• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 is now up for preload on PC

BajiBoxer

Banned
Has there been any official word from MS about the issues people have experienced trying to download this from the store? I still can't download it and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do the workarounds people are doing here

I haven't come across any official word from Microsoft after searching in a minor rage for a bit. The work around comes from Forza Horizon 3 which I think had very similar problems. I do recall my Forza download having a problem, though I think that one worked itself out for me after I did the cache clear or something simple.

Unfortunately, the Windows Store problems seem to run pretty deep. As hard as they pushed Windows 10, and as important as the store seemed to be to Microsoft and their future plans, it's a little shocking at how broken it can be on a fundamental level.

I'm curious, what error are you getting?

Sorry - I didn't happen to take note. The install seemed to be plugging along pretty well in the PowerShell window, then a big block of white text on a red background.

I decided to try again from the Windows store and install to my ssd this time and it seems to be going through...

Edit: 75 gigs and frozen

For some reason the install button wont even show up for me. I tired clearing the windows store cache and doesnt seem to work. Anyone have an idea what might work?

mboojigga

Been playing on my Xbox One but had this pre-loaded on my PC and since Thursday night have not been able to play. It shows 73GB downloaded game in Windows store and the logo comes up and then goes back to desktop. No error message or anything. I can just keep pressing play and the same results. Have redownloaded on the same SSD drive and different drives along with moving it from one drive to another and simply cannot go beyond the logo.

I have had no issue with Forza H3 on Thursday night of release or anything else from Windows Store until this game.

RedStep

Reposting here since I've been unable to get a response to date. I'd like to confirm that the Windows version is the issue in the first place, and then figure out what to do since I can't roll back to a version that works (aside from a full system reinstall)

PezRadar (or anybody else from The Coalition): Can you comment on the issue with users in the Windows Insider Program not being able to play at all?

There is a "Known Issue" posted on the GOW forums that mentions v.14396 not being able to play, but I'm on v.14391 and getting the same thing (splash screen, then nothing). Others are on the newest update (past 14396, not sure the version) and are having the same problem. Posts on the forums have received no responses from TC, so I'm not sure what we're supposed to do.

Reinstalling Windows from scratch is not an acceptable workaround to play a game - wiith the 10-day limit on system rollbacks now, we can't just pop back to a compatible version. Thank you!

This is an example of the Event Log for this:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
Date: 08/10/2016 20:30:32
Event ID: 5985
Task Category: (5961)
Level: Error
Keywords:
Description:
ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!GearGameShippingPublic for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The remote procedure call failed..
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>

Been playing on my Xbox One but had this pre-loaded on my PC and since Thursday night have not been able to play. It shows 73GB downloaded game in Windows store and the logo comes up and then goes back to desktop. No error message or anything. I can just keep pressing play and the same results. Have redownloaded on the same SSD drive and different drives along with moving it from one drive to another and simply cannot go beyond the logo.

I have had no issue with Forza H3 on Thursday night of release or anything else from Windows Store until this game.

Same issue here, also your username sucks. Reversing two parts of a racial slur doesn't make it okay.

mboojigga

Reposting here since I've been unable to get a response to date. I'd like to confirm that the Windows version is the issue in the first place, and then figure out what to do since I can't roll back to a version that works (aside from a full system reinstall)

PezRadar (or anybody else from The Coalition): Can you comment on the issue with users in the Windows Insider Program not being able to play at all?

There is a "Known Issue" posted on the GOW forums that mentions v.14396 not being able to play, but I'm on v.14391 and getting the same thing (splash screen, then nothing). Others are on the newest update (past 14396, not sure the version) and are having the same problem. Posts on the forums have received no responses from TC, so I'm not sure what we're supposed to do.

Reinstalling Windows from scratch is not an acceptable workaround to play a game - wiith the 10-day limit on system rollbacks now, we can't just pop back to a compatible version. Thank you!

This is an example of the Event Log for this:

Same issue here, also your username sucks. Reversing two parts of a racial slur doesn't make it okay.

Been on GAF since 2009 your the first person to have an issue with my name and assume that it was purposely done to promote racial slurs?

Just for the record the M stands for my first name, Boo(from the song Ghost Town DJ's) and Jigga referring to my favorite rapper Jay-Z.

jediyoshi

I guess pausing the download is not a good idea?

Keeping it paused for an extended amount of time is bad.

Among all the things that can go wrong with a digital distribution service, the idea that a download can 'expire' is fucking absurd.

Well I was getting some game freezes where I would have to force restart. So in a bid to try and cure it I tried re-installing a few things, including the game.

So last night I deleted it and started the install again, leaving it going overnight. Check today and it has errored. Reason being that the download maxed my internet out 100% which eventually locked my router up, requiring a reset.

So now I try to start the game again, and it won't do it. Stating an 'error on our end' or some bullshit.

