• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War on PC...

Actually, check that. There is no way Epic will gimp their sales with a Vista only release. GoW PC will be Vista and XP compatible.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
FormulaOne said:
Actually, check that. There is no way Epic will gimp their sales with a Vista only release. GoW PC will be Vista and XP compatible.
Microsoft will be publishing, so Epic do as they're told.

MCD

It looks like new maps + fighting that huge boss in the prison level, which i doubt Epic would release it on the 360.

OverHeat

« generous god »
In the 720p video if you look when it say Achievement Unlock in the little square where the trophy is it say HOME....

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Maybe Epic will make it fake "Vista only" like the games that have been released so far. Like how you can download a patch to run Shadowrun, Halo 2, Geometry Wars, etc. in XP.

OverHeat said:
In the 720p video if you look when it say Achievement Unlock in the little square where the trophy is it say HOME....

Maybe the HOME key on your keyboard works like the dashboard button on the 360 controller?

MCD

No bets, lol.

reason for doubting it, is that i am assuming you fight the huge locust in the prison (1st level) so with that said, how can Epic add him now? even if they did, it's pointless.

unless what i am saying is bullshit and this is a whole new level.

kuYuri

WOW, that looks so much better. For some reason, I was under the impression Gears of War on 360 was already running 60fps. XD

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Thanks for the upload bee - oh man, it really looks like it's 60fps... wow.

And now that I think about it, yeah, Epic was pretty pressed for time with Gears which is probably why the Brumak fight didn't make the cut the first time... I wouldn't be surprised if they could've gotten it at the same framerate as well on the 360...

But knowing Epic, I can see them adding this to the 360 as well...

syllogism said:
Wasn't this supposed to be out in 2012, I forgot. Skilotonn?

Eh? When did *I* ever say it would be out in 2012?

You love me, don't you...

bumpkin

McDragon said:
No bets, lol.

reason for doubting it, is that i am assuming you fight the huge locust in the prison (1st level) so with that said, how can Epic add him now? even if they did, it's pointless.

unless what i am saying is bullshit and this is a whole new level.
Well, if my memory serves me, a Brumak is what the crew runs from at the end of Act 4. So perhaps they change that last sequence where you rush through the courtyard to the APV, and instead fight the Brumak before taking off in the APV? It wouldn't make sense for it to be placed anywhere else in the game, at least based on its current flow.

Skilotonn said:
And now that I think about it, yeah, Epic was pretty pressed for time with Gears which is probably why the Brumak fight didn't make the cut the first time... I wouldn't be surprised if they could've gotten it at the same framerate as well on the 360...
That's what I'm wondering. Is the upped framerate because of DX10's capabilities, or due to improvements to UE3? Moreover, could a patch instate such improvements?

Chairman Yang said:
Maybe Epic will make it fake "Vista only" like the games that have been released so far. Like how you can download a patch to run Shadowrun, Halo 2, Geometry Wars, etc. in XP.
Oh god I hope so.

MCD

bumpkin said:
Well, if my memory serves me, a Brumak is what the crew runs from at the end of Act 4. So perhaps they change that last sequence where you rush through the courtyard to the APV, and instead fight the Brumak before taking off in the APV? It wouldn't make sense for it to be placed anywhere else in the game, at least based on its current flow.

I don't remember act 4 in this...color.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Maybe this is GoW2 =P. Or a patch for GOW with DLC and able to run 60FPS, and trust me, this is one of the few times I notice the FPS difference between games, that was... AMAZING

FFChris

duckroll said:
Tough. Then you don't know Epic at all.

Maybe not. But still, I was so disappointed I couldn't fight the Brumak in the first game, I don't want to be disappointed again by hyping myself up for this.

bee

sorry but do you honestly believe they could double the frame rate of the game on the 360 in a patch? the reason its running higher fps is simply cos it will be running on a 8800gtx which is just way more powerful than a 360, as has already been shown in ports like dirt and lost planet.

danwarb

Relix said:
Maybe this is GoW2 =P. Or a patch for GOW with DLC and able to run 60FPS, and trust me, this is one of the few times I notice the FPS difference between games, that was... AMAZING
Where the 60fps trailer? The ~26MB GameVideos one was only 30fps.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bumpkin said:
That's what I'm wondering. Is the upped framerate because of DX10's capabilities, or due to improvements to UE3? Moreover, could a patch instate such improvements?

No idea, but it's Epic's own engine, so they know the ins-and-outs of it and make their own improvements...

Gears has the hooks for patching, but I wonder if they'd do it for the 360 version - that's huge change gameplay-wise, and something I'd see them doing for GoW2 instead, as much as I'd love to see them do it for this one... especially if the framerate is a result of a newer UE3 build...

