• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War's EMERGENCE DAY on November 12

Mr Toast

Bad_Boy said:
Maybe, maybe not.
Question is, will this hurt GOW's launch?

this isnt just a console game vs console game type release date.
this is a console game vs a console system type release date.

Which has more hype, a console, or a console game.
not to mention, a console game that will sell consoles.

either way, i think i said console to many times.

Either way, its been done before.

Dreamcast Vs FF8, 9/9/99.

I just feel sorry for the people who have to work at a gamestore that week! :lol

awesome news now I just need to find a cheap second hand X360!

but this game will NOT stop people from buying a Wii nor a PS3 as it launches, I just find it stupid to release a game when A new console is launching especially when it´s a new Nintendo console and a new Sony Playstation!

pr0cs

Spruce Moose said:
I've been feeling like this for a few years now and I agree with your take on both of those games.

Yes because we all know that anti-360 trolling is needed in a 360 thread.

Mrbob

So I guess this is the big announcement? I had hoped it would be more than a release date. I think most of us expected sometime in November anyway.

Tieno

Epic's outspoken designer Clifford Bleszinski, currently working on anticipated Xbox 360 title Gears of War, has a different opinion about the whole thing, however. "I think video game prices need to go down," he said. "Fifty dollars is far too much for an impulse buy. Sixty dollars is completely out of the question." Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences president Joseph Olin points out that in the late 80s and early 90s, cartridge-based games were frequently priced higher than we pay for our games today. That doesn't really change CliffyB's mind.

"What other entertainment medium that's mass market is at $60 a pop?" said Cliff Bleszinski. ... So he doesn't want $60. He doesn't want $50. "I would kill to have a [top-quality] game that's jam-packed with an amazing story and amazing moments and four hours long and costs 20 bucks." He said it's possible, if only the industry cut costs by making games shorter and sweeter, but that too many gamers and publishers demand 20-hour games that are filled with the padding of having gamers repeat the same tasks again and again.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/39776

So why +10$ on a MS published title?

BlizzyAzz

Some Quotes from Mark Rein:

Actually the game will ship on November 7th so some stores will get it earlier but the date all stores will have it in stock is November 12th so they've chosen that as "Emergence Day" and Microsoft is planning a big event around that day.

[Epic]> BTW Sunday is the biggest retail day of the week for consumer electronics - I didn't know that until Microsoft told me yesterday night

Yeah I know but the option was to hold it another two weeks and then have a single street date. We didn't want to do that because that just denies fans the chance to get the game at the earliest possible date

Europe ship date is the 17th Australia and New Zealand 24th

Stores like EB and Gamestop will actually have trucks sitting in the parking lot at Microsoft's production facility and they'll get the game to many of their stores the same day. They actually absorb the extra costs of doing that. Best Buy and Wal*Mart won't do that so the 12th is the date they expect all of their stores to have it in stock.

I suspect whoever MFenix is he is some kind of insider. I said a week ago that we suspected that because he seems to know a lot about Gear lore.

Can't help that. Takes longer to manufacture in Europe because there are so many languages involved.

NO! Stores can start selling it the minute they get it. EMERGENCE DAY IS NOT A STREET DATE but rather the date all stores in North America are expected to have it in stock by

Yes voices are translated

I'm sure we'll have some cool videos to show off at some point closer to release

yes they do (say the f word)

I don't know. (If the game will feature a CTF mode)

B]It is a really beautiful book. Hardcover bound too! They had to actually make special adjustments to the tin to be able to fit it in! I think you guys are going to really enjoy the LCE. Make sure you pre-order to be guaranteed to get one as Microsoft is saying supplies might be tight. Hopefully they won't but I wouldn't take my chances.[/B]

Not sure, that's a Microsoft question (if a demo will be released)

A team of Gears (the four main characters) and a team of Locust (playable mutilplayer characters)

We've been as straight as we could be on that. The answer is probably not before the game ships. You want the game, right? Doing a demo is a big job that would hold up the release of the game.

The only one I've played personally is 4v4

If needed certainly. We like to think we're known for supporting our games better than anyone else in the biz. There will be additional content as well at some point.

Game supports both and it looks great on either SD or HD TVs. (runs in 4:3 fullscreen aswell in widescreen)

I can't say at this time because we're a long way from finalizing that. But I can say definitely additional content. (What kind of DLC will be availible)

Good question but I have no idea what the answer is. (if the english voice will be availible in the non english speaking territorities)

The graphics are fastastic in MP. You will not be disappointed!

