• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition out now on Windows 10

hlhbk

/sigh still can't download and nothing from Microsoft or the Coalition guy since getting a PM from him to send my logs to Microsoft for the store.

Awesome store Microsoft.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Defending regional manipulation and wanting MS to fail is incredibly petty. $30 is nowhere near "disgusting". It sounds like you have some personal issue with MS.

I do have problems with releasing unfinished, gimped and subpar releases for exorbitant prices, yes. Sorry that you can't comprehend the problem that is at hand here. The MS Store is an absolute embarrassment with it's pathetic attempt at releasing "real" PC games at full prices. The only way to make this purchase worthwhile would be to correct the price with regional manipulation.

jediyoshi

I'd look at AMD drivers and Windows store limitations as the cause for bad performance issues before anything else for a remastered 360 game *shrug*

That's a fitting shrug if the relevance of the assets in question are somehow completely irrelevant.

Neo_Geo

Banned
$30 is too high now? lol

It's a re-released port of a 360 game, that is missing basic features from the original and released on a closed store with extreme restrictions in a PC environment. The game is $10 app fodder in its current state.

I do have problems with releasing unfinished, gimped and subpar releases for exorbitant prices, yes. Sorry that you can't comprehend the problem that is at hand here. The MS Store is an absolute embarrassment with it's pathetic attempt at releasing "real" PC games at full prices. The only way to make this purchase worthwhile would be to correct the price with regional manipulation.
Congrats this is the dumbest thing I read today!
regional manipulating is never justifiable

Shari

It's a re-released port of a 360 game, that is missing basic features from the original and released on a closed store with extreme restrictions in a PC environment. The game is $10 app fodder in its current state.

Agreed. This is what I was willing to pay until Microsoft shut down cross region buy.

For the record, I payed 30e for rise of the tomb raider on steam having the possibility of buying it for 9e on Microsoft store. Dont regret a thing.

daman824

lol, It's pretty obvious you have an agenda here

daman824

If it isn't, why would you be supporting a multi billion dollar company that does regional manipulating when it benefits them?

He isn't wrong though. Games that are released in such a limited state aren't worth much.
Well for starters, calling this a "re-release port of a 360 game" is being a bit disengenuous.

Neo_Geo

Banned
lol, It's pretty obvious you have an agenda here

Agenda is pointing out the obviousness of the situation.

Well for starters, calling this a "re-release port of a 360 game" is being a bit disengenuous.

I can't argue the points at hand, so I am going to go all in on semantics!

It's basically a re-release of the original PC port of the 360 game. If this game was built from scratch for the PC, than the hilarity of the situation went up ten fold.

He isn't wrong though. Games that are released in such a limited state aren't worth much.

Limited state? It's way more complete than another recent game that shall go unnamed that an unnamed company is charging $60 for.

I don't consider a few missing video options to qualify as "limited state".

daman824

Agenda is pointing out the obviousness of the situation.

I can't argue the points at hand, so I am going to go all in on semantics!

It's basically a re-release of the original PC port of the 360 game. If this game was built from scratch for the PC, than the hilarity of the situation went up ten fold.
It is not a re-release of the PC port. And like the poster above me said, the game is missing a couple graphical features.

Based on your posts, it's clear as day that you simply dislike the windows store and believe any game released on it should be incredibly cheap.

Trying to spin this game as a re-release of something that came out years ago when that isn't true shows you're either being purposfully ignorant, or never had any interest in this game to begin with and instead are using this as an opportunity to rail on the windows store.

Edit: And it turns out I'm right. You're belief that any game released on the windows store should be $10 is pretty hilarious. This also makes me wonder why you're posting your displeasures in a thread about a game you obviously know nothing about instead of the official topic of the windows 10 store.

.hacked

$30 not bad price for the game but already own digitally on Xbox one not going to double dip ($30 on Xbox one too).

Jito

Banned
Limited state? It's way more complete than another recent game that shall go unnamed that an unnamed company is charging $60 for.

I don't consider a few missing video options to qualify as "limited state".

It has no spltiscreen co-op, that's a huge missing feature.

Neo_Geo

Banned
It has no spltiscreen co-op, that's a huge missing feature.

That and it has the same overly abundant restrictions that ROTTR has. The games released on the store should be heavily discounted to even be considered by any sane person.

Kezen

Banned
I heard the PC version has 10-30% more polygons than the Xbox One version. Characters have 50% more.

