• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War on PC...

dfyb

Banned
M3d10n said:
Lost Planet's system requirements turned out to be much lighter than I expected, and with everything turned off the game features good framerates even on the minimum required machine.

I don't see why GeoW can't do the same, specially when it's motion blur and shadowing algorithms are actually simpler than LP's.
epic is also much more familiar with creating engines for PC -- gears shouldn't be any harder to run than UT3.

edit: also :lol @ people going "nobody has a rig that can play it!" as if PC gamers have never upgraded.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Borys said:
Remember when Xbox fans schooled me that it would take 4 years for Gears PC to come out?

:lol

Yeah.

Mass Effect next.

So where's the release date again Borys? :lol

About you being right - Mark Rein himself hinted at it a long time ago - you weren't being right about it coming to PC, you were just being hopeful...

...like always!

Another example of your "dear God I hope so"-ness is a simultaneous release of GoW2 for 360/PC...

You know, instead of begging for late ports, you could just buy it right away on 360 instead of posting the same old pathetic revenge trolling that we've all grown tired of - I don't even think the rest of the handful of PC loyalists on here like you... :lol

Grow up man, seriously. Play the games you lust for early, and save us the reading of embarassing yourself on those once-in-a-blue-moon 360-to-PC ports...

kylej

Banned
Cool, so that's what the content that was cut from the 360 version to make a November release date looks like.

Kabouter

kylej said:
Cool, so that's what the content that was cut from the 360 version to make a November release date looks like.
:D
I hope it makes it to 360 as downloadble content, don't feel like buying a game I already own.

Hopefully they will announce Gears of War for the PC, as well as the additional content for the 360 at E3.

That would be ****ing awesome.

PleoMax said:
Gears will come to the PC. Everybody knew this. Will it matter to the 360? No lol

Will it come this year? Probably not. 2008? Probably. What comes in 2008? Gears of war 2 for the 360 probably.

So who cares? Well i guess the PC players who didn't play it on the 360.

Good for them.....

Is this bad news for 360 or Gears of war fans? No....

So, why do some people act that this is by some means, a bad thing!?
Whoa! o_0 Just like Halo.

I hope MS announces Gears 2 as a simultaneous 360/ PC release.

You won't hear a peep about Gears 2 until after Halo 3 ships. Don't want to blow your big loads all at once. The earliest we'll see Gears 2 on the shelf is Fall 2008.

Brofist

Skilotonn said:
So where's the release date again Borys? :lol

About you being right - Mark Rein himself hinted at it a long time ago - you weren't being right about it coming to PC, you were just being hopeful...

...like always!

Another example of your "dear God I hope so"-ness is a simultaneous release of GoW2 for 360/PC...

You know, instead of begging for late ports, you could just buy it right away on 360 instead of posting the same old pathetic revenge trolling that we've all grown tired of - I don't even think the rest of the handful of PC loyalists on here like you... :lol

Grow up man, seriously. Play the games you lust for early, and save us the reading of embarassing yourself on those once-in-a-blue-moon 360-to-PC ports...

you sound a little bitter, is the 60 fps thing bothering you that much ;)

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Hope Xbox 360 users get the extra stuff, but I don't really care as come September the grand daddy will come home.

I will admit I wonder what Gears of War will feel like on a keyboard, the aiming will be better no dout (Snipers in mutiplayer with mouse = Oh Hell no) but movement am not so sure.

Kabouter

Deacan said:
Hope Xbox 360 users get the extra stuff, but I don't really care as come September the grand daddy will come home.
Settlers VI: Rise of an Empire is not on 360 sadly ;(. So september will be barren :p

;)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
kpop100 said:
you sound a little bitter, is the 60 fps thing bothering you that much ;)

Bitter? Not at all... if you want to call someone bitter, that would be Borys himself... you must not be familiar with him...

About the 60fps, looking at it again, it probably isn't even 60fps... I'd check to compare it on the 360 right now, as it's already smooth as is, but I don't have my 360 now...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I failed to add I am a Xbox 360 user hehe, I used to PC game by in the golden age of Quake 2, Tribes, UT, TFC ect.

But now days my PC is just a notebook, the only thing I really miss are mods and custom maps.

Conc Jump maps ftw!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
snack said:
It hurts....I want Global Lighting!
Whaaa?

A quick look on Wikipedia revealed what Global Illumination is, and... wow:

global_illumination.gif

The difference is huge, but I wonder how it would look in a game.

Kabouter said:
Buy stalker and turn it on via an ini tweak.
Crazy demanding, but looks sooooooooooooooooo good.

Didn't know that existed...so it overrides Full Dynamic Lighting setting in Options? Or are they seperate things?

Sounds and looks awesome.