We've only announced the game for PC and PS3 and we only have it working on PC and PS3. We're not doing any Xbox360 development for UT2007 at this time.

It is a BIG job to make video we're happy enough to release. It isn't something we can just shove out the door.

UT2007 is still a long way off - maybe you'll upgrade your PC by then!

Sorry we don't do studio visits.

Can't comment on that (NDA) (if they recieved a Nintendo Wii Devkit)

No actually we weren't. We had nothing to do with it. (The whole Code thang)

No we had nothing to do with that. I suspect whoever MFenix is he/she is some sort of insider. I told folks that the second or third day because some of the message he/she sent seemed to have intimate knowledge of Gears lore that I wasn't sure we had released.

I don't know if that has been reported or not :) (how many weapons will be in the game)

I'm not going to comment on vehicles stuff (Based on design or function, which of the following two vehicles are your favorite, the Armadillo or the King Raven? Or do you hold both with equal value?)

Cliff already accidentally leaked something in that area :(

Yes in co-op the second player plays as Dom

We love you guys. Without you we're broke!

Berserker is an ass kicker

rastex

Banned
Tieno said:
So why +10$ on a MS published title?

Ya, it is pretty annoying. The +10 that other publishers put on is to offset liscensing costs. But MS doesn't have to pay any liscense costs, so it's pretty cheeky of them to do this.

I wish they'd pulled the trigger and went straight for PS3 Launch Day.

"Rick Stamfel, WKLD. What are YOU in line for?"
"PS--"
*shove*
"GEARS OF WAR *************************A!!!"
*clack*
*clack*
*BL-BLAOW*

uatu.jpg

"YEAH. THAT WOULD'VE BEEN ****ING SWEET."

Tieno

rastex said:
Ya, it is pretty annoying. The +10 that other publishers put on is to offset liscensing costs. But MS doesn't have to pay any liscense costs, so it's pretty cheeky of them to do this.
Yeah, but Cliffy's rant a few months earlier makes this even more 'cheeky'.

Answer: 'because they can'.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I dont get why everyone thinks this game will be a huge seller. Its NOT Halo.

kia said:

:lol

MH-Eddie-Doherty-young-reporter.jpg

"Rick Jenkins, The Daily Ombudsman. Can I quote you on that? 'kia'...is that with one K? Thanks, buddy. Wowzers, what a scoop!"

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Vark said:
Neither was Halo until it came out :p
Halo was a launch title which Microsoft advertised it as a second to jesus, and of course it was a FPS game.

careksims

*already pre-ordered a Collector's Edtion* Yeah, I one of those fools. Yeah I was hoping for October too... It better not have a crappy artbook. The Wii and GoW in November... my wallet's crying bloody murder.

Kevtones

Highly collectable metal box!!! pfft

There better be a mention of GAF in the 'making of' sections of that bonus DVD Cliffy~

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Shacknews said:
"What other entertainment medium that's mass market is at $60 a pop?" said Cliff Bleszinski. ... So he doesn't want $60. He doesn't want $50. "I would kill to have a [top-quality] game that's jam-packed with an amazing story and amazing moments and four hours long and costs 20 bucks." He said it's possible, if only the industry cut costs by making games shorter and sweeter, but that too many gamers and publishers demand 20-hour games that are filled with the padding of having gamers repeat the same tasks again and again.

You know, as much as I tend to loathe the Epic's painfully generic products, CliffyB's got more sense in him than I typically grant him credit for.

More details from Mark Rein in the GoW forum.

Hi Folks,

As many of you are already aware today Microsoft announced launch details for Gears of War. Here's what we know so far...

In North America Emergence Day is November 12th. What that means is November 12th is the date by which all of the stores in North America will have the game on their shelves and for which Microsoft tells us they're going to organize some cool Emergence Day event.

However to get to stores in time for that the actual game will ship on November 7th. Some stores, like EB & Gamestop, will, at their own additional expense, park their trucks at Microsoft's warehouse and start taking deliveries at midnight on the 7th in an effort to get it to their stores right away - in some cases possibly even that day or a day or two later. The big boys, like Wal*Mart and Best Buy, have too many stores and are too complex to do that so they'll ship it through their distribution centers and spinkle it into theirs stores as best they can. What Microsoft tells us is if we ship on the 7th then 12th is the safe date for when all the stores will have and that's why it will be Emergence Day. We only have solid details like this for North America at this point in time.

