• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War's EMERGENCE DAY on November 12

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
With every single step MS takes, it looks like they are building (hoping?) this to be the next Halo. I wonder if it will be!

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
With every single step MS takes, it looks like they are building (hoping?) this to be the next Halo. I wonder if it will be!

I think it will definitely be one of 360s top selling games in its life. So, by extension, I bet it will be one of the best selling games from the gen period

Will this hurt the PS3 launch? Does launching a hyped game against another consoles launch ever actually hurt that consoles launch? This type of reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Seriously what kind of evidence is there that someone who is willing to stump up the kind of money needed for a console launch would, on being unable to purchase said console, go "okay, I'll take this other console that although it's been out for 12 months I have had no intention of buying, until this second"?

hmm, I don't think releasing GoW the day after PS3 lauches in Japan and a few days before the US and Europe gets it is going to help it's sales or press coverage. It seems like a pretty bad time to launch it. Still, GoW looks great, I definitely would like to get this on day 1.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Y2Kevbug11 said:

That seems to be the idea and they could use the bolster.

Jim

Kleegamefan said:
PS3 launches Nov. 17th, doesn't it?

Had the Japanese and North American dates reversed, oops. But yeah, it's a strategically chosen date for sure.

artist

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Will this hurt the PS3 launch? Does launching a hyped game against another consoles launch ever actually hurt that consoles launch? This type of reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Seriously what kind of evidence is there that someone who is willing to stump up the kind of money needed for a console launch would, on being unable to purchase said console, go "okay, I'll take this other console that although it's been out for 12 months I have had no intention of buying, until this second"?
There will be no game on PS3 this year that will be even close to GoW's standards. I think it only furthers the selling point of 360 dont know about 'hurting'.

Xellotah

Die Squirrel Die said:

Its not just about hurting the competitor, its also about ensuring that you own products grab a chunk of the limelight as well.

Launching about 1 week before PS3 launch (In US) is a really good plan. Stores will sell the first shipment and be able to have 360 kiosk's updated with Gears of War in them. People coming in to see and hopefully purchase PS3 (fools) as Christmas presents will find them sold out and the 360 kiosk with Gears of War will really be a good marketing tool.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

OMG Microsoft are copying Sony by concentrating on new franchises :O

Seriously it's definately the best thing to do, drop the old in with the new.

Jim said:
Had the Japanese and North American dates reversed, oops. But yeah, it's a strategically chosen date for sure.

Not to mention that it's released just in time for the following week's Black Friday. Hardcore sales the first week....new shipment the next week....casual sales the day after Thanksgiving.

bill0527

Die Squirrel Die said:

As I pointed out, it will not hurt the PS3 launch and everyone knows this.

The timing of the release is to try and pick up disappointed people who don't hit the PS3 launch day lottery and if even one of those people picks up an Xbox360 and Gears of War, then the strategy is a success.

Tieno

I was hoping for an october release. This is so close to my finals. I'll probably only be able to play it one or two weekends.
This holiday is going to be crazy!!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
bill0527 said:
As I pointed out, it will not hurt the PS3 launch and everyone knows this.
Maybe, maybe not.
Question is, will this hurt GOW's launch?

this isnt just a console game vs console game type release date.
this is a console game vs a console system type release date.

Which has more hype, a console, or a console game.
not to mention, a console game that will sell consoles.

either way, i think i said console to many times.

Zaptruder

Banned
Damn jerks.

I wanted to play this game at launch!

I'll need to import it; which will add an additional 5-10 days for transit, by which time I'll have my PS3.

I'll pick it up when PS3 launch cools down.

Xellotah

Bad_Boy said:
Maybe, maybe not.
Question is, will this hurt GOW's launch?

this isnt just a console game vs console game type release date.
this is a console game vs a console system type release date.

Which has more hype, a console, or a console game.
not to mention, a console game that will sell consoles.

either way, i think i said console to many times.

I don't think Microsoft can afford to give the PS3 a free run. Even if the PS3 will sell out anyway, Microsoft still needs have something to pull attention to the X360 and GOW is probably the strongest card.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So this is BEFORE PS3 launch? That sucks...

This will likely be one of the best titles this fall, but hardware launches are very exciting and my enjoyment of the game could be hurt by this. I'll either end up rushing through it or simply throw it aside for a couple weeks, in which case, my experience will be damaged. In the face of other game releases, I'd keep going, but console launches are different. Ah well, what can you do.

I just hope the gameplay works out. I still have a lot of questions about the core mechanics as they continue to keep them from us (or disable them in the demos). Those could make or break the game...

