• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

m23

What are people's feeling on the gun reticule?
Usually in Gears firing from the hip is 'blind' as there is no visible reticule unless you hold LT.
I always found that this led to inconsistencies. Sometimes I was sure I was aiming in the right direction but my shots would miss - especially with the Shotgun.

I think Judgement then introduced a reticule that was on the screen at all times (like it is in Star Wars Battlefront).

Which version do you prefer?

No reticule on screen certainly looks better but I think it's better for gameplay if the reticule is always there...

No reticule.

Usually in Gears firing from the hip is 'blind' as there is no visible reticule unless you hold LT.
I always found that this led to inconsistencies. Sometimes I was sure I was aiming in the right direction but my shots would miss - especially with the Shotgun.

I think Judgement then introduced a reticule that was on the screen at all times (like it is in Star Wars Battlefront).

No reticule on screen certainly looks better but I think it's better for gameplay if the reticule is always there...

No reticule.

Two reticles. One for each eye.

Now you too can be just like Baird...

XReslbP.jpg

Rembrandt

Banned

no reticule is one of the reasons its so tense.

krang

Just LT to get the centre, then stick seem sort of homemade reticule to your TV to give you that edge.

I have no idea if that would actually work or help...

no reticule is one of the reasons its so tense.
Exactly it.

I hope they also do something with the roadie run. It just looks stupid now, straighten them up a bit, that's it. Make it more a hunched sprint, not an attempt at running on my knees.

Do a good show at E3. Have a good "OPEN BETA, NOW!" moment, and release date. Yes.

Also, req packs would work so good for gears. Characters, customisation items for them, weapons n skins and then bonus Horde stuff would be perfect. Support free DLC but do ONE THING different to Halo 5/Battlefront. More then 1 map at a time. Pace them, but do larger content packs. You don't really feel the addition when it's just 1 map.

Alexious

Exactly it.

I hope they also do something with the roadie run. It just looks stupid now, straighten them up a bit, that's it. Make it more a hunched sprint, not an attempt at running on my knees.

Do a good show at E3. Have a good "OPEN BETA, NOW!" moment, and release date. Yes.

Also, req packs would work so good for gears. Characters, customisation items for them, weapons n skins and then bonus Horde stuff would be perfect. Support free DLC but do ONE THING different to Halo 5/Battlefront. More then 1 map at a time. Pace them, but do larger content packs. You don't really feel the addition when it's just 1 map.

That would be pretty nice. I can see an E3 multiplayer beta happening.

pizzacat

Banned
If the reticle would stay, you'd probably have a gun that doesn't shoot from its barrel

Ah I remember when people used to do this. Scumbags, the lot of them!
You were a part of them when the gear logo would come whenever you would get hurt and would have a circular thing in the middle of the screen to try to help you.

(Things get designed like that for a reason)

Definitely no reticle.

I remember deliberately taking damage so the logo would show up in the middle so I could maybe hit something with blindfire, it was a fun balancing act :p

GI guys talk about the Gears impressions
https://t.co/CNnZ3ACagE

Well-rounded discussion with positive thoughts and concerns.

I do think they are a little off in terms of what people love about Gears of War. It's not horror elements or big bombastic set pieces, it's gold-standard controls, intimate violence, meaty sound effects and a catalogue of excellent monsters to fight against.

Gears of War was a small story set within a larger conflict.

Gears of War 2 was... well, bigger, better and more badass.

Both games are loved and I think, as long as that satisfying, crunchy combat is in place, fans will welcome the new game no matter what.

LordOfChaos

Looks tight and a lot more true to the series compared to 343s take on Halo.

Some day, I hope we get to see Bungies original Halo Bible, if there was such a thing as there was rumored, so that we can know if such comments were founded or not. They did set up Requiem at least in 3.

JimiNutz

Banned
So the overwhelming consensus is no reticule. Hopefully the Shotgun isn't inconsistent then because sometimes it seemed to me that I was aiming at a guy and nothing happened... Maybe I'm just missing but it's hard to tell with no reticule.

Top Bottom