• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Developer The Coalition Working on New IP

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the latest episode of his "The Game Mess Show," Venture Beat's Jeff Grubb spilled the beans about The Coalition working on a new intellectual property. Xbox Game Studios is working hard to release Halo Infinite later this year, and The Coalition has joined the efforts, but the new IP may give fans of the Gears of War franchise something else to appreciate from The Coalition.

Apparently, the team is not only working on a new installment in the Gears franchise, helping 343 Industries with Halo Infinite, and working on the recently reported Xbox Star Wars game, but The Coalition is also working on a new IP altogether. According to Grubb, this third item on The Coalition's to-do list is probably a long way from release, but it's another project that will further expand the Gears of War developer's catalog.

"Gears studio, The Coalition, is busy," said Jeff Grubb during The Game Mess Show. "They are working on Halo, they are helping with Halo Infinite. That is one of the big projects that Coalition is contributing to in a major way. Coalition is also, of course, making the next Gears game, of course, they're gonna do that. But the Coalition is also working on a third thing, and it likely is a new IP."

The Coalition is well-known for Gears of War, but not for much else which is about to change according to these rumours from Grubb. While he doesn't seem positive that this third title isn't related to Star Wars, Grubb remains confident that The Coalition has a trio of titles in the works between the 200 developers at the studio. Lucasfilm has reportedly been looking at other studios such as Ubisoft to make future Star Wars games and it looks like The Coalition is going to be releasing a future Xbox exclusive Star Wars title. Since The Coalition is part of the Xbox Game Studios, it's likely that both the unannounced Star Wars game and the new IP will wind up on Xbox Game Pass day one.

"Now, I've heard rumors that it could be a Star Wars thing from out of the Coalition, but I haven't been able to confirm that and these are rumors that have been kicked around a few different places, so it's hard to track down. Basically, I'm not putting any money on that... But, The Coalition is working on a third thing, so we'll see what that turns into. It's probably still quite a ways off, and whether that comes out before the new Gears, I don't know. Maybe it's in the prototype phase, but they are considering something new."

jhjfss

gimme want GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I thought Gears of War 4 was a big miss but Gears 5 was good IMO. I'd be down for a new IP

Years and years of promises, insights and projects are starting to make me pissed.
Yeah, I know that things needs time, I'm just tired of very very early talking.
Yep, after the shitty game that Gears 5 turned out to be I'm pissed they haven't already got another game lined up for release. They need to stop wasting time supporting it too, seeing as how it's a piece of garbage that nobody wants to play. Fuck these shitty developers for releasing a game before the Series X was released. They should have waited, or at least they should be pumping out a AAA game every 2 years.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Gears studio, The Coalition, is busy," said Jeff Grubb during The Game Mess Show. "They are working on Halo, they are helping with Halo Infinite. That is one of the big projects that Coalition is contributing to in a major way. Coalition is also, of course, making the next Gears game, of course, they're gonna do that. But the Coalition is also working on a third thing, and it likely is a new IP."

That's too much work load. Fuckin 343, can those incompetent devs do anything without help from other teams smh.
Sorry but im really pissed at 343 and way they work.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So after pumping out sequels for other people's IP, they finally get a shot? Good.

Good news if true, always disliked that their biggest studios at the time , most of them were single IP outlets.

It should of been sooner, along with making Gears 5 they could have had something ready around launch or early 2021 for Series X.

The Alien

Banned
Cool that while they were snatching up studios, Microsoft was also funding the expansion of their existing.

Why didn't Coalition have anything going other than Gears? Because they didn't have the capabilities and resources that they now have.

Huge Gears fan...so I'm glad they working on another entry, but am excited to see how they bring their great gameplay know how to a new IP (and an open world Mandalorian game would be awesome).

Gears studio, The Coalition, is busy," said Jeff Grubb during The Game Mess Show. "They are working on Halo, they are helping with Halo Infinite. That is one of the big projects that Coalition is contributing to in a major way. Coalition is also, of course, making the next Gears game, of course, they're gonna do that. But the Coalition is also working on a third thing, and it likely is a new IP."

