• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 Multiplayer Hands-on+ New Video (Just Wow)

Snowden

Banned
Aladuf23 said:
I meant the fact that there's new stuff coming in all the time now. I've always loved me the Gears 2 news and all mainly because Gears of War > *
I like *. Very consistent. Tends to get shit on in comparisons.

Too bad.

The notions of all the shots fired having stopping power is really cool. I always like to see my opponents react when I shoot them, and being able to keep them back with a heavy stream of fire will be nice.

Kydd BlaZe

Gears 2 looks fucking God-like. I am so amped for this. I couldn't count how many times I wished the original had a matchmaking/party system and just a more fleshed out and robust multiplayer component altogether. This will definitely be my personal GOTY.

Woo-Fu said:
I wonder how many rapid-fire controller mods Gears2 will sell?
:(

You know what would be way better than masshing or QTEs? A series of Active reloads deciding the winner of the duel. And if would fit fine with the game.

_dementia said:

You know what would be way better than masshing or QTEs? A series of Active reloads deciding the winner of the duel. And if would fit fine with the game.
That, or a series of buttons in order they flash up on screen like a QTE.

This game looks great. From what I read from EGM's cover story, sounds like Epic has cleaned up a lot of the problems that came with Gears 1 and I'm happy about that. This movie just proves that even more, the multiplayer looks fun as hell.

The only thing I will never get over though is how ridiculous the human's armor is. Thank god they changed that a little (you can see in one of the multiplayer screen shots the guy with the straw hat looks normal).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
_dementia said:

Fear is the mind killer.

FrankT

There will also be a screenshot function built into this and an accompanying photo edit mode for making them look more awesome before you share them with your friends.

Has this been announced from the go? I must have missed it, but it sound like they are going to have a pretty beefy screenshot/photo mode.

Kydd BlaZe

Jtyettis said:
Has this been announced from the go? I must have missed it, but it sound like they are going to have a pretty beefy screenshot/photo mode.
I wish they'd just throw in the kitchen sink and give us a film system as well.

armubaba

Looking great, the only thing I'm worried about though is how cheap the new grenades will be. I can see people whoring these to high hell come release time. Hopefully their power gets toned down a bit.

Proelite

GAZERK said:
The only thing I will never get over though is how ridiculous the human's armor is. Thank god they changed that a little (you can see in one of the multiplayer screen shots the guy with the straw hat looks normal).

What's not to love about a boombox on your chest? -_-

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That was a great long write-up - thanks for the post...

So not only will there be a very-likely Campaign playthrough there, but more MP modes and maps will have their debut there as well - this is going to be one hell of an E# this year...

armubaba said:
Looking great, the only thing I'm worried about though is how cheap the new grenades will be. I can see people whoring these to high hell come release time. Hopefully their power gets toned down a bit.

It fits in with slowing the pace down of the game and making it the tactical game it was originally planned to be - I myself am guilty of running through the maps hunting for kills, but I can change, especially since reading about these new changes so early...

Plus the grenade gives a quick beep before it goes off, so as long as you aren't running headlong around corners, you should have time to roll away - also if you see a grenade (they have lights just like the guns and armor correspond to the team), you can shoot them at a safe distance to destroy them too, and it's possible to knockdown/kill the person with his own grenade if gets in the radius, just like the original does with explosives...

Zabka

The gameplay sounds great, but the graphics don't do it for me. Those white aliased edges are all over everything hit by sunlight. I hope they get that smoothed out by release.

2real4tv

NameIess said:
I can now say I'm officially amped up for GOW2!
It sounds like the bulk of the work was put into optimizing the multiplayer and this is great news IMO. I played GOW MP for several months and after time the gameplay was a bit lacking in depth and the host advantage was a bit ridiculous. I'm impressed that both of these issue have now been addressed. There's more compelling game modes and gameplay tweaks to make GOW2 take the online crown from COD4. I have been spending most of my time playing PS3 and COD4 MP, but this could definately bring me back to my 360 until Killzone 2 drops. (Hopefully they get the MP gameplay right with Killzone...)

