• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm not sure how to articulate and get my point across clearly but is it just me or does every game with the very odd exception seem to always get the same scores. It seems like every time I look into a review thread it gets scores from 7 - 9 and everyone pimping how awesome it is but then 6 - 12 months later it seems that sometimes that game wasn't that good after all.

I'm not sure how much worth I put into scores any more and I think I would like to wait on feedback from those who bought it and play it. Am I alone in this line in the thinking?

I didnt like Gears 1 and 2 but enjoyed 3 (the co-op especially), so maybe I am the odd one here :)

It's called the 7-10 scale around these parts.

I wanted to try this game but 4 maps and then I must pay for the rest? Come on!! I'm huge gears fan but I cannot support this lack of content it's inexcusable. I'm a little baffled they would make this kinda move. The gears games are normally pretty full of content. I want to play this but I can't support this crap. Dlc always bothered me but people kept buying it and now look where we are. Eventually every game will have a season pass.

DEADEVIL

I´m really confused..? are there 8 maps or 4 ..?

There are a total of 10 maps. 8 are shipping with the game and two are free.

Gears 3 shipped with 10 total maps.

The 2 packs that are coming later will ship with a total of 6 more maps.

At the end of the day, there are 16 total maps announced thus far.

Regardless of the muliplayer modes that ship with the game, you can easily add more as time goes by like Halo 4 has done over the months since it has launched.

I wanted to try this game but 4 maps and then I must pay for the rest? Come on!! I'm huge gears fan but I cannot support this lack of content it's inexcusable. I'm a little baffled they would make this kinda move. The gears games are normally pretty full of content. I want to play this but I can't support this crap. Dlc always bothered me but people kept buying it and now look where we are. Eventually every game will have a season pass.

Again Judgment ships with 8 maps and you get two for free for a total of 10.

Gears of War 3 shipped with 10 maps total.

Gears of War 3 = 10 maps . Gears of War: Judgement = 8 +2 = 10

Difference is Judgment is adding new modes, even finally adding Free for all for the first time plus you get to unlock the 40 declassification missions.

Ban Puncher

Wow. If you're trolling, whatever. But I really hope you can see what is wrong with what you just posted...

Buying a game from a series I have previously enjoyed but being able to recognise flaws with the product, pointing out it's shortcomings and not partaking in the season pass program is trolling now?

Well hot dang, time to go live under a bridge and eat gruff billy goats.

Hanmik

Regardless of the muliplayer modes that ship with the game, you can easily add more as time goes by like Halo 4 has done over the months since it has launched.

Difference is Judgment is adding new modes, even finally adding Free for all for the first time plus you get to unlock the 40 declassification missions.

ohh thanks for the clarification.. so I can play all multiplayer games on those 8+2 maps..? I´m still a bit confused I can see..

Tomcat

AFAIK there are 4 TDM maps and another 4 different maps for another game type. Considering they've been pimping the MP for this title and Gears is heavily TDM focused, it's a little silly.

actually its how you view it. Some may say that at least now a mode has its own maps that can be balanced and be a good experience for all. So people wont vote all the time the same map because the others are not good with the mode they are playing or balanced enough. If overrun is a fun mode then I don't care about all this situation. Day 1 there will be 8 maps to keep me interested until the new stuff.

ohh thanks for the clarification.. so I can play all multiplayer games on those 8+2 maps..? I´m still a bit confused I can see..
No. At launch there are four playable maps for versus, and 4 maps for overrun. Then later down the line they're adding two free vs maps. And then the season pass has a few more I think. All in all, still less than gears 3 without dlc.

h3ro

It's Gears of War. Trust me....It's broken. Some shit is bound to be all magnitudess of FUBAR.

You can't spell Gears without bullshit. Nothing like hitting someone square in the chest three times, only to find out that it does absolutely nothing. Next thing you know, they're looking at you funny, laughing their asses off while blasting you into spaghetti sauce. You hate it, but you want it.

Playing Gears for a while will to teach you to embrace the rage and love the hatred.

Looks like it is indeed a proper Gears launch then...

Glad I was able to get the newegg deal. $40 at launch seems right after seeing this dearth on content.

dreamfall

I think I got burnt out on Gears after 3. Played a ton of it within the first three months of launch, and then just stopped for some reason.

I'd like to close out this 360 gen by maybe revisiting all these titles, and playing them back to back. I'll pick this up eventually, as Gears 1 holds a special place in my heart. I think the sequels got progressively messier, but they did add some fantastic set pieces and great new weapons.

Glad to see the review scores so high. Overrun is fantastic, by far the best mp mode in any Gears game so far, and everything I have read about the sp sounds good. The wait to pick this up on Tuesday is killing me. I am really glad that the 30 is going out on such a high note.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DgYdM5h.gif

Well that helps. Then why are people saying 4 maps?

So the fact is that day 1, gears 3 had six more tdm maps than judgement does

Sojgat

I really want to play the campaign, but I'm going to hold off on puchasing this.