If I don't get this working today that will be refund number 2 (forza), this is pathetic.

Khasim

I managed to download and install using the Fiddler and Powershell method, I can even play multiplayer, but I do have a question - since Windows Store is still trying to download the game, will I ever be able to get any possible updates or patches?

Okay got the download started again. Also installed NetLimiter to cap the store to 6MB which is about 80% of my max throughput. Luckily I have two broadband services at home, one dedicated to business, otherwise my company would collapse trying to download a computer game lmao!

Let's see what happens this time!

For a company like Microsoft to have so many problems with something so seemingly simple, it's truly embarrasing. I'm sure they will fix everything soon enough but yikes!

bes.gen

For a company like Microsoft to have so many problems with something so seemingly simple, it's truly embarrasing. I'm sure they will fix everything soon enough but yikes!

wouldn't bet on it.
quantum break download was a similar mess and nothing seems to have changed in the 6 months since that.

Lister

Banned
Its got to be frustraing to the developer who obviously cared about the pc version, giving it a hell of a lot more love than most AAA games devs do, to have these ridiculous store front issues.

Common Microsoft. Do better than this. Whatever these guys go on to do on pc, you better believe Ill be supporting.In fact i wanted to upgrade my order to ultimate, when the quality of the pc support was revealed, something that most games on ateam support and can be done easily, but not on the windows store...

Also when does the regular version unlock? I woke up early thinking i was get some playtime before listy junior woke up, but no dice!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
This Windows 10 Store is so fucking garbage. Still can't download the game.

xupmUE1.png

How is this even possible, for all the shit people say about Uplay and Origin, their clients actually work and let me download games to begin with.

JB1981

This is incredible. I'm going to have to buy a XBone S to play this game aren't I? Maybe this was the plan all along

Also - can we change the thread title so that more attention it drawn to this issue?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Well, those are Insider Builds (14936 and 14931), and you clearly accepted to run beta-software, so you just have to blame yourself and not MS nor Coalition for using a beta-OS being tested and not running your paid games.

Don't get me wrong, I was in the exact same boat, and so a friend of mine did, we got to reinstall our Windows 10 and redownload all our games, and finally leave this damn Insider builds for good, it's only getting worse and you can't rely on it anymore, there's old bugs that won't get fixed until public release, and some huge bugs with Xbox Live.

In the lates build (14942 I think), Xbox Live just don't work anymore, because the separated services processes and did not even test the Xbox Live service, how could this go from the internal ring to the fast ring ?

Just don't use Insider Builds outside of the Release Preview, in this mode you only get minor updates and Inside apps updates, but not bugged builds.

Vic_Viper

Is there a good solution to download this in chunks? If I leave this downloading over night it'll error out as soon as the connection drops and completely looses all the progress. Is Fiddler the only option? Is there an easier solution?

Coolade

Yeah its there but no install button. My w10 is up to date as well. Install button is their for other games just not gow4.

The only thing that fixed all of my windows 10 issues was doing a refresh. I did the initial upgrade from windows 8 to 10, then the anniversary update and had nothing but problems. Back up everything, (bookmarks, game saves etc), do a system refresh, and your problems should go away, if you've reached your breaking point and are willing to go nuclear.

Khasim

I had to upgrade to Anniversary and download all updates in order to be able to start dowbloading, so if anyone hasn't done that yet, that will probably fix it for you. Used to have build no 14-something and now I'm on 16-something.

You also don't need 20GB of free space on the system partition like the installer days, just download the media creation tool and upgrade that way, this only requires 8GB.

IronRinn

Glad I didn't see this thread when I downloaded my copy or I would have been shitting myself. Took almost a day but I managed to download and install it without a problem. Really dodged a bullet, it seems. What a mess.

Welp, just got to the end of the download and it threw an error. (0x80070490).

It seems to try and install a final 43MB or so and then just fails.

What fucking bullshit. Refund time, I'm sick of this shit.

Vic_Viper

Only problem I had was pausing the download removed the game entirely and I had to redownload over night.

Yea this is my ongoing problem. If I use the fiddler method do I also need a download manager if I need to pause it or restart it if my internet connection drops?

Does anyone have a link for a torrent of the eappx? This would solve my problem completely.

What's the best way to get a refund?

I got up to 75 gigs and then it stopped. Resetting store to try and un stuck it somehow reset the download.

This is, like, attempt number 13 or something. Probably downloaded 500 gigs over the weekend.

Edit: Should mention I was in chat with MS support for almost an hour and they were zero help.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Yea this is my ongoing problem. If I use the fiddler method do I also need a download manager if I need to pause it or restart it if my internet connection drops?

Does anyone have a link for a torrent of the eappx? This would solve my problem completely.