Where have you read that ?

4xAF...?! :/

Talk about misreading your target market.

Very disappointing indeed. The Coalition deserves all the shit they got.
From what I understand there is no way to correct that with the driver like it must be done so many times.

For the people who are doing region manipulating to get the game dirt cheap, keep doing this, then the store will get region locked like a certain other client cough *steam*.

And then you lose any fucking rights to complain about the region lock because you caused the problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NOOOOOOooooo!!

Late reply but, if you can make Gears or the Windows Store/whatever that launches it off a non-Steam "game"/short-cut in Steam, you can then load Big Picture Mode and should be able to use the Steam controller that way.

Neo_Geo

Banned
For the people who are doing region manipulating to get the game dirt cheap, keep doing this, then the store will get region locked like a certain other client cough *steam*.

And then you lose any fucking rights to complain about the region lock because you caused the problem.

Calm down sir. Steam still has the benefit of being able to intelligently shop regional pricing for a lot of games on its service since you can shop off its service and into a great competitive market and redeem said games on its service. Stop making invalid arguments, and again, calm down. :D

Calm down sir. Steam still has the benefit of being able to intelligently shop regional pricing for a lot of games on its service since you can shop off its service and into a great competitive market and redeem said games on its service. Stop making invalid arguments, and again, calm down. :D

Yes because its so big, any game that requires steam to run is the norm these days, I understand people have issues with the port, as I mostly will be complaining if I see it.

But anyone who is abusing regions on a store to get a game dirt cheap reminds me of the idiots on G2A, its very similar in retrospect. And will only result in a region lock on the store like steam which I don't want. It sucks that its one arbitrary price but we all expected this once we found out that games will be exclusive to the windows store.

I find it kind of funny that the game has the UE3 stutter on load problem, as DX12's memory management and explicitness exists to combat those problems in engines. OH WELL.

CHC

Your $10 price is so obviously a moving goalpost... if it were $10 you'd just say it should be $1.99, if it were $1.99, then it should have been free right? The only winning move is not playing in your case, I would say.

see5harp

Who the fucks cares whether it was "Built from scratch for the PC"? X-Com 2 was built from scratch for the platform and look how that buggy piece of shit turned out (great, despite all of the bugs and performance issues).

Afro

I find it kind of funny that the game has the UE3 stutter on load problem, as DX12's memory management and explicitness exists to combat those problems in engines. OH WELL.

Stutters in the PvP maps also or just the wide open campaign areas?

Noogy

Can anyone confirm if splitscreen is an option in the Win10 version? I don't see it in the description anywhere despite being a pretty unique selling point.

Kezen

Banned

How could The Coalition fuck up so badly ?

Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Screenshot-2-pcgh.jpg

Look at that glorious AF.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Your $10 price is so obviously a moving goalpost... if it were $10 you'd just say it should be $1.99, if it were $1.99, then it should have been free right? The only winning move is not playing in your case, I would say.

I feel that the game is worth $10, but I wouldn't personally buy it for even that as it is missing couch co-op, as I said earlier. So, the goalposts have always been in the same spot for me, thanks. Try and make a valid point next time if you feel like making a competent argument.

Shari

Yes because its so big, any game that requires steam to run is the norm these days, I understand people have issues with the port, as I mostly will be complaining if I see it.

But anyone who is abusing regions on a store to get a game dirt cheap reminds me of the idiots on G2A, its very similar in retrospect. And will only result in a region lock on the store like steam which I don't want. It sucks that its one arbitrary price but we all expected this once we found out that games will be exclusive to the windows store.

I wonder why would you care if there's a regional lock or not in place if anyway you are not exploiting regional price difference.

How could The Coalition fuck up so badly ?

Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Screenshot-2-pcgh.jpg

Look at that glorious AF.

It is quite baffling.

Also, regarding the improvements to the PC version:
n order to achieve this, McRae said, his team began by “[ripping] out the rendering” and, with guidance from original Gears creator Epic Games, rebuilt those systems with improvements from more recent versions of Unreal Engine. The results are evident in all manner of ways, though especially when it comes to how the game renders things like lights, shadows, reflections, and how they all interact with each other to draw believable scenes. All of this work was done for the Xbox One version, however. More immediately noticeable – and unique to DirectX version – are the improvements to the characters and environments.

