• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War on PC...

phez

Banned
i predict this thread will go places ... :(

i also predict vista only AND 360 gamepad only. you heard it here first.

phez said:

Bookmarked for future ridicule.

Maaaaybe Vista only, but you think Epic is going to make it gamepad only too? Are you insane?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It does not look like 60fps but that may be just because of the capturing quality of the video. Also EPIC really pulled a Halo 2 by not releasing that boss fight. Instead of releasing their new MP maps they should release another mission with that dammed boss fight.

syllogism said:
stage6 wouldnt accept wmv, so a poor quality google video it is

Here's stage6:
http://stage6.divx.com/user/Quellex/video/1390321/Gears-o f-War-PC-E3-Montage-HD-1280x720

phez said:

You might be right considering they are using 360 gamepad for the following montage. Also, the "Achievement Unlocked" explains the Vista...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
godhandiscen said:
It does not look like 60fps but that may be just because of the capturing quality of the video. Also EPIC really pulled a Halo 2 by not releasing that boss fight. Instead of releasing their new MP maps they should release another mission with that dammed boss fight.
It is unlocked though. The framerate went through the roof during the boss fight. Of course, you can be certain that it was running on a Geforce 8800 and a Core 2 Duo level machine.

RiskyChris said:
Epic already hinted at SP DLC, why not?

I'm pretty sure they did. Epic could release a "Bonus Chapter" type thing with the Bromak boss fight in it. I always figured that Epic actually had it in the game, but cut it for some reason. And that might be what happened and now they've got it worked out for the PC version and for 360 DLC. Hopefully.

Either way I don't see Gears being a huge success on PC. It's an amazing game, don't get me wrong. Both single-player and multiplayer. Definitely my favorite third-person shooter of all time. But I just don't see it taking off on PC the way it did on 360.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So the vid is encoded in 30fps? Damn, I didn't know for sure if it was 60fps or not, but if it 30fps looking that smooth (not as if it wasn't smooth as is on the 360), it looks like Epic really got to spend some time optimising, something to expect for GoW2 no doubt with the time and experience they'd have by then with the 360 hardware...

ToyMachine228 said:
always figured that Epic actually had it in the game, but cut it for some reason. And that might be what happened and now they've got it worked out for the PC version and for 360 DLC. Hopefully.

If you check out some of the Chapter 4 map hole videos on youtube (playinghalotoday did one, but it's been pulled from YouTube), you can see one where the guy gets out of the playable space and runs over to a mountain. the player watches the Brumak spawn in the mountain, stomp out of it, and head toward the playable area. presumably the timer counts down before the Brumak hits the playable area in this case.

with a full model, locomotion animations, a sound package for footsteps etc... I definitely think it was a last-minute cut for Epic.

jet1911

743830363_1f8cf3545c_o.gif

DLC on 360 please.

Chinner

Banned
Don't care about there being a PC port, but I do care about their being extra SP as thats what Gears fell short on.

unomas

Banned
I seriously doubt Cliffy B and the boys are gonna leave 360 owners out in the cold on this stuff. We've all been playing the game for 8 months already and we'll get the extra content. I'm glad we got the game when we did instead of having to wait for it to come to the PC. For those that were screaming the joy of 60fps......I couldn't tell a difference at all.

manxor

Wow, that was quick... I wonder how far out Gears 2 will be now, and if this helps push it to 2009, versus 2008. I guess it's a good thing I'm putting together my "Crysis" rig soon, the new content looks killer. Showdown with a Brumak, finally.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
unomas said:
I seriously doubt Cliffy B and the boys are gonna leave 360 owners out in the cold on this stuff. We've all been playing the game for 8 months already and we'll get the extra content. I'm glad we got the game when we did instead of having to wait for it to come to the PC. For those that were screaming the joy of 60fps......I couldn't tell a difference at all.
Off topic, but if you really want to see the difference between 30 and 60 fps you should download the HD Ninja Gaiden Sigma comparison video off of Gamevideos.com.

dfyb

Banned
what's up with console elitists trying to claim this won't be at 60FPS. this is a PC game... we don't lock FPS. some of you even think geow 2 will be 60fps...?

next you'll be claiming the resolution won't go above 720p.

gohepcat

Banned
dfyb said:
what's up with console elitists trying to claim this won't be at 60FPS. this is a PC game... we don't lock FPS. some of you even think geow 2 will be 60fps...?

next you'll be claiming the resolution won't go above 720p.

Probably the same thing that the gaggle of people claiming a 29.9fps video is "ZOMG the awsome 60fps!"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This is great!

GOW was one of the reasons why I wanted a 360, but now I don't need to get one as much (although it would still be nice to have one for a few other games)

NinSoX

Banned
dfyb said:

Yea I know eh. silly elitists...come to think of it, GeoW2 on 360 having 60fps isn't much crazier than this.

dfyb

Banned
NinSoX said:
Yea I know eh. silly elitists...come to think of it, GeoW2 on 360 having 60fps isn't much crazier than this.
we're not talking about ps3. we're talking about gears of war running on 360 and a sequel jumping to 60fps when the first barely held 30.

NinSoX

Banned
dfyb said:
we're not talking about ps3. we're talking about gears of war running on 360 and a sequel jumping to 60fps when the first barely held 30.