Tieno

Xellotah said:
I don't think Microsoft can afford to give the PS3 a free run. Even if the PS3 will sell out anyway, Microsoft still needs have something to pull attention to the X360 and GOW is probably the strongest card.
Yeah, if not to combat the PS3 launch then to keep the X360 fanbase happy during a time where a lot of attention is going to be spent on PS3 and Wii.

ConsumerSquare said:
So what are the big September and October releases if this is set for November?

Mostly the yearly sports updates and SC: DA. Everything else has placeholder release dates at the moment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dark10x said:

This will likely be one of the best titles this fall, but hardware launches are very exciting and my enjoyment of the game could be hurt by this. I'll either end up rushing through it or simply throw it aside for a couple weeks, in which case, my experience will be damaged. In the face of other game releases, I'd keep going, but console launches are different. Ah well, what can you do.

I just hope the gameplay works out. I still have a lot of questions about the core mechanics as they continue to keep them from us (or disable them in the demos). Those could make or break the game...

nah. If you're buying a PS3, why not just enjoy this for a few days, then drop the 360 and bask in the glory of the PS3 launch. Then a few days later when you're bored of the rushed launch games, go play GoW again.

Azazela

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

I doubt it because games that aim for a similiar audience cannabalize on each other's sales. Look a XBox's racers, there were too many of them simply hand to much competition to break through and become established.

EDIT: LOL @ Funxbox 2000 days :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Xellotah said:
Well said. They still have their camera and HD-DVD drive planned for fall also right?

dark10x said:

well, after and before.

After Japan launch nov11th, Before NA launch nov 17th. I expect the whole nov 11th - nov 17th time period to have a pretty big buzz around here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mrklaw said:
I think I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I don't get Gears of War, and 'Emergence Day' and all the hype just seems artificially created by MS.

And I think Dead Rising just looks like shallow trash.

"dear god, please let me enjoy games again like I used to."

It's pretty obvious you've fallen out of love with games, and you can't admit it to yourself.

Azazela

Banned
Why do they make CE editions for no name games? What if this game is the next Daikatana, Fable, Killzone, Brute Force
Too Human
?

I understand when it's something proven like Zelda, Final Fantasy, Halo etc.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
best time to launch. Everyone knows Wii and PS3 are going to get tons of attention but if Microsoft releases a killer app that everyone is buzzing about, then the 360 will get some of that attention and there will be plenty of units on shelves to entice holiday gift givers.

dark10x

Azazela said:
Why do they make CE editions for no name games? What if this game is the next Daikatana, Fable, Killzone, Brute Force
Too Human
?

I understand when it's something proven like Zelda, Final Fantasy, Halo etc.
They know it will sell. Fable and Brute Force are games I detest, but they both sold very well for MS. I doubt Gears of War will be of such low quality, but there IS a distinct possiblity that it will be average. Of course, it is just as likely that it will be AAA. The team working on it has yet to demonstrate that they are capable of making a truly AAA single player title.

Just hope it isn't like that awful Digital Extremes game for XBOX and PC (used Unreal engine). Can't recall the name, but it was terrible.

Like I said, though, regardless of quality, the game WILL sell and they will make money.

Wollan

I think all the E3 previews speak for the games qualities.
Sounds like they actually nailed the 'duck & cover' gameplay that so many games have tried before it. It doesnt hurt that it looks insane and shooting seems like a ton of fun(the sound/smoke/blood gives me a climax or two).

Wollan said:
Sounds like they actually nailed the 'duck & cover' gameplay that so many games have tried before it. It doesnt hurt that it looks insane and shooting seems like a ton of fun(the sound/smoke/blood gives me a climax or two).
QFT.

I'm really looking forward to this one. Too bad we have to wait a little longer than expected, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. :)

dark10x

Wollan said:
See, I don't know...the E3 build is one of the reasons why I'm questioning the game. There were a lot of things that weren't completed (obviously) and the quality of the game hinges upon those decisions (not completely, of course).

I think it will at least be GOOD, but I'm hoping they aim for TRULY GREAT and reach it.

mrklaw said:
I think I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I don't get Gears of War, and 'Emergence Day' and all the hype just seems artificially created by MS.

Then consider me a grumpy old man also because I've never gotten the absurd hype for either of those games. Gears of War I can understand since it appeases graphics whores but Dead Rising? Right. What the hell happend to the October release date? I wish companies would start spreading some of this shit out, especially with the abysmal summers we always have.

Juice

Wait a second... so the huge surprise was a ****ing delay?

Wasn't this slated for October release a week ago?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Juice said:
Wait a second... so the huge surprise was a ****ing delay?

Wasn't this slated for October release a week ago?

I think EGM's E3 issue even has it slated for September...

mrklaw said:

I've been feeling like this for a few years now and I agree with your take on both of those games.

Top Bottom