It’s a little different in every region around the world.

In Europe, which is a huge market for us, they ship the game to retail on Nov 17. From country to country supply chains and delivery dates of product can vary, but in general Nov 17 is Emergence Day for Europe and you’ll see the game in stores from that day forward.

For Australia/New Zealand their ship date is November 24th. Japan gets the game in December. We're waiting for details on other territories but that's what we know so far.

You can read the full announcement at:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/community/news/2006/0803-gow-emergenceday.htm

Odysseus

Banned
I wonder if the LCE will be as limited as the Halo 2 LCE?

Alternative meaning: Should I purchase it this year despite not having a 360?

Odysseus

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
lol its like they just push japan to the side, "they get it when they get it."

not that i dont blame them.

Hey, they fully plan on selling all 12 copies they ship over there.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
kia said:

Microsoft are billing it as the next Halo. And the marketing is going to unprecedented.

IMO it has potential to do more than Halo. Them mass market gamers loves them some horror and gore.

jetjevons said:
Microsoft are billing it as the next Halo. And the marketing is going to unprecedented.

IMO it has potential to do more than Halo. Them mass market gamers loves them some horror and gore.

I agree. If they keep marketing this strongly (which they will), it will definitely be in consumers' minds this holiday. Personally, I don't think there are any PS3 launch titles (yet) with the buzz and the polish and the sheer awesomeness that this game displayed, and if there's even one person on Earth basing their purchasing decisions on games that are actually out and available, this might sway their vote.

threeball

Banned
I don't get why this game is so hyped either. It looks nothing more to me than another generic shooter, from a 3rd person angle. What is ground breaking new about this game? Graphics? The character models look generic and uninspired as well. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it seems like a lot of this games' hype is generated by Microsoft.

And how would launching this into the Wii launch steal Wii sales? It wouldn't. Besides, how does everyone know Wii will launch Nov 12 anywy?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
BenjaminBirdie said:
I agree. If they keep marketing this strongly (which they will), it will definitely be in consumers' minds this holiday. Personally, I don't think there are any PS3 launch titles (yet) with the buzz and the polish and the sheer awesomeness that this game displayed, and if there's even one person on Earth basing their purchasing decisions on games that are actually out and available, this might sway their vote.

You know, I think the media are going to end up (inappropriately) comparing Gears to Resistance, which isn't going to go well for Sony.

jetjevons said:
You know, I think the media are going to end up (inappropriately) comparing Gears to Resistance, which isn't going to go well for Sony.

Ohhh, not in the least, no.

Man, yeah. If commercials for both are running at the same time, well, damn. They better reunite Team Killzone for Operation: Media Obfuscation!

threeball said:
I don't get why this game is so hyped either. It looks nothing more to me than another generic shooter, from a 3rd person angle. What is ground breaking new about this game? Graphics? The character models look generic and uninspired as well. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it seems like a lot of this games' hype is generated by Microsoft.

And how would launching this into the Wii launch steal Wii sales? It wouldn't. Besides, how does everyone know Wii will launch Nov 12 anywy?

How's the electroshock therapy going?

threeball said:

The hype has been building ever since Epic showed UE3 for the first time. And if you can't figure out why people want the game you probably don't get why people like Halo either.

Although it won't impact PS3 sales, I think it will still sell quite well (RHYME, RHYME, RHYME). Remember, the XBox-centric Halo was still nothing before it launched--heck, if I remember it correctly, people were laughing at it due to its terrible framerate, forced first-person view, and seemingly rushed design. Look at it now.

I don't even have a 360 and I crave TEH WAR!!1

Angelcurio

So they are launching their biggest IP of this year in the middle of the PS3, Wii, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, Final Fantasy XII? Interesting :lol

Magazine covers, in huge letters "PS3/Wii HANDS ON, FIRST IMPRESSIONS INSIDE, LAUCNH TITLES PREVIEWS", "SEE THE FINAL REVIEW OF ZELDA TP, METROID PRIME", and in very tiny words "gow launched". :D

They hype of a console launch is huge, let alone 2 :lol

threeball

Banned
Shogmaster said:
How's the electroshock therapy going?

I don't know what you are talking about, but its an opinion, which may be different than others'.