BTW the visuals are about the same as GOW, but is that really a bad thing?
The visuals in GOW are still some of the best seen this console generation I'm glad more focus was put around gameplay instead of visuals...

I agree this is the only game bring me back to the 360...still got to get mine fixed

2real4tv

I hope they have a classic mode because I don't like alot of the new systems they implemented. Too me the first Gears was perfect all they had to do was fix the glitching and lag issues.

Tomcat

From the ign preview

Now performing a perfect active reload with the sniper rifle will no longer instantly down your target if you land the next shot

An active from the sniper down will drop your enemy but once he gets up you cant active him down again?
Did i get it right? Cliffy?:D

2real4tv said:
I hope they have a classic mode because I don't like alot of the new systems they implemented. Too me the first Gears was perfect all they had to do was fix the glitching and lag issues.
It's really strange that they didn't.

JB1981

Tomcat said:
From the ign preview

An active from the sniper down will drop your enemy but once he gets up you cant active him down again?
I think that this is a wonderful change, as the sniper rifle was always incredibly cheap and overpowered.

GodofWine

Its looking very nice. I'll have to swap consoles with a buddy again to play this for sure.

(how come all developers always show the "brown" levels first...first screens of like EVERY game are always brown... :lol , then everyone says, 'ITS TOO BROWN' and then later we realize the game actually had different levels with color. :D )

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
Was some of that music in the gametrailers vid direct from the Gears 2 soundtrack. If so...fuck yes!
Yeah, the music is definitely pure hawtness.

One of my issues with the first game was that I felt that the soundtrack was pretty underwhelming and didn't really fit the game all that well. The few snippets of music in that vid sound great, though. They do a better job of conveying the dark, gritty, war ravaged theme of Gears a bit better than what was offered in the original.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Yeah, the music is definitely pure hawtness.

One of my issues with the first game was that I felt that the soundtrack was pretty underwhelming and didn't really fit the game all that well.
:eek: some of the best game music this gen imo, gears 1 music is lovely.

domlolz

Banned
The music in GoW was really distracting

I didn't like the multiplayer in GoW so unless the single player has been improved I don't see this as a purchase

Kibbles

Are there any images out there without the watermarks, or a press kit I can download? I'm trying to work on a little something for our new gaming site.

LOL, uh, I'm sorry....this game was supposed to have awesome graphics right? These screens are not impressing me at all. It doesn't stand out anymore like it did back in Nov of 06 I guess.

FrankT

domokunrox said:
LOL, uh, I'm sorry....this game was supposed to have awesome graphics right? These screens are not impressing me at all. It doesn't stand out anymore like it did back in Nov of 06 I guess.

:lol

What, watching that multiplayer HD video and tell me this doesn't look impressive, isthisajoke.gif. Stand out isn't even tip of the iceberg.

Kibbles

domokunrox said:

Video in Motion > Pics

Lurchio

domokunrox said:

If it helps pretend it's a PS3 game and all of a sudden you'll find it omfg awesome.

ThirdEye

Zabka said:
The gameplay sounds great, but the graphics don't do it for me. Those white aliased edges are all over everything hit by sunlight. I hope they get that smoothed out by release.
Agreed. Also pitch black parts look messed up.

domokunrox said:

I'm shocked.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tomcat said:

Nope. The AR from the sniper doesn't down people at all anymore.

FrankT

Dark FaZe said:
Any particular reason why the newest HD gameplay was removed from gametrailers.com?

I was wondering that myself. After they hit yesteday I went back for a second look and they were gone.

Norml

domokunrox said:

I feel the same.The texture quality was what stood out in the 1st but looking at these its nothing special.And those jaggies don't help also.

Wait a second - this Kotaku article says that you have to stop moving when you fire a weapon in Gears 2. This is a huge gameplay change - one for the worse if you ask me.

Keep in mind my work blocks the video interview so maybe I missed something...but if this is true, preorder canceled!

Top Bottom