• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Impressions and Previews

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

her in game model is perfectly fine

dugdug

Banned
Y'all saying "it's just Anya's armor" like...you know this isn't a true story. They could change it if they wanted to. Also, I'm not criticizing her character design. Just the fact that the armor she uses covers two very specific things only, and, that's a shame.

Not saying the game is now terrible or anything of the sort. I'm still hyped as hell. Just, it's been 5 years since Gears 3. Shit has moved on in the social consciousness. Give her shoulder pads, FFS.

can't find anything bad about game. Talks about one Armour piece in a twitpic to derail thread.

Amazing.

Sorry, am I only allowed to gush about games in here?

Kalentan

Y'all saying "it's just Anya's armor" like...you know this isn't a true story. They could change it if they wanted to. Also, I'm not criticizing her character design. Just the fact that the armor she uses covers two very specific things only, and, that's a shame.

Not saying the game is now terrible or anything of the sort. I'm still hyped as hell. Just, it's been 5 years since Gears 3. Shit has moved on in the social consciousness. Give her shoulder pads, FFS.

As someone posted in this very thread:

coletrain.JPG

This kind of invalidates your point. Since it shows there is a precedent for some characters to not have shoulder pads.

dugdug

Banned
As someone posted in this very thread:

coletrain.JPG

This kind of invalidates your point. Since it shows there is a precident for some characters to not have shoulder pads.

Why does Cole get his entire chest covered up whereas Kait/Anya only get their boobs covered?

Kalentan

Why does Cole get his entire chest covered up whereas Kait/Anya only get their boobs covered?

Because they aren't? If you look at other pictures of Kait/Anya with their arms down, the armor clearly reaches their waist.

CLHcWbcW8AAfs-A.png

Unless you consider a woman's boobs 99% of their chest.

JMizzlin

On armor: In the launch trailer JD says to Marcus 'You kept our armour!", suggesting the armory is from the Fenix family (including Anya). The armor could very well be Anya's and Kait just suits up with it. Let's wait til we see the context before we start drawing conclusions. Also, let's not forget combat roles. Smaller fighters are more nimble and would be slowed down significantly with heavier suits. The armor in this game doesn't objectify men or women - it protects them.

On topic: really excited for this game. Didn't expect it to come out looking as good as it does. I'll be checking it out myself next week so will share my thoughts!

dugdug

Banned
Because they aren't? If you look at other pictures of Kait/Anya with their arms down, the armor clearly reaches their waist.

CLHcWbcW8AAfs-A.png

Unless you consider a woman's boobs 99% of their chest.

Fair enough. Still think it's a bit unnecessary and could have been done better, but, maybe it's not as bad as I initially thought.

All these impressions of all these different modes and were talking about the armour of the female character.

nzZ7Xg.gif

As for the previews, they are all sounding pretty positive.....

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm mostly impressed with how they nailed Horde 3.0 on their first try honestly, it's the perfect evolution of all the versions before it.

Fair enough. Still think it's a bit unnecessary and could have been done better, but, maybe it's not as bad as I initially thought.

Oh please.

That isn't going to save face after your post.

Kait has been shown since last year, she isn't wearing some kind of metal bra. The armor itself has been in existence since Gears 3. Aside from Gears 1 Cole, everyone in Gears 3 were sleeveless without shoulder pads due to the climate, but still wore under-padding as always. You could have seen it from before, but today's trailer confirmed it was Anya's.

It was a silly post.

KORNdoggy

"It's great to see that the new studio for Gears of War is trying new things, but it's also clear to see that they are trying not to anger too many fans by keeping in what people loved originally"

i'd have rather they has completely done new things. gears was born, if not birthed the dudebro shooter, but times have moved on and i don't really want to go back to that. i think that's why 3 and judgement didn't sit so well with me. that transition was already happening everywhere else in the industry and gears was still big and dumb and it just felt tired, and i'm not really seeing anything here that looks like it's breaking away from that. having some of those old dumb characters return doesn't help either. i was honestly hoping we'd seen the last of marcus and co and we had a new group with some nuance and depth. but maybe i'm wrong. find out soon enough.

viHuGi

Banned
Gears of War has always been an amazing series, playing since the first one when I got seriously really fast, good high school days with nothing to worry about but to play Xbox 360 with my mates on Gears.

"It's great to see that the new studio for Gears of War is trying new things, but it's also clear to see that they are trying not to anger too many fans by keeping in what people loved originally"

i'd have rather they has completely done new things. gears was born, if not birthed the dudebro shooter, but times have moved on and i don't really want to go back to that. i think that's why 3 and judgement didn't sit so well with me. that transition was already happening everywhere else in the industry and gears was still big and dumb and it just felt tired, and i'm not really seeing anything here that looks like it's breaking away from that. having some of those old dumb characters return doesn't help either. i was honestly hoping we'd seen the last of marcus and co and we had a new group with some nuance and depth. but maybe i'm wrong. find out soon enough.

