• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War 4 multiplayer beta impressions and footage

Theorry

More coming and will update it.

Gears of War 4 Multiplayer Plays It Safe (For Now)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ge...afe-for-now/1100-6438821/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Gears of War 4 multiplayer changes things up in some cool ways

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ltiplayer-changes-things-up-in-some-cool-ways

Gears of War 4 - Beta Impressions

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/406353/Gears of War 4 - Beta Impressions/

If you like Gears of War 3, you're in for a treat.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/14/gears-of-war-4-multiplayer-beta-preview-nice-to-saw-you-again

Test Chamber – Checking Out Gears Of War 4's Multiplayer And New Dodgeball Mode

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

-----

Outside Xbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3OcsXewxk

Xbox On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iHmjJUpd9c

SASxSH4DOWZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTUikuAWWM

---

The Coalition is doing something pretty cool with maps. Here's how it works: the game comes with 10 maps (nine new and a remake of Gridlock). Those you own, as you'd expect, and you're free to play them whenever you want.

But, post-launch maps will be added to the mix each month in a rotation. It's a bit like what League of Legends does with its champions. The idea here is to avoid splitting the userbase by selling map packs, as Gears games have done in the past. Instead, The Coalition will curate its DLC map offering.

If you want to play a DLC map when it's out of rotation, you can buy it with real-world money. From there, you can host a private match, inviting nine friends to play the map you've bought. The cool thing is those nine friends don't need to own the map to play. They just need the invite from someone who does.

During our preview we got to try a new mode called Dodgeball, although this one doesn't involve a ball at all. Rather, it lifts the rule where you can bring a teammate back into the game by eliminating an opponent. Die once and you'll be out of the game and placed in a first-in-first-out queue, and assuming your team don't royally suck, you should be back in the game shortly.

Still, it makes you value your lives a little more, and there were a few times where we felt the pressure of being the last teammate standing, knowing everyone was watching and waiting to be brought back in. Worth noting that there's a five second wait between killing an opponent and a teammate being brought back in, just to make it a little trickier.

There are also new guns to play with. The Dropshot is our favorite of the two revealed so far, and replaces the Digger Launcher from previous games. The Dropshot launches a drill bit that flies over enemies and then, once you execute at the right moment, will drop down through your enemy's skull and turn their entrails into a human merry-go-round. Delicious.

Gears 4 adds skill-based ranking in addition to the standard XP levels. When the game launches there will be five ranks: copper, silver, gold, onyx and master.

Fergusson said that the franchise has always tried to put equally skilled players against one another, but that this system was hiding in the code away from players' view. That could get confusing when a Level 5 player found themselves up against a Level 60. Gears 4 has a more public-facing ranking system that hopes to get around the problem.

According to Fergusson, the inspiration for the skill-based hierarchy comes from real-time strategy games like StarCraft and MOBAs like League of Legends.

gow4-attrape.gif

gow4-dropshot.gif

gow4-derriere-mur.gif

GIFs from some of 8 gameplay videos here :
http://www.xboxygen.com/Medias/Vide...couvrez-nos-8-videos-de-gameplay-multi-maison

R3TRODYCE

Gamespot- With so much added to the overall experience, it's somewhat disappointing to report the actual gameplay is enjoyable yet unremarkable.

Yep, that's what I was thinking from the footage. The gameplay looks safe and dated.

pizzacat

Banned

Finaj

Considering how pissed people got when 343 decided to change up Halo's formula, I can understand Rod's desire to avoid that.

It is kind of weird to see how weak visually this looks relative to other current gen MP games. I expect Gears to be top tier and the SP stuff so far looked pretty nice visually.

Warxard

Banned
Escalation sounds incredible. Definitely will be my dedicated mode.

Expected REQ Pack-style model but I'm glad we can still choose to unlock the cosmetics the old fashioned way. but I did not expect the map model. So, the way I'm interpreting it is that: public matches and ranked matches will have all of the maps in rotation, but to use them in private games we have to purchase them?