I'll wait until after I'm done with Bioshock, by which time Judgment will probably be half price.

smik

Played Some GOWJ today at a friends house.... Yeh the MP is total Shit, Gameplay and Map Design is totally mixed bag and the TDM/FFA maps have some really bad Line of sights.
Fucking digraceful that it has only 4 traditional MP maps and to top that off only 2 of them are Good/decent.

Overun mode will loses its novelty really quickly, 2 hour MP session and
i have seen everything and had enough, the shameless launch microtransactions also come off as really skummy.

Yeh, Biggest Gears Fan since GOW1 "06" but im actually not going to go out and buy this one
(same with some close friends, maybe for $30 & it will be pre-owned) im not supporting this shit.

so sad because GOW3 was Amazing.

TheOddOne

Eurogamer - 8/10
Slivers of character development slip out, but the series retains its tin ear for dialogue. Gone is the ludicrous, melodramatic machismo of the previous trilogy, but there's nothing equally distinctive to replace it. Bulletstorm showed that People Can Fly can bring an insouciant outsider's perspective to the brawny action hero genre, but its sly wit is absent here. The characters are mired in archetype and the return to the present day brings no twist or revelation to justify the flashback structure.

Similarly, the snappy arcade-paced sections slip down easily but very few leave much of an impression. A battle through Halvo Bay's wealthy districts, left ruined and bloodied by the Locust surge, offers a glimpse at a side of the Gears world we've not seen before. A pitched battle set around the remains of a victory parade from the Pendulum War manages to strike a poignant note, while the game's best section finds you storming a fortified beach, Normandy-style, before defending the same beach head later. The game's breakneck pace means that none of these ideas outstays its welcome, but also prevents them from flourishing into truly memorable encounters.
What pushes Judgment over the line from "pretty good" to "pretty great" is multiplayer...

Those are all fine, but standard fare. No, the secret weapon in Judgment's arsenal is OverRun, a hybrid game mode that pulls together the best elements of the series' online play into something epic and satisfying.

At heart, OverRun is a close relation to Battlefield's Rush mode. The COG team is on the defensive, holding back a player-controlled team of Locusts and (hopefully) preventing them from opening sealed Emergence Holes. Fail twice and the humans have to fall back to protect a generator. If the Locusts destroy that, it's all over. Similarly, if the COG can hold the line until the round timer runs out, the Hammer of Dawn fires up and obliterates the monsters.

With a fuss-free class system and tight, well-planned maps, OverRun is Gears multiplayer at its best, combining the strongest elements of deathmatch and survival game types into one nail-biting experience. There's a great balance between frantic action and tactical collaboration, while the addition of some verticality - reachable by the Scout class for sniping duty - subtly changes the ebb and flow. It's a mode where players of any skill level can find room to shine, but only the best will emerge with the medals and ribbons.
And - despite the danger of being seen as a last-gasp attempt to squeeze the last drops from the Xbox 360 - Judgment is a game with a long-term future. Everything about it is designed to encourage and reward repeat play, whether in the co-op campaigns or the multiplayer lobbies. Even the achievements are set up for the long haul, handing out small rewards for basic completion but saving the big paydays for rinsing the levels on the hardest settings and maxing out your character level multiple times.

Havok

Well that helps. Then why are people saying 4 maps?
Because the Gears multiplayer modes that people actually care about and will want to stick with long-term only get 4 maps at launch. Nobody in their right mind said that Halo: Reach shipped with 17 multiplayer maps just because Firefight Versus Generator Defense existed, which is a reasonably close analogue to the "Beast with objectives" style mode that Overrun is.

smik

Because the Gears multiplayer modes that people actually care about and will want to stick with long-term only get 4 maps. Nobody in their right mind said that Halo: Reach shipped with 17 multiplayer maps just because Firefight Versus Generator Defense, which is a reasonably close analog to the "Beast with objectives" style mode that Overrun is, existed.

Bingo!

Also the opposed 2 "free maps" are Disc Locked and will be released a month later, also GOW3 had the same thing Versus Booster Map Pack which featured five new maps, 3 already on disc Azura, Rustlung and Blood Drive two brand new maps, Bullet Marsh and Clocktower totaling to 15 maps which can be played across ALL MODES.

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/11/gears-of-war-3-versus-booster-map-pack-available-thursday/

Because the Gears multiplayer modes that people actually care about and will want to stick with long-term only get 4 maps at launch. Nobody in their right mind said that Halo: Reach shipped with 17 multiplayer maps just because Firefight Versus Generator Defense existed, which is a reasonably close analogue to the "Beast with objectives" style mode that Overrun is.

How do you know what modes people will want to stick with long term? Maybe survival will become the most played mode, or maybe overrun will. The only thing that sucks for PCF/Epic is that overrun and traditional mp are so different they cant share maps. If Horde/Beast hadent been able to share maps in Gears 3 we would have had the same low number of TDM maps in Gears 3. Hopefully they will get the first season pass map pack out quick.

shinnn

So the fact is that day 1, gears 3 had six more tdm maps than judgement does
Overrun maps are like 2x the normal map size. Even the demo is Overrun mode. Is that hard to understand that its not a usual Gears game? The focus is different.

But of course, nobody want more CODs, but the same people can't accept a game mode with real teamplay, instead of just looking for kills.

