• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 Multiplayer Hands-on+ New Video (Just Wow)

The Lamonster said:
Wait a second - this Kotaku article says that you have to stop moving when you fire a weapon in Gears 2. This is a huge gameplay change - one for the worse if you ask me.

Keep in mind my work blocks the video interview so maybe I missed something...but if this is true, preorder canceled!

Your fire interrupts the target's movement.

Proelite

Teaming up with a buddy (or three) on turrets, mowing down hundreds and hundreds of Locusts sounds like a great time to me.

/sarcasm

Actually, it wasn't supposed to be sarcastic.

Just hope that Gears of War doesn't turn into Lord of the Rings.

Norml said:
I feel the same.The texture quality was what stood out in the 1st but looking at these its nothing special.And those jaggies don't help also.

Well, someone here agrees with me.

To sort of reply to some people who quoted me

I'm not sure if the pretend its a PS3 game comment was a Bash on the PS3 or not, but that was fission mailed.

Seeing the game in motion isn't going to make the textures better.

Also, someone mentioned the pitch black sections, pretty much spot on.
I think some of you guys are blind and/or blind fanboys and refuse to criticize the graphics. Suit yourself.

FrankT

Norml said:
I feel the same.The texture quality was what stood out in the 1st but looking at these its nothing special.And those jaggies don't help also.

Actually it was the texture quality that popped the most for me in this vid. Particularly when the one Locust is up against the wall firing.

People complaining about the screenshots. PLEASE PLEASE, just watch the HD footage in the OP and stop whining, it's making me sad.

Woo-Fu

Banned
GameGamer said:
I wonder if you can take someone out during their "showboat" move?

You figure the two people in the button mashing chainsaw battle will be invincible too, just like in the original. Everybody will spend a few days learning exactly when the animation invincibility wears off so they don't waste their boomshots. :p

As far as the graphics go, it looks like Gears with > 1 year of Unreal Engine improvements, which is NOT a bad thing. :D

U K Narayan said:
It's really strange that they didn't.

Not strange at all when you consider Microsoft's validation process and the long-running debate Epic and Microsoft had at the time over free DLC, mods, etc.

FrankT

v4os38.jpg

So nothing special right? Well, if you look carefully you can see that there is text on one of the tags. It’s easier to see if you go to the full page here. It says 033-116-117-126-071. Well, someone with far too much time on their hands sent Kotaku what that set of numbers translates into in ASCII octal values, which is already above my head. Either way, it ends up meaning the keys ESC-N-O-V-9, or Escape November 9 in English. This is either just a major tease from Epic, a huge coincidence, or a very clever way of revealing the release date. If they are taking the Blizzard/Diablo 3 approach, then I expect confirmation at E3.

From the link above, interesting.

This would fit with emergence day 2006 as it fell on a Sunday as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/aug06/08-03EmergenceDayPR.mspx

Kibbles

Gears 2 is going to be multiplayer game of the year. GTA4 and MGS4's multiplayer have drawn praise but...Wait until Gears 2. It's going to blow everything else out of the water.

sh4mike

Poster certainly has the traditional trilogy feeling.

Part 1 = partial victory for heroes ("A New Hope")
Part 2 = ends with heroes near extinction/on the run ("Empire Stikes Back")
Part 3 = heroes overcome extreme odds to achieve final victory ("Return of the Jedi")

regarding the "stopping power"

I *really* hope it's proportional to your angle and distance of the person firing. If I'm really close and running straight at them they should be stopped. If I'm far away running away or perpendicular to them and trying to get to cover the stopping power should be minimal.

It's so frustrating getting hit with bullets while slooooowwwllly trying to get into cover. Obviously it should be tuned that if you are out in the open too long you will die, but you get what I'm saying. It should be heavy in some cases, but not extreme in other cases.

PAY ATTENTION EPIC!

Proelite

Omar Ismail said:

I *really* hope it's proportional to your angle and distance of the person firing. If I'm really close and running straight at them they should be stopped. If I'm far away running away or perpendicular to them and trying to get to cover the stopping power should be minimal.

It's so frustrating getting hit with bullets while slooooowwwllly trying to get into cover. Obviously it should be tuned that if you are out in the open too long you will die, but you get what I'm saying. It should be heavy in some cases, but not extreme in other cases.

PAY ATTENTION EPIC!

It was frustrating in Gears of War when I can't get a bead on players that are running all over the place. Players should be slowed when they're running just to give some risk to running itself.

Zezboob

Omar Ismail said:

PAY ATTENTION EPIC!
It's exactly what I am afraid of.

I hope that Epic will think about it.

Top Bottom