Zeta Oni

pulling people over cover seems rather OP to me, how am I suppose to turtle battle the other guy lol

Not certain, but look at the bottom of the screen right before they get pulled over.

Seems to me to be a counter prompt.

Something they did mention:

The Studio has introduced a new takedown system that allows players to initiate a series of close-combat melee takedowns. In single player these might become fairly easy to pull off, but The Coalition has worked hard to ensure that, in multiplayer, players on the receiving end of these have several ways to counter the attacks and escape before a knife ends up in their brainpan.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...e-know-about-gears-of-war-4s-multiplayer.aspx

Im liking what I'm seeing

Has any video confirmed what this Spanish video hs said

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...multiplayer-ejecuciones-a-cuchillo_videogames

Maps are free but to play on private matches they need to be paid, he's the only one who has mentioned this from what I've seen

I can confirm. The Coalition answered questions from us about this (but in french text)
http://www.xboxygen.com/Focus/Inter...-repond-a-nos-questions-sur-les-maps-payantes

Every month, maps are in/out rotation and if you really want to play a map out of the rotation in private match (because you will not be able to in matchmaking), you'll have to pay for it or wait the map to become available again in the rotation. Only the host needs to have the map so everyone can play it.

Warxard

Banned
I can confirm. The Coalition answered questions from us about this (but in french text)
http://www.xboxygen.com/Focus/Inter...-repond-a-nos-questions-sur-les-maps-payantes

Every month, maps are in/out rotation and if you really want to play a map out of the rotation in private match (because you will not be able to in matchmaking), you'll have to pay for it or wait the map to become available again in the rotation.

Alright, that sounds fine.

Considering I might need to buy those maps for Horde anyway.... Hmm.

OMG! I need to beat Dark Souls III fast. This looks too good to miss!

It's wise to play save for a new studio.

Yeah, I think Rod said at some point that being a new studio they need to earn the trust of fans first, then they can try experimenting or try new things. It's a smart approach if you ask me.

MP is targeting 60 while SP is 30

Yeah sure and 1080/60 is probably no joke on Xbone. But the lighting in particular seems to be pretty bland at this stage. Sure it is early, but it is not super far off. Who knows? I will wait and see. I am much more interested in seeing what they do with SP anyway.

nice. i can't wait to stress test this multiplayer build for them. luckily we have what, 6 months, until the game is actually released?

Gonna love the improvements we're all gonna chime in on.

e3 gonna bring on the new sp footage and i cant wait to have some popcorn ready. :)

edit:
hehe
Dodgeball reinforces what I love best about Gears of War multiplayer: it's skill-based, and every player counts. Battles rage on a level playing field, no matter how many hours you've put in. Your Gnasher is as powerful as their Gnasher. And, crucially, because Gears is a five versus five PvP experience, every kill counts. You can make a difference. Conversely, if you die, it means something.

Dodgeball drills down into that feeling. When you're the last person standing, you're in cover, the camera's tight and the enemy team is on you, you know a few kills can even the odds. It's good fun!

Warxard

Banned
I felt like you had time to react to that and it caused them to come over to your side, a team mate would sometimes attack them.

Going to have to play to find out.

There was no time to react to Mantle Kicks, as the hitbox frame activation for the kick is so damn fast. 85% of the time you'd get kicked in 3.

Angel_DvA

look safe and it's what I wanted, Gears 3 has the best multiplayer ever, this one could top it if done right:

Free Maps, dedicated servers worldwide, be careful to early feedbacks and fix things quickly...

I can't wait for next week now.

pizzacat

Banned
There was no time to react to Mantle Kicks, as the hitbox frame activation for the kick is so damn fast. 85% of the time you'd get kicked in 3.
Your dash in mantle, either left or right, can be faster.

But like you said the frame data for that is wonky

pizzacat

Banned

Every month, maps are in/out rotation and if you really want to play a map out of the rotation in private match (because you will not be able to in matchmaking), you'll have to pay for it or wait the map to become available again in the rotation. Only the host needs to have the map so everyone can play it.
Is it by modes? I'm not sure about this idea, would I still be able to play on all maps if I own them all on another playlist?

