• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 is now up for preload on PC

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I haven't been able to get the download started once. I do have all the latest updates installed including the one listed in the OP and have continually reset the windows store cache before trying to download from the library screen.

So far, same error - there's a problem on our end.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Well, trying the Fiddler method seemed to be working. I've got pretty much the entire file except may 100MB. Ufortunately, the link to the download expired, and to get a new one I have to start a download again through the store for fiddler to catch it. But now the fucking piece of shit store won't even load.

Chris R

I will say that I had ZERO issues installing the .eappx file I downloaded via a torrent for Forza Horizon for people that are having issues downloading this from the Windows Store.

Download speed slowed down, so still two hours to go. No joke, I've spent about 23 out of the last 28 hours working on this. Complete insanity. Never experienced anything like this before. Everything 'Windows' is shitting the bed left right and center.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is nuts. My internet isn't fast enough to deal with downloading 75GB multiple times.

leng jai

As someone with a 500GB data cap which maxes out at 1.1MB/s downloading games off the Windows Store is a terrifying prospect.

abracadaver

I have been following this guide to download the game

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/52wdk6/guide_how_to_download_a_windows_store_game_and/

also i used the "Ninja download manager"

Only problem is that you have to repeat the process (but not the download) sometimes because the URL changes.

Not even this works for me

Seems like the windows store does not start the download at all. There are no connections made to any ms servers while the download shows progress...

Xyber

Well this is a good start. I try to download and I just get a message that says "Try again later, something went wrong on our servers"

MaLDo

Guys, what's the full size of the game folder (Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.1.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)?

Mine is 73,3 GB (198 files, 41 folders) and store says it's downloaded and ready to launch.

Xyber

I finally got my download started.

MS store is a piece of hot garbage and I hate that I have to deal with it to play the games I want.

Guys, what's the full size of the game folder (Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.1.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)?

Mine is 73,3 GB (198 files, 41 folders) and store says it's downloaded and ready to launch.

That's exactly what mine is.

dIj0fwM.jpg

horkrux

It downloaded the game for me without a problem. I was even pausing it a few times when I wanted the bandwidth back and it resumed np.

That's a terrible idea! I remember when people hated the idea of raising funds to "unlock" Deus Ex: Mankind Divided early.

it's more of a bonus for people who buy the ultimate edition. It comes w/ the game, the season pass and some other stuff. If you were someone who wanted the season pass anyway, then it isn't a bad buy to get it all bundled up and get early access as a bonus.

If the ultimate edition didn't include the season pass or anything else, I'd have a problem with it, but given the price of the included things individually being higher, I'm ok with it as a package deal.

Hale_C

What's the deal with the unlock times for the scrub non-ultimate edition? Is it a worldwide simultaneous or are some regions unlocking earlier? Need to know if I'm going to be VPN-ing tomorrow.

What's the deal with the unlock times for the scrub non-ultimate edition? Is it a worldwide simultaneous or are some regions unlocking earlier? Need to know if I'm going to be VPN-ing tomorrow.

Forza 3 was midnight EST for me, I'm thinking it's the same.

J4g3r

This is what I'm wondering.

When you try to launch the game now it tells you to check the store for the release date, but there is nothing on any of the store pages that specifies the release date/time. (As far as I can tell?)

Carlius

Banned
i still cant buy the god damn game...i keep getting an error on our side bullshit....wtf man. tried ordering a gift card, never got a code, had to refund. paypal and cc not working either. so much retarded shit on this store and the fact that you cant order from anywhere else is just the icing on the cake.

Hale_C

So I found this official release time table (couldn't find a larger version):

Gears-of-War-4-675614.jpg

Looks like NZ is getting it first on Monday at 4am PDT (12am Tuesday for them), which works out as Monday at 12pm here in the UK. At least, that's how I understand it. Anyone had experience using VPNs to unlock on the Windows store?