I just don't like the direction of this game. Instead of trying to be creative, it seems that they are just taking the easy route and taking what we have seen over and over again on the XBox, PC, and 360 and putting all together and trying to polish it up as good as they can, instead of trying something new, then slapping a 3rd person camera instead of a 1st to make it seem more original. From all I have seen, there is nothing really new about this game. The character models look like they came from Quake, the enemy models look like they came from Half Life, the weapons and such are from all other shooters in the past, and it looks like the objectives are to eliminate the enemy by mindless shooting.

I think the shooter genre is going to be worn out before the end of the generation. Like platformers in the 2D days, they will all be so overdone and similar to eachother that its pointless to try and make a new one.

threeball said:
I don't know what you are talking about, but its an opinion, which may be different than others'.

I just don't like the direction of this game. Instead of trying to be creative, it seems that they are just taking the easy route and taking what we have seen over and over again on the XBox, PC, and 360 and putting all together and trying to polish it up as good as they can, instead of trying something new, then slapping a 3rd person camera instead of a 1st to make it seem more original. From all I have seen, there is nothing really new about this game. The character models look like they came from Quake, the enemy models look like they came from Half Life, the weapons and such are from all other shooters in the past, and it looks like the objectives are to eliminate the enemy by mindless shooting.

I think the shooter genre is going to be worn out before the end of the generation. Like platformers in the 2D days, they will all be so overdone and similar to eachother that its pointless to try and make a new one.

So it's not going too well?

robertsan21 said:
awesome news now I just need to find a cheap second hand X360!

but this game will NOT stop people from buying a Wii nor a PS3 as it launches, I just find it stupid to release a game when A new console is launching especially when it´s a new Nintendo console and a new Sony Playstation!

Of course it wont stop the people that are purchasing a PS3. Yet even though the PS3 will be sold out and pre-ordered you will still have people that come into the stores thinking they can pick one up for Johnny. PS3 wont be available and they see the 360 with GOW running on it and go wow and look at it compared to what the demo PS3 has playing on it and say to themselves "Johnny will be happy with this". Some of these people wont even know a PS3 sells for $599 and go no fing way is Johnny getting that this Xmas and get a 360 instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shogmaster said:

care to suggest why its different to those comments rather than just make pithy comments? (although thats fun too)

I didn't play it at E3 but it looks derivitive to me. If it genuinely pulls off what I'd imagine I'd expect from duck and cover gameplay then I might be interested, but its difficult for me to get that from simple screens/videos

qcf x2

This appeals to a broader audience than Halo did. I eventually bought both Halos, despite not being a fan of FPS at all. Loved them. Most of the people I know that bought/enjoyed Halo weren't big fans of the genre and were aprehensive at first.

If anything this could be an even bigger success.

mrklaw said:
care to suggest why its different to those comments rather than just make pithy comments? (although thats fun too)

I didn't play it at E3 but it looks derivitive to me. If it genuinely pulls off what I'd imagine I'd expect from duck and cover gameplay then I might be interested, but its difficult for me to get that from simple screens/videos

But getting our collective panties in a bunch over the incredibly original and exciting gameplay presented in the Heavenly Sword demo is justified I guess.
Ninja Theory should concentrate on getting the game's action pace to at least to the God of War level before it ships instead of just polishing the graphics. The game felt like it was like playing at half the speed of GoW or Ninja Gaiden

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never said that, please don't assume I have an agenda. Heavenly sword looks like Ninety nine nights, looks like dead rising. Only reviews/hands on opinions will tell me whether they are anything other than button mashing shallow nonsense.

I'm actually not sure there is anything in the PS3 launch window that interests me, but I'll pick it up at launch because I like the frenzy, want to try bluray out (assuming there are any properly encoded movies by then), and know there *will* be good stuff out so might as well get it early.

you didn't answer my question btw.

mrklaw said:
I never said that, please don't assume I have an agenda. Heavenly sword looks like Ninety nine nights, looks like dead rising. Only reviews/hands on opinions will tell me whether they are anything other than button mashing shallow nonsense.

Back to my previous comment?

If we are gonna be engaging in debates over why one game is not exciting to another person's personal preferences, we might as well just spend the time masterbating. A lot more productive that way.

His whole "analysis" consisted of bitching about the game not fitting his personal preferences. Pretty ****ing useless to the discussion at hand.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shogmaster said:
*taps shoulder*

And for the rest of you who dropped into this thread just to bitch about how GoW isn't Halo, feel free to smarten up as well. If you're going to bitch about anything, ask why MS is pushing up the price on a first party title instead of passing the licensing savings on to consumers.

carry on

Top Bottom