• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War's EMERGENCE DAY on November 12

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just in.

MS said:
Emergence Day Revealed: Critically Acclaimed Xbox 360 Title “Gears of War” to Surface Nov. 12, 2006

Countdown begins for the most anticipated game of 2006 as gamers eagerly await the flagship title from Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games.

REDMOND, Wash. — Aug. 3, 2006 — Since the first frightening images appeared a little over a year ago, gamers worldwide have felt the ominous rumblings of something approaching that defies all convention. Sightings as recent as at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2006 have confirmed its existence, leaving gamers breathless. Microsoft Corp. today announced what anxious players have been eagerly awaiting: Emergence Day 2006. Available exclusively for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the highly anticipated title “Gears of War” will be available in North America on Nov. 12, 2006.

Developed by Epic Games Inc. and published by Microsoft Game Studios, “Gears of War” tells the harrowing story of mankind’s struggle against the monstrous Locust Horde through stunning high-definition graphics and an intense storyline on the scale of a blockbuster movie.

One of the most anticipated next-generation console titles of 2006 and the critic’s choice winner for the E3 2006 Best Console Game, “Gears of War” will explode onto store shelves with a standard edition available for $59.99* and a limited collector’s edition available for $69.99. The limited edition will offer an even deeper look into the graphically stunning and frightening world of “Gears of War,” providing an official “Destroyed Beauty” art book and a bonus DVD featuring an inside look at the making of the game — all enclosed in a highly collectible metal box.

“‘Gears of War’ represents the emergence of a thrilling new franchise for Xbox 360 and is the must-have game of 2006,” said Shane Kim, general manager of Microsoft Game Studios. “Combining the best in innovative gameplay, next-generation graphics and interactive storytelling, Epic has harnessed the extraordinary power of Xbox 360 to create an extremely powerful and immersive entertainment experience.”

“Our vision is to deliver a one-two punch of cinematic action paired with a thrilling and compelling interactive experience,” said Cliff Bleszinski, lead designer at Epic. “With ‘Gears of War’ we’ve created a title that will place gamers directly in the shadows of a ravaged world, surrounded by the beautiful remnants of a destroyed city and the horrific dangers that hide in the rubble.”

“Gears of War” thrusts gamers into humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet. Blending the best of tactical action games with the best of survival horror titles, “Gears of War” features cinematic, beautifully rendered interactive environments with high-definition visuals.

Demand for the game is high as retailers anticipate the one-two punch of “Gears of War” and Xbox 360 appearing in quantity on store shelves this holiday season. “The interest and buzz on this game has been intense,” said Bob McKenzie, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop Corp. “Certainly gamers are counting the days until Emergence Day arrives, as pre-orders have been very strong.”

bill0527

Not a bad strategy considering there will be a lot of people walking away without a PS3 on its launch day. Even if only 1 of those people decides to get an Xbox 360, then the strategy is a success.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well that's okay. I guess. Expected something massive.

That week is gonna be crazy. The pricing is 10 dollars higher than regular MS-published games?

Wollan

Dissappointed. I don't like that it's so late.
And I think it would be in Microsofts greatest interest to release it even earlier to get some more attention towards this game before the PS3 launch.

REV 09

so why is it $59.99 again??? It's certainly worth the price, but i thought microsoft's policy was to charge $49.99 for next gen games.

oh and this news is BIG!!!!!

Shiggy

Wii (launch day) -> D00M3D!!!

Do all Microsoft X360 games cost 59.99 USD? I thought they still were 49.99 USD...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Dissappointed. I don't like that it's so late.
And I think it would be in Microsofts greatest interest to release it even earlier to get some more attention towards this game before the PS3 launch.
yeah, seems like GOW is going to hurt ps3 launch or ps3 is going to hurt GOW's launch. I wonder how the game will be accepted in japan also.

bill0527

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well that's okay. I guess. Expected something massive.

That week is gonna be crazy. The pricing is 10 dollars higher than regular MS-published games?

People have been talking a lot about the pricing and I think its because Epic is not owned by Microsoft. They're publishing it, but Epic is still a third party developer.

REV 09

bill0527 said:
People have been talking a lot about the pricing and I think its because Epic is not owned by Microsoft. They're publishing it, but Epic is still a third party developer.
PGR3

Crap. My 360 died the other day (3 red lights) and I'm too broke to get it fixed (not under warranty anymore). Now I have a deadline to get it fixed by.

REV 09

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It was quite obvious. It is a good move for the 360 against the PS3.
it could be, i think maybe they could've released it a little earlier to build up more word of mouth momentum before the PS3 hit, but they're the professionals right.

REV 09 said:
it could be, i think maybe they could've released it a little earlier to build up more word of mouth momentum before the PS3 hit, but they're the professionals right.

That's what demos are for!!! :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I don't get Gears of War, and 'Emergence Day' and all the hype just seems artificially created by MS.

And I think Dead Rising just looks like shallow trash.

"dear god, please let me enjoy games again like I used to."

mrklaw said:
I think I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I don't get Gears of War, and 'Emergence Day' and all the hype just seems artificially created by MS.

And I think Dead Rising just looks like shallow trash.

"dear god, please let me enjoy games again like I used to."

Sounds like you need some video game therapy. :lol

bill0527

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
If they do a X360 & GoW bundle then I'll get one when I get my Wii. I doubt it though as it would of probably been announced in this press release... :(

I lot of people are hoping for a bundle, but Microsoft isn't going to do a holiday bundle with a M-rated game. I don't think any company has ever done a bundle with an M-rated game, other than that limited edition Halo Xbox bundle a couple of summers ago, but even then it was in limited supply and wasn't widely marketed to moms and dads to buy for their kids.

Azazela

Banned
This game better live up to all the hype it's getting, and on a side note when does it launch in Europe then.

Jim

Extremely close to the U.S. PS3 launch, and a day after the Japanese launch... not surprising, and not exactly the best kept secret around :)

My only concern... Microsoft now opened the door for 1st party published, non-premium packaged games to be $59, instead of $49 :( So I'd expect other huge, huge titles (hello Halo 3), to likely be the same. Hopefully Sony ain't paying attention...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That seems like an odd choice. I know people are waiting for the game, but it's not Halo. I doubt it will have any significant impact on sales of the game or the PS3, though, but still...it seems like an odd choice.

I was counting on October, though. :( I'll still buy it on day 1, but I would have dedicated more time to it had it launched in October. November is always so clogged up with stuff...

I'll waiting for the first reviews before buy it, but I'm almost sure that it would be awesome.
In particular, the history (is it deep enough ?), the soundtrack and the gameplay are the main points I wanna know. Graphically, no problems: it will be the best 360's title with Bioshock for sure.

Top Bottom