McRae said that most every object in the game has been “uprezzed” in poly count by about 10-30 percent, while most character models have straight-up doubled. Same with the textures: They’ve all been uprezzed, and if you’re playing the game on the highest settings, your GPU will be streaming in the neighborhood of 5-10 gigabytes of textures when you play through Gears’ Prison level, as an example. DirectX 12, according to McRae, is mainly to thank for all this, due to how it allows developers to more efficiently harness the multiple cores in today’s higher-end processors.

Naturally, all of this requires hardware that’s up to the task. On Ultimate Edition’s Windows version, “medium” settings will net you performance on-par with how the game runs on Xbox One. McRae told us that a system with a “high-end” GPU running the game at the highest settings will be able achieve 60 frames-per-second at 4K in the single-player campaign, and stay quite close to that benchmark in multiplayer (as a point of reference, the machines running the game at the Xbox Spring Showcase were using GeForce GTX 980 Ti cards). To help users achieve those settings without needing to spend big on a high-end card, the development team at The Coalition is working to implement DirectX 12’s Multiadapter feature, which allows systems to recruit resources from multiple GPUs to bolster an application’s performance. Think: multi-GPU technologies like NVIDIA’s SLI or AMD CrossFire, but without the need for matching video cards. It won’t be supported when Ultimate Edition release for PC, but McRae assured us that his team is working to make it a reality.

scitek

Very disappointing indeed. The Coalition deserves all the shit they got.
From what I understand there is no way to correct that with the driver like it must be done so many times.

Looks like you can force it through drivers.

I just took these:

2xAF
desktop_2016_03_01_11tkkge.png

16xAF
desktop_2016_03_01_11kgjsb.png

Not the greatest place to use as an example, but it's all I have time for, and you can see the difference on the ground near his shoulder.

I just took these:

Not the greatest place to use as an example, but it's all I have time for, and you can see the difference on the ground near his shoulder.

Hmm, looks like it works! Excited to try this game out tonight.

Shari

I know it might be too much to ask for but could you guys circle what we have to look for in the pics? I cant make a difference out of the pics that posted scitek and I think the pic uploaded by Kezen looks stunning.

I feel like I have cheap eyes or something lol.

Kezen

Banned

I just took these:

Praise the Lord. Global profile I suppose.

Shari> Look at the ground like a normal PC gamer does.
Glad to see it can be forced.

CHC

I feel that the game is worth $10, but I wouldn't personally buy it for even that as it is missing couch co-op, as I said earlier. So, the goalposts have always been in the same spot for me, thanks. Try and make a valid point next time if you feel like making a competent argument.

So the only way you would ever buy the game is if you could exploit regional pricing in order to make some kind of statement? I'm really not even sure what you're trying to argue anymore, but you've had a bad attitude from the outset and I don't think that is doing you any favors.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

I just took these:

I must be blind, as i'm not really seeing much difference.

derExperte

I know it might be too much to ask for but could you guys circle what we have to look for in the pics? I cant make a difference out of the pics that posted scitek and I think the pic uploaded by Kezen looks stunning.

Look at the ground texture in Kezen's shot which becomes extremely muddy in the distance.

AF, or Anisotropic Filtering, is method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture appears. This usually will effect ground textures the most, due to the angle.

Here, as ground textures get further away, we see a blurry mess:

The two shots provided by scitek aren't great examples, as the difference will much more evident in other scenes, but here they are nonetheless:

Blurry:

Not as blurry:

Here's an old-school screenshot that shows a better example of the effect:

filtering.jpg

need benchmarks and comparison screens. the couple comparisons posted in this thread look like nothing more than the xbone version at a higher resolution. it what i expected. hopefully performance is at least sky high. an overclocked gm200 should be averaging well over 150 fps at xbone settings.

Shari

AF, or Anisotropic Filtering, is method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture appears. This usually will effect ground textures the most, due to the angle.

Here, as ground textures get further away, we see a blurry mess:

The two shots provided by scitek aren't great examples, as the difference will much more evident in other scenes, but here they are nonetheless:

Blurry:

Not as blurry:

Here's an old-school screenshot that shows a better example of the effect:

This is way more than I was expecting, thanks so much for taking the time.

I knew the theory but I couldn't make much sense out of "better definition in the distance". Truth be told, I still can't see much difference between your circled areas. The example pic is perfect though, it just shows it.

Thanks derExperte, you tried, you've been badly beaten tho. I appreciate it anyway.

Top Bottom