That's too much work load. Fuckin 343, can those incompetent devs do anything without help from other teams smh.
Sorry but im really pissed at 343 and way they work.
I understand your frustration but Halo Infinite is by any yardstick a massive game. Single-player (semi open world), Multi-player (Arena and probably something on a bigger scale), Forge and god knows what else they've got planned. Still great news that the coalition is making something other than Gears.

PuffyCan

I hope they let all their studios do this , let's see 343 make something else that's not halo. Would also love to see Turn 10 try something else. No more studios making the same ip forever, have more than one team per studio.

truth411

If this is true, then there spread WAAAAAY too thin. Either bump up staffing to 500 or just focus on a Next gen Gears with a New IP as a long term project. Still even if they do that they would need at least 300 devs.

I hope they let all their studios do this , let's see 343 make something else that's not halo. Would also love to see Turn 10 try something else. No more studios making the same ip forever, have more than one team per studio.
Honestly I think it would be much healthier if devs were required to take a break from a franchise after 2 entries. That's not to say forever, but studios should be required to try making a game of a different genre before going back to their bread and butter. We'd get a lot of interesting games and then once the devs do go back to their baby they'd be coming off a nice break/diversion.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Good news, IMO they're wasting their skills on milking Gears, they can push the franchise further only so much, so let's see what they'll come up with once given the creative freedom.

Fredrik

Good news, IMO they're wasting their skills on milking Gears, they can push the franchise further only so much, so let's see what they'll come up with once given the creative freedom.
I don’t see why Gears is stopping them from doing anything. They just need to think outside of the box. Gears could be anything, Epic/343 has created a whole world by now, they could make any type of game in any genre and still stay within the Gears universe. Racing, fighting, RPG, platformer, flight simulator, FPS, TPS, puzzle game, card game, shmup. Anything.

So after pumping out sequels for other people's IP, they finally get a shot? Good.

I like how they're a 1st party developer literally tasked to handle the Gears franchise..but you consider them talent wasted on "some other people's ip" in need of "a shot"..

These guys went from making Relic Rescue and Microsoft Flight to helming a billion dollar franchise. That's what you call a shot. And they're doing a damn good job at it.

If you want to talk "wasted talent on other peoples ips" you need to direct that energy to Sony about Bluepoint.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s funny pc gamers are like “why isn’t Horizon on PC” yet you don’t get that on ps5 and gears.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gears needs to cool off. Big sellers in the 360 days, but unlike some shooters that have held popularity or even gained, the Gears gameplay mechanic is stiff and outdated.

I dot think the typical Xbox fan even cares about the series much anymore. Now if this was Gears 1-3 different story.

One Gears game every generation tops. So maybe once every 5-6 years.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Coalition is one of Xbox's most beloved developers, but the studio has been mostly quiet over the last few years. However, it seems the Gears of War team is hard at work on "several unannounced projects." That bit of information was revealed by Xbox marketing GM Aaron Greenberg during a fan event in Bogota, Colombia. While Greenberg offered no elaboration on what the studio is working on next, he did take time to praise The Coalition's skills with Unreal Engine, also revealing that the team pitched in on last year's The Matrix Awakens.

Several unannounced projects sounds promising. I would love for them to spin up something new in addition to gears. Their games are so freaking polished

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
How big are The Coalition? I didn't like Gears of War 4 but I thought they did a really good job with Gears 5

reksveks

How big are The Coalition? I didn't like Gears of War 4 but I thought they did a really good job with Gears 5
Current LinkedIn number is 180.

Just adding that I don't trust LinkedIn numbers for accurate numbers. It's all up to the user so might be certain groups of users whom are adding themselves.

Last edited:

Barlow

We don't have real numbers for TC.
Even when they were 300+, the LinkedIn numbers were not correct.

Top Bottom