PerZona

Definitely picking this game out, one of my favorite gaming franchises.

I didn't really rely on gaming sites reviews ever since in this generation of gaming where moneyhats are involved in some way or another. Will only read reviews from actual gamers in Neogaf and other forums.

I still trust EDGE and Eurogamer though.

Havok

How do you know what modes people will want to stick with long term? Maybe survival will become the most played mode, or maybe overrun will. The only thing that sucks for PCF/Epic is that overrun and traditional mp are so different they cant share maps. If Horde/Beast hadent been able to share maps in Gears 3 we would have had the same low number of TDM maps in Gears 3. Hopefully they will get the first season pass map pack out quick.
Because Gears' long-term playerbase has traditionally lived and died with its arena competitive modes and that's what people have, for the most part, kept playing long after release. Looking at the current Gears 3 population, the competitive modes are currently outpopulating Horde and Beast combined 2500 to 750. That's a 3.33:1 ratio, and it doesn't count any of the Forces of Nature playlists that don't appear to have a population counter. People like the competitive multiplayer, and what I've played of Overrun didn't seem satisfy that same itch.

I just don't think this game, with the problem it seems to have with getting people even outside the general population to realize it exists, is going to find some new audience that is going to change that ratio all that much. It's going to sell to Gears fans who want what they want, but the experience that a sizable majority of them appear to want has been compromised by the logistics of providing maps to two wholly separate modes that can't use the same pool. I don't think that's the right choice, is all. I can't fathom any reason that those populations would flip like that all of a sudden, especially not with a side game like this.

GlamFM

Banned
I really think that whoever decides to make a review thread should make sure he´ll be around and has the time to update the OP as new reviews come in...

madmackem

Overrun maps are like 2x the normal map size. Even the demo is Overrun mode. Is that hard to understand that its not a usual Gears game? The focus is different.

But of course, nobody want more CODs, but the same people can't accept a game mode with real teamplay, instead of just looking for kills.

TDM will always be the most popular mode, this overrun will just be a side mode.

Mdk7

I really enjoyed the demo, but i think they did some weird (and probably wrong) choices with Team Deathmatch.
I fucking HATE the fact i can't stick grenades on walls anymore, i miss playing as a locust, i miss the down but not out mechanic, and i just don't feel the limitations of the weapon arsenal (no Lancer AND shotgun?!? Fuuuu).
I admire the bold ideas and the fact they tried to go into a different direction, but they should have left the option to play with the basic rules of Gears 3 IMHO... This way the MP is still fun, but a lot less rewarding and satisfying than before.

I'd really, really love a patch ASAP (at least for the grenades on wall, PLEASE Epic!).

I really enjoyed the demo, but i think they did some weird (and probably wrong) choices with Team Deathmatch.
I fucking HATE the fact i can't stick grenades on walls anymore, i miss playing as a locust, i miss the down but not out mechanic, and i just don't feel the limitations of the weapon arsenal (no Lancer AND shotgun?!? Fuuuu).
I admire the bold ideas and the fact they tried to go into a different direction, but they should have left the option to play with the basic rules of Gears 3 IMHO... This way the MP is still fun, but a lot less rewarding and satisfying than before.

I'd really, really love a patch ASAP (at least for the grenades on wall, PLEASE Epic!).

Grenades on walls suck. This game is already a better MP game than Gears 3 for leaving shit like wall tagging, stopping power and active reload damage boost out.

Kusagari

Wall tagging is the worst thing introduced to the Gears franchise outside of the sawed off.
Hopefully they're both gone from the inevitable Gears 4.

I don't play Gears for the multiplayer so I'll probably pick this up when it's $20 or so. It definitely doesn't look like something I need to play anytime soon.

Valentus

Yeah... GoW:A is a game that gets nothing new to the franchise: 7/10

New Gears of War game, nothing new to the franchise, 4 maps: 9.2/10

d2FuGdi.png

nailed it.

Just saw this. Overrun IS a competitive mode. So saying there are only 4 competitive multiplayer maps is disingenuous.

All I've seen is reviewers complain about the quantity of maps. How about tell us if those maps are any good. I would take 4 well-designed MP maps over 8 mediocre ones every single day.

shinnn

Yeah... GoW:A is a game that gets nothing new to the franchise: 7/10

New Gears of War game, nothing new to the franchise, 4 maps: 9.2/10
Don't know about Ascension, but Judgment do a lot of new things. Even the "4 maps" thing is because of an entire new mode (which is awesome in IGN opinion). Have you even read the review? lol

Almost all the reviews says that Judgment is a fresh experience in the Gears world.

edit: actually reading the lowest score reviews, some say its "identical" gameplay from previous Gears. What a joke.

Wall tagging is the worst thing introduced to the Gears franchise outside of the sawed off.
Hopefully they're both gone from the inevitable Gears 4.

Grenades on walls suck. This game is already a better MP game than Gears 3 for leaving shit like wall tagging, stopping power and active reload damage boost out.
I thought I was the only one who hated the wall grenades. It totally kills the flow of the game for me.

Top Bottom