We? heh. I don't think anyone was talking with you. :lol

NinSoX

Banned
I get up in the morning before work and see you in xbox threads, never with anything positive to say mind you. Go to work. Come back only to see you're still in this forum with the same rehashed negative comments. I think you need to get a life.

KTallguy

Banned
...moving on.

Epic has roots in PC, not Xbox. They have a rabid fanbase on the PC that loves their games. I trust them to do an excellent job on Gears for the PC.

NinSoX said:
I get up in the morning before work and see you in xbox threads, never with anything positive to say mind you. Go to work. Come back only to see you're still in this forum with the same rehashed negative comments. I think you need to get a life.
holy hypocrisy.

NinSoX

Banned
dai said:
holy hypocrisy.

hypocrisy? find a comment in the last few months that's negative in another thread other than Xbox threads by me. dfyb does nothing but troll and bait. Just one of the worst coming from GAF.

KTallguy said:
...moving on.

Epic has roots in PC, not Xbox. They have a rabid fanbase on the PC that loves their games. I trust them to do an excellent job on Gears for the PC.
Indeed. I'll buy this on release but wait for a live-stripped version.

Gears in 1680x1050 @ 60fps...

syllogism

Jonsoncao said:
this video is the game footage on 360

20070707_b74235f2d6d6daf0604ehOYkIRL9bGfU.jpg

I wonder if PC gamers have such a huge 7800gtx install base for GOW

Do you mean the leaked video? The screenshot Stitch posted shows a Live for Windows achievement being unlocked.

ice cream

Banned
Jonsoncao said:
this video is the game footage on 360

20070707_b74235f2d6d6daf0604ehOYkIRL9bGfU.jpg

I wonder if PC gamers have such a huge 7800gtx install base for GOW
Maybe they're playing with a 360 pad?
and it has the achievement unlocked PC version..

achieve.png

bendak

Anyone got a new mirror for the 720p version?

Mark Macdonald = owned. :lol

This stuff better be 360 DLC though...I always thought gears was better off as a console game and to see epic give into the vista-only shit would make me cry, but I guess its to be expected.

Borys

Banned
Remember when Xbox fans schooled me that it would take 4 years for Gears PC to come out?

:lol

Yeah.

Mass Effect next.

Borys

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Watch MS make a big freakin' deal out of this during their press conference and bore everyone to tears. No one cares. Either give us Gears 2 or don't waste anybody's time during your show by talking about this for 5 minutes.

Here's a hint:

shut the hell up.

There are thousands of PC gamers that didn't play Gears yet. They will now.

God I love being right.

I also gotta love the debate whether it will be 30 or 60 fps on a PC. I guess people posting that kind of crap never played a 3D PC game in their life.

I hope MS announces Gears 2 as a simultaneous 360/ PC release.

PleoMax

Banned
Gears will come to the PC. Everybody knew this. Will it matter to the 360? No lol

Will it come this year? Probably not. 2008? Probably. What comes in 2008? Gears of war 2 for the 360 probably.

So who cares? Well i guess the PC players who didn't play it on the 360.

Good for them.....

Is this bad news for 360 or Gears of war fans? No....

So, why do some people act that this is by some means, a bad thing!?

X26

Banned
PleoMax said:
Gears will come to the PC. Everybody knew this. Will it matter to the 360? No lol

Will it come this year? Probably not. 2008? Probably. What comes in 2008? Gears of war 2 for the 360 probably.

So who cares? Well i guess the PC players who didn't play it on the 360.

Good for them.....

Is this bad news for 360 or Gears of war fans? No....

So, why do some people act that this is by some means, a bad thing!?

I don't know about everybody else (haven't read most of the thread) but the PC version seems to have a lot of awesome extra SP content not in the 360 verison and we wants it!

PleoMax

Banned
X26 said:
I don't know about everybody else (haven't read most of the thread) but the PC version seems to have a lot of awesome extra SP content not in the 360 verison and we wants it!

Well and that's good right? I mean the game is coming out much later, so it's cool that it has some extra stuff right!?

And hey, if you want that content on the 360, i don't see any reason for it not to be DLC.

M3d10n

Lost Planet's system requirements turned out to be much lighter than I expected, and with everything turned off the game features good framerates even on the minimum required machine.

I don't see why GeoW can't do the same, specially when it's motion blur and shadowing algorithms are actually simpler than LP's.

<nu>faust

Borys said:
Here's a hint:shut the hell up...God I love being right.
classic borys with his "i'm a one tough mfcker virtual ego trippin" topped with "i'm the self appointed overlord & protector of pc gaming" schtick
Borys said:
There are thousands of PC gamers that didn't play Gears yet. They will now.
well borys you very well know that:

majority of pc gamers do not have decent enough rig to run games like gears with all bells & whistles on at high frame rates (just take a look at steam's latest system survey),

also majority of pc gamers do not care about console ports. an ip like final fantasy might be huge in the console world bu that really doesn't mean sh*t to your average pc gamer ( all of a sudden console tripes has become cool now borys?;)

Borys said:
I hope MS announces Gears 2 as a simultaneous 360/ PC release.
right....so like then nobody buys 360s anymore and then start jumping into pc gaming (or a ps3 if they really just want a console) and then evil microsoft learns its lesson (don't mess with gamers big evil monolopy corporation), pc gaming skyrockets, gears of war 3 only on pc confirmed...lol

Top Bottom