• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 4 Horde discussion - Best practices, class builds, and strategy

AlStrong

Is it possibly to play Horde two player co-op effectively? I loved playing Gears 3 horde with my partner, but everytime we played online people would quit after a few levels or just play like idiots.

I loved playing custom with mutators since it was so harde to get into the DLC maps online.

erg... just realized what was maybe missing in campaign.

Pro tip:
Use your mic!!

There are so few people on mics... the other night, instead of plugging his mic to see if I had mine, the guy sent me a text asking me to repair the defenses...

anyway, could this be enforced?

Last night, managed to get to Wave 50 with randoms. We were a strong team, breezed to level 49, but had a disastrous start on Wave 50 with a Swarmak taking out all of our Weapon Lockers/turrets quickly. Which revealed my current biggest pet peeve:

Don't use the manned turrets on the easy waves. This one dude spend the entirety of the game on the manned turret, dumping all of our credits into reloading/repairing the turret that when we had that one moment that things go destroyed, rather than having thousands of dollars to spend on new turrets and barriers, we had nothing. Which caught us in a loop of being defenseless against the hardest wave.

So that's my tip. Only use the manned turret to take down particularly hard enemies and keep it out of the open when you're not using it.

Is it possibly to play Horde two player co-op effectively? I loved playing Gears 3 horde with my partner, but everytime we played online people would quit after a few levels or just play like idiots.

We got into a good rhythm playing just the two of us and we could deal with just about any crazy situation aside from the bosses that would just destroy all the base we had built up wipe us out unless they got stuck on geometry. We used to pray for the big guy.

Will the class system making playing with just two less feasible?
On Casual you should be fine. It'll get hairy sometimes, but should be a-ok as long as one of you is a Scout (picking up 2x the currency). On Normal, you should be fine to a point (I'd guess 1-25 is pretty manageable?), but those later waves start to get really overwhelming. Tips - use those weapon lockers to store heavy weapons (that constantly refill ammo), so that the 2.5x health doesn't become a problem and use manned turrets on bosses/scion/boomer waves.

Moofers

Last night, managed to get to Wave 50 with randoms. We were a strong team, breezed to level 49, but had a disastrous start on Wave 50 with a Swarmak taking out all of our Weapon Lockers/turrets quickly. Which revealed my current biggest pet peeve:

Don't use the manned turrets on the easy waves. This one dude spend the entirety of the game on the manned turret, dumping all of our credits into reloading/repairing the turret that when we had that one moment that things go destroyed, rather than having thousands of dollars to spend on new turrets and barriers, we had nothing. Which caught us in a loop of being defenseless against the hardest wave.

So that's my tip. Only use the manned turret to take down particularly hard enemies and keep it out of the open when you're not using it.

1) Let your Heavy use the manned turrets and like you said, keep them safe in the easier rounds to save money on repairs.

2) Don't buy the Sentries (automated turrets) in the first 15 or so waves. If you have a full team, sentries aren't really needed until haflway to 50 and when you get one, its better to get two for every choke point you're trying to cover. And put a barrier up in front of them so the enemies are caught up in those and the Sentries can mow them down. In the earlier levels, the sentries are easily destroyed and they just aren't needed. You're better off saving the cash for later rounds.

Pro tip:
Use your mic!!

There are so few people on mics... the other night, instead of plugging his mic to see if I had mine, the guy sent me a text asking me to repair the defenses...

I dunno, I play with randoms and the few that have mics have been ultra annoying.

"Wow really we have two heavies? Ok I guess no one listened to me and we are gonna run with two heavies. WOW. Ok whatever. You guys should have listened to me."

"Uh I don't like the fabricator here, i think we will be tripping over it" *proceeds to move fabricator out of a enclosed-easy to defend space to a open space that any one can attack* "There thats better"

I've been tempted to plug in my headset just to cuss these people out.

I dunno, I play with randoms and the few that have mics have been ultra annoying.

"Wow really we have two heavies? Ok I guess no one listened to me and we are gonna run with two heavies. WOW. Ok whatever. You guys should have listened to me."

"Uh I don't like the fabricator here, i think we will be tripping over it" *proceeds to move fabricator out of a enclosed-easy to defend space to a open space that any one can attack* "There thats better"

I've been tempted to plug in my headset just to cuss these people out.
That's one thing I've kind of disliked about Horde mode so far - because you only level up on the class you're currently using, it discourages teams from changing on the fly. For example, I'm a level 5 Engineeer, and really want to open up those extra Skill cards, but there's not much use having multiple engineers on the team. So, I'm stuck with the decision, do I:

- switch classes to something I'm not as interested in running, so that I can help my team out that may start quitting out as early as wave 20;
- be a little more selfish and just try to level up my engineer as quickly as possible so that later I can switch on the fly without feeling like I'm losing out on XP for my class.