Some maps, especially for gears, seem designed for one game mode and not the other. I wouldn't want to play koth to play a certain map that is terrible in koth anyway.

Blueblur1

The REQ-style system is disappointing. Just let me unlock characters as I gain experience and sell weapon skins to the people that want to pay $30 for those ridiculous bundles.

Also, the DLC map plan is disappointing as well. I would preferred the precedent that Halo 5 set; give them to everyone for free. Now we will end up in situations where the maps that end up in rotation at some intervals will be maps people hate. Or situations where the favorite launch maps get moved out to put new maps in which could be equally frustrating.

Considering how pissed people got when 343 decided to change up Halo's formula, I can understand Rod's desire to avoid that.

But....That was up until people played it.

If H5 had changed things and we all bitched and moaned and then the game ended up sucking well then I could understand them being cautious but the MP in H5 is better than Halo has ever been.

I'm watching all this footage and it seriously looks like I'm watching stuff from 5 years ago. I just don't see anything all that exciting about jumping back in. If I wanted this I can get my fill with Gears 1 UE.

How could you guys have not been spending all this time imagining what a next gen Gears was going to look like and now how it was going to play?

Maybe its my fault for having to high of expectations but I was daydreaming about the weather presenting a huge threat to levels or creating really crazy cover and flanking opportunities and I'm not seeing anything like that.

MP is alpha footage still.

I will eat serious crow if in 6 months this looks significantly different. I think its important that people set their expectations

Glad it plays more like Gears 3 since that was the best GoW. Those graphics however are nothing to be excited about at the moment.

Loomba

Eurogamer said:
It's important to note that you can counter a Yank and Shank. There's a brief window of opportunity to do it. But if you mistime the counter, you're dead.

There is a counter window to getting pulled over cover. That's a relief at least.

When it comes to Gears, more of the same but with tweaks is OK with me. It's not a first person shooter, many of which have grown stale. Im looking forward to jumping back in.

shoreu

The REQ-style system is disappointing. Just let me unlock characters as I gain experience and sell weapon skins to the people that want to pay $30 for those ridiculous bundles.

Also, the DLC map plan is disappointing as well. I would preferred the precedent that Halo 5 set; give them to everyone for free. Now we will end up in situations where the maps that end up in rotation at some intervals will be maps people hate. Or situations where the favorite launch maps get moved out to put new maps in which could be equally frustrating.

I'm confused which one are they using. It's kinda confusing to use both

pizzacat

Banned
I should note that only the host needs to own it.

All 9 others and 2 observers can join in and play it.
Is the rotation based off modes? Would there be different maps for different modes? Is there customizable pieces of armor like the beta reward for Kait alludes to?

If you can't answer I understand

I really liked Rod's response to this question from the Gamespot article:

Do you think it cutting ties to the previous generation of characters makes that easier or harder? Judgment was a different type of game, but it benefitted from having Baird, Cole, and other iconic characters.

Fergusson: That’s a great question and what we’re trying to understand. It’s one of the reasons we kept it on Sera. We looked at how much we could change and felt that if we’re going to do a new cast and monsters, we can’t also have a new location. We needed some touchstones to the past to keep people grounded and keep it Gears. I think that it’ll be interesting to see if people come along for the ride. That’s part of having a legacy and bringing in the next generation.

Go back to the Next Generation of Star Trek, without Kirk is it Star Trek? How do you deal with Piccard? It’s a lot of those types of questions. Can you deliver on that experience? At least the mechanics and the world are kind of the the same, but we’re also taking it somewhere else. I’m hoping that not everything is going to be "Where’s Marcus?" I want it to be, "This guy is cool" or "I see where this is going and I can’t wait to explore this relationship." I’m hoping the familiarity is what gets people through the door to see what we’re going for.

If this is pre alpha then that actually looks quite decent. I think it's safe to assume that the full game will have much nicer lighting and effects.

Top Bottom