The URL contains a token, so if you pause it after some hours, you might not be able to restart it (I think that's why the Store restarts but sometime can continue if the token is still valid), but you can do the Fiddler thing again and get the new URL, then change the URL in your download manager to continue and not restart from scratch.

Noob question:
I have three screens (2 monitors via DPI and one TV via HDMI). Games run on one monitor and the other two monitors just show the desktop. Does doing that take a hit on the GPU? Would my PC think I am running the game on three screens? Do I have to disconnect the other two screens while playing to focus the GPU on one game?

JustinT

Neo Member
What's the best way to get a refund?

I got up to 75 gigs and then it stopped. Resetting store to try and un stuck it somehow reset the download.

This is, like, attempt number 13 or something. Probably downloaded 500 gigs over the weekend.

Edit: Should mention I was in chat with MS support for almost an hour and they were zero help.

Call them. I worked for Xbox support, if you haven't played it you'll get a refund.

dsk1210

Well, those are Insider Builds (14936 and 14931), and you clearly accepted to run beta-software, so you just have to blame yourself and not MS nor Coalition for using a beta-OS being tested and not running your paid games.

Don't get me wrong, I was in the exact same boat, and so a friend of mine did, we got to reinstall our Windows 10 and redownload all our games, and finally leave this damn Insider builds for good, it's only getting worse and you can't rely on it anymore, there's old bugs that won't get fixed until public release, and some huge bugs with Xbox Live.

In the lates build (14942 I think), Xbox Live just don't work anymore, because the separated services processes and did not even test the Xbox Live service, how could this go from the internal ring to the fast ring ?

Just don't use Insider Builds outside of the Release Preview, in this mode you only get minor updates and Inside apps updates, but not bugged builds.

Wow, what a condescending post.

I have 650 games on my PC and they all work on the insider program.

You don't think Microsoft should check there software works on their latest versions?

Wow, what a condescending post.

I have 650 games on my PC and they all work on the insider program.

You don't think Microsoft should check there software works on their latest versions?

Then you're lucky.

You shouldn't expect unreleased versions of operating systems to work with everything. There are builds where windows explorer file copying doesn't work right and they still get released to insiders because that's what fast ring people sign up for.

and I doubt you've actually tested all 650 of those games on your current build.. I'd be surprised if all of them work perfectly. Sometimes a build is fine and has no major issues that affect software that you may try to use, sometimes major parts of windows don't work right and have issues without even thinking about third party programs.

Can anybody clarify what's available splitscreen on Gears 4 for PC? If it's got horde mode co op I am in, but I'm finding conflicting results.

bede-x

Finally downloading:

Well, at least on Xbox. Where am I supposed to find it on PC? In the Windows Store it still says "only bundle" ("kun i bundt" in Danish) and clicking on the game below that, it gives me the option of buying it (I have the Anniversary "update" installed).

In the my games section of the Xbox App there's no Gears 4. Candy Crush and Solitaire seems to be there for some reason, with no obvious way of removing them, but it's Gears 4 I want to find..

RedStep

I'm not blaming anybody - I just want to confirm that the Insider Build is the problem and not something else. The game doesn't launch at all, they have a known problem listed but only for one version, which I'm not on. If it's actually many versions that don't work, the team should be aware of it. The silence is odd, you'd think they'd want to at least add the other non-compatible versions to their Known Issues.

Refund done.

That's 2 out of 2, and on 2 fantastic games as well. Fix your shit Microsoft!

I guess now I need to watch Act V on YouTube to find out what happens!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Refund done.

That's 2 out of 2, and on 2 fantastic games as well. Fix your shit Microsoft!

I guess now I need to watch Act V on YouTube to find out what happens!

It's fucking sad that people have to do this! Fucking MS! Fix your shit. I was this close to getting a refund myself and magically it downloaded over night on Friday. People are refunding a perfectly solid PC port because your store is shit and won't download.

Thank God I don't see myself needing to DL anything off of there for a long time.

It's fucking sad that people have to do this! Fucking MS! Fix your shit. I was this close to getting a refund myself and magically it downloaded over night on Friday. People are refunding a perfectly solid PC port because your store is shit and won't download.

Thank God I don't see myself needing to DL anything off of there for a long time.

Yes it's really sad. I think Horizon 3 and Gears 4 are the only two games i have ever refunded, and they are both great games.

Whatever the issues are Microsoft needs to 100% have them fixed before their next big game lands. Whether it be the general expected performance for a PC game or the laughably bad Windows Store.

bede-x

This is without comparison the most trouble I've ever had trying to download a game I bought. Seven attempts so far:

"Try again later, something went wrong" it says in Danish, every single time.

And this in addition of an annoying forced Anniversary "upgrade" and trouble both locating and getting Windows Store to recognize my purchase. From now on no Steam, no buy. I gave it a shot.

Top Bottom