets after wave six or seven lol.

Also just noticed there's an achievement for 'reaching level ten in every launch Horde class'. New classes coming in with the maps?

Certainly reads like that's the plan.

ed: oh, btw, question: what determines the level up rate for the Fabricator? Felt like we hit level 2 around wave... I wanna say 20, and then just plateaued.

aBarreras

i just find out that you can create horde cards with the scrap o.o, and they arent that expensive either, i think 40 each, so if you are lucky you can get a legendary skin, scrap it, and upgrade a bunch of skill cards,

this changes everything!

still the credit payout is too low, we made until horde 33 on normal, and the credits i received where like 280, c'mon.

i finally reached level 3 with the scout so i can used two cards!
more health and more energy deposited at the fabricator

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Engineer is not the only class that can repair, but it is pretty stupid to have anyone else do it.

Novocaine

i just find out that you can create horde cards with the scrap o.o, and they arent that expensive either, i think 40 each, so if you are lucky you can get a legendary skin, scrap it, and upgrade a bunch of skill cards,

this changes everything!

still the credit payout is too low, we made until horde 33 on normal, and the credits i received where like 280, c'mon.

i finally reached level 3 with the scout so i can used two cards!
more health and more energy deposited at the fabricator

I'm not sure how that happens. I just until wave 40 on normal and got close to 1k credits.

aBarreras

I'm not sure how that happens. I just until wave 40 on normal and got close to 1k credits.

well, i dont know, I spent all my credits on a elite pack and i was left with like 3 o 4 credits before starting our horde run, at the end i was at 283 credits. i don't know, maybe the scout doesnt kill as much so it doesnt receive as much credits, i even did the bounty of killing 100 enemies with rifles :(, maybe that's it, but if thats the case then a scout should receive credits for collecting and depositing energy, its not fair otherwise

AXE

I've pretty much only played horde, I cannot stop. I've been running only the heavy so far with + launcher ammo + explosive damage. I love the boomshot, of course I get the headshot epic card in a pack, guess I better run the sniper for a few runs.

You and me both

I will however change into the proper team cards when I get them. Not worrying about "the team" that much yet since people are just exploring and don't have a clue. And that means that I'm running with the personal buffs, with the extra ammo and more damage. Not much sense in me stressing about this or that. When people learn the Horde inside and out, then its time to stress :)

Now I just want to play Horde!

Novocaine

well, i dont know, I spent all my credits on a elite pack and i was left with like 3 o 4 credits before starting our horde run, at the end i was at 283 credits. i don't know, maybe the scout doesnt kill as much so it doesnt receive as much credits, i even did the bounty of killing 100 enemies with rifles :(, maybe that's it, but if thats the case then a scout should receive credits for collecting and depositing energy, its not fair otherwise

I play as a scout too. I MVP almost exclusively for the first half of the game and get point man most of the time too because I'm bolting all around the map blasting dudes in the face. I did do a wave 20 survival bounty also. It must be the XP gains and level ups.

J-Roderton

Haven't really touched story mode yet so I haven't faced many enemies so what's best strategy against these little frog things that jump around? Damn thing is a bullet sponge.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Haven't really touched story mode yet so I haven't faced many enemies so what's best strategy against these little frog things that jump around? Damn thing is a bullet sponge.
Pouncers? A grenade tag insta-kills them.

Iceman829

Is it just me or do people not stick around after wave 20? Furthest I got was 28 then everyone quit

Most people (randoms) jump into a horde match and go 1-20 for the 10k xp bounties. Most don't want to sit around for 2 hours to play a single match. It's a serious flaw in the matchmaking setup for horde. People should be able to select a queue for the type of game they want.

Quickmatch - Waves 1-10 only
Normal - Waves 1-20
Long Term - Waves 1 -> Until everyone quits

Eye opening thread.

Do we have some sort of GAF Horde group? For some reason I can't get to see the the LFG features on the dashboard an I am in Preview (I think). Would love to get some static groups going.

Leyasu

Banned
Nice thread

I created te UKEUgearsGAF club. Get on there, of course it is open to everyone though.

I played horde last night as a scout. No one had mics, they were all charging the power drops and they weren't scouts. Fucking stupid.

This new horde is on a different level, and needs teams to play it

z4chc3na

Anyone who wants to run this with mics add me. Mostly running engineer and putting all my cards towards it til I max out the class, then planning on moving on to another.

GT: Z4CHC3NA

One thing for Sniper class - the EMBAR is amazing if you can aim it properly. The ability to fire three times vs. Longshot's one shot is invaluable.

Are any of the fabricator skills good? I noticed the sniper one that kills x number of enemies costs 5000 just to use. What does that even do? Auto kill x random enemies?

I noticed the soldier has a hammer of dawn skill too but don't have it to see what it does or how much it costs. Do you get a hammer of dawn to use as you want for x seconds?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Updated and revised the OP a bit.
-Added Scouts to the 'necessary classes' bit, the money multipliers they get are really just too good not to have. It can't be stated enough, hang back and let them do their job, people.

-Added the "Building at the Fabricator" bit and some info about how Skill Card leveling works and how to expedite it.

-Replaced Turret Defense with Fortification Defense under the Engineer section, per TK-421's suggestion. That's more as a starting build suggestion for those with only a few slots to utilize, though; Once the Engineer has a broader ability to equip skills, well-leveled Turret Defense and Barrier Defense skills have much, much higher bonus threshholds than Fortification Defense gives.

-Added Gowans' suggested class videos.

-Added a TLDR section, for the short attention span set.

Most people (randoms) jump into a horde match and go 1-20 for the 10k xp bounties. Most don't want to sit around for 2 hours to play a single match. It's a serious flaw in the matchmaking setup for horde. People should be able to select a queue for the type of game they want.

Quickmatch - Waves 1-10 only
Normal - Waves 1-20
Long Term - Waves 1 -> Until everyone quits

This is what I want. I don't have time or desire to do 50 waves. 20 is about right.

Miker

Yeah, 50 waves is too much for most players. Killing Floor has short/med/long games as options, which I think is the right way to go.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Tonight I learned: Horde mode is worryingly easy to grief. I was playing with superNESjoe and some random decided to play keep-away with the Fabricator for several waves and then blew all our money halfway across the map. And there was no way to kick 'em. Just the worst.

painey

a big reason people go for power is because there's an achievement for it. the developers have made MANY mistakes with their online modes here, from shitty payouts, quit-promoting bounties and bad achievements it's no wonder the mode is a shit-show.

a big reason people go for power is because there's an achievement for it. the developers have made MANY mistakes with their online modes here, from shitty payouts, quit-promoting bounties and bad achievements it's no wonder the mode is a shit-show.

you're talking about the deposit 1 million power? That shit is easy as hell if you use scout, but either people don't understand the class system or just don't care so they're making it harder for themselves. I got it without even getting to level 5 on my scout, and there's also an achievement to level up all classes to 10 so if you're achievement hunting, you would get it through normal play.

Is it possibly to play Horde two player co-op effectively? I loved playing Gears 3 horde with my partner, but everytime we played online people would quit after a few levels or just play like idiots.

We got into a good rhythm playing just the two of us and we could deal with just about any crazy situation aside from the bosses that would just destroy all the base we had built up wipe us out unless they got stuck on geometry. We used to pray for the big guy.

Will the class system making playing with just two less feasible?

Top Bottom