And yeah, now that you guys reminded me, Epic DID hint at SP DLC a while back...

raYne

McDragon said:
I don't remember act 4 in this...color.
It's not even the same environment. To be honest, it doesn't really look like the prison break section either.

Anyway, wtf Epic? I'll gladly take these SP additions over the ones you've been wasting your time on so far.
I don't care for Gears MP. :/

GreekWolf

bee said:
sorry but do you honestly believe they could double the frame rate of the game on the 360 in a patch? the reason its running higher fps is simply cos it will be running on a 8800gtx which is just way more powerful than a 360, as has already been shown in ports like dirt and lost planet.
Exactamundo. There's no patch that will magically bump up the 360's performance to that of a card that came out two years later.

But they had better give us the additional content dammit.

Gears of War on PC? Looks like they're seeing the light! I sure hope it'll run on XP even if it turns out to be Vista-only (which they're saying it's not, so that's good news)

Now if they'd stop releasing those goddamn Vista-only games, we'd have a winner.

USD

Goddammit. Every single time I see a game like that running 60FPS I regret not having a gaming-capable PC. Oh well, I guess that's just part of the sacrifices.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
darkressurection said:
The HD gameplay vid that was (is) on gamevideos was running at 60

Ah I see. I downloaded the wrong one then. My PC would die with the 60fps file but I could have streamed it to my 360 if it was still up :(

Microsoft rethought (retreat and defeat more like it, lolz) from Vista-only for Live for Windows a few weeks ago. Petroglyph's Universe at War will support Live for Windows on both XP and Vista.

I have the WMV on my desktop, uploading to YouTube now.

Willy Wanka said:
Sorry if I'm being dense and missing something but how are people deducing that this is running at 60fps?

I think its because it appears smoother visually. Ive played gears through many many times and it does look a slight bit smoother. Might just be improvements or placebo, who knows. Also if the game is running in XP it could theoretically run much faster than on a 360 so 60fps isnt out of the question, right? *shrug*

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
bee said:

What you say is true. However, also consider that Gears ran into a pretty substantial time crunch towards the end of its development. We know they left levels out of the game and the multiplayer was basically just thrown on (both admitted by Epic in various interviews). I expect that GoW2 will be 60fps, unless they put a whole slew of new bells and whistles which would warrant a 30fps trade-off. I'm pretty sure GOW, in its current form, could run at 60fps on the 360 with more time given for optimization. However, I do have four jars of expired apple sauce in my fridge, so I'm not very bright, and have been known to be wrong, from time to time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People saying "Omg they made it 60fps!": Do you own a gaming PC?

Its not like they are going to cap the framerate at 30fps or something. If you have a badass PC then it will run the game at a higher framerate. They can't balance / lock the framerate like they can for a console game.

USD

Zefah said:

Its not like they are going to cap the framerate at 30fps or something. If you have a badass PC then it will run the game at a higher framerate. They can't balance / lock the framerate like they can for a console game.
I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. That doesn't mean it's not sexy.

bee

vista only games are a bad thing no doubt, however vista is far better than people like to make out.i've played a lot of the new releases on both os's as they work on both of them whilst just being installed on one.

i mean you can tell the frame rate difference if you run fraps in the corner, it isn't major but it is there, but for the most part you cant tell the difference well on my setup at least.

people were exactly the same when xp came out and stuck with 98 or 2k but eventually they all switched, for me vista is a far better os for general windows usage the only thing holding me back from deleting xp is a few little problems and better driver support, mainly sound from creative but the latest graphics drivers from nvidia are pretty damn good.

I will be infuriated, if we do not get that content as DLC! I don't mind them porting it to PC, but what I do mind is them porting it to PC with exclusive content.

PLEASE EPIC, I WANT TO FIGHT THE BRUMAK ON MY 360!!! PLEASE!

JoeFenix

The new single player stuff happens after act 4 and before act 5.

Their conversation says something along the lines of '' If we don't make it on time we're gonna have to deal with shit like shit for the rest of our lives''

They need to make it on time to that train where the lightmass bomb thing was. Makes sense, that part of the game got skewered to get it out for november last year.

This better be a free DLC for 360 owners, it was the one thing I really hated about the single player, it felt unfinished at that part.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
darkressurection said:
The HD gameplay vid that was (is) on gamevideos was running at 60
Video Track #1:
FOURCC: "DX50" (DivX® Video)
720x400, 29,969999 fps

The source may have been 60, but the video itself was 30fps. A little motion blur goes a long way.

edit: danwarb read my mind. Get outta mah head!

Zefah said:

It's not "OMG they made it 60 fps," but rather "OMG it looks amazing in 60 fps." I'm pretty sure everyone expected framerate benefits for the PC, but after playing a hundred hours or more of GoW already, it just looks jaw-dropping.

Top Bottom