Surely we let The Coalition make a game first, before we get the pitchforks out?

Make a Gears game (Gears 4), prove they know what they are doing and then for No. 5 they can do whatever the fuck they want?

Walk before you run and all that.

Moofers

Its so great to read all these positive impressions of the game. I remember when they announced Gears 4 was coming, there were a lot of snotty "Gears is so tired" remarks and here we are on the verge of its release and the attitude has shifted dramatically. That's awesome. I haven't taken the day off work for a game launch in ages, I think its finally time once again.

Also, Halo 5 is fantastic. I assumed that comment was about Halo 4 because Halo 5 has quickly become my 3rd favorite Halo game (CE, Reach, 5, 2, 3, ODST, 4 for those of you wondering).

Finaj

The problem is that if you change up a series enough you can get backlash like with Halo 4.

Gears of War has always been an amazing series, playing since the first one when I got seriously really fast, good high school days with nothing to worry about but to play Xbox 360 with my mates on Gears.

This.. is pretty much my life. Gears of War on Xbox 360 were the happiest days of my life probably.. Gears will always be special to me.

I think you're perfectly, 100% wrong. This is the way 343 should have done it: make your first title a traditional one, assure people you know what you're doing, that you "get it," and only afterwards move on to more innovative/different entries from there. I have no doubt that the Coaltion will be doing great things with the series, but you gotta walk before you can run.

I AM ASHAMED OF MY WORDS AND DEEDS.

See was that so hard

kappa

RE: Armorgate, I think it's just a question of perspective. The armor looks fine when she's wearing it, it's not at all a Chainmail Bikini/Boobplate situation. Just that the male armors (and, indeed, their wearers) are, as per Gears tradition, fuckhuege. So it looks puny by comparison, when in fact it's normal size and the dudes are the freaky-looking ones.

There is a discussion one can have on Gears not having any female characters that look like the male muscle meatheads. Imagine someone like Zarya from Overwatch in Gears armor. But then I'd argue I would rather see less muscled looking body types this time around and I really wished they would let you play as Kait in the story. Nothing against JD but Kait looks way more interesting.

KORNdoggy

Surely we let The Coalition make a game first, before we get the pitchforks out?

Make a Gears game (Gears 4), prove they know what they are doing and then for No. 5 they can do whatever the fuck they want?

Walk before you run and all that.

you read my comments as getting the pitchforks out? lol.

Kalentan

There is a discussion one can have on Gears not having any female characters that look like the male muscle meatheads. Imagine someone like Zarya from Overwatch in Gears armor. But then I'd argue I would rather see less muscled looking body types this time around and I really wished they would let you play as Kait in the story. Nothing against JD but Kait looks way more interesting.

JD is still a pretty buff dude but honestly I got the impression that both main male characters, JD and Delmont still seem skinner than their Gears 1 ~ Judgement counterparts.

gears-4-header.jpg

Relax, pal.

Avi Quote please.

JK :p

OT: I'm really excited to see this game with the HDR enabled for single player.

The storms look quite amazing in that trailer. I also do not expect HDR for multiplayer. so im excited to see the difference between the two. :D come on Coalition, make me sweat!

Two words: Halo Four.

They should make a good Gears first before adding things to it. At the very least, it will prove to fans that the series is in good hands.

I've been so busy with classes that I haven't immersed myself in the pre-launch hype around any of the games I'm really excited for, but the launch trailer and these previews are really giving me confidence in The Coalition. They seem to get it and while they won't be able to please everyone, I think Gears 4 is going to be fantastic.

My body is ready (If there's anything left once Applied Calculus ends)

you read my comments as getting the pitchforks out? lol.

Nah, I was just paraphrasing cause I keep seeing people say that The Coalition arent taking any risks and its the same old boring formula.

Let them get a game out the door first and prove that they can make a Gears game, then we start pestering them for dialogue trees, child protaganists and alternate endings and shit like that ;)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Every time someone says that they should have done something new, I will bring up Gears Judgment, and I won't ever get tired of doing that.

Relax, pal.

Oh I am.

Creating an issue where it wasn't the case was stupid.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Every time someone says that they should have done something new, I will bring up Gears Judgment, and I won't ever get tired of doing that.
You don't even need to go back that far, look at Halo 5. People complaining that it doesn't feel like Halo anymore. Gears stayed true to the series and people complain that it feels too much like Gears.

Genio88

Looks amazing, can't wait to play on PC thanks to Xbox Anywhere, anyway, do you know if the game will support preload of the full game on WIndows 10 too? cause it should be a pretty big file and my connection ain't that good, preload on Xbox One and Steam saved me already a few times, but what about Windows Store?

Top Bottom