Basically, I wish you could apply XP earned to any class you wanted. The grind on one class is already a pretty long slog (even with double XP weekend where I cleared 50 waves multiple times) that I think there shouldn't be barriers to switching classes to better help your team.

aBarreras

can someone post the pasive perks of the classes? i know that scout harves double energy or something, i thought the op would have those but no, it only recomends skill cards :(

Iceman829

can someone post the pasive perks of the classes? i know that scout harves double energy or something, i thought the op would have those but no, it only recomends skill cards :(

Only the Scout has the passive skill of picking up double power I believe. All the other skills are equipped via the skill cards.

That's one thing I've kind of disliked about Horde mode so far - because you only level up on the class you're currently using, it discourages teams from changing on the fly. For example, I'm a level 5 Engineeer, and really want to open up those extra Skill cards, but there's not much use having multiple engineers on the team. So, I'm stuck with the decision, do I:

- switch classes to something I'm not as interested in running, so that I can help my team out that may start quitting out as early as wave 20;
- be a little more selfish and just try to level up my engineer as quickly as possible so that later I can switch on the fly without feeling like I'm losing out on XP for my class.

Basically, I wish you could apply XP earned to any class you wanted. The grind on one class is already a pretty long slog (even with double XP weekend where I cleared 50 waves multiple times) that I think there shouldn't be barriers to switching classes to better help your team.

I completed all 50 waves with 4 heavies and one soldier on Casual. I think if you play on casual people should relax and not try to dictate what classes other people play.

If you are playing Horde on Insane, then by all means - plug in that headset and work out what the team needs.

Lets keep casual casual. I don't need dictators losing their mind over what classes people are picking. I'm trying to have fun here, not heart palpitations from some try hard crying about somebody needs to be a Scout.

Pro tip:
Use your mic!!

Yah, really annoying...have a hard time playing with randoms for Horde...they just starting buying random shit and putting things in places that make no fucking sense. Played a game last night and a guy but a auto sentry way out from where we hunkered down.

Was also greating seeing people constantly buying a bunch of traps and not focusing on even upgrading the current ones we still had up.

No one talked and I tried talking hoping they would hear me through the TV or something and no one cared. We didn't do to well, I watched the scout buy a repair gun even tho we already had an engineer....really would like a few people I could play this with.

Moofers

Yah, really annoying...have a hard time playing with randoms for Horde...they just starting buying random shit and putting things in places that make no fucking sense. Played a game last night and a guy but a auto sentry way out from where we hunkered down.

Was also greating seeing people constantly buying a bunch of traps and not focusing on even upgrading the current ones we still had up.

No one talked and I tried talking hoping they would hear me through the TV or something and no one cared. We didn't do to well, I watched the scout buy a repair gun even tho we already had an engineer....really would like a few people I could play this with.

GT: uno ill nino

I have a growing network of Horde players that I can really rely on. They're not always on, but so far I've got about 8 people or so that I see fairly often and between us we usually have 2-5 people available at most times.

I completed all 50 waves with 4 heavies and one soldier on Casual. I think if you play on casual people should relax and not try to dictate what classes other people play.

If you are playing Horde on Insane, then by all means - plug in that headset and work out what the team needs.

Lets keep casual casual. I don't need dictators losing their mind over what classes people are picking. I'm trying to have fun here, not heart palpitations from some try hard crying about somebody needs to be a Scout.
Oh totally, on casual everyone can be a soldier (or whatever) with no skill cards equipped and having fun. Some basic staying in cover/reviving each other is enough to get you there. But when you're pushing through all 50 waves on higher difficulties, it would be nice if the game encouraged you to adapt to different roles...one way I would like is by having XP be applicable to any class. So that I could choose to be the scout if that's what our team needs, without compromising 2 1/2 hours of leveling up I really want to be doing on my engineer. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though.

GT: Chuck the Bean / Montreal, Canada (Eastern time Zone)

Although, I have to say that I'm 36 with full time job, 2 kids, a wife, 4 times/week training (gotta keep as much as possible) so gaming time comes after all that... Oh, I'm also a hockey fan so I might watch a Habs game here and there... I miss when I was in my twenties playing video games much much more!

Saturday mornings is my free time where I can game for a few hours in a row... I can be on some week nights too...

J-Roderton

Have we pretty much agreed that spawn areas work best for fabricator? It's seems to be the only place my teams lay it.

Anyone tried sticking it up at sniper spawn on gridlock for example??

Have we pretty much agreed that spawn areas work best for fabricator? It's seems to be the only place my teams lay it.

Setting up near spawns has always been the best. Otherwise you're giving yourself way more angles to worry about and splitting up your teams focus instead of just funneling the enemies towards you and having all 5 people being able to focus on the same thing

Wow, every single groups of randoms that I have played with have insisted that putting it in the middle of the map is better because you can cover the whole map then.

J-Roderton

I would think out in the middle definitely would be rough for everyone. Haven't come across that yet. Spawns have worked well.

Mostly I've seen them on the upper levels on gridlock. Just curious if anyone had tried it at sniper. Just loading down the stairs and the area around it with spikes and turrets up top.

El Txou

I searched and found this thread to be the most appropiate to ask.

Does equipping the scout skill Health Boost and the general skill Fortification Health stack? Thinking of making my scout a tank.

Edit: Never mind, just realized it is for fortifications. Carry on.

Top Bottom