Oh and it's definitely 60 FPS, not sure how that can be disputed(check how fluid Marcus's roll is around the 24 second mark)

Then again I don't own a gaming capable PC so guess all I can do is hope for the new content to be available on the 360.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sounds and looks awesome.

Oh and it's definitely 60 FPS, not sure how that can be disputed(check how fluid Marcus's roll is around the 24 second mark)

LOL, umm what? Have you ever played a PC game?

PC games aren't limited to arbitrary 30/60 FPS locks...it may have been 86 fps, 41 fps, 112 fps...who the hell knows?

Kabouter

gregor7777 said:
Didn't know that existed...so it overrides Full Dynamic Lighting setting in Options? Or are they seperate things?
Overrides I think.
You can also turn on blur (configurable how much blur you want) in the ini btw, also a nice added effect that DOESN'T cost much performance.

Kabouter said:
Overrides I think.
You can also turn on blur (configurable how much blur you want) in the ini btw, also a nice added effect that DOESN'T cost much performance.

Cool, do they play nice with the Float32 mod? I hear it's being packaged into the next patch.

Kabouter

gregor7777 said:
Cool, do they play nice with the Float32 mod? I hear it's being packaged into the next patch.
They do, but you're gonna want an expensive piece of graphics hardware for global illumination. It's 8800/2900 territory pretty much. My 7800GTX can't handle it at all in the more heavily lit areas of the game.

gregor7777 said:
LOL, umm what? Have you ever played a PC game?

Um..yeah?

PC games aren't limited to arbitrary 30/60 FPS locks...it may have been 86 fps, 41 fps, 112 fps...who the hell knows?

It may have been 60 fps too. Sheesh.
Actually hell it may have been somewhere between 58 and 62 fps for all I care.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Um..yeah?

It may have been 60 fps too. Sheesh.
Actually hell it may have been somewhere between 58 and 62 fps for all I care.

LOL, sorry if that came across harshly, it wasn't my intention.

My point mainly is that some 360 owners in this thread are complaining that the PC version will be running at a strict 60fps as opposed to the 30 fps on the 360.

Where in reality, even with a pretty good gaming system most users will be playing the game near 30-40fps because of high end system requirements.

OAN, if I can play this and UT3 at around 40 fps at around a 720p resolution with my current system I'll be the happiest guy around.

Totally expected, and classic Microsoft troyan strategy: publish a game on Xbox, and about 6-10 months before the sequel comes again as an Xbox exclusive, publish the first game on PC too. PC gamers without an Xbox will try it, and eventually will want to buy a 360 to play the sequel. They did it with Halo and Halo 2, and will do it again with GOW, with Epic's help.

Kabouter

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Totally expected, and classic Microsoft troyan strategy: publish a game on Xbox, and about 6-10 months before the sequel comes again as an Xbox exclusive, publish the first game on PC too. PC gamers without an Xbox will try it, and eventually will want to buy a 360 to play the sequel. They did it with Halo and Halo 2, and will do it again with GOW, with Epic's help.

/me looks at nickname
/me thinks
......say, you don't play Cybernations do you?

Borys said:
Here's a hint:

shut the hell up.

There are thousands of PC gamers that didn't play Gears yet. They will now.

Borys, you're still quite the charmer.

Anyway, we already knew it was coming out for the PC. If you want to pat yourself on the back because you knew something that was common knowledge, go right ahead. And I don't want MS to waste a lot of time in the conference talking about an old game 'cause if I have to hear about Gears of War I'd rather hear about the sequel (you know, something new), but you just know they're going to trump this up as a major event when it really isn't.

michaeld

Banned
LOL@ all the cry babies with their undies wadded up. Who gives a crap(besides the cry baby tools in here) if it goes to the pc? How does that take away from your experience?

michaeld said:
LOL@ all the cry babies with their undies wadded up. Who gives a crap(besides the cry baby tools in here) if it goes to the pc? How does that take away from your experience?

Who are you talking to?

SSM25

Spider_Jerusalem said:
You are feeling bad because you played GOW with an year and a half in advance of when you'd have played it on PC? What are you, LTTP-man?

Yes I am, I also enjoy playing games at good stable framerates

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SSM25 said:
Yes I am, I also enjoy playing games at good stable framerates
I hope this is going to be a top notch port instead of the XBox 360 shovelware that PC gamers have been getting so far. GRAW won't even run at a steady 60fps on an 8800GTX/Core2DuoQuadcore. Lost Planet ran even worse and didn't look nearly as good.

Ideally, you can lock the framerate to your refresh rate. If you can't then it won't look nearly as smooth. I'm not lying when I say that 200fps doesn't look too much better than 50fps.

Top Bottom