• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Now Has The Coalition’s “Full Focus”

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hopefully they can find a way to make this one actually interesting. I found myself scrolling Facebook during the ending cutscene

Fluzer

Banned
I don't agree with half of those but detailed dynamic destruction along with a versatile cover system is always how this franchise should have progressed from Gears 4 and on.

Instead we got scripted garbage tied to wind storms, dodging lightning, and robots that walk in straight lines at you. I don't understand the love for Gears 4, I thought it sucked.

Now the great innovation will be 20x larger environments... Thrilling.

Verstaile cover system? Gears still has the most robust cover system on the market.

DanielsM

Banned
Surprised that GOW4 was so poorly received, I played GOW series (X360) online till I let our XBLG account expire in January.

I think the issue with the cover system is you basically have to make it straight forward experience, meaning always have these big cover objects sitting there. The would have to heavily invest in new proto-typing of the cover system to even get to the point of hiding behind trees for example, or smaller objects. I'm unsure as to exactly how you change the game to make it something different.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

im so over the gears franchise. they should go back to their original game.

I was hyped for this, i couldn't wait for it. I wanted a big series a new world, and character that they invest in like a Master chief.

Then it got shelved for Gears......

They went from a studio of interest , to irrelevant in like a second to me.

Here's hoping the Initiative have something brewing that's interesting.

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
Surprised that GOW4 was so poorly received, I played GOW series (X360) online till I let our XBLG account expire in January.

I think the issue with the cover system is you basically have to make it straight forward experience, meaning always have these big cover objects sitting there. The would have to heavily invest in new proto-typing of the cover system to even get to the point of hiding behind trees for example, or smaller objects. I'm unsure as to exactly how you change the game to make it something different.

Gears 4 has an 84 metascore.

DanielsM

Banned
Gears 4 has an 84 metascore.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it reviewed poorly, more like a good portion of the fans don't seem like they like the direction or lack of . I've actually always thought there was this struggle with GOW since the first one. The people that are real dedicated to the MP, love the shotgun wars, lots of other people don't.... they think it holds the game back. The people like me love the first campaign because its dark and gritty, and smaller in scope.... other people liked it that the started moving it from a shooter to more of an action adventure game and bigger in scope.

To me the shooting in GOW is the best of any TPS, but also think it limits the game play - in many ways. I really like GOW for what it is, but also think its stuck, its hard to see them really changing without a major overhaul of what GOW game play is which in turn might seriously damage them with their existing fans.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've bought and played every Gears Game except Judgement. I don't know why I keep doing this. It's like Halo. I have to buy every one though I'll play for like a week and never touch it again. Same thing with Forza. I think I've come to realize that I just a multiplat gamer. I don't really get into the exclusives on either system. God of War...burned through it, never played again, Bloodborne might be the only exception. Though I don't play it any more. I got months of use outta that bad boy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn't really retain any emotions from Gears 4. I bought the $99 dollar version, played through the campaign, unlocked my packs 6 months later, and that's that. The new cast feels so forced. The ending was very strange and it didn't feel like it did in the original trilogy.

Gears 1 - 3 had a lot of style to it. The music, the characters, the boss fights, and then the long voyage to see it all through. Gears 4 has all those robots, a bunch of wannabe locust characters, and the boss battles weren't as good. The characters had their catchy phrases, but the banter never stuck in my head. The original vision of the franchise boiled down to how much money it made its creators.

The game play is fine, but I've kinda lost a lot of hype. I want to play Gears 5, but I'm not expecting it to do the same thing as the original trilogy. I guess I could defend it and say Gears 4 was a solid game. It was fun, but I didn't want to replay it or dive any deeper. The journey you take in Gears of War 4 is good for anyone wanting to play a Gears game that's better than Judgement.

I really never understood this argument. Delta Squad started off super tropey as hell and character developer didn't even start until Gears 2. Need to give the new games a chance since Gears 4 seemed to be building toward a bigger plot with its cliffhanger ending

The point in time when that game came out was at the height. I don't recall a lot of people using the term "tropey". Everything had its own aesthetic to it and the vibe of video games in general wasn't as burned out as it is now. You had a guy posing with a gun and a chainsaw. The comics, figures, t-shirts, tattoos, etc.. all that was a huge brand. It had a huge run and now its all being created from its legacy. IMO its harder to top what Gears of War was.

DanielsM

Banned
I've bought and played every Gears Game except Judgement. I don't know why I keep doing this. It's like Halo. I have to buy every one though I'll play for like a week and never touch it again. Same thing with Forza. I think I've come to realize that I just a multiplat gamer. I don't really get into the exclusives on either system. God of War...burned through it, never played again, Bloodborne might be the only exception. Though I don't play it any more. I got months of use outta that bad boy.

I'm sorta like that with Uncharted. I originally played the Golden Abyss on the vita, its actually a real good title especially on a handheld, but I kind of felt like I had enough after finishing it. What do I do, I get Uncharted 4, again a real good game, its gorgeous and some great set pieces but I just bored of it.... not making that mistake anymore.

The Skull

I really never understood this argument. Delta Squad started off super tropey as hell and character developer didn't even start until Gears 2. Need to give the new games a chance since Gears 4 seemed to be building toward a bigger plot with its cliffhanger ending

I can definitely see that. They were the space marine trope of the time. Coincidentally the new characters are the tropes of now. We have the Nathan Drake character (JD), the slightly androgynous looking strong women (I'm all for good female characters, however Anya, Sam, Bernie were a lot better in this regard) and the wise cracking side kick (literally starts making jokes a second after Marcus gets taken in Gears 4). If they can inject some more personality and really build their characters then great and I'm hoping they do, but in Gears 4 they were largely forgettable, for me at least.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm sorta like that with Uncharted. I originally played the Golden Abyss on the vita, its actually a real good title especially on a handheld, but I kind of felt like I had enough after finishing it. What do I do, I get Uncharted 4, again a real good game, its gorgeous and some great set pieces but I just bored of it.... not making that mistake anymore.

Right I mean I'd say I won't buy it day one...but in Microsoft's case...I won't have to because of game pass. I just do the whole year because beyond the exclusives, they are keep a solid catalogue of games I haven't played yet.

The series reached its peak with 3. Should've ended there. 4 took a while to get going and the forced horde mode/defense sections didn't help. The ending is what has me hyped for 5's story.

As far as MP goes I'll play Horde mode but not touching the shotgun fest that is vs

sinseers

Nobody is asking for more 4 player coop campaign. Gears 3 spoiled me. Going back to 2 plyr coop in Gears 4 felt more like a cop out then anything. Please bring back 4plyr coop Coalition. BTW - BACKFILLING HORDE MODE IS A MUST HAVE!!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I look at Gears, and see how it's tough for the casual crowd, if they go Casual they can get some of the COD crowd which is REALLY tough.

Garnox

I love the Gears franchise, it’s something my brother and I keep in touch over as we always play the co-op online together.

However, I really wish they’d go back to the horror-esque feel of 1. Gears 2 delivered a dark ass game and wasn’t as scary, but still very good.

3 is kind of where they lost me. I feel as though they went too...Hollywood “action” feel?

It reminds me of what happened with Mass Effect. First game was very sci-fi and atmospheric. Two was dark and bleak, yet epic. Three went full-blown action oriented and was not as well received as it strayed from what made the originals beloved.

Gears 4 felt like a continuation of 3’s style and I’m just not sure what to feel about 5 at this point. I’ll end up getting it as I’m already invested in the story and like I previously mentioned, enjoy playing with my brother. Just want to get that unsettling feel of Gears 1 again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom