• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War on PC...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I looked around the net, and like I said in another thread, this isn't anything TOO exciting. But again, I spoke to someone today, who's name I will refrain from mentioning, and when I asked about GOW on the PC he told me "Well, we haven't made any official announcements yet." And, when I pressed jokingly about it he said something to the extent of 'there's still some time to make an announcement'.

So...this goes quite well with the comments made about GOW PC being only a consideration, because Epic wasn't sure how many PC owners would be able to play the game in the first place, because of how advanced it is.

So yeah, like I said, a tidbit. That's what a tidbit is, nothing exciting, but better than nothing.

Defuser

AlphaSnake said:
So...this goes quite well with the comments made about GOW PC being only a consideration, because Epic wasn't sure how many PC owners would be able to play the game in the first place, because of how advanced it is.
No,because they're worried how many PC users will pirate the game instead of buying it.

AlphaSnake said:
They do not think PC owners would be able to run Gears of War, but are expecting gamers to run UT III?

I Am Error said:
They do not think PC owners would be able to run Gears of War, but are expecting gamers to run UT III?

Yea that's a pretty silly comment. It's possible that they simply didn't design Gears to be very scalable, though, seeing as it was built as a 360 game. That could be where the comment comes from.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I Am Error said:

Sort of different levels of architecture, really. GOW was designed specifically for the X360...UTIII wasn't. Yeah, they share the same engine, but GOW's engine was retooled quite a bit.

Speaking of engine retooling, Blacksite: Area 51 is also running UE3, but Midway added quite a lot of additional assets to the engine and it looks phenomenal. The texture detail is f-ing unreal (no pun) and almost distracting.

----

Banned
It's going to happen. Most of the well reviewed 1st party Xbox games end up on the PC eventually. Even if it takes a while.....

Halo
Fable
Jade Empire
Rallisport
Uno
Geometry Wars

Add to that that Epic has a lot of fans on the PC (like Bioware/Lionhead) and Gears of War is an obvious choice.

Ploid 3.0

They didnt waste their money if they actually enjoyed the game. And they didn't have to do a single upgrade, or deal with taking off effects to make it run smoother either.

Sho Nuff said:
HAHAHAHAH!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!! BOY OH BOY XBOTS SURE WASTED THEIR MONEY DIDNT THEY :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
TO have the game at least a year and a half ahead plus know that their 360 can run it where not everyones pc can? smart.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Diablohead said:
TO have the game at least a year and a half ahead plus know that their 360 can run it where not everyones pc can? smart.

your sarcasm meter is broken

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Sho Nuff said:
HAHAHAHAH!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!! BOY OH BOY XBOTS SURE WASTED THEIR MONEY DIDNT THEY :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
is that sarcasm? I hope it is.

Mau ®

wasn't this already announced, and I'm not talking about the "inevitable" quote.

Yeah I was under the impression that it had been announced. I even remember I made a comment about how GoW was not very PC-friendly...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Halo 2 "Games for Windows" Summer '07
Gears of War "Games for Windows" Summer '08

wouldn't surprise me at all, but don't expect an announcement until Jan '08. Gears 2 on 360 will probably be out in November '08, though... :D

LJ11

He fixed the link. Looks like you finally get to take on the Boss at the end of Chapter 4, some new locales as well. This better be DLC for 360 users.

GhaleonEB

Ah, link updated. Looks like new campaign stuff! You fight a Brumak!

360 DLC get. I wanted to fight one of those guys, badly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
UT3 is going to have a pretty extensive single player mode. It may even draw some similarities to GoW. The majority of the people who bought Unreal 2k3/4 did not go online (which says a lot about the state of PC gaming right now).

edit: Is the video real? This is a megaton announcement. What are the sys reqs?

Grayman

Illuminati said:
Haven't actually played gears but what I know of it makes it seem like it isn't the type of game that you would want to turn shit down for a high framerate. A fast FPS like unreal is acceptable with graphics set to crap because even with unlimited power many people would turn off the lighting and shadows, set all the characters to one model and skin, and hide their gun.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wario64 said:
:lol

I dont think that was worth it dude. Oh well, cya after E3
Does it really matter if he's banned until after E3? GAF is buckling right now and none of us will be able to get on during E3.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
What in the world... there was quite a bit of new stuff in there, for both SP and MP as well... even fighting the Brumak, something that we all wanted!

Get this on 360 as well Epic, damnit!

KTallguy

Banned
Wow, 60 fps looks awesome.

I have a sneaking suspision that MS is going to ask Epic to make this Vista only.

Heads will roll.

What the hell? Did Gamevideos release it before they were suppose to or what? There is no official announcement of PC version yet.

SPEA

Skilotonn said:
What in the world... there was quite a bit of new stuff in there, for both SP and MP as well... even fighting the Brumak, something that we all wanted!

Get this on 360 as well Epic, damnit!
Seriously. I was so disappointed when I couldn't fight him in the game. I hope they make it available for 360 owners.

MirageDwarf said:
What the hell? Did Gamevideos release it before they were suppose to or what? There is no official announcement of PC version yet.

I think they did... It says "E3 Montage" so they took it down...

Anyone who has the window open, can they save it and youtube it?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MirageDwarf said:
Yeah, it's gone.

Looked like Gears but at a higher frame rate than 30, that's for sure.

Makes me wonder why they couldn't get it running 60fps on 360.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Crap, they took it down - I only streamed it the first time, should've downloaded it I guess...

HydrantC12 said:
Seriously. I was so disappointed when I couldn't fight him in the game. I hope they make it available for 360 owners.

They better do, seriously - those locales looked pretty sweet... in fact, I dig the Gears art and atmosphere so much that I must have everything they bring out...

test_account

XP-39C²
cjelly said:
Makes me wonder why they couldn't get it running 60fps on 360.

I would guess the hardware wasnt powerful enough to do 60 fps. The PC hardware thats avalible today is much more powerful so its easier to get a higher fps on PC.

Top Bottom