So I found this official release time table (couldn't find a larger version):

Gears-of-War-4-675614.jpg

Looks like NZ is getting it first on Monday at 4am PDT (12am Tuesday for them), which works out as Monday at 12pm here in the UK. At least, that's how I understand it. Anyone had experience using VPNs to unlock on the Windows store?

It's based on what store you bought it from. VPN won't work.

e.g. if you had bought it from the NZ store, you could play monday @ 12pm your time.

Hale_C

It's based on what store you bought it from. VPN won't work.

e.g. if you had bought it from the NZ store, you could play monday @ 12pm your time.

Aha, ok thanks. Well I bought it from the Singapore store, so it's going to be 5pm Monday UK time. Not bad- better than midnight!

Carlius

Banned
lmao finally got around to getting paypal to work on buying a 60 dollar gift card...but nope, its plus tax, so now i cant buy it so i ordered a new 10 dollar gift card, and now the code wont get sent. AMAZING.

bes.gen

mine is seemingly downloading alright, but file size shows as 66.6GB not 75 as other people.

there is a problem and the windows will realize it after downloading it all, i guess right?

Still having problems getting this working. Managed to get the file downloaded using the above-linked solutions, but getting it to install via PowerShell is not working. I'm about to go all Michael Douglas 'Falling Down' on the MS Redmond HQ, I am so beyond pissed.

Finally! After four failed tries, the fix that works for me was the Fiddler method from Reddit . I used JDownloader2 for download the package and it installed without problem :)

That MS Store is a mess for download apps, too much problems :/

BajiBoxer

Banned
Finally! After four failed tries, the fix that works for me was the Fiddler method from Reddit . I used JDownloader2 for download the package and it installed without problem :)

That MS Store is a mess for download apps, too much problems :/

Awesome! I just got it to work on my 10th(?) try. You know, I don't even know how many tries it took. I too used the Fiddler method.

Awesome! I just got it to work on my 10th(?) try. You know, I don't even know how many tries it took. I too used the Fiddler method.

Yeah, is very frustrating when you spend a bunch of hours downloading a huge game on the Win Store and it fails. That fiddler method works perfectly on my first try!

But I have a doubt now. After installing, the game stills appears on the Win Store as downloading (paused and about 20mb only), do i need keep it that way? Or I can simply stop that download, and after that, the game will appear as installed and ready to play on the Store too?

Edit: The OP on Reddit answered this question :D, you can just cancel it and it will appear as installed just fine

JB1981

Has there been any official word from MS about the issues people have experienced trying to download this from the store? I still can't download it and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do the workarounds people are doing here

Sounds like the windows store was not really tested with apps bigger than a few hundred megs in mind

Pretty much my thoughts at this point. Seems like the stars and the moon have to align in order to avoid disaster.

Edit: For the peeps doing the Reddit method, how long did the install take after the download completed?

Edit2: Error on install. I give up. I've been working on this almost nonstop since Friday morning. Fuck off, Microsoft.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Pretty much my thoughts at this point. Seems like the stars and the moon have to align in order to avoid disaster.

Edit: For the peeps doing the Reddit method, how long did the install take after the download completed?

Edit2: Error on install. I give up. I've been working on this almost nonstop since Friday morning. Fuck off, Microsoft.

I'm curious, what error are you getting?

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yeah, is very frustrating when you spend a bunch of hours downloading a huge game on the Win Store and it fails. That fiddler method works perfectly on my first try!

But I have a doubt now. After installing, the game stills appears on the Win Store as downloading (paused and about 20mb only), do i need keep it that way? Or I can simply stop that download, and after that, the game will appear as installed and ready to play on the Store too?

Edit: The OP on Reddit answered this question :D, you can just cancel it and it will appear as installed just fine

lol, glad to hear. I didn't bother to check the store afterward since I didn't want to tempt fate. All I knew was that it was working and figured I'd leave the rest well enough alone.

Top Bottom